Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/)
-   -   How to remove the pins from an ATX power supply with staples (https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1006680-how-remove-pins-atx-power-supply-staples.html)

Philistine 05-04-2011 01:36 AM

After doing a search of OCN I couldn't find a tutorial on removing pins from an ATX power supply using staples (there may be one but I couldn't find it). Just a lot of questions on how to do it.

Why spend $25+ on a pin removal tool that may break when you can spend $1.50 on 2000 staples and get the job done just as easy?

Why would you want to remove the pins on your ATX cables? You may want to make custom length cables or maybe you want to sleeve your power supply or maybe you screwed up and accidentally cut a lead to your PSU and need to repair it. Whatever. So here's how I do it.

Tools:
  • Common desk staples (not the "Heavy Duty" staples you'd use to secure roofing paper or wall insulation)
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Your fingers
  • A bit of patience

WORD OF CAUTION: Your PSU can hold a dangerous charge! To discharge your PSU unplug it from the wall outlet and then press the power button on your PC. You can also jump the green wire on your 24-pin motherboard connector to a black wire. Doing either will discharge the PSU. Ignore this step at you're own risk!

First take two sets of two staples and bend them into an "L" shape. Using the needle nosed pliers makes this a bit easier.

Step1.jpg

Next insert each pair of staples into either side of the pin housing. Be sure the staples are between the pin and the plastic housing.

Step2.jpg

Now push up on the wire while pushing down on the staples. You should feel a very slight "click" as the staples compress the tabs on the pin. You can also use the needle nose pliers to push in the staples if they don't go in by the force of your finger.

Step3.jpg

Now, while holding down on the staples, pull on the wire. It may take a bit more force than you expect and you can use the needle nose pliers to pull the wire if needed. The pin will pop free.

Step4.jpg

Slide the pin out and you're done!

Step5.jpg

Before you put the pin back in the housing lift the tabs back up a little (I use a razor blade but any small instrument will work).

()ut[@st 05-04-2011 02:14 AM

Nice work... I just use super-fine jewelers screwdrivers biggrin.gif

+ Rep for nice camera focus & information posterity thumb.gif

Churminess 05-08-2011 11:57 AM

Nice tut, +rep for no handed photography and an excellent tutorial.

Philistine 05-09-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churminess;13430526 
Nice tut, +rep for no handed photography and an excellent tutorial.

Thanks guys! It was pretty difficult to hold the camera in my mouth to take the pictures but it worked.

The Red Dojo 05-12-2011 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine;13448265 
Thanks guys! It was pretty difficult to hold the camera in my mouth to take the pictures but it worked.

laugher.gif

tpi2007 05-12-2011 01:19 PM

Useful info, thanks! Rep+

Philistine 06-24-2011 12:15 AM

Bumpity!

CTRLurself 08-08-2011 06:28 AM

Free bump for good info.

A little tip though: you can use a knife or flat blade screwdriver to consistently split off pairs of staples for this trick. And once you get good at it, this is MUCH faster and easier than using an pin removal tool.

XPD541 08-12-2011 11:17 PM

Never thought of that. Nicely done! +REP

wheee.gif

adamski07 10-13-2011 08:25 AM

Thanks for this tut.. +rep!