Final Fantasy Club. - Page 21 - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Forum Jump: 

Final Fantasy Club.

post #201 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 09:38 PM
Are you sure about that?
TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about

Quote: Originally Posted by neurotix View Post
Hey, it's you again.

My list would probably be mostly the opposite of this, but unfortunately I am one of those types where every FF past IX, I have intensely disliked (well, to be fair, I played 15 hours of XII and it was the best of the bunch). FFV is actually one of the weaker of the the 16-bit games (and original 9 games), but is still pretty good and saved by the battle/job system. FFIX is absolutely fantastic. I would totally agree on FFVIII, although I have finished it numerous times. The only FF game that is worse is FFII (especially the original Famicom release, the remakes are a little better.)

I was simply going to nudge you to play FFIV as it is my favorite game of all time and my favorite Final Fantasy, though FFVI was the high point of the series and the best overall imo. I would suggest the original SNES/Super Famicom FF4 with a translation patch, but I have cleared every remake and the PSP version is solid (don't bother with Interlude or The After Years, the other two on the same compilation. They are widely reviled.) I first played FFIV in it's original North American release in 1992 and was an FF fan until the PS2 era, and have since moved on to games from other developers.

FFIV is quite similar to FFIX in atmosphere and characters (though mostly serious and nowhere near as humorous). The battle system is balanced similarly, though it is more difficult at points. The only real difference in the combat system is that characters gain magic simply by leveling up, are summons are found how they are in FF5 (e.g. defeat the summoned monster in battle to gain it's spell). Character classes are locked as in FF5 and cannot be customized. (The pro to this is that it really makes each party member feel more valuable and unique, especially when they leave or return to the team). Obviously, it does not have the "gem" system with learning abilities from equipment that FFIX does. Keep in mind it was the fourth game and released in 1991 in Japan.

FFIV is simplistic nowadays but has a lot of content, good sidequests, and an excellent story. It is also decently challenging which is something that is sorely lacking in most of the games that have come since. I think the atmosphere, story and characters, and world design are what really set it apart and make it my favorite.

(Not trying to start a flame war here if anyone is still interested in this thread and I have no intention of trashing newer FF games, but it's hard being a fan of a franchise for 27 years only to have it turn into something you just don't like. I don't think it can be denied by anyone that the games now are nothing like they were back then.)
Honestly you are kinda right on the ones newer than IX, but I like XII because it was a whole different approach and the gambit system allowed alot more fluidity in battle. XIII I really liked the story and the characters but was never a huge fan of the combat but I liked it. IX omg yes easily top five. Btw none of those were in any particular order in the list. VI I liked but idk just I liked V just a bit more don’t really have a reason why.

And yeah I know you aren’t trying to pick a fight, everyone has their own opinions and I respect that, more people in this world need to lol.

"In Yorkfield, crossing the Ivy Bridge to get over Coffee Lake, while Ryzen to the challenge with my Broadwell."
Mars (My Rig)
(14 items)
Pluto
(15 items)
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-5775C 4.4GHz (1.4v)
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-E/USB 3.1 (LGA 1150)
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked 2.1GHz boost (sometimes) 2.08GHz most of the time.
RAM
Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 2 x 8GB (16GB) 2000MHz 10-12-10-29
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM HDD 2TB
Power Supply
Corsair RM850 850W 80+ Gold Efficiency
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Corsair Carbide Clear 400C
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42” HDTV (Temporary)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy (RGB Illuminated)
Mouse
Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
CPU
Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX9650 4GHz
Motherboard
EVGA nForce 790i SLI Ultra (132-CK-NF79)
GPU
MSI R9 290X Gaming 4G Hybrid
RAM
Patriot Signature DDR3 2 x 4GB (8GB) 1333MHz CL9
Hard Drive
Kingston A400 2.5" SATA III SSD 120GB
Hard Drive
Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5-Inch 512GB SATA III SSD
Power Supply
Thermaltake White 80+
Cooling
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Case
A cardboard box, I'm serious its in a cardboard box, running at the moment.
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
Keyboard
Logitech G213 Prodigy RGB
Mouse
Logitec M510 Wireless Mouse
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard
GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming AM4
GPU
MSI R9 380 Core: 1110MHz, GDDR5: 1500MHz
RAM
G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz CL16 2 x 8GB (16GB)
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD
Hard Drive
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Optical Drive
ASUS CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
Cooling
Wraith Spire AM4 Cooler
Case
DEEPCOOL ATX Case Kendomen TI
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung 24" 1080p curved
Keyboard
Standard Dell wired keyboard from the early 2000's
Mouse
Logitech Standard Wired Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 11:15 AM
あほか щ(゜ロ゜щ)
neurotix is on a distinguished road neurotix is on a distinguished road neurotix is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by TwilightRavens View Post
Honestly you are kinda right on the ones newer than IX, but I like XII because it was a whole different approach and the gambit system allowed alot more fluidity in battle. XIII I really liked the story and the characters but was never a huge fan of the combat but I liked it. IX omg yes easily top five. Btw none of those were in any particular order in the list. VI I liked but idk just I liked V just a bit more don’t really have a reason why.

And yeah I know you aren’t trying to pick a fight, everyone has their own opinions and I respect that, more people in this world need to lol.
I wasn't really posting the flame warning for you but for anyone else who reads this. Very long time fans of the series that were huge fans during the Squaresoft days and before FFVII are few and far between and from what I've seen on other forums (reddit, gamefaqs) not liked very much. The old man fans lol.

I should give FFXII another chance, unfortunately for me the Gambit system was actually a downside and made the game feel kind of pointless (I'm sure you've heard the "with proper Gambits the game just plays itself" argument and that's what I'm saying). The story and characters (well, except Vaan) seemed good. I have FFXV for PC and should probably try it because at least it looks better than FFXIII. What turned me off though is how the large areas look very similar to another series I love, Xenoblade, with big open areas and dinosaur-esque monsters. That is, it just looked totally ripped off to me.

Liking V more than VI is something I don't think I've ever heard but I can understand why as I like IV more than VI. I like all of the SNES/16-bit Final Fantasy games and have spent many thousands of hours on the trio. FFV has excellent music, gameplay and world design and is also probably the toughest of the 16-bit games, many nasty boss battles and some quite early (the last crystal in the first world where you fly your airship to an ancient floating fortress and have to take out 4 turrets then a boss- that boss is hell, but if you have Lvl 5. Death it works on him.) I think VI is the best overall and the reason people like it so much is the iconic music, the depth of the game, the story, and that it has the most fleshed out characters (well, ten of them or so anyway).

I think you would really like FFIV if you liked FFV a lot. The feel is similar- at least, the gameplay and battles are more similar between FFIV and FFV than between FFV and FFVI.

My console collection:
Spoiler!

Want to play some games? Gaming since '88
[Official] OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club
Big Red
(29 items)
Big Blue?
(14 items)
CPU
i7 4790k SiliconLottery 4.8GHz delidded
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero bios 1603 microcode 23
GPU
EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 2012/5760MHz
GPU
RAM
G.SKILL TridentX DDR3 2600MHz 10-12-12-31
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 256GB
Hard Drive
WD Black 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 4TB
Optical Drive
Lite-On DVD-RW
Power Supply
COOLERMASTER V1000
Cooling
Corsair H100i V2 (plastidipped red tubing)
Cooling
2x Corsair SP120 HP Red LED radiator, 1x Corsair SP140 HP Red LED rear, Thermaltake 140mm front
Cooling
Prolimatech PK-3 Nano 30g tube
Case
Corsair 780T w/ custom red paint
Operating System
Win7 x64 SP2
Operating System
Debian-based Linux distribution
Monitor
3x ASUS V239 23" 1080p IPS Surround, 60Hz
Keyboard
Ducky One 2 RGB PKT MX Reds
Keyboard
OCN Ducky DK1008 MX Blues
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Lux red led/MX Reds
Mouse
Redragon Centrophorus
Mousepad
Corsair Polaris RGB
Audio
Logitech G230 red
Audio
Old beat-up Logitech Z2300 2.1 200w 8" sub
Other
Logisys red LED "Meteor Light"
Other
Custom acrylic PSU shroud "Big Red" (black w/ red led logo, v1tech)
Other
Custom acrylic drive cage shroud "[email protected]" (black w/ red logo. Clockwerkindustries)
Other
4x PCI-E 8 pin black/red sleeved cable extensions, 1x 24 pin black/red sleeved cable extensions
Other
Case badges Frozencpu "Intel i7", "Republic of Gamers", "EVGA"
CPU
i5-7600k 4.7ghz 1.26v
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Z270H Strix
GPU
Sapphire R9 380X Nitro 1200/1500mhz
RAM
G.skill Ripjaws4 DDR4-3000 CAS15
Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 320gb
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 256gb
Power Supply
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Thermaltake Core V71
Operating System
Win10 Home
Monitor
2x ASUS V236H 1080p
Keyboard
Corsair K70 Lux Blue LED Cherry MX Blue
Mouse
Cooler Master
Mouse
Thermaltake GAMMA
CPU
HuC6280 7.16MHz
Motherboard
NEC
GPU
HuC6260 Video Color Encoder (slave of HuC6270A)
GPU
HuC6270A Video Display Contoller 64kB VRAM
RAM
8kB
Optical Drive
HuCard (38 pin removable EEPROM storage, size of a credit card)
Case
Core Grafx case, 5.5" x 5.5", smallest home console ever
Operating System
PC Engine BIOS
Monitor
24"flat CRT television, 60Hz, 256x239
Keyboard
PC Engine 2-button controller
Audio
Hu6280A 6-channel on CPU die
Other
Brand new Nichicon electrolytic capacitors
▲ hide details ▲

post #203 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 12:16 PM
Are you sure about that?
TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about TwilightRavens has a spectacular aura about

I wasn't really posting the flame warning for you but for anyone else who reads this. Very long time fans of the series that were huge fans during the Squaresoft days and before FFVII are few and far between and from what I've seen on other forums (reddit, gamefaqs) not liked very much. The old man fans lol.

I should give FFXII another chance, unfortunately for me the Gambit system was actually a downside and made the game feel kind of pointless (I'm sure you've heard the "with proper Gambits the game just plays itself" argument and that's what I'm saying). The story and characters (well, except Vaan) seemed good. I have FFXV for PC and should probably try it because at least it looks better than FFXIII. What turned me off though is how the large areas look very similar to another series I love, Xenoblade, with big open areas and dinosaur-esque monsters. That is, it just looked totally ripped off to me.

Liking V more than VI is something I don't think I've ever heard but I can understand why as I like IV more than VI. I like all of the SNES/16-bit Final Fantasy games and have spent many thousands of hours on the trio. FFV has excellent music, gameplay and world design and is also probably the toughest of the 16-bit games, many nasty boss battles and some quite early (the last crystal in the first world where you fly your airship to an ancient floating fortress and have to take out 4 turrets then a boss- that boss is hell, but if you have Lvl 5. Death it works on him.) I think VI is the best overall and the reason people like it so much is the iconic music, the depth of the game, the story, and that it has the most fleshed out characters (well, ten of them or so anyway).

I think you would really like FFIV if you liked FFV a lot. The feel is similar- at least, the gameplay and battles are more similar between FFIV and FFV than between FFV and FFVI.
Yeah I probably will give IV a shot one of these days. And for XII you technically don’t have to use the gambit system, but i use it on the two other party members that I don’t specifically control. The best one is Self > Decoy that way you have a tank though if you do use that its best to have anyone but Basch as it will fail more often because his magic really sucks. If you do give it a shot I highly recommend The Zodiac Age remaster, it adds the job system from the International Zodiac Job version and just makes the game feel better.

"In Yorkfield, crossing the Ivy Bridge to get over Coffee Lake, while Ryzen to the challenge with my Broadwell."
Mars (My Rig)
(14 items)
Pluto
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Superclocked 2.1GHz boost (sometimes) 2.08GHz most of the time.
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42” HDTV (Temporary)
Keyboard
Mouse
Other
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Thermaltake White 80+
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
Keyboard
Mouse
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD
Hard Drive
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Optical Drive
ASUS CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
Cooling
Wraith Spire AM4 Cooler
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung 24" 1080p curved
Keyboard
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 09:05 PM
あほか щ(゜ロ゜щ)
neurotix is on a distinguished road neurotix is on a distinguished road neurotix is on a distinguished road

Quote: Originally Posted by TwilightRavens View Post
Yeah I probably will give IV a shot one of these days. And for XII you technically don’t have to use the gambit system, but i use it on the two other party members that I don’t specifically control. The best one is Self > Decoy that way you have a tank though if you do use that its best to have anyone but Basch as it will fail more often because his magic really sucks. If you do give it a shot I highly recommend The Zodiac Age remaster, it adds the job system from the International Zodiac Job version and just makes the game feel better.
This is actually what I tried when I played it around 2011! I played it on PS2 with a patch. I actually didn't care for it and felt it was too limiting, but I've never even played/finished the original release with the full license grids, so if I do ever play it I will probably stick with the original release.

My console collection:
Spoiler!

Big Red
(29 items)
Big Blue?
(14 items)
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 256GB
Hard Drive
WD Black 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 4TB
Optical Drive
Lite-On DVD-RW
Power Supply
COOLERMASTER V1000
Cooling
Cooling
2x Corsair SP120 HP Red LED radiator, 1x Corsair SP140 HP Red LED rear, Thermaltake 140mm front
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Win7 x64 SP2
Operating System
Monitor
Keyboard
Keyboard
Keyboard
Mouse
Redragon Centrophorus
Mousepad
Corsair Polaris RGB
Audio
Logitech G230 red
Audio
Other
Other
Other
Custom acrylic drive cage shroud "[email protected]" (black w/ red logo. Clockwerkindustries)
Other
4x PCI-E 8 pin black/red sleeved cable extensions, 1x 24 pin black/red sleeved cable extensions
Other
CPU
i5-7600k 4.7ghz 1.26v
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Z270H Strix
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 256gb
Power Supply
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Thermaltake Core V71
Operating System
Win10 Home
Monitor
2x ASUS V236H 1080p
Keyboard
Mouse
Cooler Master
Mouse
Thermaltake GAMMA
CPU
HuC6280 7.16MHz
Motherboard
NEC
GPU
GPU
RAM
8kB
Optical Drive
Case
Operating System
PC Engine BIOS
Monitor
Keyboard
Audio
Other
▲ hide details ▲

post #205 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 12:14 PM
Are you sure about that?

This is actually what I tried when I played it around 2011! I played it on PS2 with a patch. I actually didn't care for it and felt it was too limiting, but I've never even played/finished the original release with the full license grids, so if I do ever play it I will probably stick with the original release.
Yeah the OG version of the game is fun too, pretty much as much flexibility as you want. Though the remaster has uncapped damage so you can deal more than the previous 9999 max. But yeah you may like it better than the remaster.

Mars (My Rig)
(14 items)
Pluto
(15 items)
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Cooling
Corsair H100i v2
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
42” HDTV (Temporary)
Keyboard
Mouse
Other
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Power Supply
Thermaltake White 80+
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)
Keyboard
Mouse
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Noctua NF-F12 PWM
Other
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
CPU
Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Crucial MX300 SSD
Hard Drive
HGST 1TB 2.5"
Optical Drive
ASUS CD/DVD Drive
Power Supply
Corsair CX650
Cooling
Wraith Spire AM4 Cooler
Case
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro x64
Monitor
Samsung 24" 1080p curved
Keyboard
Mouse
▲ hide details ▲
post #206 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:51 PM
あほか щ(゜ロ゜щ)

It was mostly about the classes I chose (I don't even remember but it was probably a tank type, a healer, and a nuker) and lack of access to weapons/gear I needed. I kept getting things I couldn't use.

That wouldn't be a problem in the original release.

My console collection:
Spoiler!

Big Red
(29 items)
Big Blue?
(14 items)
CPU
Motherboard
GPU
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo 256GB
Hard Drive
WD Black 2TB
Hard Drive
WD Blue 4TB
Optical Drive
Lite-On DVD-RW
Power Supply
COOLERMASTER V1000
Cooling
Cooling
Cooling
Case
Operating System
Win7 x64 SP2
Operating System
Monitor
Keyboard
Keyboard
Keyboard
Mouse
Redragon Centrophorus
Mousepad
Corsair Polaris RGB
Audio
Logitech G230 red
Audio
Other
Other
Other
Other
Other
CPU
i5-7600k 4.7ghz 1.26v
Motherboard
ASUS ROG Z270H Strix
GPU
RAM
Hard Drive
Hard Drive
Samsung 850 Evo 256gb
Power Supply
OCZ ModXStream Pro 500w
Cooling
Corsair H60
Case
Thermaltake Core V71
Operating System
Win10 Home
Monitor
2x ASUS V236H 1080p
Keyboard
Mouse
Cooler Master
Mouse
Thermaltake GAMMA
CPU
HuC6280 7.16MHz
Motherboard
NEC
GPU
GPU
RAM
8kB
Optical Drive
Case
Operating System
PC Engine BIOS
Monitor
Keyboard
Audio
Other
▲ hide details ▲

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in