|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|06-23-2019 02:48 PM|
Wait for reviews before you decide. You also need to ask yourself
1. How urgent do you need your PC. There will always be newer tech coming in 2020/2021/2022.
2. Do I need more than 28PCIE channels. If so then you need X299 or wait for threadripper 7nm
3. How much cooling are you prepared to invest in. Ryzen 3000 should require less cooling but we won't know extent till reviews are in. You need either: chillers,external radiators,multiple 480mm radiators for 7980XE 4.5ghz+.
If you still decide X299 after the reviews, just go pick up an used X299 Motherboard or wait for retailers to drop the price. I'm jumping to X570 as well myself. The best deal X299 CPU and mobo would be mine. If I was selling, I am only looking for 300USD for 7920X and X299 Apex. However, there is an waiting list with my best friend being given first opportunity.
The 16core Ryzen 3000 won't be out till September for your information btw.
|06-23-2019 02:15 PM|
I kindly ask for your advice
So I have the option to buy a 7980XE for a good price, 950$. I do not have a X299 motherboard, but if I buy the 7980XE I would have to purchase a mobo, and they look pretty expensive. I figure that I can't just buy any X299 board for this CPU, (been looking at the cheaper options like the Raider, Strix, etc) due to VRM being to weak for a 7980XE overlocked? If I get it I want to run it around 4,4-46GHz 24/7.
I was thinking of going for 3950X and a decent X570 motherboard until this offer came up.
TLDR; Do you guys think it is worth that kind of money still, considering Ryzen 2 release in july with 16 cores, and most likely Threadripper 2 year 2020?
|06-22-2019 09:24 AM|
|Section31||There are other reasons I want to upgrade including intel security holes and I want to avoid buying more radiator as it appears it is necessary to keep this cpu cool. Also. I want to slightly downsize from my Caselabs S8. I'm thinking about going single 360 and adding a Mora Radiator. My upgrade is switching to ryzen 3000 and x570. Costs wise are less than 1k US as I only need to buy CPU, Mobo. When Intel 7nm comes out, I will think about switching back.|
|06-22-2019 06:08 AM|
Interesting. That might explain my temperature issues partially. However, I don't have the time to actually examine and reapply the liquid metal. Its cheaper for me just to upgrade.
That really doesn't make much sense but if scared to redo the delid I can understand that better than no time to do it verses spending another 1k.us+ to buy another chip
|06-21-2019 09:13 AM|
Ran a sillicon ottery 7900X at 5Ghz for over a year with my only problem being stupid enough to buy a monoblock. Two cores always hotter. Went to seperate blocks and never had another issue. Ive since replaced that with a 9940X and couldnt be happier. Managed to get a good sample that will run 5GHz on all cores under water, no chiller. Just over kill single loop with 2X 480 and one 360 rad with serial D5 pumps.
Edit: just noticed this is the 10,000th post here
|06-21-2019 12:05 AM|
|06-20-2019 11:39 PM|
|Section31||If that is what is needed to cool this platform that is a lot. I need an sma8a for that. Sounds like i should get an heatkiller mora down the road.|
|06-20-2019 09:08 PM|
|06-20-2019 11:53 AM|
Heck post hwinfo at what ever clocks and manual voltage you've used and lets see the core temp spread.
If the core temps are way off too like more than 10c could be a liquid metal application problem lord knows I had that problem too from silicon lottery it only lasted 9-10 months before I had to redo it.
|06-20-2019 10:50 AM|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|