Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Dry Ice/ Liquid Nitrogen (https://www.overclock.net/forum/268-dry-ice-liquid-nitrogen/)
-   -   (New DICE'n trick) Save yourself some acetone and dry ice! Melt that stuff! (https://www.overclock.net/forum/268-dry-ice-liquid-nitrogen/1361038-new-dicen-trick-save-yourself-some-acetone-dry-ice-melt-stuff.html)

SkeeterSkeeter 02-15-2013 09:21 AM

So I have been messing around playing with some dry ice and a pot for my POS Evga 610 GT. What I am doing to this poor card is torture. But anyways while I was sitting in my dungeon looking at my 5lbs slab of dry ice I saw some snow try stuff on it, probably from sitting out.

So I got my duster and blew it off, then I decided to air dust the CO2. Well the air from the air duster is much hotter than the CO2 so it started to melt; turning into liquid CO2 puddle ontop the dry ice slab.

So I thought, thats cool I can melt the dry ice to CO2. Well this got me thinking instead of using acetone/isypropal/ever clear to put in the pot for better cooling. Why not just melt the dry ice in the pot to liquid CO2 and just let that boil?

So I did. I aimed my duster down inside my pot (no acetone in it) and melted all the dry ice. Which proceeded to boil and instantly start forming front on the entire card. Which once dried destroyed it I am pretty sure. (after work I will see if she is still alive)

Point is. Put dry ice as much as possible in your pot. Blow some hot air over it until it all metls. Now you have liquid CO2 cooling!

Lemme know if this is stupid. I think it worked great. No more smelly and explosive acetone. Can cool the entire pot without the issue of acetone and without the issue of dry ice not cooling air around itself sufficiently to chill the pot (thus the need for acetone).

SkeeterSkeeter 02-15-2013 02:55 PM

Got some sweet pics guise.

I couldn't get a good picture of inside the pot because of the angle.

What I do is put a small cube of dry ice in first and melt it with the duster (I can hear it boiling co2 when its done), then I add in a good amount of dry ice snow/power (scrap it off a chunk with a metal knife) and add that in with it, the powder melts with the co2 liquid becoming co2 liquid itself in the process going through its phase change to a liquid, then as a liquid it goes through another phase change to a gas. Regular dry ice methods only utilize the sublimation of dry ice. Though I figure in the acetone + dry ice method some liquid co2 is produced in the acetone solution (not sure if they would turn to a mixture or a solution) but it is negligible. But going through two phase changes I figure would require more energy from the GPU to help the co2 thru the process. I am not sure which requires more energy the sublimation or melting and boiling of co2. Seeing as frost forms almost instantly when the dry ice cube is melted I figure the later takes more energy.

Let me know what y'all think.

EDIT: I can go from nothing the the pot at 97C to putting the dry ice in as the steps mentioned and go to 45C in less than 30 seconds.

reggiesanchez 02-15-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterSkeeter View Post

Lemme know if this is stupid. .

Prymus 02-15-2013 03:09 PM

you should turn the can upside down and see what happens thumb.gif

HobieCat 02-15-2013 04:47 PM

The problem with this is that Dry Ice doesnt become a liquid, it sublimates directly from a solid to a gas.

SkeeterSkeeter 02-15-2013 05:24 PM

Get duster, get dry ice, put duster directly on dry ice, its creates a puddle of liquid co2. It works. Try it before you say it doesn't work.

Crazy9000 02-15-2013 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterSkeeter View Post

Get duster, get dry ice, put duster directly on dry ice, its creates a puddle of liquid co2. It works. Try it before you say it doesn't work.

They are correct. Whatever that liquid is, it is not co2.
Quote:
At standard temperature and pressure, the density of carbon dioxide is around 1.98 kg/m3, about 1.5 times that of air.
Carbon dioxide has no liquid state at pressures below 5.1 standard atmospheres (520 kPa). At 1 atmosphere (near mean sea level pressure), the gas deposits directly to a solid at temperatures below −78.5 °C (−109.3 °F; 194.7 K) and the solid sublimes directly to a gas above −78.5 °C. In its solid state, carbon dioxide is commonly called dry ice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide

Halo_003 02-15-2013 05:35 PM

DICE doesn't melt though. If it's giving you a puddle it's not pure CO2, or did I miss something in chemistry? CO2 doesn't have a liquid phase so far as I know.

HobieCat 02-15-2013 05:39 PM

My guess is that the air that is coming out of the duster is condensing and you are seeing a puddle of water.

Schmuckley 02-15-2013 06:14 PM

What Hobiecat said is how it is..I'm guessing the liquid is water.I'm not gonna say it tongue.gif