Has anyone else gotten 'too old for games'? - Page 10 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Has anyone else gotten 'too old for games'?

post #91 of 103 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 06:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 627 (Unique: 411)
I'm 50, man and gaming tech, gaming hardware and games themselves, from the most basic of plaformers all the way to triple AAA cinematic RPG's are still my favorite thing to do with my free time; it's actually why I stay completely unshackled by marriage and "chirren" (my time, my money.) ... all so I can game happily on the weekends. It's also why I stay employed. LOL ... I was this way at 15 and I'll be this way at 80 (only 30 more years! [email protected]).

Have fun.

Joel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 04:50 AM
New001

Quote: Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
I started exercising and lifting weights instead. It took a few months but I got addicted to the "high" I feel after these activities. 92 pounds loss over a year, in the best shape of my life, and prefer to go out and meet random new people instead of sitting at home playing games. I can't even stand being indoors anymore. Getting in shape will do wonders both physically AND mentally.

It's an improvement. You are growing up. Embrace it, find new hobbies and meet new people.
Sounds good, but you may still come back. I've been through the outdoorsy phase, the socializing phase, etc, and come back to games. I reckon there's just a limit (different for everyone) to how long you can do something before you want a decent change.
post #93 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 07:07 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 11 (Unique: 11)
Quote: Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
I started exercising and lifting weights instead. It took a few months but I got addicted to the "high" I feel after these activities. 92 pounds loss over a year, in the best shape of my life, and prefer to go out and meet random new people instead of sitting at home playing games. I can't even stand being indoors anymore. Getting in shape will do wonders both physically AND mentally.

It's an improvement. You are growing up. Embrace it, find new hobbies and meet new people.
I have done the same, and am currently 24 y/o, and in great physical shape, but have not magically gone from being introverted to enjoying 'going out' or anything like that. I still get incredibly bored going out, meeting new people, and engaging in small talk. However, at the same time I am not able to play games and enjoy it for as long as I used to, either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 PM
Hardware veteran

Rep: 0
Such feeling catches me everytime I trying to play something on PC.. just, after playing 1-2h, I totally lose any interest or fun to the process. This starts to happen with me at 26yo, so now I'm completely switched to mobile gaming, which I can enjoy on the work, or on the way from home to work. As the years pass by, you can start to realize that there are a tons of things in life, which deserve your time, remember that and keep in mind life is shorter than it seems, at least when you was younger.

Cheers
post #95 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 09:47 PM

Rep: 128 (Unique: 81)
Now it seems that everyone just ran out of ideas, take Mario Odyssey for instance, it looks cool but the gameplay is almost completely rips off Spyro from PS1 and Sonic Adventure. I'm not even talking about Ubisoft or EA, it's just vapid money making games devoid of any soul. I can say the same about Witcher, everyone raved about W3 but for me it's just a pubescent fantasy romp with a naked woman in every cutscene, that said W1 which had truly immersed me in it's world and lore. So after 20 years of gaming I'd say my tastes become very picky, I guess the same happened with OP, we literally "saw it all" and nothing really impresses us. Same can be said about music and movies, "times used to be better when music was music and not computer toilet noise with people who can't sing" or "all movies now are bad remakes and sequels or some pretentious hipster crap". It's easy to virtually don an Edwardian suit with a top hat and pretend you have some fine taste compared to the mindless public, but it doesn't help when 99% of games out there just suck.

Main
(17 items)
Nintendo DS
(8 items)
CPU
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3000
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 3TB
Power Supply
EVGA 650 G2
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15S
Cooling
Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm
Cooling
Nanoxia Deep Silence 120mm
Case
Corsair 400Q
Operating System
Windows 10 Enterprise
Monitor
ViewSonic XG2703-GS 1440p
Keyboard
Leopold FC750 (MX Brown)
Mouse
Logitech Performance Mouse MX
Audio
Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Rev. B Combo
Audio
Audio-Technica ATH-A990Z
CPU
ARM946E-S 67.028 MHz
CPU
ARM7TDMI 33.514 MHz
RAM
4 MB
Hard Drive
256 kB
Power Supply
850 mAh
Operating System
DS OS
Monitor
3" 256×192 18-bit
Monitor
3" 256×192 18-bit
▲ hide details ▲
post #96 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 67)
I thought I would drop in to OC.net for my yearly visit. Going back to the 'time flies' thing: It's been one and a half years since I posted this. WTH!?

Since the original post I've gone through a phase of hardcore Dark Souls 3 (and then off after a few months), trying the Witcher 3 which I thought I'd love (lasted 1 hour), Battlefield V (lasted about 1 month), and various tinkering on my PC. Strangely, I found that old RTS style games suck me in like crazy - just as they used to. I re-found Majesty 1&2 on my PC and can spend hours on that stupid game. I'm thinking maybe I need to see if some of the old RTS games I used to love have been updated, and if not just buy the old versions. I'm talking games like Age of Empires 2, Civ, Rise of Nations, Stronghold, Homeworld etc.

Real life has still been the main draw and the mountains never get old. The wandering and discovery it entails replaces that feeling I used to have in games.

The other thing I'm interested in is re-building my PC for the first time in 8 years. I was super proud of my water-cooling rig I setup in 2012ish, and I've recently gotten very excited about doing a brand new build in a new case with hard tubing. I'm really looking forward to that - the process of designing, building, tinkering, failing, drawing board, rebuilding is such a draw for me. I've already been using new PC parts in my old loop and it runs great; I just want a new project. The 8700k and 2080ti are fantastic and I shouldn't have to upgrade hardware for quite a long time.

Anyhow, I guess the point is that I still feel the same way as in the original post; it's just that I'm more comfortable with the way things are. Hope everyone is well.

Quote:Originally Posted by Thingamajig https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

So in order to remove an arrow, you've got to have a sex change?
Bethesda logic.
Liquid Blue Pt. 2
(6 items)
CPU
Intel 8700k @ 5.0ghz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Code
GPU
1080ti
RAM
Geil
Hard Drive
Samsung 970Evo
Monitor
LG 34" 3440x1440
▲ hide details ▲
post #97 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 202 (Unique: 181)
Since my last post, been the same except work has become more important as I moved up in the ranking. Just want to go home, grab a beer and game after work, or even just listen to music and work out. Going out, that time has come and gone from my early 20's (mind you that I'm 27), because going out means spending money... and it usually ends up being a lot. I would much rather host a beer and BBQ session at home with my friends, and maybe upgrade it to a LAN party. But going out, bars, drinking watered down cheap liquor, no thanks. A brewery trip here and there, but nothing crazy. Mix in a couple of outdoor activities like hiking, shooting sports, fishing, grill at the bay/beach, or any other friend/family hosted event, life is good just like that for me.

Find what's comfortable for you, and what brings out the extra goodness in you while you still feel comfortable. Gaming is comfortable, but doing other activities that doesn't involve big crowds of strangers is fun for me as well. Should I ever go out, once in a blue moon, it'll be for an event, and not out of the whim.

Feels like I went off tangent, but I guess what I'm trying to say is I just extended my reach further than just video games. Added more to my activity list with video games still being #1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtzman go_quote.gif
Computer viruses are like herpes. You never think in a million years you'd get one... Till you do.

Last edited by bucdan; 09-12-2019 at 07:57 AM.
post #98 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:01 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 7 (Unique: 5)
Quote: Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post
I thought I would drop in to OC.net for my yearly visit. Going back to the 'time flies' thing: It's been one and a half years since I posted this. WTH!?

Since the original post I've gone through a phase of hardcore Dark Souls 3 (and then off after a few months), trying the Witcher 3 which I thought I'd love (lasted 1 hour), Battlefield V (lasted about 1 month), and various tinkering on my PC. Strangely, I found that old RTS style games suck me in like crazy - just as they used to. I re-found Majesty 1&2 on my PC and can spend hours on that stupid game. I'm thinking maybe I need to see if some of the old RTS games I used to love have been updated, and if not just buy the old versions. I'm talking games like Age of Empires 2, Civ, Rise of Nations, Stronghold, Homeworld etc.

Real life has still been the main draw and the mountains never get old. The wandering and discovery it entails replaces that feeling I used to have in games.

The other thing I'm interested in is re-building my PC for the first time in 8 years. I was super proud of my water-cooling rig I setup in 2012ish, and I've recently gotten very excited about doing a brand new build in a new case with hard tubing. I'm really looking forward to that - the process of designing, building, tinkering, failing, drawing board, rebuilding is such a draw for me. I've already been using new PC parts in my old loop and it runs great; I just want a new project. The 8700k and 2080ti are fantastic and I shouldn't have to upgrade hardware for quite a long time.

Anyhow, I guess the point is that I still feel the same way as in the original post; it's just that I'm more comfortable with the way things are. Hope everyone is well.
I've felt this way for awhile, 36. Chivalry medieval warfare has been the last game to keep my attention. I feel like I'm waiting for a new genre to popup. Lately I've been tinkering with my PC instead of gaming. It's my new hobby. I'm using a 40 gallon tote to water cool, I have a extra bedroom and my girlfriend gave me the go ahead to clutter it up all I want . I've been taking off old pc parts, like my 2009 mobo heat sinks and putting them on my GPU with thermal pads. Using a hybrid watercool\remade blower fan design. Challenging myself for the fun of it to implement a fanless case design I thought up while initially pouring over all the old innovations on this forum. Comparing wattage of water heaters, engines n such. Learning about how gravity affects loops, basic, experimental and advanced cooling in almost all regards. Starting from the ground up, but not with hardly any normal parts. It's been a real treat. Alcohol was the only thing keeping my gaming interest at even a mild level. But I cut that out for the better.

Maybe it's something I'll come back too. I'd love to design a game, it's to bad small teams of game devs is kind of a thing of the past. And I would be starting from the ground up. Anyways life goes on. A Diablo 2 mechanic hack and slash MMORPG would be epic. Picture hundreds of barbs\sorcies etc attacking a giant beast. Even dota style maps with your diablo 2 characters, your own items etc as pvp matches. Equip sigon set at lvl xx on and on, with your endless stash against lanes with tons of varying ai combined with players. No gold you can just equip what you previously farmed at different levels. Or both. Seems like everyone is afraid to create anything innovative. Warcraft 3 custom maps rip

Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 Blower, Ryzen 2600 4.0 ghz, AIO Cool Mast Seidon 120mm, 3200 ddr3 cl16, B450m Asrock Pro 4 Mobo, 700 Watt PSU.
post #99 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Newb to Overclock.net

Rep: 167 (Unique: 124)
Quote: Originally Posted by evensen007 View Post
Spoiler!
I'm talking games like Age of Empires 2, Civ, Rise of Nations, Stronghold, Homeworld etc.
Spoiler!
You should know that AoE2: Definitive Edition (2nd official remaster) is releasing in November, this time with fully reworked graphics for 4K! And Homeworld 3 is being worked on, courtesy of Gearbox Software backing the original developers.

CPU: Q6600 X5470 2100T 1680V2 9900K
GPU: 8800GT 9800GTX+ 750Ti 1080Ti
RAM: 2x8GBTZ
Gentoo64 in Water
(14 items)
LGA775 X5470
(6 items)
CPU
9900K 5GHz 1.224v
Motherboard
EVGA Z370 Micro
GPU
MSI 1080TI GXEK 2100.5/12627
RAM
16GB Trident Z 4000C16
Hard Drive
970 EVO 500GB
Power Supply
Seasonic X850 Gold
Cooling
480mm Radiator Custom
Case
Silverstone FT03
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Operating System
Gentoo Linux 64 Multi-Lib
Monitor
Acer Predator XB271UH 165Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G710+
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
Sound Blaster Z
CPU
X5470 4GHz (stock v)
Motherboard
GA-EP45-UD3P
GPU
EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512MB
RAM
8GB 4x2GB GSkill 1066MHz DDR2
Cooling
XSPC Rasa, D5 + Res, 240mm Rad
Case
Lian-Li PC7-HX
▲ hide details ▲
post #100 of 103 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:15 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 544 (Unique: 309)
IDK about too old, but I've definitely gone through phases of too busy / too much important stuff to do instead.

IE: sit up all night playing new title, OR sit up all night studying AZURE?

hmmm.

R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in