Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   AMD CPUs (https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/)
-   -   And... I delidded my A10-5700! (https://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/1380057-i-delidded-my-a10-5700-a.html)

Artikbot 04-08-2013 04:46 AM

Good morning (or evening, or night, or whatever timezone you are in biggrin.gif) folks!

Yesterday I thought I'd go all the way and delid my A10-5700, as the temperatures weren't all that great and I was hitting the thermal limits in some situations (I even had a couple of thermal shutdowns).

So this morning I went ahead, picked up an used shaving razor blade, dismantled it, took apart the blade, and got to work thumb.gif

This is the lovely die exposed wubsmiley.gif

I am also processing and uploading a video I took of the whole process, so stay tuned for that too!

In case you were wondering, I lowered my load (gaming) temperatures from 72-73ºC to 67ºC on stock fan settings, and from 70ºC to 65ºC on custom fan profile smile.gif

Not a hefty increase, but nice nonetheless, considering I used MX-4 on both the die and the heatsink. You can count on a much nicer improvement if you use better quality paste smile.gif

I am already looking for some screws that will fit in the Noctua mounting system to run it delidded... I'd love to see the improvement thumb.gif

AlDyer 04-08-2013 04:59 AM

I have been thinking of actually delidding my FX 8150, but not sure if worth it...

SmokinWaffle 04-08-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Good morning (or evening, or night, or whatever timezone you are in biggrin.gif) folks!
I am already looking for some screws that will fit in the Noctua mounting system to run it delidded... I'd love to see the improvement thumb.gif

Was about to suggest that myself, would be interesting to see. smile.gif

Artikbot 04-08-2013 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post

Was about to suggest that myself, would be interesting to see. smile.gif

Then so be it, going to buy some screws after I have lunch, and getting it to run bare die biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlDyer View Post

I have been thinking of actually delidding my FX 8150, but not sure if worth it...

Don't! Its soldered so you'll just rip the die thumb.gif

MacClipper 04-08-2013 09:06 AM

Good on you , congrats on a nice clean job there!

Artikbot 04-08-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacClipper View Post

Good on you , congrats on a nice clean job there!

Thanks biggrin.gif

I'm about to dismantle the thing again just to check the screws it uses... Perhaps I even have some spare around!

sugarhell 04-08-2013 09:29 AM

You could use the hammer version of delidding. More safe biggrin.gif

Do you plan to run it without ihs?

LuckySe7ens 04-08-2013 09:34 AM

I didn't realize that these weren't soldered redface.gif

Cool thumb.gif

Surprised that people are still using the razor blade method, the vice and hammer method seems to be so easy.

CL3P20 04-08-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckySe7ens View Post

I didn't realize that these weren't soldered redface.gif

Cool thumb.gif

Surprised that people are still using the razor blade method, the vice and hammer method seems to be so easy.

on an Ivy.. which has no pins sure.. are people so nuts their whacking AMD CPU's now too? wth.gif

Artikbot 04-08-2013 09:46 AM

Hahaha yeah, I am nuts. Pretty dang nuts xD

Mind you, I just tore it down again to install new bolts and run it lidless biggrin.gif

Oh, and a side note. Noctua's mounting system is CRAP. It wasn't putting enough pressure on the whole assembly to spread the paste properly wth.gif