Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Intel Motherboards (https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/)
-   -   [Official] ASUS ROG Rampage IV X79 Owner's Club (https://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1151946-official-asus-rog-rampage-iv-x79-owners-club.html)

HOMECINEMA-PC 07-20-2017 04:19 AM

That's actually a good point to bring up

thumb.gif

Str8Klownin 07-20-2017 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

Stuck at gen 2?

One thing to try is remove the cpu from the socket and make sure there is no bent pins or debris and that the cpu pad is clean.

i was praying it wasn't the socket but that would explain the weird things going on. I'll report back in a few. thanks tooshort

Str8Klownin 07-20-2017 06:54 AM

Pins seemed to look good (although my iphone pic makes some look a little wonky) and CPU was clean. Same result after reseating it. It hates restarting from the bios. It hangs on random debug codes like 16, 0C, 62,64,92,67. It seems to hang just before it would initialize the gpu.

62- Installation of the PCH Runtime Services
64- CPU DXE initialization is started
92- PCI Bus initialization is started <---seems to be a big one, but this one doesnt show every time
94- PCI Bus Enumeration

Again, these are just a few of the numbers i remember and only seem to occur when it restarts from the bios.

I know im not going to gain a ton of performance by getting it to x16 or gen 3, but i want to figure this out before i maybe sell this setup. Ill try different bios now.

HOMECINEMA-PC 07-20-2017 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Klownin View Post

Pins seemed to look good (although my iphone pic makes some look a little wonky) and CPU was clean. Same result after reseating it. It hates restarting from the bios. It hangs on random debug codes like 16, 0C, 62,64,92,67. It seems to hang just before it would initialize the gpu.

62- Installation of the PCH Runtime Services
64- CPU DXE initialization is started
92- PCI Bus initialization is started <---seems to be a big one, but this one doesnt show every time
94- PCI Bus Enumeration

Again, these are just a few of the numbers i remember and only seem to occur when it restarts from the bios.

I know im not going to gain a ton of performance by getting it to x16 or gen 3, but i want to figure this out before i maybe sell this setup. Ill try different bios now.

That socket to me looks a okay to me .

Good luck thumb.gif

yours_majesty 08-14-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamyk155 View Post

Ok guys - |I solve the problem !!! biggrin.gif

It was bios flashing problem - if you have problems with MEI code 10, or other hardware from mobo - code 10 do this:
- don't flash BIOS from windows using programs !!
- don't flash BIOS using build in bios flasher !!
- use only USB method - http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

The last one is "cleanest" method ! I flash my bios like that, then enter bios and copy bios 1 to bios 2.
After bios copying my computer turn on automatically and enter windows fast like hell - just like before problems !!
Then I see - internet connection icon - working !! But I want to see device menager - MEI working !!
I turn off computer to see what happend to my problem - lan and mei still working !!!!
thumb.gif

I'm having similar problem, I installed bios in USB bios flashback, did everything mentioned here and still getting the same problem.
If I restart the system LAN & MEI starts working however after shutting it down and turning it back on again takes more than a minute to boot up with LAN & MEI getting code 10.

Poliphilo 09-09-2017 02:21 PM

Hi guys.

I have a Rampage IV formula.

About audio I'm using the Realtek drivers together with the X-FI MB 3 utility (I buy it). Is there any chance to install and use Creative drivers instead of the Realtek ones? I read somewhere that I could do it, but I don't know how.

Thanks

Prophet4NO1 09-09-2017 05:20 PM

Never heard of such a thing. You usually need to run the drivers for the hardware. That is the point of drivers. If you have drivers for hardware that's not in the system, they won't do anything.

HOMECINEMA-PC 09-09-2017 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poliphilo View Post

Hi guys.

About audio I'm using the Realtek drivers together with the X-FI MB 3 utility (I buy it). Is there any chance to install and use Creative drivers instead of the Realtek ones? I read somewhere that I could do it, but I don't know how.

Thanks

On board sound chip is top class why would you do that to it ?

Poliphilo 09-10-2017 02:49 AM

Well, because I found a Thread on another forum where someone asked about some conflicts Realtek - X-FI codecs on the board and someone replied this:

"Don't use the Realtek drivers. Use the X-Fi drivers...You pay for superior audio, use it and find out for yourself. You may need to disable Realtek in your bios. I don't know anyone who would pay a premium for a MB such as yours to let that X-Fi chip go to waste...And the X-fi utilities are actually using the Supreme III chip. So Soundblaster X-Fi is more than just a Utility..."
and so....

And the Rampage IV formula audio integrated VS a Creative X-FI Platinum card X-FI PLATINUM Since I have one?....

HOMECINEMA-PC 09-10-2017 04:36 AM

Quote:

Well, because I found a Thread on another forum where someone asked about some conflicts Realtek - X-FI codecs on the board and someone replied this:

"Don't use the Realtek drivers. Use the X-Fi drivers...You pay for superior audio, use it and find out for yourself. You may need to disable Realtek in your bios. I don't know anyone who would pay a premium for a MB such as yours to let that X-Fi chip go to waste...And the X-fi utilities are actually using the Supreme III chip. So Soundblaster X-Fi is more than just a Utility..."
and so....

And the Rampage IV formula audio integrated VS a Creative X-FI Platinum card X-FI PLATINUM Since I have one?....

Okay , I owned a RIVF too but I never used headphones just the MOBO spidf into a HT amp redface.gif

More than adequate for Home Theater . But I needed the pcie slots for graphics from memory thinking.gif

chrisnyc75 09-12-2017 07:35 AM

Quote:

Hi guys.

Thanks

You can, but you have to use the drivers that are specifically cracked to hack Realtek branded hardware. It's a hassle.  Fwiw, it's a lot easier just to buy Creative X-Fi MB3.  The official MB3 software installs and works lickity-split.

*Edit:  oops, sorry, I misread what you asked.  Yes, you can use both a creative X-Fi card AND the onboard Realtek chip with X-Fi software, but the dual Creative software will freak your system out. MB3 won't work as intended because it conflicts with several of the X-Fi drivers.  Or, if you're asking can you layer the Creative X-Fi drivers (on the Realtek chip) with MB3 (also applied to the Realtek chip), no. There is no reason to, it won't give you any additional functionality and will probably break your audio.

Trust me, I've tried all of this and then some.  I'm kind of a pc audio geek. ;)

chrisnyc75 09-12-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet4NO1 View Post

Never heard of such a thing. You usually need to run the drivers for the hardware. That is the point of drivers. If you have drivers for hardware that's not in the system, they won't do anything.

It was found a long time ago that Creative X-Fi chips are just Realtek hardware with proprietary software.  If you have CERTAIN Realtek chips, you can install a specific Creative X-Fi driver package and get full X-Fi functionality.

alancsalt 10-03-2017 02:31 AM

I guess failing to respond to the "Start" button is not a good sign.

Prophet4NO1 10-07-2017 10:44 PM

Looks like my 4930K is getting a bit weak in the knees. Wont hold a 4.4Ghz clock when rendering vids anymore. Looking at getting a 1650v2 to replace it. What BIOS is version is needed to run a xeon in the board? Just looking to keep the rig rolling till I can get my threadripper build going.

MrTOOSHORT 10-07-2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Looks like my 4930K is getting a bit weak in the knees. Wont hold a 4.4Ghz clock when rendering vids anymore. Looking at getting a 1650v3 to replace it. What BIOS is version is needed to run a xeon in the board? Just looking to keep the rig rolling till I can get my threadripper build going.

1650 v2 you mean. V3 is x99, not x79.

Just update to latest bios.

Prophet4NO1 10-07-2017 10:51 PM

Yeah, it was a typo.I am on 4901 already. Just thought an older BIOS may play more nicely with the xeons. You have that sometimes.

MrTOOSHORT 10-07-2017 10:57 PM

Ya I thought so. But just incase you pulled the trigger on a 1650 v3 and though oh crap afterwards.

The latest bios is good for IB-E, earlier ones were good for SB-E.

mapesdhs 11-23-2017 12:34 PM

I bought a new R4E recently, but something went wrong today when trying to fit a 2nd fan to the CPU cooler (a short in the fan splitter cable or somesuch), smoke and a dead SMC near the DIMM slot closest to the debug LEDs. I reckon if I can replace the SMC the board should be ok, so does anyone have a faulty R4E they would be willing to donate? I would of course cover all shipping. I'm in the UK.

Btw...

Quote:

Looks like my 4930K is getting a bit weak in the knees. Wont hold a 4.4Ghz clock when rendering vids anymore. Looking at getting a 1650v2 to replace it. What BIOS is version is needed to run a xeon in the board? Just looking to keep the rig rolling till I can get my threadripper build going.

The 1650 v2 is often rather expensive. If rendering video is the key task, try getting hold of a 10-core 2680 v2 instead (all cores at 3.1GHz, and it's IB-EP so the PCIe is native 3.0). I bought several for 165 UKP each, upgraded a number of systems in place of 3930Ks. Lower single-threaded speed vs. an oc'd 1650 of course, but much better multi-threaded speed, faster than a 5GHz 3930K (the 2680 v2 scores 1386 for CB R15 and 15.46 for CB 11.5), assuming that is your video rendering app can scale to 10 cores effectively. See my results table (for Firefox, set Page Style to No Style from the View menu):

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/tests-jj.txt

A 1950X would be twice as fast though, definitely what I'd choose for a new build. 8)

Ian.

Prophet4NO1 11-23-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapesdhs View Post

I bought a new R4E recently, but something went wrong today when trying to fit a 2nd fan to the CPU cooler (a short in the fan splitter cable or somesuch), smoke and a dead SMC near the DIMM slot closest to the debug LEDs. I reckon if I can replace the SMC the board should be ok, so does anyone have a faulty R4E they would be willing to donate? I would of course cover all shipping. I'm in the UK.

Btw...
The 1650 v2 is often rather expensive. If rendering video is the key task, try getting hold of a 10-core 2680 v2 instead (all cores at 3.1GHz, and it's IB-EP so the PCIe is native 3.0). I bought several for 165 UKP each, upgraded a number of systems in place of 3930Ks. Lower single-threaded speed vs. an oc'd 1650 of course, but much better multi-threaded speed, faster than a 5GHz 3930K (the 2680 v2 scores 1386 for CB R15 and 15.46 for CB 11.5), assuming that is your video rendering app can scale to 10 cores effectively. See my results table (for Firefox, set Page Style to No Style from the View menu):

http://www.sgidepot.co.uk/misc/tests-jj.txt

A 1950X would be twice as fast though, definitely what I'd choose for a new build. 8)

Ian.

Been seeing the 1650v2 for around $120US. The 2680v2 around $200US. Since I plan to jump to threadripper pretty soon, no point in spending so much more for the 10 core.

mapesdhs 11-24-2017 02:53 AM

Prophet4NO1 writes:
> Been seeing the 1650v2 for around $120US. The 2680v2 around $200US. ...

Blimey, that's a much better 1650 v2 price than I was able to find in the UK. biggrin.gif

> Since I plan to jump to threadripper pretty soon, no point in spending so much more for the 10 core.

Yup! Btw, I think Newegg has the 1950X at 20% off for the Black Friday sales.

Ian.

alancsalt 12-29-2017 08:23 PM

Happy New Year! cheers.gif

MrTOOSHORT 12-29-2017 08:39 PM

Happy New Year Mr Salt and everyone!grouphug.gif

mapesdhs 12-30-2017 04:07 AM

Ditto and likewise! Hope you all had a great Christmas aswell! My brother bought me a Geiger Counter. 8-)

Ian.

JMCB 12-31-2017 11:10 PM

Still rocking this board. It's been a fun ride since 2012, and I've had zero reason to upgrade up until today. I've noticed that my memory has gone from 32GB to only 24GB. All of my DIMMS are being read in the bios and with AI Suite II, however windows is telling me only 24GBs. Any ideas?

HOMECINEMA-PC 01-01-2018 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCB View Post

Still rocking this board. It's been a fun ride since 2012, and I've had zero reason to upgrade up until today. I've noticed that my memory has gone from 32GB to only 24GB. All of my DIMMS are being read in the bios and with AI Suite II, however windows is telling me only 24GBs. Any ideas?

What does cpu-z say ?

Anyway try reseating all the sticks again smile.gif

And have a happy 2018 yessir.gif

JMCB 01-01-2018 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOMECINEMA-PC View Post

What does cpu-z say ?

Anyway try reseating all the sticks again smile.gif

And have a happy 2018 yessir.gif

Happy new year's to you too!!! (I've been starting 2018 wrong; been buying a bunch of goodies on Amazon. Whoops!)

CPU-Z is saying 32gb.

https://valid.x86.fr/gi7k9u

I'll try the reseating and see if that helps.

HOMECINEMA-PC 01-01-2018 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCB View Post

Happy new year's to you too!!! (I've been starting 2018 wrong; been buying a bunch of goodies on Amazon. Whoops!)

CPU-Z is saying 32gb.

https://valid.x86.fr/gi7k9u

I'll try the reseating and see if that helps.

Also what does your bios say ?

JMCB 01-01-2018 03:00 AM

Bios said 24gb. I reseated the memory. It partially worked, got back 4gb, so now I'm at 28gb. Will have to eventually replace the memory if I want to keep the system going for a longer run. It's a shame DDR3 is so expensive still.

mapesdhs 01-01-2018 03:33 AM

Try reseating the CPU aswell, make sure there are no bent pins, and the HS pressure isn't too high. I ran into this issue a few times, seems to be something that can be caused by various things, including a bad mbd aswell of course, though ASUS boards do seem to be prone to it more than most. Last time I had to deal with it was a 4930K I won on ebay which turned out to be some XEON ES thing, it couldn't see a third of the RAM. In the end I had to send it back for a refund. I had other boards and CPUs so I was able to rule out the RAM, mbd, etc. via testing with other parts.

If you search for these issues, you'll find lots of references to things like testing one DIMM at a time with memtest, which is probably a good idea, but even then it often doesn't help the overall issue. If you can though, check the RAM first in another system, one DIMM at a time, reseat the CPU, make sure the DIMM slots are clean, try a BIOS defaults setup, and so on.

Also note that some SB-E/IB-E CPUs may need more IMC voltage in order to cope with all the slots being populated.

Ian.

HOMECINEMA-PC 01-01-2018 04:19 AM

Ive had this happen before thinking its the ram but its the mobo .

So I ran my RIVE mobo for a week and blew the dust out of the suspect RIVBE .

Hooked it back up and populated all slots its been fine since wheee.gif

mapesdhs 01-01-2018 07:05 AM

Excellent! Glad to hear you got it fixed! This is one of those issues which can have a variety of causes, some a lot more frustrating than others.

Ian.

Antikythera 01-14-2018 03:39 PM

Just found out today that ASUS AI Suite 2 has not been updated to work with the Meltdown fix for Windows 10. AIS2 has been running fine on my Win 10 system until the latest update. ASUS have released a new version of AIS3 which I cannot install on my RIVE but works for my Haswell based system. The old version of AIS3 also stopped working after the Windows update.

Any suggestions from other X79 users would be appreciated. Especially for a way to monitor the temperature probe connectors of the motherboard to which I connect my water cooling loops sensors.

oscar7601 01-14-2018 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antikythera View Post

Just found out today that ASUS AI Suite 2 has not been updated to work with the Meltdown fix for Windows 10. AIS2 has been running fine on my Win 10 system until the latest update. ASUS have released a new version of AIS3 which I cannot install on my RIVE but works for my Haswell based system. The old version of AIS3 also stopped working after the Windows update.

Any suggestions from other X79 users would be appreciated. Especially for a way to monitor the temperature probe connectors of the motherboard to which I connect my water cooling loops sensors.

Same question for the same reasons here (RIVGene with temperature-driven PWM fan curves for the watercooling loop fans)

Antikythera 01-15-2018 02:57 PM

I made a post on the ASUS forums. A company representative replied to say eventually they aim to fix AIS2 but patches for more recent boards are a higher priority. I noticed at least one haswell board (H81M-K) has a BIOS update this week as well as the fix for AIS3.

WannaBeOCer 01-16-2018 09:34 PM

Modded the latest UEFI for all the Rampage IV boards with the latest Microcode along with NVMe driver. Make sure to download the appropriate bios/uefi for your board before flashing. Double check the file name before flashing.

Must be flashed using Flashback
http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1NV9QE-1SR7LtmxgGL-4N2v-_0EgREODS?usp=sharing

mapesdhs 01-17-2018 02:57 AM

Just curious, does it differ much from those available via the main modded thread here?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48001-R4E-BIOS-4804-MODDED-EFI-Intel-13-1-0-2126-Download

Ian.

Kimir 01-17-2018 03:35 AM

Quote:

Just curious, does it differ much from those available via the main modded thread here?

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?48001-R4E-BIOS-4804-MODDED-EFI-Intel-13-1-0-2126-Download

Ian.
Lastest microcode for fix of spectre/meldown and NVMe.
This Asus rog thread is hella outdated.

Thanks WannaBeOCer, I'll give that a try when I get the chance. thumb.gif

mapesdhs 01-17-2018 04:12 AM

The ROG thread mods do include NVMe. Re the microcode fixes, what exactly has been changed to deal with Meltdown? And Spectre is rather different, how has that been dealt with? What data on the performance implications of using these fixes?

Ian.

Kimir 01-17-2018 04:55 AM

The NVMe addition is indeed an old addition.
What have been changed in the Microcode, only Intel know, he just imputed it in the bios.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27431/Linux-Processor-Microcode-Data-File
I suppose one extract it from that file and put in the bios, but I've never messed with UEFI/Bios mod so I don't know.

WannaBeOCer 01-17-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Ian.

Just checked the differences, I have newer OROMs for the RST and Intel Lan along with the latest Microcode. There will be a performance hit when patching but I am currently unaware of each architecture. You can try it yourself and see if you notice a significant performance hit. You can always flash back to the Asus provided or ROG forum provided UEFI to get the old Microcode. thumb.gif

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/heres-how-and-why-the-spectre-and-meltdown-patches-will-hurt-performance/

alancsalt 01-17-2018 05:07 PM

Added to first post - Spectre Meltdown and NVMe Bios Fix

Let me know if you think it needs editing.

mapesdhs 01-17-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer View Post

Just checked the differences, ...

I think I'll leave the updates that includes these security fixes; my stuff is behind a hardware firewall, and most of the stuff I do is just on benchmarking systems, I'm not accessing risky sites, etc. Plus, the whole thing is still in flux, Windows patches have caused problems, and it's possible or likely that better patches will be released later, fixes with less of a performance hit. I already have the NVMe support, though these days I tend to opt for the 950 Pro since that has its own boot ROM anyway and thus doesn't need explicit NVMe support.

Good to have the option though! I expect most users don't have their own firewall.

Ian.

WannaBeOCer 01-18-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancsalt View Post

Added to first post - Spectre Meltdown and NVMe Bios Fix

Let me know if you think it needs editing.

Hi alancsalt thanks for adding it to the OP. Please add that this microcode only patches Ivy Bridge with microcode 42A. Intel still hasn't released a Sandy Bridge microcode. If they ever release it I will add it to the UEFIs I posted.

alancsalt 01-18-2018 05:18 PM

Done. thumb.gif

Jack Mac 02-01-2018 11:49 PM

Anybody have trouble updating their BIOS with a RIVE? I was only able to update to 1404 and I need a newer BIOS to support my 2697 V2 that comes in tomorrow. I'm on Windows 10 with a 3960X if that's any help. EZ flash works with .ROM bios but not .CAP and I've had no luck with USB flashback.

Edit: Finally found a copy of the CAP converter and was able to update. Dunno why ASUS doesn't have it on their website anymore. Really made this a lot more difficult than it should have been.

Beufesamiteur 02-02-2018 01:44 AM

Anybody knows if the ek-fb asus r4be is compatible with an rampage 4 extreme ? I'm lookng for an used one or new one to fit with an incoming 1680V2 :)

HOMECINEMA-PC 02-02-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mac (Post 26664889)
Anybody have trouble updating their BIOS with a RIVE? I was only able to update to 1404 and I need a newer BIOS to support my 2697 V2 that comes in tomorrow. I'm on Windows 10 with a 3960X if that's any help. EZ flash works with .ROM bios but not .CAP and I've had no luck with USB flashback.

Edit: Finally found a copy of the CAP converter and was able to update. Dunno why ASUS doesn't have it on their website anymore. Really made this a lot more difficult than it should have been.

Re format your usb ( fat32 ) and try again with your rig turned off and hold the link button until it starts to flash ;)

Jack Mac 02-02-2018 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOMECINEMA-PC (Post 26672113)
Re format your usb ( fat32 ) and try again with your rig turned off and hold the link button until it starts to flash ;)

I got it working, very happy with my 2697 V2. The issue was my RIVE still had a .ROM bios and trying to use USB flashback with a .CAP bios didn't work for me. I got it updated by finding someone who had a copy of the CAP converter and running the converter in EZ Flash and then updating to the latest BIOS using EZ Flash worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice though! 3.34GHz on 12 cores is awesome.

Jack Mac 02-03-2018 10:01 AM

Does anyone here have experience overclocking locked Xeons? I have an OC that I'm pretty happy with but wouldn't mind getting a tiny bit more if possible. Right now I'm running 111.5 BCLK with 30X multi which is 3.34GHz. I can boot into windows at 113.5 x 30 which gets me to 3.4GHz but I crash as soon as I load any benchmark/stress test. My OCD wants 3.4GHz but I can't seem to get it.

huzzug 02-03-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mac (Post 26676561)
Does anyone here have experience overclocking locked Xeons? I have an OC that I'm pretty happy with but wouldn't mind getting a tiny bit more if possible. Right now I'm running 111.5 BCLK with 30X multi which is 3.34GHz. I can boot into windows at 113.5 x 30 which gets me to 3.4GHz but I crash as soon as I load any benchmark/stress test. My OCD wants 3.4GHz but I can't seem to get it.

Did you try thus thread https://www.overclock.net/forum/8-int...eyond-x58.html

Jack Mac 02-04-2018 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huzzug (Post 26680905)

I didn't, I thought it was just for 16XX Xeons, I will give it a look though, thank you.

Breit 03-17-2018 07:12 AM

Has anyone tried modding the 4901 BIOS with the latest Sandy Bridge E microcode updates regarding Spectre/Meltdown Intel has just released? There is a guy in the ROG forums posting a BIOS, but I'm not sure if it's legit.

Link to the ROG forums: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ode-patch-here!

WannaBeOCer 04-17-2018 08:12 PM

I updated my Google drive unified extensible firmware interfaces with the latest microcode patches which are 42C for Ivy Bridge-E, 713 for Sandy Bridge E. Updated Intel Lan oROM, still has the same NVMe support. Just want to remind you guys that the R4BE community is more important than you guys are that is why it took long to update these.

Edit: Best way to check would be entering the UEFI and navigating to Advanced>CPU Configuration

Make sure the Microcode Patch is "42C" for Ivy Bridge-E
Make sure the Microcode Patch is "713" for Sandy Bridge-E

Kimir 04-18-2018 01:53 AM

Thank you very much! :thumb:
I'd give you a +rep, but it's still not available, sigh.

KingT 08-06-2018 12:52 PM

Hi guys,

I am on stock BIOS 5001 for RIVF, are there any modded bios versions that are better for me to use?

My OC is 4930K @4.375GHz (125MHz BCLK), 1.32V LOAD, RAM @ 2333 CL 10 12 12 31.

CHEERS..

Breit 08-06-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingT (Post 27564390)
Hi guys,

I am on stock BIOS 5001 for RIVF, are there any modded bios versions that are better for me to use?

My OC is 4930K @4.375GHz (125MHz BCLK), 1.32V LOAD, RAM @ 2333 CL 10 12 12 31.

CHEERS..

BIOS ver. 5001? Where does that come from? You are sure this is for the RIVE?

mapesdhs 08-06-2018 05:07 PM

KingT said it was for the Formula, which is covered by this thread, and from the ASUS site the latest BIOS is indeed 5001.

KingT, the only thing that a modded BIOS might be useful for is to support native booting from NVMe devices. Unless that's something you want to do, you're better off sticking with 5001. See the ROG modded BIOS thread if you're interested though, and if the main guy hasn't added one yet for the Formula, just ask (read the first post for contact info).

Ian.

KingT 08-07-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer (Post 26552447)
Modded the latest UEFI for all the Rampage IV boards with the latest Microcode along with NVMe driver. Make sure to download the appropriate bios/uefi for your board before flashing. Double check the file name before flashing.

Must be flashed using Flashback
http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/usb_bios_flashback_guide/

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...DS?usp=sharing

Thank you WBO, I have updated my Rampage 4 Formula with your modded version, used bios flashback for the 1st time in my life :)
It took a good 5 minutes but eventually BIOS LED stopped flashing :)

In

@ Ian

Thank you too.

EDIT:

In Advanced>CPU Configuration mys microcode says 416, dunno if that's correct, but I am sure that BIOSFlashBack went trough all the way, and I had your r4f.cap BIOS in root folder on USB FAT32 formatted.

CHEERS..

mapesdhs 08-07-2018 12:34 PM

Well done! So KingT, are you going to replace your C-drive with a 970 Pro or something? 8)

Ian.

KingT 08-07-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapesdhs (Post 27565748)
Well done! So KingT, are you going to replace your C-drive with a 970 Pro or something? 8)

Ian.

I have one in sight on my local forum site. :)

Also I needed to reformat my USB drive to FAT32 (even though it has been already), since it was old (like 9 y old), and with a lot of other stuff for flashing ATI and nVidia cards etc.

So with a clean FAT32 format, and just R4F.CAP BIOS file i reflashed it again, this time I got an updated microcode showing up in the BIOS.

On a downfall, I forgot to save my OC and other settings on a USB so after a BIOS flash all setings were lost, so I spent a good 30 minutes setting up the BIOS again ;D

CHEERS..

WannaBeOCer 08-08-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingT (Post 27565626)
Thank you WBO, I have updated my Rampage 4 Formula with your modded version, used bios flashback for the 1st time in my life :)
It took a good 5 minutes but eventually BIOS LED stopped flashing :)

In

@ Ian

Thank you too.

EDIT:

In Advanced>CPU Configuration mys microcode says 416, dunno if that's correct, but I am sure that BIOSFlashBack went trough all the way, and I had your r4f.cap BIOS in root folder on USB FAT32 formatted.

CHEERS..

Ivy-Bridge-E should show a 42C and Sandy-Bridge-E should show 713. A new microcode was released mid July "42D/714", I'll try to update them some time this week. I already upgraded the R4BE.

KingT 08-17-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer (Post 27567128)
Ivy-Bridge-E should show a 42C and Sandy-Bridge-E should show 713. A new microcode was released mid July "42D/714", I'll try to update them some time this week. I already upgraded the R4BE.

Yeah , 1st flash was not successful but after USB format and 2nd flash I have 42C as microcode patch listed in BIOS.

I think that my OC just got a bit better as for 4.25GHz (125MHz BLK) my CPU requires 1.26V load, which is a bit lower than with stock BIOS.

CHEERS.

DukeRaoul2010 12-18-2018 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaBeOCer (Post 27567128)

Any chance you could still do this? i'd love to update my formula bios one last time...if not any chance you could let me know how to do it myself - just a link to a how to - i don't know if there's anything on win-raid about it... i've been using bolts4breakfasts bios from the ASUS republic of gamers forum but he's gone a bit quiet recently... and i know there's the microcode and nvme updates and other things that could still be added

Thanks

Dave

Ice009 12-27-2018 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeRaoul2010 (Post 27765042)
Any chance you could still do this? i'd love to update my formula bios one last time...if not any chance you could let me know how to do it myself - just a link to a how to - i don't know if there's anything on win-raid about it... i've been using bolts4breakfasts bios from the ASUS republic of gamers forum but he's gone a bit quiet recently... and i know there's the microcode and nvme updates and other things that could still be added

Thanks

Dave

I'd also be very interested in an update for the Rampage 4 Formula. Have all the other modules in the R4F 5001 BIOS been updated in the previous version you posted, WannaBeOCer?

Also, I wanted to ask a question about the microcode updates - I've got a modded BIOS that I got from the ROG forums that BOLTS4BREKFAST made earlier this year and I never installed it due to not having an NVMe drive, yet. I'm looking to buy one before the end of this month as Samsung currently has a cashback offer that ends December 31st. Anyway, I wanted to ask, how much of a performance impact do the microcode updates have? I was trying to find a modded NVMe BIOS that has all the modules updated for the R4F + NVMe, but without the CPU microcode updates as I thought that it might affect the performance of my 3930K too much. What do you guys think? Should I not be worried about performance decreases with the updated microcode?

Breit 12-27-2018 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice009 (Post 27777254)
I'd also be very interested in an update for the Rampage 4 Formula. Have all the other modules in the R4F 5001 BIOS been updated in the previous version you posted, WannaBeOCer?

Also, I wanted to ask a question about the microcode updates - I've got a modded BIOS that I got from the ROG forums that BOLTS4BREKFAST made earlier this year and I never installed it due to not having an NVMe drive, yet. I'm looking to buy one before the end of this month as Samsung currently has a cashback offer that ends December 31st. Anyway, I wanted to ask, how much of a performance impact do the microcode updates have? I was trying to find a modded NVMe BIOS that has all the modules updated for the R4F + NVMe, but without the CPU microcode updates as I thought that it might affect the performance of my 3930K too much. What do you guys think? Should I not be worried about performance decreases with the updated microcode?

At least Windows 10 also applies the microcode updates anyways. I would say as long as you use Windows 10, you gain nothing for leaving the microcode updates out of your BIOS. For Windows 7, I'm not sure if it also applies the updates. It's too old and I haven't used it for years.

Ice009 12-27-2018 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breit (Post 27777258)
At least Windows 10 also applies the microcode updates anyways. I would say as long as you use Windows 10, you gain nothing for leaving the microcode updates out of your BIOS. For Windows 7, I'm not sure if it also applies the updates. It's too old and I haven't used it for years.

I thought I read you could disable it in Windows with certain software?

VytasBCN 03-07-2019 05:15 AM

Vytasbcn

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShoehornHands (Post 22736781)
Does anybody know if the Rampage IV boards work with a Xeon E5 processor and if it does, would ECC memory be fully functional?

There's quite a bit of conflicting information on this so I figured maybe somebody here has some first hand experience.

It does work perfectly well. Not all the ECC modules, depending on ranks. 2RX8 works on X58, X79 and probably some others. 2RX4 does not work (or at least those specific 16Gb modules did not want to boot at 1333MHz that is default here).

I have 6x8Gb of ECC working in rampage II extreme at 1771 MHz 9-9-9-24-1 and it is LRDIMM on top. works really well at 1.65V.

I have 8x8Gb of same Ramaxel (micron chips are better than elpida in my opinion) ECC memory on Rampage IV Black Edition.

I have the screen too if needed.

VytasBCN 03-07-2019 05:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Does anybody know if the Rampage IV boards work with a Xeon E5 processor and if it does, would ECC memory be fully functional?

There's quite a bit of conflicting information on this so I figured maybe somebody here has some first hand experience.

Quote:

It does work perfectly well. Not all the ECC modules, depending on ranks. 2RX8 works on X58, X79 and probably some others. 2RX4 does not work (or at least those specific 16Gb modules did not want to boot at 1333MHz that is default here).

I have 6x8Gb of ECC working in rampage II extreme at 1771 MHz 9-9-9-24-1 and it is LRDIMM on top. works really well at 1.65V.

I have 8x8Gb of same Ramaxel (micron chips are better than elpida in my opinion) ECC memory on Rampage IV Black Edition.

I have the screen too if needed.

whoeva 05-09-2019 12:02 PM

Hello everyone. I have rampage IV extreme with i7-3960X cpu, trying to boot windows 10 on a Samsung 970 EVO Plus which I've installed in a pcie adapter card.

I've followed the guides, have all bios settings correct and have tried 3 different modded bios files including the one in this thread but I still cannot see my drive in bios to be able to boot from it.

Used BIOS flashback to update to 4901 modded bios with nvme support

Windows UEFI installation created on rufus for GPT.
Drive formatted as GPT
Secure boot on
Fast boot off
Sata mode AHCI

Boot modes set to UEFI

Installed windows 10 to the drive but since I cannot see it within the bios I cannot boot to it to continue the installation.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this please?

AllGamer 05-09-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoeva (Post 27961284)
Hello everyone. I have rampage IV extreme with i7-3960X cpu, trying to boot windows 10 on Samsung 970 EVO Plus. I've followed the guides, have all bios settings correct and have tried 3 different modded bios files including the one in this thread but I still cannot see my drive in bios to be able to boot from it.

Used BIOS flashback to update to 4901 modded bios with nvme support

Windows UEFI installation created on rufus for GPT.
Drive formatted as GPT
Secure boot on
Fast boot off
Sata mode AHCI

Boot modes set to UEFI

Installed windows 10 to the drive but since I cannot see it within the bios I cannot boot to it to continue the installation.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this please?

I'd suggest using Legacy boot mode.

I'm running Win10 on it with Legacy boot, never like the UEFI mode, a lot of devices doesn't play well with UEFI.

whoeva 05-09-2019 01:12 PM

Thank you for your suggestion AllGamer. I tried it but I still have the same problem. I cannot see the drive in bios and therefore cannot boot from it.

AllGamer 05-09-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoeva (Post 27961348)
Thank you for your suggestion AllGamer. I tried it but I still have the same problem. I cannot see the drive in bios and therefore cannot boot from it.

Did you make sure the SATA cable is connected, and the SATA power cable is connected in both side?

whoeva 05-09-2019 01:56 PM

I am using it in a pcie adapter card. Sorry, I should have said that in the first post. I've updated that now.

The drive is working fine, I just cannot see it in the bios.

whoeva 05-10-2019 06:58 AM

I fixed the problem. It appeared that I hadn't correctly flashed the bios. I tried using a different USB stick and it worked.

If anyone else has issues then try using a different USB stick to flash the BIOS.

deanorthk 05-13-2019 01:44 AM

Got my Xeon 2670 on hand,and 4 sticks of ECC DDR3 ;) I will receive my corsair Obsidian 1000D in 10 days, and install evrerything then.

Now I do ask myself, should I try to sell my 4960X or not... Anyone know how much they sell nowdays?

whoeva 05-13-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanorthk (Post 27964842)
Got my Xeon 2670 on hand,and 4 sticks of ECC DDR3 ;) I will receive my corsair Obsidian 1000D in 10 days, and install evrerything then.

Now I do ask myself, should I try to sell my 4960X or not... Anyone know how much they sell nowdays?

Have fun installing your new system :)

You can look on ebay to see prices for sold items. I'm seeing $200-$300+ sales for your old cpu.

deafboy 05-13-2019 01:03 PM

That seems like a bit of a downgrade going from a 4960x to a 2670....

WannaBeOCer 05-13-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoeva (Post 27962142)
I fixed the problem. It appeared that I hadn't correctly flashed the bios. I tried using a different USB stick and it worked.

If anyone else has issues then try using a different USB stick to flash the BIOS.

Glad you were able to resolve your issue, sorry I didn't see it sooner. If you have this issue again use this tool to wipe your flash drive.

https://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF...l-Format-Tool/

Other users: to save yourself from troubleshooting check the Microcode version in the bios to see if you successfully flashed the modified bios I provided.

deanorthk 05-14-2019 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafboy (Post 27965456)
That seems like a bit of a downgrade going from a 4960x to a 2670....

if this was to stay my gaming rig, yes, definitely, you are right. But I intend to do something a bit different, where core number matters. There's no way I'll turn the RIVBE off:) I will install a dual system in my soon to come Obsidian 1000D, and my gaming rig will move to mini itx with a 6700K.

deafboy 05-14-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanorthk (Post 27966072)
if this was to stay my gaming rig, yes, definitely, you are right. But I intend to do something a bit different, where core number matters. There's no way I'll turn the RIVBE off:) I will install a dual system in my soon to come Obsidian 1000D, and my gaming rig will move to mini itx with a 6700K.

Out of curiosity what will you be doing? I have a couple 2670s and I mostly have them just because they were dirt cheap, lol.

iandroo888 05-30-2019 12:38 PM

have u guys have a ridiculous load time? like along the lines of minutes up to like 15-30 minutes? Had recent issues with the cables to my SSDs (storage) which i had turned off computer to replace. But restarting it took FOREVER....

Ice009 10-07-2019 05:16 AM

Hey guys, I bought an e5-1680V2 a week or two ago to get some more life out of my X79 R4Forumla and it should be here within the next couple of days. I was trying to decide what modded BIOS I should install. I wanted to install the latest version (5001 for the RF4) with NVMe support, but I am holding off because most of the modded BIOSes I've found/downloaded so far have the CPU microcode updates. Should I just go ahead and install it anyway? Is the performance hit a lot, or is it not worth the worry?

Also, if using a program like Inspectre, it seems you can disable the protection in Windows, but I was wondering if your MB's BIOS has the microcode update, will that still affect the performance of the system even if it's disabled within Windows?

Prophet4NO1 10-07-2019 08:52 AM

Seems my 4930K is burning out. She was always a poor OC chip voltage wise, so it has had nearly 1.5v pumping through it since I got it in 2013/2014. Whenever it came out. Gets random system lockups with nothing in windows or linux logs. Swapped PSU, still happening. So, figure I have burned the CPU finally. So, looking to replace it to limp by till I pull the trigger on a threadripper build.

The question is, would a 1660v2 be worth the extra $ over a 1650v2? I know the base clock is only a bit higher. Think the cache was a little larger too. But, will the 1660v2 OC better? If they are about the same I will avoid the China shipping and just get a 1650v2. Thoughts. Leaning more 1650v2 at the moment.

MrTOOSHORT 10-07-2019 11:12 AM

1650v2, 1660v2 not worth it.

1680v2 or 1650v2.

Ice009 10-08-2019 07:30 PM

Do you guys think I should avoid using a modded BIOS with the CPU microcode updates? Is the performance hit incurred too much?

Prophet4NO1 10-09-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT (Post 28151672)
1650v2, 1660v2 not worth it.

1680v2 or 1650v2.

That is what I figured. Not sure I want to monkey with the 1680v2. More than I want to spend to just limp along for a few months.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice009 (Post 28153146)
Do you guys think I should avoid using a modded BIOS with the CPU microcode updates? Is the performance hit incurred too much?

Generally speaking, the microcode only really has any negative effects on specific enterprise workloads. Generally, not the stuff home users need to worry about. You can play it safe, or just test it and see what happens. It's not a big deal if you need to roll back.

Scorpion667 10-11-2019 08:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm quite impressed that my 8 year old setup is holding up. I ran it with C states disabled and no side panel for years.

3930k 4.7 @ 1.39v
samsung low profile wonder ram 2133 cl9 @ 1.55v // 1.175v vtt and vccsa
RIVE

Had two major issues with the motherboard which were resolved by accident when reseating CPU (to lap it):
-irog2 is updating loop
-one of the memory sticks not recognizing

What's the best BIOS for SB-E again? I went back 50x pages or so as the search is terribly broken and the consensus appears to be 4102/4206?

deafboy 10-11-2019 12:28 PM

Depends what you mean by best I suppose.... best performing or best with all the fixes and features?

Scorpion667 10-11-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafboy (Post 28156196)
Depends what you mean by best I suppose.... best performing or best with all the fixes and features?

Best for overclocking. For example I downgraded from 4503 to 4206 this morning and was able to lower vcore from 1.39 to 1.38. Prime running for 5 hours so far (still in progress, will probably stop it at 8 hours as all I do is game on this box).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

deafboy 10-11-2019 05:15 PM

4206 was the best one I remember using for shear clocks when I had my 3930k in....

But to me the loss of the other stability and features wasn't worth the sub 100MHz I lost.

Scorpion667 10-11-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafboy (Post 28156622)
4206 was the best one I remember using for shear clocks when I had my 3930k in....

But to me the loss of the other stability and features wasn't worth the sub 100MHz I lost.

Noted, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Prophet4NO1 10-12-2019 05:48 PM

found a 1650v2 for $70 on ebay. Should get it in a week or so.

omarfarukbalta 11-16-2019 07:22 AM

rampage iv extreme bios mod

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoeva (Post 27962142)

can you give me a link to the mod you use.

alancsalt 01-31-2020 09:08 PM

I have two of these mobos. Noting that one was frequently "not responding" and taking its time accessing hard drives, investigated. Noticed that only one stick of ram was showing in Task Manager. The other stick could be seen in bios, Aida and CPUZ. Tried swapping in other ram, same. Only bank 1 was recognised by Windows 10. Did an in place reinstall, same. Looked at the other Rampage IV pc. Same issue.

All sticks work in bank 1. Second bank doesn't show in Windows 10.

The only two other things I can think of are bent pins or too much heatsink downforce? Unfortunately my eyes are no longer "sharp", in terms of trying to pick a bent pin....

Putting an 8GB stick in instead of 4GB does seem to have helped, but won't be sure if it really has till more time has elapsed, and it hasn't hung, not responded or lagged...

Are there any other probable causes or cures?

Scorpion667 02-06-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alancsalt (Post 28311370)
I have two of these mobos. Noting that one was frequently "not responding" and taking its time accessing hard drives, investigated. Noticed that only one stick of ram was showing in Task Manager. The other stick could be seen in bios, Aida and CPUZ. Tried swapping in other ram, same. Only bank 1 was recognised by Windows 10. Did an in place reinstall, same. Looked at the other Rampage IV pc. Same issue.

All sticks work in bank 1. Second bank doesn't show in Windows 10.

The only two other things I can think of are bent pins or too much heatsink downforce? Unfortunately my eyes are no longer "sharp", in terms of trying to pick a bent pin....

Putting an 8GB stick in instead of 4GB does seem to have helped, but won't be sure if it really has till more time has elapsed, and it hasn't hung, not responded or lagged...

Are there any other probable causes or cures?

I had a RAM stick fail to detect in BIOS and Windows after running the system for 7 years. My solution below is quite dubious but it worked and I've been up and running for almost a year with a heavy memory OC using the same board and sticks I built the system with in early 2012.

-Taking out each stick and booting to find the problematic bank/stick - for me it was D1 (second right red slot closest to CPU)
-Reseating ram stick (no dice)
-Cleaning RAM stick contacts with 99% iso alcohol and cotton swab and compressed air in slot (no dice)
-Taking the "bad" stick and seating it in a known working slot (detected)
-Taking another good stick and seating it in the "bad" slot (no dice)
-Reseating CPU (no dice)
-Rotating yet another ram stick from a good slot in the "bad" slot. First try no dice, second try worked. All 4 sticks detected and working fine for almost a year with heavy memory OC.