Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Builds, Logs & Case Mods (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/)
-   -   [Build Log] i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti SLI - Corsair 750D - Custom Liquid Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/1441615-build-log-i7-4770k-gtx-780-ti-sli-corsair-750d-custom-liquid-cooling.html)

brandon6199 11-10-2013 11:53 PM

Intel Core i7-4770k - ASUS Maximus VI Formula Z87 - (2) EVGA GTX 780 Ti SLI - Corsair Obsidian 750D - Custom Liquid Cooling

Please note: Water-cooling loop diagram is a work-in-progress and subject to change

Hello everyone thumb.gif

First off, I would like to thank OCN for all of the feedback and support you've given me over the past couple weeks. I recently sold my build (i7 950, GTX 480, 6GB DDR3) and have been out of the loop for a while in regards to keeping up-to-date with all of the hardware news as of late. The last time I was following hardware tech this closely was around the release of the GTX 480. Needless to say, it's been a while, and you kind folks at OCN never fail when it comes to helping out a fellow overclocker with his new build. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I intend to give back to the community with a detailed build-log of my new rig. smile.gif

Please keep in mind that this will be my first attempt at setting up a custom water cooling loop... I sure do hope this goes well! thumb.gif

Purpose of this build: For gaming in 1440p and achieving high overclocks on the GPU and GPU's using a custom loop

Main Components:

Liquid Cooling Components:

Navigation Links

brandon6199 11-10-2013 11:55 PM

Reserved

Jakewat 11-11-2013 01:05 AM

Do you realize that having tubing come out the top of the reservoir will required an M2 to G1/4 adapter? also you would probably be better off buying the pump and res separately as they will cost less and that combo is more designed to have the inlet and outlet at the base of the res where the pump is. You also should be thinking/ planning for angled adapters, fill ports and drain ports to make the loop easier to use.

I recommend buying all your larger parts, eg rads, res, blocks. And planning out your loop before deciding on fittings.

Finally, have you decided on fans for the rads? best to look at gentle typhoons or a few others with very good static pressures. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10323/fan-674/Scythe_Gentle_Typhoon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_-_1850_RPM_D1225C12B5AP-15_Hot_Item_.html?tl=g36c15s60

brandon6199 11-11-2013 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakewat View Post

Do you realize that having tubing come out the top of the reservoir will required an M2 to G1/4 adapter? also you would probably be better off buying the pump and res separately as they will cost less and that combo is more designed to have the inlet and outlet at the base of the res where the pump is. You also should be thinking/ planning for angled adapters, fill ports and drain ports to make the loop easier to use.

I recommend buying all your larger parts, eg rads, res, blocks. And planning out your loop before deciding on fittings.

Finally, have you decided on fans for the rads? best to look at gentle typhoons or a few others with very good static pressures. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10323/fan-674/Scythe_Gentle_Typhoon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_-_1850_RPM_D1225C12B5AP-15_Hot_Item_.html?tl=g36c15s60

Seeing as I have a few weeks or so until EK releases the GTX 780 Ti blocks, I do have some time to play with my water-cooling setup (I haven't ordered the parts yet, going to order them all at once)

I am aware that the XSPC Photon res contradicts the diagram I created in the initial post - Something that I am still deciding on. I do prefer the XSPC Photon reservoir over all of the others that I've seen, however the only issue is the M20 to G1/4" adapter installed will not allow me to fill the reservoir from the top... I'm thinking of using a Y-splitter and having one inlet port and the other as a fill port.

However, as you said, I am considering ordering my larger parts first to see how they would fit in my build.

Jakewat 11-11-2013 01:16 AM

Yes, lots of time for learning smile.gif. I am thinking of going for the photon 170 myself as it is glass instead of acrylic which is great when using coloured coolants as it doesn't stain. But the combo is not really the way to go, plus I don't really like how it looks IMO.

brandon6199 11-11-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakewat View Post

Yes, lots of time for learning smile.gif. I am thinking of going for the photon 170 myself as it is glass instead of acrylic which is great when using coloured coolants as it doesn't stain. But the combo is not really the way to go, plus I don't really like how it looks IMO.

Which pump would you use with the Photon 170, and how would you go about setting them up together? For example, would you use a small piece of tubing, a male to male adapter, etc.? I am totally open to feedback smile.gif

Jakewat 11-11-2013 01:26 AM

Well my plan is almost the same as yours except for the difference in rad placement and an extra GPU block in yours. I'm going to have a swiftech MCP665 D5 pump at the bottom of everything, have the photon turned upside down so the three holes are at the top and the fill port now links directly to the pump with tubing. For you the pump must flow first to the 280mm rad at the front then to the blocks etc etc... since the water must come down onto the pump rather than try to pump the water up the res, which most likely will stress or run risk of running the pump dry.
This will allow you to use the extra holes on the res as fillports.
waterloophelp_zps02925bd4.jpeg

GunfighterAK 11-11-2013 04:12 AM

Sub

WhiteWulfe 11-11-2013 06:17 AM

Looks interesting, subbed!

division2 11-11-2013 06:35 AM

I would change your loop order as the way it is now you would have the hot water from your gpus blasting your cpu. Arrange your loop so that the hot water from your gpus will hit a rad before going to any other component.