Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: 3rd Gen ThreadRipper VS Xeon 3175X Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
11-26-2019 10:09 AM
rdr09
11-10-2019 03:42 AM
uBronan Good question it might be just one or the other because i think both need a different pin connection.
As far as i remember each major change in different memory or IO in general sports the need for a new socket.

True about the older model threadrippers and if i look at the specs of the TRX40 i would not be surprised you probably can game on them as well
But somehow i think some games might not work on them, especially because AMD calls these machines workstations, but yeah time will tell

AMD did already made clear by being silent that their would not be compatibility between the old and the newest ones, it would surprise me if TRX40, TRX80 and WRX 80 could be interchangeable because the highest end of the market always was on its own.
Leaves the question open if the 8 channel models will be interchangeable or not.

I really would be utterly surprised if it would be possible, as far as the leaks go will the TRX/WRX 80 support up to 64c/128t but more than that is not known for a while longer.
However the massive caches on the new models might make massive difference because the AI has been enormous improved to detect what is needed before it is needed.
I sure want to see how often this AI prediction performs and how often de predictions are spot on. Because we all know that on the xeons the prediction on them is good but also often have a miss and in computer terms slows them down because the cpu has to wait for the correct data from slow sources.
11-09-2019 05:10 PM
J7SC
Quote: Originally Posted by uBronan View Post
yes the wait continues for a while, we need to see how well the TRX80 will perform, but i probably have to wait till the WRX80 gets released for the tasks i want the machines to do, which does not include gaming that i have a game machine for

...indeed, but I never said anything about gaming in the first place. I only use (Intel, AMD) HEDT 'workstation'-type setups as sooner or later, they all end up in a pack of VMs. That said, the 2950X setup in my sig is actually quite a capable gamer...Still, I am really just wondering whether there will be one 64c TR3 that is capable both of 4-channel and 8-channel (depending on mobo, chipset and bios), or two discreet SKU 64c TR3s...will probably find out within a month or two
11-09-2019 04:58 PM
uBronan yes the wait continues for a while, we need to see how well the TRX80 will perform, but i probably have to wait till the WRX80 gets released for the tasks i want the machines to do, which does not include gaming that i have a game machine for
11-09-2019 04:48 PM
J7SC
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

Tx,..I'm wondering though if there will be TWO versions of the 64C/128T TR3 chip, or just one - with the mobo / bios on trx40 or tr(w)x80 deciding on 4 vs 8 channel. Time will tell, I guess
11-09-2019 04:45 PM
uBronan
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
I saw that story w/ the telling MSI screenshot yesterday...just wondering if the 64C will be '''limited''' to 4 channel ram (if the trx40 motherboard box in the pic is anything to go by), with tr(w)x80 / 8 channel making a later appearance
The TRX80 is the new HEDT a step further towards real workstations, but the WRX80 if/when it is being released, sure is not a machine to game on at all, i always wonder why anyone wants to game on these machines ever.
Even though the clocks could be high enough to do so, but question remains will these games start at all on 8 channel ecc memory.
In the paste if one would try to game on them i wrote a report to the boss to fire their asses, and yes most of them disappeared pretty quick.

I am pretty sure the 3950X is already a darn powerful monster which will outperform most 1 cpu workstations already, the new TRX40 will be the first step towards the workstation market and are kinda made exactly what they are made for which probably will run games as well.
The next in line is not made for games at all, i see no reason why anyone wants to game on these machines at all.
So until you test your programs on them you can not say if a machine will perform well, or lacks performance and to be really honest i do not believe epyc is not fast enough for one second.
Even as we speak AMD is still improving almost every machine with bios tweaks, which means people have to regular update the bios else you miss out on performance gains.
11-09-2019 04:35 PM
rdr09
Quote: Originally Posted by J7SC View Post
I saw that story w/ the telling MSI screenshot yesterday...just wondering if the 64C will be '''limited''' to 4 channel ram (if the trx40 motherboard box in the pic is anything to go by), with tr(w)x80 / 8 channel making a later appearance
It was rumored a while back.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/...-channel-leaks

Missed this.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/379-...x80-wrx80.html
11-09-2019 04:31 PM
uBronan
Quote: Originally Posted by nyxagamemnon View Post
Alright need some suggestions.

Option 1. Xeon 3175X

Option 2. Third Gen Thread ripper whatever the highest core count they release.

Here's my only issue the processor needs to perform in gaming and we don't know the configuration of the new Thread Rippers in regards to the Infinity fabric links from the I/O Die to the actual chiplets if they changed it or use a different config that would introduce more latency. Before you say get a 9900K this isn't meant for soley playing games but in the creation of them + play.
Really gaming on a slow cpu for gaming .... well that is again a new low to me.
I would freaking buy a itx game board for that if you have the money to spend on such expensive machine and placed it in dual board case.
11-09-2019 04:27 PM
J7SC
Quote: Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post
Quite a big leap from 32 to 64 cores. They estimate the 3990X will cost around $3000. Cheaper by the core. Also, isn't the 64 core will run 8 channel memory?

This came out yesterday.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threa...ship-cpu-leak/

I saw that story w/ the telling MSI screenshot yesterday...just wondering if the 64C will be '''limited''' to 4 channel ram (if the trx40 motherboard box in the pic is anything to go by), with tr(w)x80 / 8 channel making a later appearance
11-09-2019 04:22 PM
rdr09
Quote: Originally Posted by Hydroplane View Post
If so it will be a bargain compared to 3970X, though I will need to buy some more ddr4
Exactly. That's a lot of RAM lol
This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off