Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - Reply to Topic

Thread: [YouTube] Rebirth: Introducing photorealism in UE4 Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
04-29-2019 04:10 PM
ToTheSun!
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
I encourage you to read the comment above again. I added to while you were typing yet another terribly illogical response to a terribly stupid debate.
Your comments were duly noted, and I'll be terribly sad to see the possibility of another interaction with you vanish.
04-29-2019 04:06 PM
UltraMega
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
So, I suppose you fully understand the motivations of the creators of a hypothetical simulation, then. You're WAY ahead of all of us.
I encourage you to read the comment above again. I added to while you were typing yet another terribly illogical response to a terribly stupid debate.
04-29-2019 04:02 PM
ToTheSun!
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
It means a lot. There is no point to it if it's not good. The only reason to do it is to make it good, so yes its a very valid point. Stop bending over backwards to be devils advocate.
So, I suppose you fully understand the motivations of the creators of a hypothetical simulation, then. You're WAY ahead of all of us.
04-29-2019 03:43 PM
UltraMega
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
I was critiquing your singular argument regarding why you don't think we're in a simulation.

The fact that it's not a "good" simulation doesn't mean anything.

Note that I'm not making a case either way.
It means a hell of a lot. There is no point to living in a simulation if it's not good. The only reason to replace reality with a simulated reality would be to make it good, so yes its a very valid point.

I point out that if this world is a simulation, it doesnt even come close to achieving it's main objective, and you say its a meaningless "singular argument". An argument does not have to be complicated to be logical.

I feel like I've seen enough of your comments now to just label you as someone with a fixation on being the devils advocate almost as much as possible. Your consistently bad logic has given me enough reason to stop taking you seriously at all, and I doubt if I'll even be bothered to read your comments in the future.

Stop bending over backwards to be devils advocate, it's a bad look.
04-29-2019 03:03 PM
ToTheSun!
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
I'm making a lot of assumptions?
I was critiquing your singular argument regarding why you don't think we're in a simulation.

The fact that it's not a "good" simulation doesn't mean anything.

Note that I'm not making a case either way.
04-29-2019 02:51 PM
rluker5 On a side note, Quixel is working with Nvidia to offer their stuff in MDL format.
https://quixel.com/blog/2019/4/26/qu...ort-nvidia-mdl
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-...tion-language/

It's moving right along

I hope it makes some games look awesome.
04-29-2019 01:05 PM
UltraMega
Quote: Originally Posted by ToTheSun! View Post
I don't care much for this type of discussion, but you're making a lot of assumptions.

Make life good for whom, data?
I'm making a lot of assumptions?

How about the assumption that we live in a simulation? How about the assumption that it would be designed to have so many problems just to convince us its real? There is no logic to the simulation argument other than tech would eventually be so good that why not do it?

But again, if so, why do it so poorly?

We are not in a simulation. I don't feel like I'm making any unjustified assumptions with such an outlandish claim,and any counter to this has way more assumptions.
04-29-2019 02:43 AM
ToTheSun!
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
but... just... .. no.

If we were in a simulation, why would it be such a miserable one?

The point of a simulation would be to make life good, not to make grind filled with all kinds of hateful factions.
I don't care much for this type of discussion, but you're making a lot of assumptions.

Make life good for whom, data?
04-29-2019 02:00 AM
delboy67
Quote: Originally Posted by UltraMega View Post
but... just... .. no.

If we were in a simulation, why would it be such a miserable one?

The point of a simulation would be to make life good, not to make grind filled with all kinds of hateful factions.
Maybe some people want to simulate misery or just dont know any better? My simulation is going just fine.
04-29-2019 12:21 AM
UltraMega
Quote: Originally Posted by anti-clockwize View Post
We are already most likely in a simulation, no further steps to take besides somehow breaking out of the simulation or altering it in real time. Even if we created a fully simulated universe down to every subatomic particle we don't prove we are in one.
but... just... .. no.

If we were in a simulation, why would it be such a miserable one?

The point of a simulation would be to make life good, not to make grind filled with all kinds of hateful factions.
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off