Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Builds, Logs & Case Mods (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/)
-   -   [Build Log] M10 Camacho - Tri 680 SLI / Radiator in HVAC Return (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/1249489-build-log-m10-camacho-tri-680-sli-radiator-hvac-return.html)

ChestySpankers 04-27-2012 09:29 PM

System Name: M10 Camacho, sponsored by Brawndo

Full System Name: M10 Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho, sponsored by Brawndo: It's got electrolytes. biggrinsmiley.gif

Sponsorship
Ok, it is really not sponsored. I thought the satire of the Brawndo/Camacho sponsor/name would be funny, but I know many have not seen Idiocracy (the movie). So please take this as your queue, SEE THIS MOVIE and perhaps you may think I am as funny as I think I am!

Overview
This OP will be edited as the build progresses with current pics and comments. At the bottom of this post I'll link to any significant progress updates. Rig details are also now in my signature.

I'm building this machine for nothing other than gaming (BF3) and sim racing (iRacing). I enjoy the eye candy and don't want to make any compromises. On that same note, I want sim racing to be as realistic as possible, so I'll be sharing my sim racing build here too. My Simcraft Apex 3 is currently in production, so it will likely be the end of May before I see it, meanwhile I have my Simcraft Vertex 3 to enjoy.

Status
Stock wiring only right now. Overclocking complete @ ~5ghz 24/7. Waiting on Simcraft Apex 3 install. Hopefully this will be by 7/20, but we'll see, it has been delayed with some new design changes for a while. I'm happy to get the new design, it just sucks to wait!

Budget
What budget? My sim racing gear dwarfs my computer, so I'm finally catching up and building a worthy gaming machine. All of the equipment (except the one preorder) is purchased, received, and ready for the build.

Goals:
  • BF3 ultra settings @ 5760 x 1080 with 3D vision turned on (motion blur off). Frame rates should be absolutely smooth.
  • Quiet, really, really quiet.
  • Clean, subtle, simple, elegant.
  • Only gaming and sim racing, no other uses.
  • Step up to Ivy Bridge-E later this year.

Inspiration and resources:
Plan:
System Features:
  • X79
  • Tri-SLI GTX-680s
  • Fully water cooled
  • CaseLabs M10
  • Fanless Radiator installed in HVAC Return

Sim Features:
  • Full motion 3DOF Simcraft Apex 3
  • Bodnar wheel
  • HE Ultimate Pedals
  • CaseLabs Pedestal

Hardware:
Primary components:
Water Cooling Parts:
Air Cooling Parts:
Audio:
Sim Racing Gear:
Random Stuff:
  • Lamptron Modding Tool Kit - $29
  • Molex plugs for sim gear from Mouser
  • PrimoChill Liquid Utopia Bomb Bottle - 15mL - Clear (PCLUBT-CLR) - $14
  • FrozenCPU Molex Crimping Tool - $25

Current System Pictures:

Significant Progress Posts:

GREG MISO 04-27-2012 09:35 PM

If you havent bought the cpu yet i would get the 3930k to keep those 680s from bottlenecking. subbed too

golfergolfer 04-27-2012 09:38 PM

drool.gif wow that is amazing... Cant wait to see how you do wheee.gif Good Luck! Subbed

ChestySpankers 04-27-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREG MISO View Post

If you havent bought the cpu yet i would get the 3930k to keep those 680s from bottlenecking. subbed too

I've already got it in; I did do it deliberately given that I'll be on the Ivy Bridge-E right when they come out. This CPU only has a 9 month or so lifetime for me. I agree though, it could be a constraint.

GREG MISO 04-27-2012 09:41 PM

It should be fine though. Good luck with everything.thumb.gif

irun4edmund 04-28-2012 11:02 AM

i don't care what parts you put in this thing, it automatically takes the prize as the best PC EVAR for the name wheee.gif. That movie is awesome. You definitely need to put the brawndo logo on this thing somewhere. BRAWNDO the noob mutilator gunner.gif

ChestySpankers 04-29-2012 10:36 AM

Obligatory boxen photos

Willhemmens 04-29-2012 10:41 AM

That's nice. I'm sure this is going to be a cool build.

ChestySpankers 04-29-2012 11:16 AM

Sim Gear Pedestal Build
I have two outboard PSU/control modules, one for the Simcraft (not pictured) and one for the ECCI 7000 (pictured below). Both kind of made for a wiring/logistics mess by my motion sim, and both used quality PSUs from MeanWell, but they were really loud. The opportunity to utilize a CaseLabs pedestal to house them, and to change the cooling config was a pleasant thought.

I started roughly with this:

I started by placing and mounting the PSUs and control modules for the Simcraft:

Then I took a CaseLabs Large Attachment Plate (MAC-118) and drilled standoffs for the other ECCI USB control board and other components. I attach this later to a Horizontal Accessory Mount MAC-112:

With the big modules screwed down, it was time to start working on connections. Here is one side:

And then the other (mostly PSU connections):

I added a power connection, and drilled holes for two large grommets in the back, to easily pass through the six connectors, two USB, and one bus connector for the ECCI:

Both the Simcraft and the ECCI PSUs were 24v, and I wanted to use the Lamptron FC4 for fan control. Both the FC4 and NoiseBlocker fans are 12v, so I added a 24v to 12v step down converter and mounted it in the center:

Finally, it is complete and ready for putting the fans in place and snapping in the panels:

Pedestal Conclusion:
I fired it up and tested, perhaps the FC4 was overkill, because those NoiseBlocker fans are so quiet even at full speed. I'm really happy with the results, it should clean up the area around my machine and simulator.

ChestySpankers 04-29-2012 11:35 AM

Waterblocks and Happy Endings
So I had a bunch of "Happy Endings" episodes recorded on the DVR, and I ended up burning through most of them during the waterblock installation process.

Conclusion
All went well, the results without tubing looks pretty sweet.