Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   PC Gaming (https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc-gaming/)
-   -   [LIST] Best Story Driven Games (https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc-gaming/1396006-list-best-story-driven-games.html)

_LDC_ 05-30-2013 02:16 PM

This thread became larger than I expected, so I am editing the first post to share all the good advices that have been kindly contributed so far.
I will try to divide them into two categories, based on the numbers of matching advices: the "universally acknowledged" and the "special mention"
The list is available for everyone to use, and new contributions are always welcome!

Best story driven games

Planescape: Torment Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Mass Effect (series) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
gameplay <--- First episode

gamplay 2 <-- Second episode

I purposely avoid to link ME3 videos to avoid major spoilers, but -generally speaking- the gameplay is similar to the previous chapters, refined and improved

review

Bioshock (series)
Deus Ex (1 and Human Revolution DC)
Dragon Age (series)
The Witcher (series)
Metro: Last Light
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Portal (series)
Silent Hill (1 & 2)
Final Fantasy (series)
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer

Special Mention

The Wolf Among Us
The Walking Dead
Bastion
Half Life (series)
Anna
Dear Esther
Fallout NewVegas
Dark Souls (series)
To the Moon
SOMA

below is the original message, in case someone wanted to see it I decided to preserve it... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Hi all,

it has been quite a while since I last completed a game (it was the first Half Life) then I quitted gaming almost completely 'cause I focused my interest elsewhere. Now that many things are settled and I can manage my time better, I would like to start playing games again but I need OC.net's citizens help because I am out of the scene since looong time and know nearly nothing about "modern" titles, genres ecc, and also have a specific request that needs to be fulfilled for the games to be taken into consideration: I want to play a memorable story.
Story is what matters for me the most in a game, I don't care about the graphic or any fancy feature, I just want something that will remain within me forever like a good book, movie ecc

For all the kind people who will choose to reply, please state only two titles and explain why you choosed them (this will help me narrow the results) smile.gif

thanks!

croSSeduP 05-30-2013 10:05 PM

I feel you. I'm exactly the same way. Graphics quality is not on the top of my list when I'm playing a game. When in the midst of game play I don't even notice the graphics. The top two things for me in a game is story line and game play, so I think we're coming from the same mold. Having said that, you HAVE to play the Mass Effect franchise starting with the first Mass Effect. Another to consider is Skyrim. This game is HUGE. There are so many side quests that it can take you months to get through it. Plus there are a boat load of mods for it now that can make game play very interesting.
cheers.gif

_LDC_ 05-31-2013 06:50 AM

tnx for replying smile.gif
What genre is Mass Effect?
I heard about skyrim but since my gaming time is very limited I can't start something that huge smile.gif

boredgunner 05-31-2013 11:08 AM

Likewise, story is one of the most important things for me when it comes to games. Skyrim is not a story driven game at all, so don't bother. Mass Effect is an RPG that spans across three games. It's like a TV series, except you control the protagonist.

I think you'd really love these games; Bioware games such as Mass Effect are unique in the sense that they're character driven, and have a unique approach to storytelling. Their games are by far the best at making the player actually feel for other characters. These games have dozens of ethical decisions and hundreds of dialogue options, and each one has a noticeable impact on the game. Other characters are shaped by your choices and how you interact with them, this approach to storytelling needs to be used more often since it showcases how video games can offer a unique storytelling experience, potentially superior to movies and television. Anyway if you get the Mass Effect games, I recommend getting all of the DLC too, but the DLC prices might scare you.

There's also Dragon Age, which is another RPG series made by Bioware (though it has more traditional RPG gameplay which is a bonus for me). It uses the same storytelling approach as Mass Effect, except each game is really its own game while the three Mass Effect games are all part of the same story. I consider Dragon Age: Origins to be the best game ever made... never before have I seen such a huge scale game hit the mark in every area, and have remarkable attention to detail.

The Witcher series are also story driven games, but the first one has such horrible combat mechanics and lacks the cinematic storytelling of the second. It's worth trying but you might not enjoy it, but you'll most likely enjoy The Witcher 2 since it improves gameplay so much.

Other games worth mentioning are Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light, which are atmospheric survival FPS games. Metro 2033 is loosely based on a novel, and there's a novel being written by Metro: Last Light (and I hear the original author helped write the story of Last Light). The story in these games is very memorable, Last Light has a more complex story than any shooter I've played.

The Penumbra series and Amnesia: The Dark Descent spring to mind as well. These are well-written games with an excellent story and incredible atmosphere. They do an incredible job pulling me into the game and never letting go.

I couldn't help but notice your profile states "Location: Italy". There's an Italian game I discovered not too long ago with a very interesting story, and incredible storytelling. It's called "Anna", you can find it on Steam or Desura. It's a brilliant and very artistic game, and will really test you. Definitely worth a shot.

_LDC_ 05-31-2013 01:07 PM

thanks for your reply ^^

I will dig more into most of the titles you suggested (Mass Effect, Dragon Age), will probably avoid Penumbra and Amnesia (back in the days I had my share already with Chtuhlu/Horror ecc, looking for a change ^^ ).
Yup I am from pizzaland, and never heard of that game: if it impressed you so much it must be very good, but you also say that it will "test me". What do you mean with that? if it's too complex I won't have the time to dive into it, I am kinda casual so I won't be able to focus for hours and hours every week on puzzles or such, it would just make me uninstall it xD

since I am taking a look on games review sites, I also stumbled upon these titles and would like OC's opinion, so what about: Deus EX (Human Revolution), Bioshock, Hitman, Assassin's Creed?

boredgunner 05-31-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LDC_ View Post

thanks for your reply ^^

I will dig more into most of the titles you suggested (Mass Effect, Dragon Age), will probably avoid Penumbra and Amnesia (back in the days I had my share already with Chtuhlu/Horror ecc, looking for a change ^^ ).
Yup I am from pizzaland, and never heard of that game: if it impressed you so much it must be very good, but you also say that it will "test me". What do you mean with that? if it's too complex I won't have the time to dive into it, I am kinda casual so I won't be able to focus for hours and hours every week on puzzles or such, it would just make me uninstall it xD

since I am taking a look on games review sites, I also stumbled upon these titles and would like OC's opinion, so what about: Deus EX (Human Revolution), Bioshock, Hitman, Assassin's Creed?

Anna will test you mentally, it has extremely challenging puzzles. You can always look up help if you get stuck, even I had to at one point. The Deus Ex games are story-driven RPGs and worth a try. I have Human Revolution but haven't gotten around to it yet. The same applies to Bioshock, they're supposed to have a unique style and good story, but I haven't played it yet. Hitman isn't particularly story driven, and Assassins Creed tries but doesn't measure up to some of the other titles discussed here.

_LDC_ 05-31-2013 03:17 PM

so in a timespan of let's say 10 years... only five/six titles are worth the title of "masterpiece in the category story driven"?

boredgunner 05-31-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LDC_ View Post

so in a timespan of let's say 10 years... only five/six titles are worth the title of "masterpiece in the category story driven"?

Hmm, I don't even consider all of those to be masterpieces. In the last ten years, the only games I'd call "masterpiece in the category of story driven" are Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect (all three), Silent Hill 3... that might be it, and I play a lot of games. Metal Gear Solid games are somewhat close, but I don't know if I'd call the masterpieces. Aside from the story, they all could use serious gameplay improvements, and their storytelling just isn't up there with Mass Effect or Dragon Age... or even The Witcher games.

I'm very selective in where I use the term "masterpiece". One of the most impressive story driven games ever is Silent Hill 2. I think there was a PC version but it's impossible to get now, it's over 10 years old.

_LDC_ 06-01-2013 03:26 AM

well wow xD
I am more attracted by old-fashioned fantasy than sci-fi, so I think Dragon Age will be my first choice (and of course I will then proceed with all the others biggrin.gif ), so thanks for pointing them for me I really didn't knew about Dragon Age at all.

If anyone else want to contribute... feel free to do so ^^

MoonStruckHorrors 06-01-2013 03:57 AM

1) Portal 1/2

Valve-style storytelling at it's finest. Even if you don't prefer sci-fi this is a must play. Linear.

2) Metro: Last Light (Although boredgunner has already recommended this I though two recommendations might help you see how good this is. )

Post-Apocalyptic FPS with tons(TONS) of conversation that could be easily missed. But if you're really interested in a story & some fine(FINE) atmosphere, this is the games. If you decide to play this, play Metro 2033 first. Although it doesn't have the amount of conversations in Last Light, it's still beats most of the games out there.