Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Overclock.net HWBot Team (https://www.overclock.net/forum/282-overclock-net-hwbot-team/)
-   -   My Old School AGP Bench Summary Thread (https://www.overclock.net/forum/282-overclock-net-hwbot-team/1226944-my-old-school-agp-bench-summary-thread.html)

Artikbot 03-09-2012 03:14 PM

Hi guys!

I thought I'd create a thread where I can keep all my AGP card scores instead of spreading them along several threads, and also use it to ask any doubts I may come across in my AGP trips smile.gif

So, as some of you might know I recently ordered a 4COREDUAL-SATA2 R2.0 motherboard, which arrived yesterday.

This is the ghetto bench I rigged:

7-2-2013 Update:

I rebuilt both waterblocks, the CPU one because it broke down, the GPU one because it's going to house a 40mm TEC! wheee.gif

As it sits now:

Right now it boasts this hardware:

]CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @3.a lot GHz.
Board: AsRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0
RAM: 2x1GB Kingston Value DDR2-667 CL4
GPUs: Several AGP cards.
HDD: 7200.10 160GB

And in the cooling department:

Pump: Home-refurbished Hydor L20 (broken impeller, repaired and put to use again)
Rad: Motorbike salvaged copper 200mm radiator
CPU block: Burnt Antec 620 copper baseplate with a rigged top for G1/4 barbs
GPU block: Homemade single piece copper waterblock w/ 150W 40mm TEC at full blast
Fans: 2x Ultra Kazes 3K
Old hardware (Click to show)
CPU: Intel Core2Duo E6400 @2.34GHz (295MHz bus)
Board: AsRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0
RAM: 2x1GB Kingston Value DDR2-667 CL4
GPUs: Several AGP cards, including a Radeon 7000 DDR, a Riva TNT2 M64, a FX6200 256MB DDR2...
HDD: 7200.10 160GB

And in the cooling department:

Pump: Home-refurbished Hydor L20 (broken impeller, repaired and put to use again)
Rad: Motorbike salvaged copper 200mm radiator
CPU block: Lower half of a 775 cooler copper core, modded and enclosed.
GPU block: Upper half of said copper core.
Fans: 2x Ultra Kazes 3K for serious benching, a Thunderblade in pull for lowly testing.

Mods list:

Scores list:

3DMark2001

DUpgrade 03-09-2012 06:33 PM

Looks like a fun project and my old rig still used AGP buy the choices got very limited. It's funny seeing a water block on an AGP card too as most of them only had heatsinks and rarely a fan. Curious what your results will be.

kabj06 03-09-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUpgrade View Post

Looks like a fun project and my old rig still used AGP buy the choices got very limited. It's funny seeing a water block on an AGP card too as most of them only had heatsinks and rarely a fan. Curious what your results will be.

My Radeon 9800 Pro would artifact like mad during light web browsing with its stock heatsink and fan. I had to buy a dual slot heatsink to remedy the problem. For overclocking a waterblock would not be a bad idea.

Rasparthe 03-09-2012 08:00 PM

The reason that the Bartons are beating your chip doesn't have anything to do with the speed of your chip. Getting another chip isn't going to improve your score any. The TNT card is limited by the GPU itself, it isn't taking advantage of even the Bartons chip, your better Conroe chip won't improve it any. Those benches have everything to do with how well you overclock the GPU and tweaks and drivers. The CPU is almost irrelevant until you get into the more modern AGPs.

Artikbot 03-10-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post

The reason that the Bartons are beating your chip doesn't have anything to do with the speed of your chip. Getting another chip isn't going to improve your score any. The TNT card is limited by the GPU itself, it isn't taking advantage of even the Bartons chip, your better Conroe chip won't improve it any. Those benches have everything to do with how well you overclock the GPU and tweaks and drivers. The CPU is almost irrelevant until you get into the more modern AGPs.

But... Does that 20 extra MHz on the memory really mean 500 points over a 1500 point total?

That's what bothers me.

On the Radeon 7000, there's people shooting at 4000 3DMarks while I struggle to reach 2000! And they're running at slower GPU clocks than I do eek.gif

Updated DirectX and got a 200 point bonus in 3DMark01, I'm currently upgrading framework, searching for possible patches, or whatever I can to boost this, because something seems really odd!

Anyway, will run a series of benches on the Radeon 7000 (the most fun to run of all the cards I've got thumb.gif) and post them, to use them as a reference for when I optimize the thing biggrin.gif

Rasparthe 03-10-2012 06:41 AM

Are you using a very stripped down OS? 3DMark01 doesn't need Framework at all, and there are some good tweaked drivers around, Omega comes to mind. Get the OS stripped down to a bare minimum and try out some different drivers and don't forget there are a number of guides on how to get the most out of 2001 around, (which order to run the benches, etc). Have a look at those. I have a 7000 around here somewhere maybe I'll give it a spin and see how it goes.

Artikbot 03-10-2012 06:53 AM

Yeah, I stripped it to bare minimums. Among things I left, Internet Explorer and .NET framework, .NET for the Driver Sweeper, which I constantly use to wipe drivers.

The XP SP2 home CD ended up weighing at 300MB tongue.gif

Maybe I could've stripped more, but I didn't touch where I didn't know.

On the 7000 I'm using Omegas based on Catalyst 6.11, the ones that give the best performance so far.

I've found that my card has a *terrible* clocking memory, topping at 209MHz with stock volts. I can run 216MHz with artifacts all the way, boosting results by 180 3DMarks. If scaling is linear, at 240MHz I should get around 800 3DMarks more, which is very respectable, but I'd still be running a good 1k points below top performers.

The core on the other hand does very good, clocking at 320MHz.

Right now I'm with the TNT2 M64, fiddling with settings and so. At 180/180 I top at 1.5K marks with Forceware 71.92 (older releases give worse performance).

Edit: Changing the order to CH-LH-DH-LL-DL-CL yielded exactly the same performance. wth.gif Uploading screenshot in a second.

There we go. Sorry for being this late frown.gif

I've managed to run memory up to 186MHz, with an additional fan blowing at the back of the card.

By the way, I run LOD at +3. It boosts scores at around 100 points over LOD at 0.

Artikbot 03-10-2012 04:33 PM

Yooohooo!! Hittin' it hard with the FX6200!

Without any voltmod and the core stuck at 421MHz, this Infineon 3ns memory kicks hard! It runs with artifacts and crap all over the screen (but no polygonal corruption, so no performance hit) at 960MHz right now, scoring right at 14k points!

Hopefully the core vmod will allow it to reach higher corespeeds, so I can at least hit 15k thumb.gif

Will do the VRAM vmod and see if they somehow achieve faster speeds wink.gif

Edit: I hit 14100 points!

CL3P20 03-10-2012 05:22 PM

you hit the higher score.. because this time you ran Nature... the first time you didnt..  Congrats on your AGP work though! I just ordered one for my 478skt bench

Artikbot 03-10-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post

you hit the higher score.. because this time you ran Nature... the first time you didnt..  Congrats on your AGP work though! I just ordered one for my 478skt bench

Yeah, the older cards can't run Nature at all, but the FX6200 can.

I believe some voltmodding awesomeness can help that 6200 score better memory speeds, as it seems those are the ones boosting scores the most!! thumb.gif
I won't catch Christian Ney since he was on single stage, and don't know about the second, but scroing 17k points seems too good to be under water! Unless he's chilling it with ice, à la ghetto style tongue.gif

Regarding 478, I was about to get a MSI old 478 system from some terribly old systems at my uni, but then I realized I've ran out of space in my room rolleyes.gif

Edit: What's wrong with HWBOT at european nights? It runs slow as heck O.o