Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - Reply to Topic

Thread: * * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan Data..* Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
10-21-2019 05:59 AM
doyll
Quote: Originally Posted by XtrathiccFan View Post
Thermalright C-12 is pretty good, slightly better performance and slightly louder than Noctua A12x25 while being half of the price of A12x25.

Though C-12 seems to be only available in China and Taiwan.
I've only use C12 sample and liked it. Honestly I can't think of any Thermalright fan that isn't decent, but I haven't tried all their new ones yet.
10-21-2019 05:57 AM
doyll
Quote: Originally Posted by Melcar View Post
For me the TYs move less air than the A14s or even the A15s, and cool slightly better. The TYs are much quieter with a smoother sound profile, however.
While some of what you say I agree with, some I don't understand your post. How can a fan flow less air and cool slightly better? And if a fan has a smoother sound profile isn't it less noticeable / sound quieter to listener?


Quote: Originally Posted by D-EJ915 View Post
I didn't notice much sound difference between my A14 IPPC 2000 and my Cooljag and TY fans. The only one that is more annoying is the TY-143 which both of mine have bearing noise. If sound quality is a concern just order 1 of each from amazon and return the one you don't like because they all perform about the same. This is what I did for myself although I kept them.
Quote: Originally Posted by XtrathiccFan View Post
Maybe I got a defective unit, it did start to rattle after 3 month of use, I am not making that up. I RMA'ed and sold it though.

Personal preference is, well, personal preference. You prefer TY-14x due to its "reasonable" price, I prefer A14 for its bearing and smoother sound profile. There is no right or wrong choosing either, that's just personal preference after all.

TY-143's ball-bearing sound is very present while running at 1000 rpm, maybe you don't mind it, but some people do. True, we all have differen

As for performance, I would rather believe independent review.
I prefer TYs not so much because they were lower priced but because they more plenty of air at very low inobstrusive sound. Indeed, it's personal preference.


Quote: Originally Posted by blue.dot View Post
Whats the second best or third best option for intake fans? I finally got decent case (Fractal Design Focus G), and while it already has two 120mm fans pre-installed, I'd rather something better (I find them bit noisy and the white LED is really strong for my taste, I'd rather have no LEDs at all..). But I'd like to keep it low budget. From my previous case, I have CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 and a semi-decent AKASA 120mm fan, both PWM. The CM one is pretty good I think, I believe its also used on Hyper 212, so I was thinking of putting it as exhaust? And then buying two 140mm fans as intakes.

I do have the HDD bay installed on the bottom, but since its causing a lot of vibrations, I'm thinking of pulling it out and moving the HDD to the ODD bay up top. Then the bottom fan would have no obstruction behind it.

Also while I'm at this topic, what do you guys use for fan control? SpeedFan unfortunately doesn't support the IO chip on my B450 Tomahawk, I have tried (and paid) for Argus few years ago, but not sure I want to do it again just to have a software fan control. The MSI apps sucks and takes huge system resources...
Second and third best is reative to what is available and price. For me good case fans are mandatory, and exhaust case fans are rarely needed. I haven't used exhaust fan in years now. End result is we can pay a little more to have good intake fans and still spend less because we need fewer fans.
Here I can get 2-packs of PH-F140MP for £16.26 which are very good fans at a very low price. Another fan I have not tried so hesitate to suggest is Arctic P14 PWM PST, P14 which can often be found here for about £6.95 each.

I almost always use motherboard software for fan control. I'm using MSI in one of my builds and it's fine. Only complaint is once I got fan curve figured out I had put it in bios or I had to re-load setting every startup. I didn't have it running once curve is set, so didn't notice resource useage. Maybe not as good as Speedfan but does a decent job.
10-21-2019 03:46 AM
XtrathiccFan
Quote: Originally Posted by blue.dot View Post
Whats the second best or third best option for intake fans? I finally got decent case (Fractal Design Focus G), and while it already has two 120mm fans pre-installed, I'd rather something better (I find them bit noisy and the white LED is really strong for my taste, I'd rather have no LEDs at all..). But I'd like to keep it low budget. From my previous case, I have CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 and a semi-decent AKASA 120mm fan, both PWM. The CM one is pretty good I think, I believe its also used on Hyper 212, so I was thinking of putting it as exhaust? And then buying two 140mm fans as intakes.

I do have the HDD bay installed on the bottom, but since its causing a lot of vibrations, I'm thinking of pulling it out and moving the HDD to the ODD bay up top. Then the bottom fan would have no obstruction behind it.

Also while I'm at this topic, what do you guys use for fan control? SpeedFan unfortunately doesn't support the IO chip on my B450 Tomahawk, I have tried (and paid) for Argus few years ago, but not sure I want to do it again just to have a software fan control. The MSI apps sucks and takes huge system resources...
Thermalright C-12 is pretty good, slightly better performance and slightly louder than Noctua A12x25 while being half of the price of A12x25.

Though C-12 seems to be only available in China and Taiwan.
10-21-2019 02:42 AM
blue.dot Whats the second best or third best option for intake fans? I finally got decent case (Fractal Design Focus G), and while it already has two 120mm fans pre-installed, I'd rather something better (I find them bit noisy and the white LED is really strong for my taste, I'd rather have no LEDs at all..). But I'd like to keep it low budget. From my previous case, I have CoolerMaster Silencio FP120 and a semi-decent AKASA 120mm fan, both PWM. The CM one is pretty good I think, I believe its also used on Hyper 212, so I was thinking of putting it as exhaust? And then buying two 140mm fans as intakes.

I do have the HDD bay installed on the bottom, but since its causing a lot of vibrations, I'm thinking of pulling it out and moving the HDD to the ODD bay up top. Then the bottom fan would have no obstruction behind it.

Also while I'm at this topic, what do you guys use for fan control? SpeedFan unfortunately doesn't support the IO chip on my B450 Tomahawk, I have tried (and paid) for Argus few years ago, but not sure I want to do it again just to have a software fan control. The MSI apps sucks and takes huge system resources...
10-20-2019 09:12 PM
XtrathiccFan
Quote: Originally Posted by doyll View Post
I dissagree. I prefer TY-14x series fans to NF-A14 hands down. They move more air at same nosise level.


Also you are blowing smoke with no fire .. TY-14x FDB / sleeve bearing run for years without issue. I have TY-140 in bottom of Define R2 case t for 9-10 years running pretty much 24/7 and still going strong. It's quieter than TY-143 on cooler .. and many other TY-140's in other builds with no issues. If I get up real close I can hear the ball-bearing in TY-143 after all these years. TY-140 has been OEM for long, long time because Thermalright changed colors to black/white from grey/blue or whatever colors the TY-140 are. Then a few years later to TY-147A with lower idle and speed curve.



These Thermalright fan were / are may people's prefered fan when they can get them at reasonable prices. They perform well, are quiet and last a long, long time.
Maybe I got a defective unit, it did start to rattle after 3 month of use, I am not making that up. I RMA'ed and sold it though.

Personal preference is, well, personal preference. You prefer TY-14x due to its "reasonable" price, I prefer A14 for its bearing and smoother sound profile. There is no right or wrong choosing either, that's just personal preference after all.

TY-143's ball-bearing sound is very present while running at 1000 rpm, maybe you don't mind it, but some people do.

As for performance, I would rather believe independent review.
10-20-2019 05:53 PM
D-EJ915 I didn't notice much sound difference between my A14 IPPC 2000 and my Cooljag and TY fans. The only one that is more annoying is the TY-143 which both of mine have bearing noise. If sound quality is a concern just order 1 of each from amazon and return the one you don't like because they all perform about the same. This is what I did for myself although I kept them.
10-20-2019 10:41 AM
Melcar For me the TYs move less air than the A14s or even the A15s, and cool slightly better. The TYs are much quieter with a smoother sound profile, however.
10-20-2019 09:59 AM
doyll
Quote: Originally Posted by XtrathiccFan View Post
The fan blade comparison doesn't make any sense. The blade angle and curvature are different between A14 and TY-147. Those parameters affect the performance and noise the most, e.g. A12x25 , MF120 AB, and gentle typhoon.

While running both fans (TY-147 and A14) at 1300rpm, the "loudness" or dBa is about the same, but TY-147 has a lot of air turbulence sound while A14 sounds smoother. Sound profile is subjective, but that's just my opinion.

Due to different blade angle and curvature, TY-147 (TY-143 in this case) is quieter but performs worse than A14 at same RPM.

TY-147 is about half the price of A14, which is okay for those who don't care about noise profile and want similar noise normalized performance.

However, DO NOT mount TY-147 horizontally because of its sleeve bearing, it start making a lot of bearing noise after 3 months.

Reference:
http://thermalbench.com/2016/08/19/t...-140-mm-fan/3/

I dissagree. I prefer TY-14x series fans to NF-A14 hands down. They move more air at same nosise level.


Also you are blowing smoke with no fire .. TY-14x FDB / sleeve bearing run for years without issue. I have TY-140 in bottom of Define R2 case t for 9-10 years running pretty much 24/7 and still going strong. It's quieter than TY-143 on cooler .. and many other TY-140's in other builds with no issues. If I get up real close I can hear the ball-bearing in TY-143 after all these years. TY-140 has been OEM for long, long time because Thermalright changed colors to black/white from grey/blue or whatever colors the TY-140 are. Then a few years later to TY-147A with lower idle and speed curve.



These Thermalright fan were / are may people's prefered fan when they can get them at reasonable prices. They perform well, are quiet and last a long, long time.
10-20-2019 08:58 AM
XtrathiccFan The fan blade comparison doesn't make any sense. The blade angle and curvature are different between A14 and TY-147. Those parameters affect the performance and noise the most, e.g. A12x25 , MF120 AB, and gentle typhoon.

While running both fans (TY-147 and A14) at 1300rpm, the "loudness" or dBa is about the same, but TY-147 has a lot of air turbulence sound while A14 sounds smoother. Sound profile is subjective, but that's just my opinion.





Due to different blade angle and curvature, TY-147 (TY-143 in this case) is quieter but performs worse than A14 at same RPM.



TY-147 is about half the price of A14, which is okay for those who don't care about noise profile and want similar noise normalized performance.

However, DO NOT mount TY-147 horizontally because of its sleeve bearing, it start making a lot of bearing noise after 3 months.

Reference:
http://thermalbench.com/2016/08/19/t...-140-mm-fan/3/
10-04-2019 06:22 AM
doyll
Quote: Originally Posted by eBombzor View Post
This is not possible with some recent cards from EVGA or ASUS (MSI/the AMD brands don't seem to have this issue) as they have this soldered metal bracket that connects the shroud and the fans to the heatsink. I have this problem with my EVGA 2060 and not even my 90mm fan can fit under those idiotic metal tabs that jut out like an inch high. It's ridiculous that they added these. Not to mention the screws that unscrew the shroud are covered under dense plastic now.

https://hardforum.com/threads/ncase-...ost-1043883004

Of course you can rip it off but that voids the warranty and takes a lot of elbow grease. ASUS card -> https://imgur.com/zqVruBd

The design teams went full Apple on these cards.
Bummer. I suppose if user has plenty of open PCIe slots a shroud from fins out past metal frame with fans on outside might work. Would make GPU over an inch thicker than stock.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off