Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - Reply to Topic

Thread: [videocardz] geforce 1070 for notebooks Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
07-10-2016 08:20 PM
TK421
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanVXL View Post

MQ has unlocked current settings. When OCing an HQ more often than not if you try tweaking voltage to lower tdp and get a higher clock the current limit(pcl) kicks in and throttles the cpu anyway.

Notebooks cpus are great, almost identical to desktop variants but absolutely no fun to try and OC for better performance. Intel locked everything down unless you get the really expensive models.

HQs are crap

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/246907-how-mobile-i7-cpus-work/

Unless, you have a haswell HQ/MQ and you use the microcode bug to unlock the multipliers
07-10-2016 07:44 PM
SpartanVXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by alawadhi3000 View Post

My 4710HQ can holds about 3.2GHz-3.3GHz tops.
Also AFAIK both the HQ and MQ are the same, except that the MQ is a socket processor that you can replace.
Yeah, it happened with 8xx series laptops when the 9xx series was released.

MQ has unlocked current settings. When OCing an HQ more often than not if you try tweaking voltage to lower tdp and get a higher clock the current limit(pcl) kicks in and throttles the cpu anyway.

Notebooks cpus are great, almost identical to desktop variants but absolutely no fun to try and OC for better performance. Intel locked everything down unless you get the really expensive models.
07-09-2016 06:24 PM
Shogon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

Just a matter of time indeed, my next monitor will be OLED for sure, so hopefully sooner than later.

The reason for the lack of 1440P on gaming laptops ia because there haven't really been many that could handle 1440p properly (Pretty much only the full 980 could). UHD is preferable because you can just run your game at 1080 and have it scale fairly decently to UHD.

Yeah that makes sense indeed. It never really crossed my mind to see it that way, but then again I haven't used a laptop as a main PC in over 10 years and a lot has changed.
07-09-2016 05:40 PM
Gilles3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shogon View Post

Gotcha. We are probably a few years out until some more notebooks get OLED screens. I'd just like my next desktop, or even laptop, screen to utilize OLED so long as it becomes more widespread and cheaper (which it will, just takes time).

Ahhkay. I have heard of Clevo before, but I was unsure if they were affiliated with Sager or Clevo was their own separate company. Would be nice if they upped the resolution to 1440p on these gaming notebooks. Seems like it is either 1080p or 4k.

Just a matter of time indeed, my next monitor will be OLED for sure, so hopefully sooner than later.

The reason for the lack of 1440P on gaming laptops ia because there haven't really been many that could handle 1440p properly (Pretty much only the full 980 could). UHD is preferable because you can just run your game at 1080 and have it scale fairly decently to UHD.
07-09-2016 05:17 PM
Shogon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

There's only one notebook with an OLED panel, that I know of, the HP Spectre x360, and its a 13.3" ultrabook. It seems like OLED isn't quite there yet for monitor use.

As for sager, its a Clevo reseller. Clevo's are pretty good imo, they offer great price to performance. Build qaulity is decent but basic.

Have recommended them before and the ones that bought them weren't disappointed.

Gotcha. We are probably a few years out until some more notebooks get OLED screens. I'd just like my next desktop, or even laptop, screen to utilize OLED so long as it becomes more widespread and cheaper (which it will, just takes time).

Ahhkay. I have heard of Clevo before, but I was unsure if they were affiliated with Sager or Clevo was their own separate company. Would be nice if they upped the resolution to 1440p on these gaming notebooks. Seems like it is either 1080p or 4k.
07-09-2016 04:18 PM
Gilles3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imglidinhere View Post

And yet again you are wrong. smile.gif

Research please!

Also you cannot upgrade CPUs anymore unless it's one of the desktop CPU models. All mobile CPUs have become soldered.

He was being sarcastic, although it really didn't translate into text well.

Just scroll down a bit, he already replied about it.
07-09-2016 03:57 PM
Imglidinhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsan View Post

But this is useless as laptops cant handle the heat or overclock

And yet again you are wrong. smile.gif

Research please!

Also you cannot upgrade CPUs anymore unless it's one of the desktop CPU models. All mobile CPUs have become soldered.
07-09-2016 01:34 PM
alawadhi3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

How are the Sager laptops better than MSI or Asus?

Depends on the model for both.
07-09-2016 12:35 PM
Kpjoslee
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

How are the Sager laptops better than MSI or Asus?

I think their high end models are only ones you can upgrade CPUs on your own, since they use standard sockets.
07-09-2016 12:22 PM
iARDAs How are the Sager laptops better than MSI or Asus?
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off