Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - Reply to Topic

Thread: Skylake-X/Kaby Lake-X Combined Discussion Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
06-26-2019 09:30 PM
JustinThyme
Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Hi,
Yep worth reselling too maybe that is an expensive chip pigeon poop still or was it delid already ?
Thats an expensive pigeon!!!
Yes of course history of the chip is everything. If its been run through the wringer or an outright spud then the curb appeal diminishes.
06-26-2019 06:07 AM
ThrashZone Hi,
Yep worth reselling too maybe that is an expensive chip pigeon poop still or was it delid already ?
06-26-2019 04:34 AM
JustinThyme
Quote: Originally Posted by Medusa666 View Post
I kindly ask for your advice

So I have the option to buy a 7980XE for a good price, 950$. I do not have a X299 motherboard, but if I buy the 7980XE I would have to purchase a mobo, and they look pretty expensive. I figure that I can't just buy any X299 board for this CPU, (been looking at the cheaper options like the Raider, Strix, etc) due to VRM being to weak for a 7980XE overlocked? If I get it I want to run it around 4,4-46GHz 24/7.

I was thinking of going for 3950X and a decent X570 motherboard until this offer came up.

TLDR; Do you guys think it is worth that kind of money still, considering Ryzen 2 release in july with 16 cores, and most likely Threadripper 2 year 2020?
18 ccores and 40 lanes, go for it.
There is always something on the horizon. If you wait for the next best thing you will be waiting in your grave. Lotta talk abpout the 3950X but at this point.....thats all it is. Personally if I was to go that route Id wait for the second gen of it.
06-25-2019 09:58 PM
D-EJ915 You guys think it's worthwhile to get a different chip or board at this point? EVGA seems to have no idea how to get the 2nd U.2 port to work with the 9900X they suggested RMA but the second board has the same problem.
06-23-2019 02:48 PM
Section31 Wait for reviews before you decide. You also need to ask yourself
1. How urgent do you need your PC. There will always be newer tech coming in 2020/2021/2022.
2. Do I need more than 28PCIE channels. If so then you need X299 or wait for threadripper 7nm
3. How much cooling are you prepared to invest in. Ryzen 3000 should require less cooling but we won't know extent till reviews are in. You need either: chillers,external radiators,multiple 480mm radiators for 7980XE 4.5ghz+.

If you still decide X299 after the reviews, just go pick up an used X299 Motherboard or wait for retailers to drop the price. I'm jumping to X570 as well myself. The best deal X299 CPU and mobo would be mine. If I was selling, I am only looking for 300USD for 7920X and X299 Apex. However, there is an waiting list with my best friend being given first opportunity.

The 16core Ryzen 3000 won't be out till September for your information btw.
06-23-2019 02:15 PM
Medusa666 I kindly ask for your advice

So I have the option to buy a 7980XE for a good price, 950$. I do not have a X299 motherboard, but if I buy the 7980XE I would have to purchase a mobo, and they look pretty expensive. I figure that I can't just buy any X299 board for this CPU, (been looking at the cheaper options like the Raider, Strix, etc) due to VRM being to weak for a 7980XE overlocked? If I get it I want to run it around 4,4-46GHz 24/7.

I was thinking of going for 3950X and a decent X570 motherboard until this offer came up.

TLDR; Do you guys think it is worth that kind of money still, considering Ryzen 2 release in july with 16 cores, and most likely Threadripper 2 year 2020?
06-22-2019 09:24 AM
Section31 There are other reasons I want to upgrade including intel security holes and I want to avoid buying more radiator as it appears it is necessary to keep this cpu cool. Also. I want to slightly downsize from my Caselabs S8. I'm thinking about going single 360 and adding a Mora Radiator. My upgrade is switching to ryzen 3000 and x570. Costs wise are less than 1k US as I only need to buy CPU, Mobo. When Intel 7nm comes out, I will think about switching back.
06-22-2019 06:08 AM
ThrashZone
Quote: Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
Interesting. That might explain my temperature issues partially. However, I don't have the time to actually examine and reapply the liquid metal. Its cheaper for me just to upgrade.
Hi,
That really doesn't make much sense but if scared to redo the delid I can understand that better than no time to do it verses spending another 1k.us+ to buy another chip
06-21-2019 09:13 AM
Barefooter
Quote: Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
Ran a sillicon ottery 7900X at 5Ghz for over a year with my only problem being stupid enough to buy a monoblock. Two cores always hotter. Went to seperate blocks and never had another issue. Ive since replaced that with a 9940X and couldnt be happier. Managed to get a good sample that will run 5GHz on all cores under water, no chiller. Just over kill single loop with 2X 480 and one 360 rad with serial D5 pumps.
Yeah I use two separate blocks too only way to go! On my Silicon Lottery 7900X I have a 5.0 GHz bench profile, but use a 4.8 GHz profile for everyday use.

Edit: just noticed this is the 10,000th post here

.
06-21-2019 12:05 AM
clannagh
Quote: Originally Posted by Artah View Post
I wanted to preorder a CPU but none of the motherboards I'm considering is going to be released yet. I'm looking at EVGA dark and RVIE or Apex.
EVGA seem to be having a lot of issues lately including laying off a heap of staff.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off