Well, I recently installed Windows 7 Professional, which is my first Windows experience in 4+ years, and I have to admit that I am impressed. IF it continues to perform as such, I am very impressed. I feel Microsoft did very well on this version. However, using Linux for so many years, I am very rusty on the "tricks".
1) What antivirus should I use? I noticed 7 has some sort of builtin AV. Is it good? How about Avast or AVG?
2) I installed CoreTemp..... awesome! What other utilities are worth looking at? I will install CPU Z when I get home tonight.
Please, share any tips and tricks, as well as any good reading materials for me.
I will admit, Windows 7 actually (surprisingly) has me excited.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
NOD32 for antivirus
AIDA64 for cpu-z/coretemp type stuff
antivirus is very personal preference. I use Super anti spyware and malwarebytes antimalware. personal licenses can be picked up cheap.
for your video card, evga precision, as well as gpuz might be of interest.
winrar is a must
chromeium(google chrome), vlc, OFFICE!, foxit pdf reader, aaaand steam
If you light light and eddicient, may I suggest sumatra PDF reader?
Firefox 4 is nice. Heavy, but nice.
Steam! Games are the only reason I use windows...
I use avast free antivirus. It's nice after you disable the default sound notifications.
you will probably want office too.
Either chrome or firefox.
I personally use Avast. 7-zip is a good tool to have. You should try out Waterfox. An OCN member compiled Firefox 4 to 64 bit and it's pretty quick. There's a link in my sig.
Edit: I second CCleaner heartily. Great program.
as stated av down to preference Microsoft offers Microsoft security essentials(MSE) i prefer that myself coupled with malwarebytes, beyond that i don't use much else cpu-z hwmonitor.
These all end up on my installs of windows.
- I use 7zip for archives
- Filezilla for SFTP client/server
- MSI Afterburner for GPU tweaks - CoreTemp/HWMonitor for temps - GPUZ/CPUZ specs
- Thunderbird for email / calendar
- Mediamonkey/Foobar for music (EAC/DBPoweramp for ripping/converting)
- Avast! or AVG or Avira for AV (currently using Avast)
- Notepad++ for editing, coding (VC express for IDE but I'm sure you have one if you need it)
- Foxit for PDF viewing in browser or local disk
- CCLeaner for temp cleanup, uninstall manger and more (great program)
- Eraser for secure file erasure
- TrueCrypt for local file encryption
- DVDdecrypter/Handbrake/DVDshrink - media archiving needs
- Firefox w adblock/noscript
:Use the search feature
:Shift clicking an icon on the taskbar opens a new window, even if one is already open
:Access the desktop by Windows+D or by the bar to the right of the clock
:Right clicking taskbar icons gives you context menus with recent files, etc
Actually, here is a huge list of command shortcuts. Some useful stuff.
Microsoft Security Essentials plus a little bit of common sense. Don't let anyone EVER try and convince you to pay for an AntiVirus. Its not worth it unless you're dense.
Microsoft Security Essentials for the anti-virus, stay well away from AVG
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.