Has anyone else gotten 'too old for games'? - Page 11 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Has anyone else gotten 'too old for games'?

post #101 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:22 PM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 35 (Unique: 34)
I don't think I'll ever be too old for video games. Less time to dedicate to them, definitely. But I get too much joy from them currently. Helps I have a spouse who is a big Nintendo head. lol. Just gotta do what makes you happy and what you enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razroid go_quote.gif

Yeah, let me just go flood my walls with water and go find myself a microdolphin to pull my cables for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK go_quote.gif

Good news, 6950 is legacy so you wont get drivers anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 104 (Unique: 57)
While I work from a home office as a freelancer/consultant, I'm old enough that I could apply for social security if I really, really wanted to. I'm not there yet though, and Doom still draws me in.

It probably will continue to do so until someone pries that hot, hard mouse from my cold, dead hands.

Playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest...

post #103 of 115 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 89 (Unique: 67)
Quote: Originally Posted by bucdan View Post
Since my last post, been the same except work has become more important as I moved up in the ranking. Just want to go home, grab a beer and game after work, or even just listen to music and work out. Going out, that time has come and gone from my early 20's (mind you that I'm 27), because going out means spending money... and it usually ends up being a lot. I would much rather host a beer and BBQ session at home with my friends, and maybe upgrade it to a LAN party. But going out, bars, drinking watered down cheap liquor, no thanks. A brewery trip here and there, but nothing crazy. Mix in a couple of outdoor activities like hiking, shooting sports, fishing, grill at the bay/beach, or any other friend/family hosted event, life is good just like that for me.

Find what's comfortable for you, and what brings out the extra goodness in you while you still feel comfortable. Gaming is comfortable, but doing other activities that doesn't involve big crowds of strangers is fun for me as well. Should I ever go out, once in a blue moon, it'll be for an event, and not out of the whim.

Feels like I went off tangent, but I guess what I'm trying to say is I just extended my reach further than just video games. Added more to my activity list with video games still being #1!
I'm with you on the going out. Much rather have the friends over. Even when we do go out, it's usually much more low key hitting up the breweries. They're endless in Asheville! Awesome Bengal; I've got one too! I guess I'm enjoying the pacing and relaxation of these RTS' again.

Quote: Originally Posted by treetops422 View Post
I've felt this way for awhile, 36. Chivalry medieval warfare has been the last game to keep my attention. I feel like I'm waiting for a new genre to popup. Lately I've been tinkering with my PC instead of gaming. It's my new hobby. I'm using a 40 gallon tote to water cool, I have a extra bedroom and my girlfriend gave me the go ahead to clutter it up all I want . I've been taking off old pc parts, like my 2009 mobo heat sinks and putting them on my GPU with thermal pads. Using a hybrid watercool\remade blower fan design. Challenging myself for the fun of it to implement a fanless case design I thought up while initially pouring over all the old innovations on this forum. Comparing wattage of water heaters, engines n such. Learning about how gravity affects loops, basic, experimental and advanced cooling in almost all regards. Starting from the ground up, but not with hardly any normal parts. It's been a real treat. Alcohol was the only thing keeping my gaming interest at even a mild level. But I cut that out for the better.

Maybe it's something I'll come back too. I'd love to design a game, it's to bad small teams of game devs is kind of a thing of the past. And I would be starting from the ground up. Anyways life goes on. A Diablo 2 mechanic hack and slash MMORPG would be epic. Picture hundreds of barbs\sorcies etc attacking a giant beast. Even dota style maps with your diablo 2 characters, your own items etc as pvp matches. Equip sigon set at lvl xx on and on, with your endless stash against lanes with tons of varying ai combined with players. No gold you can just equip what you previously farmed at different levels. Or both. Seems like everyone is afraid to create anything innovative. Warcraft 3 custom maps rip

Dang! You're going way deeper into tinkering territory than me. I appreciate what you're doing though; the discovery of trial and error is a lot of fun.

Quote: Originally Posted by mouacyk View Post
You should know that AoE2: Definitive Edition (2nd official remaster) is releasing in November, this time with fully reworked graphics for 4K! And Homeworld 3 is being worked on, courtesy of Gearbox Software backing the original developers.

That.... Makes me very excite. AOE2 and Homeworld have to be 2 of my favorite games of all time! AWESOME! Now if someone could update Rise of Nations and Rise of Legends, that would be amazing!

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
IDK about too old, but I've definitely gone through phases of too busy / too much important stuff to do instead.

IE: sit up all night playing new title, OR sit up all night studying AZURE?

hmmm.
I've been there studying for MS certs. VMware certs etc. If I decide to change my current role, I would definitely be looking into Azure, AWS, nutanix or the like. Luckily I'm pretty stable right now and probably won't think about that for a while.

Quote:Originally Posted by Thingamajig https://www.overclock.net/img/forum/go_quote.gif

So in order to remove an arrow, you've got to have a sex change?
Bethesda logic.
Liquid Blue Pt. 2
(6 items)
CPU
Intel 8700k @ 5.0ghz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus Code
GPU
1080ti
RAM
Geil
Hard Drive
Samsung 970Evo
Monitor
LG 34" 3440x1440
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:38 AM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 898 (Unique: 504)
If games are properly made, regarded by the developers and publishers as an art form, with good gameplay and something interesting to share in terms of story, there is no reason to "grow out" of games, as if it were a phase in life.

The problem nowadays is that the mainstream gaming industry is in its last phase. Greed all around. Games are not built to be rewardingly fun, they are made to maximize profits at the expense of everything else, just 0,1% shy of a totally scorched earth approach. There is no respect for consumers at all. Games are rushed out, they make people beta testers and then they load games up with microtransactions (sometimes after launch so as to not affect review scores), loot boxes and season passes that fundamentally alter the design phase of games to make them grindier and with storylines butchered to sell the rest to you later, and even in terms of games that are not free, there's also this crap, in addition to several tiers of purchase prices that bump up the price to $100+, etc, etc.

The latest aberration is this (NSFW language), but I could post here about 50 other games where this happens:

TL;DR: Play the classics, and otherwise look very carefully at who is developing (edit: and publishing) the game, where it is sold, whether it has draconian DRM and whether the game is actually meant to be played and not to play you. There is still plenty of great stuff being made, just not by the big developers, they are 'playing' a different game by now.

Last edited by tpi2007; 10-02-2019 at 04:07 PM.
post #105 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 11:02 AM
9 Cans of Ravioli

Rep: 1160 (Unique: 662)
Quote: Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post
TL;DR: Play the classics, and otherwise look very carefully at who is developing the game, where it is sold, whether it has draconian DRM and whether the game is actually meant to be played and not to play you. There is still plenty of great stuff being made, just not by the big developers, they are 'playing' a different game by now.

If the game is good enough you can overlook all those things

BL3 has super terrible DRM and it's optimized poorly and it crashes to the desktop regularly and it's on a terrible platform (EPIC) and DX12 is broken and doesn't work at all but it's probably the game I dumped the most time into this quickly in a long time.

Intel i9 9900K Coffee Lake @ X8 5309mhz (+47.5%)
AMD FX-8320 Vishera @ X4 5022mhz (+43.5%)
Intel i5 4690K Haswell @ X4 5013mhz (+43.2%)
AMD X4 960T Zosma @ X6 4870mhz (+62.3%)
Intel i7 6700 Skylake @ X4 4709mhz (+38.5%)
Intel i5 6400 Skylake @ X4 4588mhz (+69.9%)
2 OP pls nerf
(24 items)
NUC U
(10 items)
CPU
i9 9900K
Motherboard
AsRock Z390 Taichi
GPU
MSI GTX 1080 Ti
RAM
G.Skill DDR4 4133 32GB
Hard Drive
Mushkin Pilot NVMe 1TB
Hard Drive
HP EX950 NVMe 2TB
Hard Drive
Samsung 860 Evo 1TB
Hard Drive
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Toshiba X300 5TB
Hard Drive
Western Digital EZRZ 3TB
Power Supply
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750w
Cooling
Corsair H115i Pro
Case
Fractal Design Meshify S2
Operating System
Windows 10 Education x64
Monitor
Acer XF270HU 27" 1440p
Monitor
LG 24UD58 24" 4K
Keyboard
CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro S
Mouse
Logitech G502
Audio
SMSL SA50 + FiiO E10K
Audio
Micca RB42
Audio
Polk Audio PSW111
Audio
Philips Fidelio X2
Audio
Philips SHP9500S
Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50X
CPU
i3 8109U
Motherboard
Intel NUC8i3BEH
GPU
Iris Plus 655
RAM
Kingston 8GB DDR4 2400
Hard Drive
Dierka K1 120GB
Hard Drive
ADATA SU800 128GB M.2
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional
Operating System
MX Linux
Keyboard
Dierya DK63-BT 60% (Outemu Blue)
Mouse
Logitech M510
CPU
i7 860
Motherboard
Advantech AIMB 280 ITX
GPU
EVGA GTX 950 2GB
RAM
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333
Hard Drive
Seagate Momentus 2.5" 500GB
Hard Drive
Western Digital Blue 2.5" 320GB
Power Supply
Silverstone SFX-L Gold 500w
Cooling
Arctic Alpine 11 GT 2
Case
Silverstone Milo Z ML07B
Operating System
Windows XP x86 SP3
Keyboard
Velocifire TKL01 Outemu Browns
Mouse
Logitech M512
▲ hide details ▲

post #106 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 03:47 AM
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
Yes. I always have to play alone because my friends aren't into my favorite game types. Now I have to spend most of time to work and just have some rare moment to relax with some mobile games (lab escape, talking tom gold run, tap tap dash game)
post #107 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:14 AM
OG AMD

Rep: 588 (Unique: 461)
Quote: Originally Posted by christoph View Post
is not only that we getting older and slowly leaving the video games, it all has to do with the companies that NOW is all about money, they put no effort and making a video game with a good story and good enough visuals, you know a game with good graphics but not that you can't play it with your current PC, now is all about micro transactions;

I been playing video games my whole life, and I remember playing Resident evil 4 in the play, and jumping to Stalker COP (I played many games between them of course) and saying "oh man this games are great" and right after I finished Stalker I jumped to Fallout 3 ( I did not play them when they where release) and man, Fallout 3 was the best game ever for me (yeah, yeah you can say whatever you want, that the game is broken blah blah blah) and now where is Resident evil? Stalker? I wish they made another stalker, Metro was a real good game and actually looking forward to Metro exodus

This. The games these days frankly suck. They put all effort into making a game eye catching but the actual mechanics are the same.

https://valid.x86.fr/cache/banner/4d8m5e-6.png
AMD Athlon II 450 @4.74GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2204588
AMD MaxxMemm Rankings
960T @ 4.6GHz http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2171450
RedwoodCustomPC
AM4
(4 items)
RCPC#1
(17 items)
Professional
(13 items)
CPU
Ryzen 2200G
Motherboard
ASRock X470 Taichi
GPU
MSI RX570 Armor MKII 8GB
Power Supply
GSKill Ripjaws PS850G
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 960T
Motherboard
Asus M4A88T-VEVO
GPU
Asus Strix R7 370
RAM
SuperTalent Perfomance
RAM
GSkill Snipers
Hard Drive
Monster Daytona
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache
Optical Drive
Memorex DVD/RW
Power Supply
Corsair GS500
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
In Win H-Frame
Operating System
Windows 8N
Monitor
IBM 9494 19" LCD
Keyboard
IBM
Mouse
OCZ Behemoth
Mouse
Wolfking
Audio
JBL Creature
CPU
Phenom II X6 1100t
Motherboard
MSI 890FX GD65
GPU
MSI Radeon HD5670
RAM
GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8
Hard Drive
WD Black 1TB SATA III
Optical Drive
Samsung BD
Power Supply
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w
Cooling
Zalman 9900MAX
Case
Fractal Design R3
Operating System
Windows 7 64 Professional
Monitor
AOC 22" LED
Keyboard
Logitech
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB
▲ hide details ▲

post #108 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:35 PM
Waiting for 7nm EUV

Rep: 898 (Unique: 504)

"spending their hard-earned Atoms" - that right there summarizes the current triple-A gaming scene, games that feel like work and then the company sells you more stuff (Atoms in this case) besides the price you already paid for the game to make it feel less like work.

This is the antithesis of gaming. When will the mass market realize that they're not playing a game, they're being played.

post #109 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:00 PM
Head Dwarf

Rep: 104 (Unique: 57)
A bit OT, but generally speaking, it could always be worse...

Cards Against Humanity

Playin' the lead roll in a dwerg tossing contest...

post #110 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 PM
Not a linux lobbyist

Rep: 48 (Unique: 36)
Somehow I'm not getting too old for games. TV- too old. Movies - for the most part. I don't even follow what is coming out that much. For the most part just try to watch something my daughter will enjoy. Games are still fun. Maybe I have low standards, but they seem to be doing better than tv or movies. I mostly play rpgs/action but the story and character development has to be better than movies or tv. I don't expect them to beat classic scifi or anything and they can't replace exercising outdoors but I can still sit down and enjoy them. I play them on my schedule though.
Currently enjoying Tales of Berseria, was going through the updating dlcs in AC Odyssey (played the dude, reminded me of Kevin Sorbo from Hercules) before that, SOTTR before that, some Serious Sam3 vr and Hellblade before that, liked the whole Dishonored series (the more parts I played the better it got), Mass E.A was fun after you changed how some looked, Wolfenstein N.O. was fun enough that I will play New Colossus when I get time, even though it seems not quite as good, l ofc had a great experience with W3, ok with W2,W, Prey was decent, Endereal off of Skyrim was refreshing, there are lots more. These are all pretty decent at least imo and more worthy of my free time than most passive recreation.
I probably just have more free time than a lot.

L5
(17 items)
Lea2
(11 items)
L7
(11 items)
CPU
5775c
Motherboard
Maximus VII Hero
GPU
Aorus 1080ti Waterforce
RAM
16 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
RAM
8 Gb Gskill Trident @ 2400,cas10,1.575v
Hard Drive
1Tb Team ssd
Hard Drive
seagate barracuda 3T
Hard Drive
Optane 900p 480G OS
Optical Drive
Asus BW-16D1HT
Power Supply
EVGA Supernova 1300 G2
Cooling
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Pro 120 (cpu)
Cooling
2 140mm case fans, 2 120mm
Case
Fractal Design R4 (no window)
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
panasonic TC-58AX800U
Audio
Focal Elear, Nova 40, 598se, HE4xx, DT990pro w b.boost earpads
Audio
SoundbasterX AE-5, onboard
CPU
Motherboard
Asus Z87 Deluxe
GPU
Fury Nitro
RAM
8Gb klevv urbane 2133
Hard Drive
ROG Raidr 240Gb pcie
Hard Drive
1Tb WD blue
Power Supply
Pc Power&Cooling silencer Mk2 950w
Cooling
Deepcool Lucifer V2
Case
DIYPC P48-W
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
40"tv
CPU
4980hq
Motherboard
Asus H81T/CSM
RAM
8Gb 1600 samsung
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 evo 120gb
Power Supply
Skyvast 90w brick for hp pavilion something
Cooling
SilverStone Tek Super Slim
Case
SilverStone Tek PT13B
Operating System
W10 64 pro
Monitor
24" samsung 1080p
Keyboard
Logitech K400+
Other
Intel wifi ac card and noname antennas
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in