Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   SSD (https://www.overclock.net/forum/355-ssd/)
-   -   [Official] Samsung SSD750/830/840/850/860 Owners Club (https://www.overclock.net/forum/355-ssd/1190026-official-samsung-ssd750-830-840-850-860-owners-club.html)

Chunky_Chimp 12-25-2011 06:19 PM

[Official] Samsung SSD750/830/840/850/860 Owners Club

I got mine (128GB 830) for Christmas 2011 and MAN have I missed having an SSD in general, this drive is every bit as fast as I wanted it to be and then some. http://files.overclock.net/images/smilies/biggrin.gif My old one was a G.Skill Falcon 64GB, a "clone" of the original OCZ Vertex, so to speak, and after taking one too many power brownouts it eventually kicked the bucket. Until now I was using a 250GB Seagate 7200.12 which was adequate but nowhere near what either SSD did/does for me. I also got a 700w UPS shortly after that drive's death to keep this from happening again.

Unlike my first club I won't build my own review into this as there are a lot more subjective traits to storage than objective, especially concerning performance; it's not as though I can do a better job than the dedicated review sites either, anyway. I also won't be benching my drive unless I see wild fluctuations between users of the same capacity drive, however if you wish I will link to each post in here made with benchmarks. I will, however, give my input (circa 2011) about the 830 as follows; it's the PERFECT alternative to the oversaturation of Marvell and Sandforce drives on the market, it does a very good job competing with them on a price/performance ratio standpoint (even if 4k random performance isn't as impressive). Not only that, but it does so with a reliability track record only matched/beaten by Intel. An important note is Samsung's SSD Magician software, which comes with their SSDs, and allows a lot of control over the drive, including how much space is overprovisioned.

All that said, I will direct new users of SSDs that are a bit lost on the requirements/procedures of use to Sean Webster's installation/optimization guide here. Make sure you read all of it thoroughly as many steps detailed for optimization are optional, some only need to be done if you wish to squeeze out the maximum usable space of the drive. For my personal install there was very little of it I decided to follow, but that was only my preference. Know what you want and need out of the drive and configure it accordingly; one person's setup may not be preferred by another.

Please post or PM me if you wish to be added. That's the best way for me to know as I DO check this thread at least a few times per week. Thanks!

Official site

Signature example (voluntary, not required for new or old members):

840/840 EVO (to be added later)/840 Pro reviews - 840 Pro:
Spoiler!

840 non-Pro:
Spoiler!

830 Reviews
Spoiler!

850 Pro specs
Spoiler!

840/840 EVO/840 Pro specs
Spoiler!

830 specs
Spoiler!

840/840 EVO/840 Pro known bugs
Spoiler!

830 known bug(s)
Spoiler!

850 EVO/Pro Owners List
Spoiler!

840/840 EVO/840 Pro Owners List
Spoiler!

830 Owners List
Spoiler!

820 Pro/EVO Owners List
Spoiler!

750 EVO Owners List
Spoiler!

jdmfish 12-27-2011 06:17 AM

Picked up my 64GB model for $94.99 on Black Friday. Love this drive!

Here's a quick benchmark:

I've heard performance can increase slightly, after I'm done installing all the files I need and such for this computer, since I've been doing quite a bit of "writing" on the drive, and I believe TRIM is starting to catch up and refresh the drive.

And, I also have a question for 830 owners here:

https://www.overclock.net/t/1187961/samsung-ssd-magician#post_15999107

Just wondering if anyone uses the Samsung "Magician" software, if so, does anyone use the "Performance Optimization" function within the software, which I believe is supposed to be a TRIM-like software..??

EDITED SS - forgot why the results aren't in English..

Chunky_Chimp 12-27-2011 01:35 PM

Added. thumb.gif I haven't installed the Magician software yet, but I think the optimization function in there is to enable/disable some stuff in Windows. Needs clarification, of course, if anyone else has used it.

Sean Webster 12-27-2011 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post

Added. thumb.gif I haven't installed the Magician software yet, but I think the optimization function in there is to enable/disable some stuff in Windows. Needs clarification, of course, if anyone else has used it.

I think it just runs TRIM and/or Garbage Collection from what I have found. I can't find anything else besides that. frown.gif

Chunky_Chimp 12-27-2011 05:53 PM

So it's sort of a manual trigger for functions that otherwise are autonomous? Not sure what the point of that is, then... unless that's not right.

valtopps 12-27-2011 06:28 PM

i still dont know if its plug into a marvell port or intel? i also tried the samsung software the Performance Optimization. it said it helped it a little?
i was in the market for a 128gb ssd but i came across this for $95 with batman i had to buy it im glad i did. one thing i notice was my c300 booted into windows faster but overall this is a faster ssd.

Chunky_Chimp 12-27-2011 06:40 PM

All internal SATA ports on your motherboard are Intel, only the 2 eSATA ports are Marvell. Got ya added. smile.gif

Sean Webster 12-27-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post

So it's sort of a manual trigger for functions that otherwise are autonomous? Not sure what the point of that is, then... unless that's not right.

Yea, but it usually takes Garbage collection a while to actually work automatically. So the tool helps a lot after a bunch writes are put on the drive and you "need" the performance right away. Also, from what DuckieHo said is that sometimes "GC can get into a "stuck" phase where it takes a long time (or never) is able to clean the drive. This has happened to drives in the last year."

Quote:
i still dont know if its plug into a marvell port or intel? i also tried the samsung software the Performance Optimization. it said it helped it a little?
i was in the market for a 128gb ssd but i came across this for $95 with batman i had to buy it im glad i did.

It is in the Intel. Also install this for a speed improvement: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20624&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng
Quote:
one thing i notice was my c300 booted into windows faster but overall this is a faster ssd.
That is b/c the C300 has faster 4K reads.

jdmfish 01-03-2012 10:39 AM

^

No one else, huh? redface.gif

Blue_Flame5 01-03-2012 04:33 PM

Going to join this club mine gets here tomorrow! 128GB version!