Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Dry Ice/ Liquid Nitrogen (https://www.overclock.net/forum/268-dry-ice-liquid-nitrogen/)
-   -   Need Stuff For DICE! (https://www.overclock.net/forum/268-dry-ice-liquid-nitrogen/1377375-need-stuff-dice.html)

EpicAMDGamer 03-31-2013 09:37 PM

I am finally almost ready to start benching with DICE! I am going to be ordering all the necessary insulation and supplies on Tuesday (except the POT which I already have). I want to order everything from eBay and as cheap as possible.

So far my list of things to order is:

2x http://www.ebay.com/itm/130628978952?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 for the mobo

1x http://www.ebay.com/itm/321066414645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 for on top and bottom of motherboard

1x http://www.ebay.com/itm/360608430260?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 for around the Pot.

And since this is listed as 100% acetone, will this work for acetone? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Onyx-100-Acetone-Nail-Polish-Remover-16oz-/180912584947?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1f3af8f3

Let me know if there's anything else I need!

Rasparthe 04-01-2013 03:59 AM

That all looks just fine, the only thing is that you are much better off getting acetone from your local hardware store. They must carry it, its pretty common. My local Home Depot carries it for much cheaper than $6 for 16 oz, think i got a gallon for less. You will also have to order a meal from your local Chinese place, you may discard the meal, and keep the chopsticks. They are prefect for stirring the pot. thumb.gif

Good luck!

stubass 04-01-2013 04:11 AM

looks good, i am about to start myself with DICE then Ln2. my pot arrived today biggrin.gif
anyways bassplayer put me onto this paste that wont freeze even if/when you might go Ln2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GELID-GC-EXTREME-10g-Big-Thermal-Paste-Compound-Grease-CPU-GPU-Chipset-Heatsink-/150854612713?pt=US_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item231fa2b6e9

MrDucktape 04-01-2013 04:18 AM

Can't you just use blutack instead of buying all that? It works well for LN2, so I think it will too with dice

Alatar 04-01-2013 04:23 AM

Looks fine to me, I wouldn't order the acetone from ebay but other than that seems good to me. Also if you can do order your DICE as pellets instead of big blocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDucktape View Post

Can't you just use blutack instead of buying all that? It works well for LN2, so I think it will too with dice

I actually never tried bluetack but from what I've heard it cracks when it gets cold and isn't really suitable because of that.

MrDucktape 04-01-2013 04:36 AM

:O I've seen it used in LN2, that's why I was saying it. And I've never seen it crack.

Halo_003 04-01-2013 09:44 AM

Make sure to get painters tape for the pot, you can put that on and it will stop the armaflex tape from getting it covered in the glue residue. Why aren't you using non adhesive sheets for the motherboard? I use 1/2 and 1/4" sheets from mcmaster.com, and they don't stick to it. I paid like $20 for a 4 foot by 3 foot sheet of each. Also, why not use tube insulation for the pot? You can get that on mcmaster too. Looks good otherwise. thumb.gif

reggiesanchez 04-01-2013 01:34 PM

save your self hours and hours of insulating and a fistfull of dead boards and just use dragon skin or my favorite vasoline. Vasoline is a little icky but just run the board through the dishwasher when your done.

EpicAMDGamer 04-01-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasparthe View Post

That all looks just fine, the only thing is that you are much better off getting acetone from your local hardware store. They must carry it, its pretty common. My local Home Depot carries it for much cheaper than $6 for 16 oz, think i got a gallon for less. You will also have to order a meal from your local Chinese place, you may discard the meal, and keep the chopsticks. They are prefect for stirring the pot. thumb.gif

Good luck!

Alright I'll just get some acetone locally. Actually you just reminded me, I have a nice wooden dowell i set aside when I found it months ago for dice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubass View Post

looks good, i am about to start myself with DICE then Ln2. my pot arrived today biggrin.gif
anyways bassplayer put me onto this paste that wont freeze even if/when you might go Ln2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GELID-GC-EXTREME-10g-Big-Thermal-Paste-Compound-Grease-CPU-GPU-Chipset-Heatsink-/150854612713?pt=US_Thermal_Compounds_Supplies&hash=item231fa2b6e9

That seems expensive (even in smaller quantities). I was thinking of using Arctic Ceramiq?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDucktape View Post

Can't you just use blutack instead of buying all that? It works well for LN2, so I think it will too with dice

Never heard of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post

Looks fine to me, I wouldn't order the acetone from ebay but other than that seems good to me. Also if you can do order your DICE as pellets instead of big blocks.
I actually never tried bluetack but from what I've heard it cracks when it gets cold and isn't really suitable because of that.

Not sure how the DICE will be, if its big blocks then I'll smash it up smaller.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_003 View Post

Make sure to get painters tape for the pot, you can put that on and it will stop the armaflex tape from getting it covered in the glue residue. Why aren't you using non adhesive sheets for the motherboard? I use 1/2 and 1/4" sheets from mcmaster.com, and they don't stick to it. I paid like $20 for a 4 foot by 3 foot sheet of each. Also, why not use tube insulation for the pot? You can get that on mcmaster too. Looks good otherwise. thumb.gif

Yeah I have tape and was going to do that because I heard about the residue somewhere. Can you find me some non-adhesive sheets on ebay for cheap? The link you posted the stuff is bigger quantities than I need and is a bit more expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiesanchez View Post

save your self hours and hours of insulating and a fistfull of dead boards and just use dragon skin or my favorite vasoline. Vasoline is a little icky but just run the board through the dishwasher when your done.

I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible.

Another question: How much DICE should I get for 775's or 1155's for 3 hours or so? (in a pot with thin walls and low mass)

stubass 04-01-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:
That seems expensive (even in smaller quantities). I was thinking of using Arctic Ceramiq?

yep i have seen somewhere Ceramiq will work fine too. smile.gif


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.