[IGN] E3 2013: Nvidia Says Next-Gen Consoles 'Nothing But Good News' - Page 2 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[IGN] E3 2013: Nvidia Says Next-Gen Consoles 'Nothing But Good News'

post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 265 (Unique: 190)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribozyme View Post

Yes I don't trust that chart either. AMD lost 10% market share in a year?

What is the reason it is so hard to believe?

I'd much prefer people refute with evidence, rather than just contrary statements and disapproval.

edit: *looks up* see, like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 463 (Unique: 307)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

Here's a separate chart previously released by Mercury Research (who is the cited source of the data). The relevant charts are Exhibits 5 and 6 at the top.

If you need a second source of data, Jon Peddie Research independently came up with the following quarterly market share numbers for discrete GPUs:
Code:
BRAND   Q2'12 Q3'12 Q4'12 Q1'13
-------------------------------------
AMD     40.3% 35.7% 34.3% 35.7%
NVIDIA  59.3% 64.0% 65.7% 64.3%

In other words NVIDIA's chart is legit. thumb.gif

post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

If you need a second source of data, Jon Peddie Research independently came up with the following quarterly market share numbers for discrete GPUs:
Code:
BRAND   Q2'12 Q3'12 Q4'12 Q1'13
-------------------------------------
AMD     40.3% 35.7% 34.3% 35.7%
NVIDIA  59.3% 64.0% 65.7% 64.3%

Look at the Y-axis on Nvidia's chart....

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Bite my shiny metal GPU!

Rep: 406 (Unique: 283)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Look at the Y-axis on Nvidia's chart....

If you're referring to the discrepancy in Q2'12 market share between NVIDIA's chart and JPR's numbers, I believe that JPR is reporting discrete desktop cards, while NVIDIA's chart is combining discrete desktop and notebook GPUs. AMD's market share for notebook discrete GPUs dropped quite a bit more in Q2'12 than their desktop GPUs according to the Exhibit 6 of the larger chart from Mercury Research that I posted, an occurrence that didn't happen in any other quarter.

If you're referring to the Y-axis being truncated to only being between 30% to 70% with 5% marking intervals, I can see why they did it because it covers the entire range of results within its borders without discontinuities.

However, I've been on record saying that I prefer full-range charts starting at 0% with no gaps so that even less sophisticated readers cannot be confused or misled, so I will register my disapproval of NVIDIA using that format in said chart. Fair is fair, after all...

post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 20 (Unique: 20)
Sounds very possible and legit, AMD needed this gaming market to secure their funds and status for the next decade at least, this will give them the edge with the more popular gaming market.
Given that they made both chips for sony and microsoft they have done theirselves a great service. Now Nvidia doesn't have to worry about AMD splerging funds in order to compete with PC gamers.
I think by the time we see the 8k series cards, they will be with us for a long time before we see something else.

Its all about Haswell-E and my new build coming soon, can't wait!biggrin.gif

Play With Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/iamenglishtv/
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 148 (Unique: 129)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azanimefan View Post

when all the new games work with Opencl and not Physx, Nvidia won't be happy anymore. Nvidia's OpenCL performance has been about as bad as AMDs PhysX performance.

based on the insanely cheap prices for the 7xxx series gpus since last fall, i'd say nvidia's chart is legit. AMD's early driver issues with the 7xxx series really killed that lineup. In a way i'm glad i missed all that. Got my brand new voltage unlocked 7770 ghz ed dirt cheap because of it ($84)

you wish. DirectX will always rule over OpenGL and PhysX/CUDA/DirectCompute will always rule over OpenCL. open-sourced softwares are NEVER mainstream. the only exception is Android but we all know that most companies that use that proprietized the heck out of it.

the chart looks legit given how much driver trouble AMD had and how their CFX solutions are still unusable, they lose almost all of the multi-GPU customers.

post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Retired Staff

Rep: 4426 (Unique: 2045)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james8 View Post

open-sourced softwares are NEVER mainstream. the only exception is Android but we all know that most companies that use that proprietized the heck out of it.

...what are you talking about?

OSS is the norm in billions of embedded devices and servers.

There are plenty of OSS that own the market.... i.e. Eclipse, Linux-Apache-MySQL-Php/Perl/Python (LAMP)

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:21 PM
s-x
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 82)
Post has been up for 5 hours and no mod has asked for a source? I even did a report. (i believe the article exists but still its like rule #1 for news)

I dont really care if Nvidia has 60% market share in dedicated cards. The future will be APUs/IGP and then on to cloud gaming. Hate it if you want as high performance PCs are a niche, but Steam surveys clearly shows a APU/IGP leading, out of the top 6 'graphics cards' 4 of them are IGP.. This years new consoles will be solely powered by APUs, and Onlive already proved that cloud gaming is VERY viable for anyone with a half decent connection, and there are more people with internet connections then expensive dedicated GPUs..
post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 12:48 PM

I keep thinking of a certain scene from the movie Good Will Hunting, something about apples you see...

post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james8 View Post

you wish. DirectX will always rule over OpenGL and PhysX/CUDA/DirectCompute will always rule over OpenCL. open-sourced softwares are NEVER mainstream. the only exception is Android but we all know that most companies that use that proprietized the heck out of it.

the chart looks legit given how much driver trouble AMD had and how their CFX solutions are still unusable, they lose almost all of the multi-GPU customers.
Not really, quite a few of DirectX technology's were innovated by OpenGL. OpenGL has always been a few steps ahead if DirectX, the only problem is nobody wants to use it because its an open standard. Plus with Windows being the biggest portion of the market share, why not use DirectX which is already provided and locked down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in