Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Dry Ice/ Liquid Nitrogen (https://www.overclock.net/forum/268-dry-ice-liquid-nitrogen/)
-   -   I have Thirty Thousand Liters of Liquid Nitrogen. (https://www.overclock.net/forum/268-dry-ice-liquid-nitrogen/1378999-i-have-thirty-thousand-liters-liquid-nitrogen.html)

TickMagnet 04-05-2013 08:14 AM

I work where we use LN2 all the time, I live five minutes from our shop where the N2 bulker is parked (which I can drive! Wheee!!!)
My boss is pretty cool and would probably let me fill up a 40 liter rubbermaid tote behind the truck if I wanted. Sometimes we put some in pop bottles and blow them up just for fun.

I was thinking I could just submerge the entire motherboard in LN2 and just run the power into the tub and the cable for the monitor out to the display. Do you guys use pots because you just don't have enough LN2? or is this a bad idea for some other reason?

I haven't overclocked anything other than just clicking the turbo to "On" in my ASUS bios but I do have an i52500K and a P8P67-M motherboard.

And if I wanted to bring some LN2 home what would be the best way?

By the way if anyone around Calgary Alberta wants to get a hold of some LN2 I can probably help you out. I haven't asked the boss yet but like I said he's pretty cool about doing crazy stuff just for fun.

Maxxa 04-05-2013 08:22 AM

First rule of submersion club is... don't do it if the fluid is conductive. Second I doubt the PCB could withstand the extreme cold not to mention the wires and everything else. Pretty sure a pot is the only practical way to do it without risking your PC componenets too much. *NOTE I said too much because there will always be risks when pushing something to and beyond it's limits.

Biscuits_N_Gravy 04-05-2013 08:28 AM

When I read the title, I thought "Mr. Freeze is on our forums?"

Shion314 04-05-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits_N_Gravy View Post

This.

OP: I think the need for a pot is because not all the components can handle that level of freezing. I'd imagine parts wouldn't function at super subzero temps.

TickMagnet 04-05-2013 08:37 AM

Doesn't look conductive here The guy sticks wiring right into it. didn't even blow the breaker.

xxbassplayerxx 04-05-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shion314 View Post

This.

OP: I think the need for a pot is because not all the components can handle that level of freezing. I'd imagine parts wouldn't function at super subzero temps.

Winner!

There are many chips on a motherboard that would coldbug (stop functioning below a certain temperature). The best way to transport LN2 is with a dewar.

Ryleh 04-05-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits_N_Gravy View Post

I thought the same thing, haha.

navynuke499 04-05-2013 08:40 AM

the board has a freezing point at which it will no longer work, you cant just dip the whole thing in there and expect it to keep going.