I don't lose my self in games anymore - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community
Forum Jump: 

I don't lose my self in games anymore

post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Rep: 0
I don't lose my self in games anymore

Hey everyone, this is my very first post here, i'm completely new here, so yeah not sure of how I should write this post, but i'll just go through. Disclaimer : This is a deep and long post, if you're passionated by games, and recognize yourself through this post, you're the one I need answers from !

I / Gaming part

So yeah, basically like most of gamers, i've been into games since I was like 5 years old, and I really enjoyed them very very much. From my 5 years old to my 12 yo, I used to play games with story lines, on ps2, psp, gamecube, games like sonic, san andreas, splinter cell, etc etc... And from the bottom of my heart, I enjoyed them pretty much ! Like I was innocent, I didn't care about competition, or who will finish the game the fastest, no, I would just lose my self in to them, for hours and hours straight, door closed, in the night, nothing else but a lighty screen and me enjoying my life like I never did.

But then, I've reached my 12 yo, and now I want a computer, because I want to play games like counter strike source, and have more games to play, with better looking. My father buys me a computer, and boom, I fall in love with games even more than before, I play games mostly that involve skill, practice, patience, etc... Basically I started to love competition games (indie game or known games, fps or not fps, as long as i enjoy the mechanics, and there's online competition in which you can be rewarded for being the best I loved it.) From this day, I never ever enjoyed playing games with straight story lines like splinter cell, hitman, campaign in general. But it was not so bad since I was losing my self much more, but the difference was that I was playing online games. At this time of my life i was very insecure, I thought, I mean i knew I was ugly, but it was very okay, because I didn't care about social part of life, because.. I had GAMES, yeah GAMES were the very ONLY thing I cared about, going from school straight to my room and boom losing my self in games and animes. This was like this from my 12 yo to my 17 years old.

II / Social Life

This part is very important, i'm 17 years old a this time, and I meet friends, that give me confidence about my physical looking, they helped me very much to be honest, and slowly but surely I started to have confidence, and then started to talk to girls very easily, then I met one girl and dated her, now she's my girlfriend. I'm pointing this out because it's really important (Atleast that's what I believe)

So I'm having my girlfriend at end of my 17 years old (close to 18) and the days I was dating her (days i started to have confidence) I started to play games much less that I used to (I used to go back from school at 6 pm and play till like 2 am non stop) but when I met her, I wasn't even launching my computer, I'd just go through the internet, on youtube, watching videos and texting her. Basically my life wasn't only about games and school anymore, because I met her at the last year of school. I spent 7 months with her then school ended. We kept being together that's a very nice relationship I love it as much as i love games, but I hate myself for not playing games anymore, because I only see her the day, but you know, this part of the day when you're home and you have a lot of free time, you kinda wanna do something on this free time, and I want to play games as hell, but somehow, I can't lose my self into them, same thing for animes ! that's terrible, I used to watch 650 episodes of one piece in like 2 months and an half, now I barely watch 1 episode and boom suddenly I don't find interest into it (I still love animes, I really do, but there's something, I can't explain what it is, that makes me go away from losing my self into the serie, anime because i was very hyped for example in the shower, I even have goosebumps thinking of how good the anime will be but yeah can't explain why when I start it, boom something makes me go away) same goes for games, I don't wanna start an mmo (even tho I have the free time that allows me to spend a lot of time into it) but something makes me go away, and I want to lose my self into games back again.

Now it's been 2 years and half, that I just fill my free time with youtube videos, instagram, and texting with my girlfriend, I sold my computer since I couldn't play it anymore, but today I regret it so much, I want to buy one again, but i'm not even sure this would change anything.

III / Questioning

So today, i'm in quarantine, just like most of us, and I have more than enough free time, to think about this, and I send this message here, because I'm overthinking, and I don't find the reasons, solutions to this issue : Why can't I lose my self in games/animes/series anymore.

I'm going to talk now, about the potential reasons I have found, and hopefully some of you will confirm (if you're/was in the same case as mine) hopefully.

1 / : First reason, is, maybe the fact my girlfriend went into my life and have a very huge place here (even though we don't live together at all) we talk a lot, I always answer in 1 sec, i hate not answering her messages, that's like something we talked about, we should answer in the fastest delay possible. So maybe is she the reason i don't lose my self into games, because I just don't wanna waste such a beautiful relationship by being egoistic and just lose my self in games and forget about her while I'm into games ?

2 / : Second reason, looks like the first one, isn't it because I know that one day i'll have to leave games because i'll have a family, kids, a full-time job, I mean you know, a father's life that gives you not that much time to play games (i had these thoughts when I was still at school but i was like, i'm far from this blabla) but yeah, isn't because I see this coming more than before, because in term of age i'm closer to have kids and a very filled life with less playtime, than before when I was at school. Plus I have a long relationship with my gf so this pushes me to think this way even more.

3 / : Maybe it could be because i'm more confident, let me explain, maybe because when I hated my physical appearance, and I had no one to care about, no girlfriend, no friends, no one, i only had me my self and games, and now I have a girlfriend, that I text basically every 10 mins of the day (and that's totally okay i love that, but that's how the situation is) and because i'm more confident I care about her, and what everyone would think about me (physically, mentally etc) however before I didn't care about anything so it was giving muuuuuuch more time to focus on games instead of these thoughts.

4 / : Is it all the reasons said above ?

I need you, who read until here, to understand these thoughts, because I have a huge love for games, because they literally were my friends when I had only my self (and honestly I never had anything in my life that is as good as games exception for my gf, but that's a different concept. And today i feel extremely bad because I can't fill my freetime with animes and games like the good old days, and i'm trying everything to work on this question, sincerely every single day is full of questioning, am I in the right room to play games, are my parents thinking like when is he going to find a real job, do real studies, what will they think if I come back to games ? If I can't watch long session of animes and series is it because I don't have comfortable chair or place sit on, milions of questions, millions of reasons, but which one is the right one, what can I do, to fill my free time with animes, series and games like I used to ? I'm really overthinking, and there's no one to this day in my social circle, that could help me through this, that's why I post this in a gamer community forum, in the hope to find some that evolved more than me on this aspect, someone more mature, or maybe someone smarter, that could know why, why I can't just find a game that has no end, launch it, play it forget about life and all the things around, why can't i simply start this anime I wanna watch as hell and finish it straight away, why am I stopping every games, animes after a few minutes, to just do nothing... That might be the weirdest post ever, but that's a true issue, and hopefully i'll find answers. Thank's a lot for reading !

Last edited by AngelSoul10; 03-31-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:27 PM
Food Editor

Rep: 720 (Unique: 378)
enjoyment of gaming comes and goes throughout life, specially once your hormones kick in.

the games will always be there. being 17 will not.

Add me on Steam, same name
R.I.P. Zawarudo, may you OC angels' wings in heaven.
If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by skupples View Post
enjoyment of gaming comes and goes throughout life, specially once your hormones kick in.

the games will always be there. being 17 will not.
Mh... Do I have to understand I just stopped enjoying them, and i'll love them again,
Or that I'm too old to enjoy them, even though they're still here to be loved by someone younger ?

Last edited by AngelSoul10; 03-31-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 05:00 PM
Food Editor

unknown for your specific situation.

at some point in the future, gaming may, or may not recapture your attention.

Best R0ach Quote of all time : TLDR: Haswell might be the last legit gaming platform unless mice get their own non-USB interface on some newer architecture.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 05:01 PM
professional curmudgeon

Rep: 827 (Unique: 464)
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelSoul10 View Post
Mh... Do I have to understand I just stopped enjoying them, and i'll love them again,
Or that I'm too old to enjoy them, even though they're still here to be loved by someone younger ?
stop complicating it. its exactly what skup said, your love/immersion/whatever in gaming comes and goes.
it's like women kid. (or boys if your into that)

the first one seems like the best you'll ever have and the world is your oyster, but then they leave and the world has ended and all thats left is misery. (oh my goth!)

but one day in the life of utter pain and anguish comes a shining ray of hope that life will again have light. then reflect upon how silly it was to get all twisted up over . . nothing.

you'll be fine, it just takes time. all of us has taken (extensive) breaks/bored of from gaming, to find one later that draw interest again.

Remember the golden rule of statistics: A personal sample size of one is a sufficient basis upon which to draw universal conclusions.
Upload the computer to Dropbox and provide a link to it so others may download it to examine and give advice for repairs.
loon 3.2
(18 items)
CPU
i7-3770K
Motherboard
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
GPU
EVGA 980TI SC+
RAM
16Gb PNY ddr3 1866
Hard Drive
PNY 1311 240Gb
Hard Drive
1 TB Seagate
Hard Drive
3 TB WD Blue
Optical Drive
DVD DVDRW+/-
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
Cooling
EKWB P280 kit
Cooling
EK-VGA supremacy
Case
Stryker M [hammered and drilled]
Operating System
Win X
Monitor
LG 24MC57HQ-P
Keyboard
Ducky Zero [blues]
Mouse
corsair M65
Audio
SB Recon3D
Audio
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 05:19 PM
I Love this Hobby!

Rep: 612 (Unique: 504)
Games are too easy/dumbed down like everything else in society. I'm playing The Outer Worlds, get quests, go places and they solve themselves, hardly need to look at a quest journal or really know what's going on. Try doing that in the old days, heck there was no such thing as journals or maps for that matter.

Don't get me wrong those things are a welcomed addition, but man you can play the game in your sleep.

-Guide to 1st Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...ing-guide
-Guide to 2nd Case Modding for Better GPU(s) Performance/Cooling-
https://www.overclock.net/case-mod-wo...e-fan-mod
Fast n' Cheap
(17 items)
Bit'O'Heaven
(16 items)
CPU
RYZEN 7 3700X
Motherboard
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS
GPU
MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600 16-19-19-39 CL 16 1.35V
Hard Drive
Corsair Force Series Gen.4 PCIe MP600 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD
Hard Drive
Seagate BarraCuda ST3000DM008 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
Optical Drive
LG 16X SATA Blu-Ray Internal Rewriter with 3D Playback and M-DISC Support BH16NS40
Power Supply
Fractal Design Ion+ 860P 80 PLUS Platinum Certified 860W Full Modular
Cooling
Noctua NH-D15
Case
Veddha GriderCase alpha V1
Operating System
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Nixeus EDG 27" IPS Freesync 1440p 144Hz
Keyboard
Redragon K589 SHRAPNEL RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Mouse
Logitech G502 Hero
Mousepad
ALLSOP Redmond Mouse Pad
Audio
Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
Other
PulseLabz Challenger Gaming Chair
CPU
Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard
Asus Maximus VI Rog Gene
GPU
Gigabyte AMD R9 290 @ Core 1160MHz & Memory 1350MHz
RAM
G.SKILL Trident X DDR3 16GB 2400MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3TB
Optical Drive
Pioneer Black Blu-ray 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE
Power Supply
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 1300W 80PLUS Gold Fully Modular
Cooling
Corsair H60 Push/Pull
Case
PC-JMK5-Cool 5 Open Frame Case
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Samsung 245BW 24" 1200p 60Hz
Keyboard
Logitech G15
Mouse
Logitech MX518
Mousepad
Corsair Vengeance MM200
Audio
Yamaha HTR-5830 Polk Audio 3.0
CPU
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard
ASRock Z77E-ITX mITX
GPU
Sapphire AMD HD 7990 @ Clock 900MHz & Memory 1100MHz
RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 8GB 1600MHz @ 1866MHz
Hard Drive
Crucial SSD CT128M4SSD3 128GB mSATA SATA III 6GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda HDD 1TB
Optical Drive
LG DVD R/W
Power Supply
Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 Fully Modular
Cooling
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100
Case
BitFenix Prodigy Mini-ATX Black Case
Operating System
Win 7 Pro 64bit
Monitor
Samsung TV 52"
Keyboard
Logitech K330 Wireless
Mouse
Logitech M215 Wireless
Mousepad
Corsair Vengeance MM200
Audio
Yamaha RX-V681 PSB/PolkAudio 5.1
▲ hide details ▲

post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 05:22 PM
User of the PC

Rep: 65 (Unique: 61)
Quote: Originally Posted by Gunderman456 View Post
Games are too easy/dumbed down like everything else in society. I'm playing The Outer Worlds, get quests, go places and they solve themselves, hardly need to look at a quest journal or really know what's going on. Try doing that in the old days, heck there was no such thing as journals or maps for that matter.

Don't get me wrong those things are a welcomed addition, but man you can play the game in your sleep.
I agree with you entirely. I know for a fact that is why I've lost interest in games today. Games today are almost always about multiplayer and cut back on any good immersive single player gameplay now. The gaming scene in totally changed in the last few years or so...

Xeon X79
(9 items)
Xeon X58
(10 items)
amders new amd
(11 items)
CPU
E5 2609
Motherboard
MSI X79A-GD45
GPU
EVGA 980ti Hybrid
RAM
4x4GB Kingston Hyper X Genesis 1600MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 840 120GB
Power Supply
Cooler Master MWE 550 v2
Cooling
Hyper 212
Case
Cooler Master Elite 311
Operating System
Windows 10 64bit
CPU
X5650
Motherboard
Asus P6TD Deluxe X58
GPU
Gigabyte RX 570 Crossfire
RAM
3x4GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 850 240GB SSD
Hard Drive
Samsung EVO 840 120GB SSD
Power Supply
Cooler Master Extreme 2 725W
Cooling
Deepcool Gammax L360 V2
Case
Thermaltake V100
Operating System
Windows 10 64bit
CPU
Ryzen 3600
Motherboard
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
GPU
EVGA GTX 1070
RAM
2x8GB Kingston Hyper 2133MHz
Hard Drive
XPG 256GB M.2
Hard Drive
Kingston 480GB SSD
Hard Drive
Kingston 240GB SSD
Power Supply
Corsair HX650
Cooling
EVGA CLC 120
Case
Fractal Define S Window
Operating System
Windows 10 64bit
▲ hide details ▲

post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 05:23 PM
Food Editor

outer worlds really disappointed me, but I never did qualify as a fallout fanboy. It reminded me of RAGE#1... I'm hoping the 2nd one will have a larger scope, so it can actually qualify as a spiritual successor.

Pretty sure Witcher 3 is still the last AAA release to draw me in and hold me until finish. it's rare I finish anything... though I was always a MP person when I was young, so why I try to enjoy SP content idk.

Quote: Originally Posted by amder View Post
I agree with you entirely. I know for a fact that is why I've lost interest in games today. Games today are almost always about multiplayer and cut back on any good immersive single player gameplay now. The gaming scene in totally changed in the last few years or so...
the only thing that's changed in the gaming scene is Battle Royale going mainstream... which has been slowly growing in momentum for easily a decade now.

otherwise, the single player stuff that's coming out is really conservative copy/pasta content. the last good assassins creed was Black Flag. They build beautiful worlds, but their ability to provide a quality game play cycle is incredibly limited, so said worlds become a tedious chore to speed run thru as quickly as possible. I covered The Outer Worlds. The new DOOM is OK, aside from the shoehorned wall climbing stuff.

At least EA released a single player star wars for the first time in ages? even if its basically Star Wars Tomb Raider.

Last edited by skupples; 03-31-2020 at 05:27 PM.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Quote: Originally Posted by looniam View Post
stop complicating it. its exactly what skup said, your love/immersion/whatever in gaming comes and goes.
it's like women kid. (or boys if your into that)

the first one seems like the best you'll ever have and the world is your oyster, but then they leave and the world has ended and all thats left is misery. (oh my goth!)

but one day in the life of utter pain and anguish comes a shining ray of hope that life will again have light. then reflect upon how silly it was to get all twisted up over . . nothing.

you'll be fine, it just takes time. all of us has taken (extensive) breaks/bored of from gaming, to find one later that draw interest again.
That's an interesting perspective, thank's for clearing out what skupples said.
But honestly, "i'll be fine, it just takes time" I mean I would be fine if I had another passion to fill up that free time, but it's not the case, and that's why i'll not be fine, i'll just be mad, for not having something else before games become an interest to me again.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 05:28 PM
Food Editor

i uhhh.

so pursue something that interests you? start working out for an our or two a few times a week. Star going for walks. Start researching some complex thing that'll take years to learn but eventually pay off.

start learning how the stock market works. get rich.

pick one, check it out, drop it, move on...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in