Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Sound Cards and Computer Audio (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18-sound-cards-computer-audio/)
-   -   Subwoofer near computer case, what's the real risk? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18-sound-cards-computer-audio/1398207-subwoofer-near-computer-case-whats-real-risk.html)

pheria 06-06-2013 11:48 AM

Hey everyone,

I've just moved and our game/computer room is now a bit smaller, which resulted in me having to downsize my desk.
In trying to optimize space I figured I could place an end table in the corner, a sub underneath it, and my tower on top. I did this last night, but it just now clicked in my head that there may be magnetic / vibration concerns.

Vibration I can test myself, and simply feel whether it may be a problem or not.
It's the electromagnetism that's left me wondering.

I've found a lot of conflicting opinions when searching online, but most of these are several years old so I thought I would ask the classic question again:

Is my PC safe if it's close to my subwoofer?

The sub is part of the "Logitech Z Cinema Advanced Surround Sound System", and I'm not sure if it's shielded or not.

Here's a pic of the setup:

TwoCables 06-06-2013 11:55 AM

There is nothing in the manual that talks about whether or not it's shielded. So it's my guess that it's not shielded and therefore I recommended keeping it at least 2 feet away from anything magnetic, such as hard drives. I don't know what can happen if you don't, but don't take your chances.

aroc91 06-06-2013 12:01 PM

http://cobolhacker.com/2006/10/28/is-it-possible-to-erase-a-hard-drive-with-magnets/

It'll be fine.

SDH500 06-06-2013 12:01 PM

If you haven't replaced your mechanical hard drives with SSD's yet the vibration may also screw something up. If you are mechanical hard drive free you should be just fine, but expect cheap fans to not last as long.

tsm106 06-06-2013 12:08 PM

I've thought about it before, but it doesn't seem to bother my server/htpc at all to have a 10" Energy sub thumping right next to it. The server is running 20 drives total btw and 12 in RAID6 and yea its been like this for years.

TwoCables 06-06-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

I've thought about it before, but it doesn't seem to bother my server/htpc at all to have a 10" Energy sub thumping right next to it. The server is running 20 drives total btw and 12 in RAID6 and yea its been like this for years.

Then your subwoofer may be magnetically shielded.

pheria 06-06-2013 12:28 PM

I have an SSD for my main drive, but a mechanical for media, large game installs, etc.

The general vibe I'm getting is that it's probably okay, but perhaps not worth the risk either.

Vibrations are a concern as well, but they're something I feel more confident about experimenting with. I can't see magnetic fields (especially not inside of a hard drive enclosure), but I can easily observe vibrations.

TwoCables 06-06-2013 12:32 PM

All I've ever heard over the years is if a subwoofer or speaker is not magnetically shielded, then it should be kept at least 2 feet away from magnetic things like hard drive.

pheria 06-06-2013 01:44 PM

Seems like sound advice. I'll probably see if I can readjust my setup somehow to be safe. Thanks!

Masta Squidge 06-06-2013 01:49 PM

This myth is absurd. You people do realize there are brutally strong magnets inside hard drives right?

One could make the argument that the A/C speaker coil might cause a problem, but the magnetic field is FAR too weak to do anything. Even an unshielded speaker has to be just a couple inches from a CRT to affect it, and that my friends is the ONLY reason to buy shielded speakers in the first place.

Shielding in speakers originates from the CRT era, when speakers were places directly next to the screens, in some cases attached to them, and unshielded ones would cause all sorts of funky colors on the display. It has nothing to do with your hard drive.