How To: Play Your PS3 Through Your PC's Monitor/Speakers - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

How To: Play Your PS3 Through Your PC's Monitor/Speakers

post #1 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 429 (Unique: 250)
When I first got my PS3 my goal was to run my video through my computer monitor and my audio through my computer speakers. I put together this little guide to help anyone else looking to do the same thing. This saves you from having to go through your TV's audio/video if it's not as nice as your monitor & computer speakers.

Step 1, Video:
Forget the stock RCA component cable, what you really need is an HDMI --> DVI cable. But before you pay $100+ at Best Buy remember that Google is your friend. You can get the same cable online for under $5 is you look hard enough. I ended up going with a higher quality Monster Cable that still came out to only $12 shipped.

PS3 --> HMDI to DVI Cable --> DVI Switch --> DVI Cable --> Monitor

Step 2, Audio:
You'd ideally use HDMI for your audio but not with computer speakers. I used the RCA component cable for the audio (red & white) only. But again, not the stock cable, I used my left over Monster Cable from my PS2. Here's the Monster Cable next to the stock one. BIG difference!

Next you have to figure how to get RCAs male ends of the component cable to connect to the headset jack male end on your computer speakers. I looked through my garage and found a double sided female RCA (for red & white) adapter. Then I bought another wire at Radioshack (for around $8) that was male RCAs --> male headset jack. Then A female/female headset jack adapter. Finally you plug that into your green computer speaker cable. It sounds like a handful but once it's put together you see how it goes.

PS3 --> Component Cable --> Female/Female RCA Adapter --> RCA to Headset Jack Cable --> Female/Female Headset Jack Adapter --> Computer Speakers

Bonus Step:
I ran into a problem using DVI for both my PC & PS3. My monitor only has one DVI input so I'd have to manually switch cables every time I wanted to switch between the PC & PS3 or I needed to find another solution. Well I looked into getting a DVI KVM switch. They're pretty expensive so I turned to ebay and found one for pretty cheap. It takes both DVI outputs from your PC & PS3 and sends it to your monitor through one DVI cable. All you need to do then it press the switch button to toggle between the two sources.

Once it's all tucked away behind the desk the setup looks pretty nice if I don't say so myself.

Also check out my PS3 Hard Drive Swapping Guide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 PM

hmm lets see some ps3 gaming action!
post #3 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 10:18 PM
I might have tacos tonite

Rep: 489 (Unique: 344)
Nice guide .

I did this with my dreamcast (lol), but I had an AIW ATi card to make everything easy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Nice guide...looks like you spent around 30...30 bucks?

post #5 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:53 AM
New to Overclock.net

this is an excellent thread. answers all my questions, except one: i have just bought the 60gb version plus ridge racer for some $1,000. it's only just been released in england. (i have also seen your guide to swapping hard drives. EXCELLENT!!). but i only have a standard vga 1280x1024 monitor. it doesn't even have a name as it came seperate from my pc. but with this setup you have laid out, will i still be able to use the monitor with both pc and ps3? could you please advise me on this. much appreciated.

edit: after an extensive search on our favourite search engine, i have found quite a few ways to get around the problem that vga monitors pose to some of us unfortunate few. still using transonic's guide, you simply add a dvi-i --->vga adapter, available from numerous different suppliers. this will be connected to the inland kvm switch, or which ever one you prefer, on the monitor output.i will definitely be looking to buy these to use my ps3 on my monitor. i might look into buying an hd ready tv to use as a monitor in the distant future though. hope this helps anyone who has the same problem. peace

post #6 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 11:56 AM
In VB's Basement

Nice on there mate. I wish I could do with this with a darn VGA monitor . If I could I would do it straight away...however im already defeated lol

Need help with your account or something forum related ? Please use our Contact Us form

post #7 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 42)
So you have to switch the speakers between the computer and PS3? do u need to physically unplug and replug? or is there a switch box thing like the DVI KVM switch?

post #8 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Retired Staff

Rep: 429 (Unique: 250)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_sony View Post
So you have to switch the speakers between the computer and PS3? do u need to physically unplug and replug? or is there a switch box thing like the DVI KVM switch?
Well I used to use my speakers on my pc when I watched DVDs and use my 5.1 Medusas for gaming. Now I only use my headset for my PC & speakers only for the PS3 so no more switching wires.

post #9 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-27-2007, 09:15 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 51 (Unique: 42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transonic View Post
Well I used to use my speakers on my pc when I watched DVDs and use my 5.1 Medusas for gaming. Now I only use my headset for my PC & speakers only for the PS3 so no more switching wires.
oh..

post #10 of 151 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

I followed all of your instructions, but received an "Out of Frequency" error on a black screen. It seems that the PS3 is broadcasting on a lower vertical frequency than my ViewSonic monitor can handle.

Can anyone help me adjust the settings on the PS3 to avoid this error?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in