[IGN] E3 2013: Nvidia Says Next-Gen Consoles 'Nothing But Good News' - Page 4 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

[IGN] E3 2013: Nvidia Says Next-Gen Consoles 'Nothing But Good News'

post #31 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:12 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 959 (Unique: 560)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkin93 View Post

The data is legit, but the spacing of the chart is horrible. The spacing of it (leaving out the top and bottom 30%) makes it look like AMD has a tiny share and Nvidia has a very large one, when infact the difference is not so extreme.

And we all know that some people are even too lazy to read words and just look at the pretty pictures with line graphs.

Yes, you are right. Be we clearly see that its a graph made by Nvidia, they always do their graphs like this

A spacing like this would have been more acceptable.

??? ? ? ?⌨️??? ???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:16 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 19 (Unique: 19)
Back to the original point of the thread. I agree with Nvidia, whether they are speaking from a business standpoint or an industry standpoint, I agree. I'm not much of a console person personally but doesn't mean I don't think they have a place. But, when Crysis one came out it was an incredibly advanced game with features built into the engine that were WAY beyond it's time which obviously led to inefficiencies that never really got perfected. Instead, they took an different approach with the Crytek 2 engine. They went to a scalable system to support consoles and whether we argue the graphics in the game were equivalent or not, the OVERALL graphic potential of the system was less than the previous engine. The truth is what everyone has been saying in the thread, in order for games to be on all systems the engines have to be able to run on all of them which means coding for the lowest common denominator. With all the systems on an x86 system it's going to be fun to see what they pull from the GPU's considering what they did with the GPU's running in the XBox and the PS3. (and they weren't OVERLY powerful remembering they were like Nvidia 7600 equivalents or something and they pulled some great GFX out of it) Whether people argue or not, whether Nvidia meant this or not, new console hardware, AMD or Nvidia based will allow developers to finally push some boundaries. I'm not a game developer but I've dabbled with some code and it's pretty amazing what the DX10 SDK's can do and if I can figure out how to build a tessellation demo liquid flow demos than I can only imagine what GOOD developers with years of experience will be able to pull off. I look forward to a new generation of games, especially with some of those Epic 3 demos I've watched.
post #33 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:42 PM
OG OC

Rep: 117 (Unique: 105)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygaffer View Post

The more a company kevtchs about something the more you know it bothers them. The AMD sweep of the consoles is a guaranteed chunk of revenue for them for at least the next 5 years, the profits per device, while very low today, will grow each year as the process technology gets older, and all these console games are being optimized to run on AMD hardware, which can only translate to better performance on AMD gpu's on the PC.

As much as Nvidia tries to spin this the console coup by AMD was a big win for them and their graphics division.

See, here's what I don't get. If you sell 10 billion units but make no profit doing it, that's not a win. My old boss used to use the same flawed logic. He would do work for a loss or no profit just to stay busy. There's no point.
I say AMD will make little to nothing from the consoles, and it won't turn out to be much of a win.

How will they make more money from them down the road? Consoles always drop in price as time goes on.

Because Overclocking Means You Arent Afraid Of A Little Heat

Quote:Originally Posted by DuckieHo
Please provide your many times of proof before insinuating ass talk.
Finally...
(22 items)
CPU
Intel 4930K @4.4GHz
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
RAM
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3-2400
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
Hard Drive
6TB WD Gold
Optical Drive
ASUS Blu-ray combo, LiteOn dvdrw
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Cooling
MCR320
Cooling
MCR320
Cooling
MCP655
Cooling
EK Multi-Option 150 Res
Cooling
Heatkiller 3.0 Nickel plated
Case
Mountain Mods U2-UFO
Operating System
windows 10
Monitor
Sony XBR 43X800E 4K TV
Monitor
HP 32Q
Keyboard
Logitech G19 & Logitech G13
Mouse
Logitech G903
Mouse
Razer Destructor
Audio
Steelseries Arctis 7
CPU
Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard
MSI Z270-A PRO (MS-7A71)
GPU
Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
RAM
8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4-2400
Hard Drive
128GB Intel 600p m.2 PCI-e x4
Hard Drive
3TB Seagate 7200RPM
Hard Drive
2 TB Seagate Barracuda LP
Optical Drive
Lite-on Blu-ray
Power Supply
EVGA 850 BQ
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
CoolerMaster HAF XB EVO
Operating System
Windows 10 x64
Monitor
Vizio 55" LED
▲ hide details ▲

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 03:55 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 76 (Unique: 68)
AMD wouldn't do it if there wasn't something in it for them, either in the short term or long term.

post #35 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 60 (Unique: 52)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moustache View Post

The chart itself doesn't look legit.

that's because the baseline is 30%, not 0%, and instead of 100%, the upper boundary is 70%. Its common marketing strategy to game the graphs to make the lead look bigger than it really is.

post #36 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:13 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 42 (Unique: 33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojinglebells View Post

that's because the baseline is 30%, not 0%, and instead of 100%, the upper boundary is 70%. Its common marketing strategy to game the graphs to make the lead look bigger than it really is.

From someone who's studying statistics, those kind of graphs just make me cringe.
post #37 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Retired but not dead!

Rep: 311 (Unique: 231)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRLiToS View Post

This Graph only shows the past.

I think you should refer to a graph that shows the future. doh.gif

This would be bad news for the AMD crowd indeed.

At the end of that red line with 2/3 market share lies a $700 HD9970. biggrin.gif
post #38 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg75 View Post

This would be bad news for the AMD crowd indeed.

At the end of that red line with 2/3 market share lies a $700 HD9970. biggrin.gif

lol, or a HD Goliath at 1000$

??? ? ? ?⌨️??? ???

post #39 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:30 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 26 (Unique: 21)
Chart looks like it was done by a 5 year old..

On a side note I thought AMD was the manufacturer of both the CPU's and GPU's of these next gen consoles? If this is true then i doubt AMD should be even thinking about losing profits to NV.
post #40 of 68 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 04:33 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiky View Post

Chart looks like it was done by a 5 year old..

On a side note I thought AMD was the manufacturer of both the CPU's and GPU's of these next gen consoles? If this is true then i doubt AMD should be even thinking about losing profits to NV.

Can you make a chart?

??? ? ? ?⌨️??? ???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in