[IGN] E3 2013: Nvidia Says Next-Gen Consoles 'Nothing But Good News' - Page 3 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

[IGN] E3 2013: Nvidia Says Next-Gen Consoles 'Nothing But Good News'

post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opcode View Post

Not really, quite a few of DirectX technology's were innovated by OpenGL. OpenGL has always been a few steps ahead if DirectX, the only problem is nobody wants to use it because its an open standard. Plus with Windows being the biggest portion of the market share, why not use DirectX which is already provided and locked down.
Not exactly. OpenGL might pioneer things, but it has always been inefficient as hell. DX has always been the better choice, in every way. That's why nobody wants to use it. If it was worth using, we would see more games for macs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:34 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 959 (Unique: 560)
This Graph only shows the past.

I think you should refer to a graph that shows the future. doh.gif

??? ? ? ?⌨️??? ???

post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:38 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 463 (Unique: 307)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRLiToS View Post

This Graph only shows the past.

I think you should refer to a graph that shows the future. doh.gif

Can you give me this week's lottery numbers too?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:39 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 33)
"Sir, our sales are falling."

"Release the GTX Titan 2"

(Tech media is then flooded with speculations about the Titan 2 for the next few months)
post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 609 (Unique: 499)
The more a company kevtchs about something the more you know it bothers them. The AMD sweep of the consoles is a guaranteed chunk of revenue for them for at least the next 5 years, the profits per device, while very low today, will grow each year as the process technology gets older, and all these console games are being optimized to run on AMD hardware, which can only translate to better performance on AMD gpu's on the PC.

As much as Nvidia tries to spin this the console coup by AMD was a big win for them and their graphics division.

Audio setup: Xonar Essence ST into Niles SI-275 amplifier driving CSW Tower II speakers paired with M&K MX-70 subwoofer. Headphones: DT880 Pro 250ohm
post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 959 (Unique: 560)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

Can you give me this week's lottery numbers too?

I cannot guess the luck but seing AMD improvements and their current potential, the latest graph I posted might be feasible.

(Of course I exagerrated it wink.gif )

??? ? ? ?⌨️??? ???

post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:08 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 218 (Unique: 113)
Haven't we seen those numbers before? AMD lost so much discreet market share because nvidia kept winning mobile contracts. If you take a look around you won't find many new laptops with an AMD discreet GPU. When it comes to desktop, both companies are on a rough 60-40 balance since 2006 or so.

post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta Squidge View Post

Not exactly. OpenGL might pioneer things, but it has always been inefficient as hell. DX has always been the better choice, in every way. That's why nobody wants to use it. If it was worth using, we would see more games for macs.
Please do explain how OpenGL is such an inefficient API. I can tell you right now developers use DirectX over OpenGL because they want to use a locked down API. It doesn't favor developers when players can openly view the source code that the games 3D engine is based upon. It's the fact of the matter when game developers run into a problem, they will get no support from Microsoft. It's not because OpenGL is bad, khronos has always been two steps ahead of Microsoft.
post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 02:51 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 267 (Unique: 236)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

Here's a separate chart previously released by Mercury Research (who is the cited source of the data). The relevant charts are Exhibits 5 and 6 at the top.

If you need a second source of data, Jon Peddie Research independently came up with the following quarterly market share numbers for discrete GPUs:
Code:
BRAND   Q2'12 Q3'12 Q4'12 Q1'13
-------------------------------------
AMD     40.3% 35.7% 34.3% 35.7%
NVIDIA  59.3% 64.0% 65.7% 64.3%

In other words NVIDIA's chart is legit. thumb.gif

The data is legit, but the spacing of the chart is horrible. The spacing of it (leaving out the top and bottom 30%) makes it look like AMD has a tiny share and Nvidia has a very large one, when infact the difference is not so extreme.

And we all know that some people are even too lazy to read words and just look at the pretty pictures with line graphs.

The AMD ASRock Extreme Series Motherboard Club
Rkingsmiley.png FLAC > Essence STX > Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohm thumbsupsmiley.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitzogreg go_quote.gif

Hmm, I don't know of any other company that charges $15 for a kick to the testicles.
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 463 (Unique: 307)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post

The data is legit, but the spacing of the chart is horrible. The spacing of it (leaving out the top and bottom 30%) makes it look like AMD has a tiny share and Nvidia has a very large one, when infact the difference is not so extreme.

And we all know that some people are even too lazy to read words and just look at the pretty pictures with line graphs.

Agreed, I don't know what it is with their marketing dept's, they over exaggerate their chart's data...

I've seen charts that start at 80% and go up to 120%

Some others overly exaggerated as well...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in