Viewing Review: ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid II GPU Cooler Review - Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid II GPU Cooler Review Edit

Ratings
Overall:
by WilliamGayde
Pros Cons
  • Great performance, Silent, Low profile cooler
  • Instructions are not helpful, Price, Backplate takes up 3 slots
Buy it at Amazon.com
Buy it
The Accelero Hybrid II is an upgrade to ARCTIC's previous hybrid GPU cooler. The Hybrid II combines air and liquid cooling to achieve great performance. The Hybrid II is the liquid component of ARCTIC's new line of coolers. For a review of their new air cooler, head over here.

The front of the box is rather simple featuring a product image with an advertisement for the included fan as well as ARCTIC showing off their Carbon Neutral initiative. The back lists several usage scenarios.

The side shows several comparisons as well as some highlighted features. The back shows compatibility information, tech specs, and a structural overview.

Here is everything in the box. We get the unit itself, a 120mm fan, some thermal paste, an instruction manual, a plastic sheet, thermal pads, mounting hardware, and a GPU mounting bracket.

Taking a closer look at the unit, it looks almost identical to a CPU cooler and could easily be mistaken for one. The fins are rather dense allowing for greater heat dissipation.

The copper plate/pump combo allows for 3 different mounting sizes. Here is the obligatory finger test.

The included fan is very high quality. It features a 4 pin connector designed to plug directly into the GPU or into an adapter.

Here is the fan mounted

And finally some glamour shots of the unit.

Performance 4.5/5
Performance is obviously the most important feature of the cooler. It offers improvements in many different aspects. It cools the card better allowing for higher overclocks. It is quieter which allows for higher fan speeds and lower temperatures. It also moves the heat far away from the card allowing for very dense component setups. This is different from stock coolers which move the heat around the card instead of away and out of the case.

In terms of actual numbers, the Hybrid II performed well. The test was run on a non-reference 280X at stock speed then a medium overclock. Since the unit is a single 120mm radiator, performance was great but not perfect. I would have liked a thicker radiator or possibly a 140mm design for higher end GPUs. I was also surprised that there were no RAM or VRM headsinks. Just the pads on the back. The front is totally bare except for the pump. That being said, it is still night and day compared to the stock cooler.

After a while the radiator and backpalte heatsink got hot to the touch. This is a good sign as all the heat is being moved away from the GPU core and dissipated. The pump is virtually silent and the fan is very quiet at normal operation. Of course at very high speeds the fan will become audible, but it is better than nothing. You may consider getting a better fan since lots of heat will be generated.

Usability 4/5
The unit is rather difficult to install at first, but all aftermarket coolers are. For the review I installed it on a Sapphire Vapor-X 280X.

The instructions are helpful for some steps, but useless for others. I ended up following the final pictures rather than each step. After installing it once, it was very easy to repeat.

The first step is obviously to remove the stock cooler and clean up the thermal paste.

Next you will want to place the blue thermal pads on the backs of the VRMs, RAM modules, and anything else that will get hot.

After that you will want to locate the plastic sheet and trace out where the thermal pads are. You want the pads to make contact with the metal backplate, but nothing else.

Then, using the included thermal paste, add a pea sized amount to the clean GPU. If you want to you can spread it around with a plastic bag, but it should be fine without. Then screw in the 4 screws into the cooler.

Next place the backplate on the card so the 4 cutouts are aligned with the 4 screw holes. Then thread the cooler with screws through those 4 holes and through the backplate. Then place a flat metal piece on each of the 4 screws and add a nut on top to secure. Tighten evenly and diagonally. You may want to add some clips around the outside to hold the backplate on. I used a couple and they helped a lot.

Here is the the final installation. Note that it will take up an additional slot on top of the card due to the backplate.

To wrap it all up, the ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid II liquid GPU cooler is great. It is a huge improvement over the stock cooler in looks, temperature, and sound. Despite some small performance issues and a tricky installation at first, it exceeded my expectations. I can run it at nearly full speed without any noise. This card is great for someone who wants to liquid cool but doesn't have the money or time for a full loop. I would highly recommend it.
Comments
You do not have permissions to add comments.
Morrigan 09-16-2015, 08:33 AM

Thanks for your reply! I have installed it but im curious what temp you get with stock clocks on furmark with this setting:
http://imgur.com/er6qteJ

I wanna know your temps so i can put my mind to piece

WilliamGayde 09-14-2015, 09:40 PM

Hi Morrigan,

I am currently running it on a 280X and there is plenty of contact between the chip and heatsink. The fan and pump are not loud at all. The backplate does a pretty good job at cooling the card. There is no direct contact with the RAM and VRM but I have not had any problems. The heatsink gets pretty warm which indicates it is working well.

Morrigan 09-13-2015, 08:02 AM

Hi! and nice review! I'm going to buy this for my sapphire r9 280(non x) since my fan bearings got stucked anyway do your gpu have good contact with that cooler since 280(x) is tahiti gpu with little rised square on chip and some people says its not offically supported for tahiti. is that fan how loud? and will that passive heatsink cool vrm and vram really? and is that pump noisy. Thanks for your time!