Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/)
-   -   Replacing PSU fan in Silverstone SFX 450w...? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1297303-replacing-psu-fan-silverstone-sfx-450w.html)

Aleckazee 08-22-2012 03:06 AM

The stock fan in the sfx is quite loud, and makes a distinct noise making it by far the loudest fan in my system. My original plan was to replace it with a noctua-NF-R8 but I just opened the psu up and found out the fan needs to be 15mm thick. I googled the model and found out it moves 36CFM @ 4000rpm (and 41dba!). The only other 15mm fan that I could find was a CoolerMaster Slim but it only moves 25CFM (2000rpm and 20dba).
Normally I would back off and either find a different fan or just put up with the noise however, I'm not sure if the current fan is spinning full speed all the time, or if it doesn't spin up under load but the speed doesn't change. I notice that after a while of some gaming, the air coming out the back of the psu is incredibly hot, and there isn't much air flow. My TX650 seemed to have better airflow, although similar sort of air temp.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is it possible for me to use the CoolerMaster Slim 24CFM? Or should I not even try? That's the only slim 80mm fan I could find on two australian sites. Happy to buy a different fan if they ship to aust.

EDIT: Does this psu have a safety temp sensor? I couldn't find any info on that

KyadCK 08-22-2012 03:20 AM

PSU fans aren't quite the same as normal fans. Their connectors are smaller, like a GPU's, and they are only 2-pin. So no, it isn't really worth trying to swap it out unless you got some magic PSU that follows standards.

It would probably work better to get a different PSU and sell off the one you have, or use it in a different build.

Aleckazee 08-22-2012 03:25 AM

I was just going to rewire the fans, or just run it to a nearby molex connector. I would need another SFX psu, and I think this is the highest rated. I need to power a 2500k and gtx560 ti

SilverStone 08-22-2012 07:54 PM

The fan inside the ST45SF is regulated to spin up in relation to its internal temperature. So the cooler you keep it, the slower its fan will run.

We have a rough fan speed graph on our ST45SF product page that shows the fan will spin up to only 2800rpm at full load. But this is in a 25℃ ambient environment:

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=253&area=en

At 40℃ environment however , the fan in the ST45SF will spin up to 2800rpm at only 70% loading (around 300W) and up to 3700rpm at full load.

I would definitely recommend against replacing the original fan with a slower one if your ST45SF is already running hot!

Lemon-scented 09-27-2012 01:20 AM

I also found the Sugo SG05's SFX 450 PSU fan to be the loudest part of my otherwise quiet setup. I chose to go the route of replacing the fan using the Noiseblocker BlackSilentPro PC-P 80mm x 15mm Ultra Silent Fan, which has very similar characteristics to the stock fan and is virtually silent. Not too difficult if you don't mind soldering and must take care to drain/discharge the capacitors.

First step was to remove open the psu. NOTE: Doing this voids your warranty.

The old fan is soldered directly to the circuit board and partially covered up with silicone. So had to scrape off enough to clear off the fan wires.

Next, desoldered the old 80mm x 80mm x 15mm fan from the circuit board.

Removed the old fan (shown above - a Protechnic Electric MGA8012ZR-O15) and carefully soldered the Noiseblocker back in its place. Again, doing this will void the warranty and carries risk, but was worth the effort for me since my SFX 450 PSU is now the quietest component in my system.

sieade245 01-12-2013 05:35 AM

Further to Lemon's post, I have also successfully carried out this procedure on the modular version of the PSU the ST45SF-G. It was slightly easier as the fan in the modular version is not soldered to the board. It instead uses a standard two pin fan header connection. This made it easy to remove from the board. I used the same fan, the BlackSilent Pro 80mm x 15mm. This comes with a 4pin PWM connector and also two 4 pin to 4 pin extension leads. I snipped the end off one of the extension leads, and also snipped the 2 pin header off the stock fan. I then used a terminal block to join the two leads together and voila.. the blacksilent pro now has a two pin header connection. The actual fan is untouched so can be used as a standard PWM fan in the future if required, only the extension lead was modified.

I cannot stress the difference this has made. Previously the stock fan could be heard all the time even when machine was idle, it was very noisy. The replacement fan is silent. I had to check it was actually working a few times because you simply cannot hear it! The job took about 20 mins and was not difficult, as no soldering is required.

Here is the PSU with the cover removed. Notice the 2 pin header on the fan

Here is the BlackSilent Pro with the extension lead next to it.

Here is the modified extension lead, essentially now a 4 pin to 2 pin fan adaptor lead. Only the red and black wires are connected, the other two are not required and can be left disconnected.

Put it all back together and the result is one silent 450w SFX PSU.

If anyone from Silverstone reads this, I think you should think about changing the stock fans in these for something a bit better. Even if it put the RRP up by a fiver or so it would be worth it!

tetrismaster 02-07-2013 01:22 AM

Do you think I can avoid soldering by simply cutting the wires, stripping, and then twist them + electrical tape, red to red, black to black? I don't have an soldering iron on me at this time.

smallisland 04-07-2013 09:44 AM

Thanks to Lemon and Sieade245 for the info on the non modular and modular psu fan replacement. I wanted to add a little more information. I recently replaced the 80mm fan in the modular version ST45SF-G. The 2 pin connector Sieade mentions is in fact a JST-PH connector. I like things neat and tidy so I ordered a JST-PH jumper wire assembly from Sparkfun. The Sparkfun part number is PRT-09914. It consists of a 2pin JST connector with 24AWG wire leads. I shortened the leads to about 4 inches and used 2 KK (fan) male crimp pins and a 3+1 (3 wire or PWM) male connector housing to make a fan lead to go from the PWM Noiseblocker fan to the PSU board JST connection. I used some heat shrink over the wires where it looked like they might contact one of the heatsinks directly. Frozencpu sells the fan pins and connector housings. They also sell JST PH pins and connectors but they are a little hard to find on the site and they are much harder to crimp than KK or minifit pins even with a micro crimper like the Engineer PA-09. The preassembled jumper wire is a much easier solution although it still requires crimping the male fan pins to the other end of the jumper wires.

Sethris225 04-23-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallisland View Post

Thanks to Lemon and Sieade245 for the info on the non modular and modular psu fan replacement. I wanted to add a little more information. I recently replaced the 80mm fan in the modular version ST45SF-G. The 2 pin connector Sieade mentions is in fact a JST-PH connector. I like things neat and tidy so I ordered a JST-PH jumper wire assembly from Sparkfun. The Sparkfun part number is PRT-09914. It consists of a 2pin JST connector with 24AWG wire leads. I shortened the leads to about 4 inches and used 2 KK (fan) male crimp pins and a 3+1 (3 wire or PWM) male connector housing to make a fan lead to go from the PWM Noiseblocker fan to the PSU board JST connection. I used some heat shrink over the wires where it looked like they might contact one of the heatsinks directly. Frozencpu sells the fan pins and connector housings. They also sell JST PH pins and connectors but they are a little hard to find on the site and they are much harder to crimp than KK or minifit pins even with a micro crimper like the Engineer PA-09. The preassembled jumper wire is a much easier solution although it still requires crimping the male fan pins to the other end of the jumper wires.

It's been a bit since you posted that, but:
Was that a 15mm or 25mm thick Noiseblocker you used?

Edit: nvm, I'll just use the BlackSilentPro if I do end up doing this mod.

Really glad I found this thread, though. Thanks, guys.

Acti 04-25-2013 06:09 AM

I am also curious to know if it's possible to do this without a soldering iron by doing as tetrismasters suggests?