Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Builds, Logs & Case Mods (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/)
-   -   [Build Log] i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti SLI - Corsair 750D - Custom Liquid Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/1441615-build-log-i7-4770k-gtx-780-ti-sli-corsair-750d-custom-liquid-cooling.html)

brandon6199 11-10-2013 10:53 PM

Intel Core i7-4770k - ASUS Maximus VI Formula Z87 - (2) EVGA GTX 780 Ti SLI - Corsair Obsidian 750D - Custom Liquid Cooling

Please note: Water-cooling loop diagram is a work-in-progress and subject to change

Hello everyone thumb.gif

First off, I would like to thank OCN for all of the feedback and support you've given me over the past couple weeks. I recently sold my build (i7 950, GTX 480, 6GB DDR3) and have been out of the loop for a while in regards to keeping up-to-date with all of the hardware news as of late. The last time I was following hardware tech this closely was around the release of the GTX 480. Needless to say, it's been a while, and you kind folks at OCN never fail when it comes to helping out a fellow overclocker with his new build. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and I intend to give back to the community with a detailed build-log of my new rig. smile.gif

Please keep in mind that this will be my first attempt at setting up a custom water cooling loop... I sure do hope this goes well! thumb.gif

Purpose of this build: For gaming in 1440p and achieving high overclocks on the GPU and GPU's using a custom loop

Main Components:

Liquid Cooling Components:

Navigation Links

brandon6199 11-10-2013 10:55 PM

Reserved

Jakewat 11-11-2013 12:05 AM

Do you realize that having tubing come out the top of the reservoir will required an M2 to G1/4 adapter? also you would probably be better off buying the pump and res separately as they will cost less and that combo is more designed to have the inlet and outlet at the base of the res where the pump is. You also should be thinking/ planning for angled adapters, fill ports and drain ports to make the loop easier to use.

I recommend buying all your larger parts, eg rads, res, blocks. And planning out your loop before deciding on fittings.

Finally, have you decided on fans for the rads? best to look at gentle typhoons or a few others with very good static pressures. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10323/fan-674/Scythe_Gentle_Typhoon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_-_1850_RPM_D1225C12B5AP-15_Hot_Item_.html?tl=g36c15s60

brandon6199 11-11-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakewat View Post

Do you realize that having tubing come out the top of the reservoir will required an M2 to G1/4 adapter? also you would probably be better off buying the pump and res separately as they will cost less and that combo is more designed to have the inlet and outlet at the base of the res where the pump is. You also should be thinking/ planning for angled adapters, fill ports and drain ports to make the loop easier to use.

I recommend buying all your larger parts, eg rads, res, blocks. And planning out your loop before deciding on fittings.

Finally, have you decided on fans for the rads? best to look at gentle typhoons or a few others with very good static pressures. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10323/fan-674/Scythe_Gentle_Typhoon_120mm_x_25mm_Fan_-_1850_RPM_D1225C12B5AP-15_Hot_Item_.html?tl=g36c15s60

Seeing as I have a few weeks or so until EK releases the GTX 780 Ti blocks, I do have some time to play with my water-cooling setup (I haven't ordered the parts yet, going to order them all at once)

I am aware that the XSPC Photon res contradicts the diagram I created in the initial post - Something that I am still deciding on. I do prefer the XSPC Photon reservoir over all of the others that I've seen, however the only issue is the M20 to G1/4" adapter installed will not allow me to fill the reservoir from the top... I'm thinking of using a Y-splitter and having one inlet port and the other as a fill port.

However, as you said, I am considering ordering my larger parts first to see how they would fit in my build.

Jakewat 11-11-2013 12:16 AM

Yes, lots of time for learning smile.gif. I am thinking of going for the photon 170 myself as it is glass instead of acrylic which is great when using coloured coolants as it doesn't stain. But the combo is not really the way to go, plus I don't really like how it looks IMO.

brandon6199 11-11-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Yes, lots of time for learning smile.gif. I am thinking of going for the photon 170 myself as it is glass instead of acrylic which is great when using coloured coolants as it doesn't stain. But the combo is not really the way to go, plus I don't really like how it looks IMO.

Which pump would you use with the Photon 170, and how would you go about setting them up together? For example, would you use a small piece of tubing, a male to male adapter, etc.? I am totally open to feedback smile.gif

Jakewat 11-11-2013 12:26 AM

Well my plan is almost the same as yours except for the difference in rad placement and an extra GPU block in yours. I'm going to have a swiftech MCP665 D5 pump at the bottom of everything, have the photon turned upside down so the three holes are at the top and the fill port now links directly to the pump with tubing. For you the pump must flow first to the 280mm rad at the front then to the blocks etc etc... since the water must come down onto the pump rather than try to pump the water up the res, which most likely will stress or run risk of running the pump dry.
This will allow you to use the extra holes on the res as fillports.
waterloophelp_zps02925bd4.jpeg

GunfighterAK 11-11-2013 03:12 AM

Sub

WhiteWulfe 11-11-2013 05:17 AM

Looks interesting, subbed!

division2 11-11-2013 05:35 AM

I would change your loop order as the way it is now you would have the hot water from your gpus blasting your cpu. Arrange your loop so that the hot water from your gpus will hit a rad before going to any other component.

Jenova69 11-11-2013 05:41 AM

Loop order has practically no effect on cooling.

barkinos98 11-11-2013 05:46 AM

Subbed man!
Also yeah what i've been told/learned is that loop order doesnt matter as long as the pump is below the reservoir so it will never ever run dry, just look out for that.
Other than that, make it look as clean as possible with not so much tubing and it'll be done thumb.gif

Master__Shake 11-11-2013 05:54 AM

why have it go from one rad to the res to another rad??

why not have it go from the gpus to a rad to the cpu to a rad back to the res?

division2 11-11-2013 06:33 AM

Well as a past proud owner of GTX 480 sli water cooled (which i believe was rated at 250 watt each same as GTX 780ti) I can tell you for a fact that I had to get a 5000 btu a/c window unit for use in the summertime because my room got so hot while gaming.
I had the hot water from my video cards going to a 3x120mm rad just like the op (not same rad but same size) and let me tell you the air was hot coming off the radiator ( I believe I was using 2000 rpm fans also). I would not want that hot water hitting my cpu.
Well he can install his loop as drawn and if he finds that he has high cpu temps he can replumb the loop as tubing is very cheap.
Good luck op with your awesome build I look forward to seeing it completed. thumb.gif

IBIubbleTea 11-11-2013 07:57 AM

Why not get a 2x120 instead of the 2x140, place the 2x120 on the bottom.

brandon6199 11-11-2013 10:27 AM

smile.gif

Also, please note that the water-cooling diagram in the original post is subject to change. I am taking into consideration almost everything that everyone in this topic has mentioned. For example, using a 2x120mm rad instead of a 2x140mm, and placing it on the bottom (Thanks IBIubbleTea) and having the loop go from RAD -> GPU -> GPU -> RAD -> CPU -> RAD (Thanks Master_Shake and division2)

I will begin assembling the build tonight once I get home from work. This is going to be a long day at the office... redface.gif

ZippyPinhead 11-11-2013 11:14 AM

Question, is an 850 watt power supply enough for an OC'd z87 water cooled build featuring dual high end radeon cards in xfire or dual high end NVidia boards in SLI?

IBIubbleTea 11-11-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon6199 View Post

smile.gif

Also, please note that the water-cooling diagram in the original post is subject to change. I am taking into consideration almost everything that everyone in this topic has mentioned. For exmaple, using a 2x120mm rad instead of a 2x140mm, and placing it on the bottom (Thanks IBIubbleTea) and having the loop go from RAD -> GPU -> GPU -> RAD -> CPU -> RAD (Thanks Master_Shake and division2)

I will begin assembling the build tonight once I get home from work. This is going to be a long day at the office... redface.gif

No problem, Im planning on doing what your doing but this is my planning build.
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1Z2eA

Using the same full copper rad as you like 3x120 and 2x120 on bottom, for the bottom, idk if the rad would fit because it sticks out a bit near the end...

brandon6199 11-11-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyPinhead View Post

Question, is an 850 watt power supply enough for an OC'd z87 water cooled build featuring dual high end radeon cards in xfire or dual high end NVidia boards in SLI?

To be honest, you'll notice that I ordered an AX860i for this build. I plan on swapping this out soon with an AX1200i just to be safe, considering these full fledged GK110 GPU's when over-volted draw a significant amount of power.

On stock with no overclocking? You should be fine with a quality 850W or 860W PSU.

ZippyPinhead 11-11-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

To be honest, you'll notice that I ordered an AX860i for this build. I plan on swapping this out soon with an AX1200i just to be safe, considering these full fledged GK110 GPU's when over-volted draw a significant amount of power.

On stock with no overclocking? You should be fine with a quality 850W or 860W PSU.
What about mild over clocking? Or just over clocking of the CPU only? Im going to be doing a micro atx build with either dual GTX 780's or Dual 290x's with a 4770k, with a water cooled system sporting a 35x pump,2 small radiators and couple of SSD's and regular hd's I would like to grab the AX860i, but not sure if its enough for the setup. Kind of have a $200 budget for the PSU and really like the COrsair AX i units. So my build will be very similar to yours, just in a smaller form factor.

ZippyPinhead 11-11-2013 11:35 AM

BTW, do love your build up, I sub'd. Will be following since both our builds will be very similar in components.

One thing, really surprised by the choice of the Formula MB? For similar money there are others out there will significant advantages in terms of wifi, sound, and PCI e 3.0 throughput(ie: plz 8747 bus expansion/controller). Even an M atx board as well.

Master__Shake 11-11-2013 12:06 PM

i noticed you are not using the intergrated water channel in the board...

i know its aluminium but it has a coating, a rather thick one IIRC....

shouldn't cause any issues.

http://rog.asus.com/tag/aluminum-copper-mix/

its anodized.

brandon6199 11-11-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

i noticed you are not using the intergrated water channel in the board...

i know its aluminium but it has a coating, a rather thick one IIRC....

shouldn't cause any issues.

http://rog.asus.com/tag/aluminum-copper-mix/

its anodized.

You are correct. However, my concern with the CrossChill block is that, while it is anodized, the rest of components in my loop are not. I'm not quite comfortable including that block in the loop at this point, especially considering that I don't really "need" to water-cool the chipset.

Gaupz 11-11-2013 06:05 PM

subbed. Really interested in how you are going to end up doing the loop.

Thinking I might do something similar, same config 2x gpu 1x cpu 360/240mm rad. Going to order parts this weekend smile.gif

brandon6199 11-11-2013 08:27 PM

smile.gif

More images coming soon!

Marc79 11-12-2013 02:34 AM

drool.gif

Them cards is nice.

Gilles3000 11-12-2013 02:52 AM

Subbed!

Are you going to remove the 5.25inch bays? If so, you might want to try fitting a 420mm up top.

Jakewat 11-12-2013 01:22 PM

Dat stock, I know the feel smile.gif

brandon6199 11-12-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Dat stock, I know the feel smile.gif

Indeed... quite embarrassing redface.gif

JAM3S121 11-12-2013 03:15 PM

subbed, getting this case soon

BFFigjam 11-12-2013 03:50 PM

]New here, subbed.

Looking forward to more WC stuff like this, hopefully doing of of my own soon!

wouldn't you be able to make the loop shorter by turning the top radiator so that the water from the top rad runs straight into the res instead of venturing across the entire case?
i understand this may not be possible due to the drive bays, but just an idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by division2 View Post

I would change your loop order as the way it is now you would have the hot water from your gpus blasting your cpu. Arrange your loop so that the hot water from your gpus will hit a rad before going to any other component.

Agreed, maybe instead of rotating the top radiator go Pump>Front Rad>GPUs>Top Rad> CPU>res ?

Edit: just realised i was responding to the first page, feel stupid now mad.gif

brandon6199 11-12-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM3S121 View Post

subbed, getting this case soon

You'll be making a great decision if you do thumb.gif

brandon6199 11-12-2013 07:35 PM

UPDATE: Main Hardware Components Arrive!

More to come thumb.gif

brandon6199 11-12-2013 07:59 PM

UPDATE: Assembly of Main Components and Testing

And yes, that is a stock Intel CPU heatsink... redface.gif

Looking forward to ordering the water-cooling parts!

ledzepp3 11-12-2013 08:08 PM

Just curious, how do those cards perform acoustically? I've always been curious about those coolers.

-Zepp

brandon6199 11-12-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepp3 View Post

Just curious, how do those cards perform acoustically? I've always been curious about those coolers.

-Zepp

After about an hour of Battlefield 4 @ 2560x1440 on Ultra Settings and 4xMSAA, I couldn't even tell that the fans on the cards were even spinning. These cards are extremely quiet even while under load. Coming from a GTX 480, which would become quite noisy after a few minutes of BF4 gameplay, these are practically silent.

I did, however, purposely turn up the fan speeds with EVGA Precision X and found that it wasn't until 60-70% fan speed that I was actually able to hear these cards operating. I believe while playing BF4, they were only around 40-50% fan speed.

Hope this helps, but all in all, the stock cooler does an excellent job of keeping the temps down while barely being audible.

brandon6199 11-13-2013 10:46 AM

UPDATE: Upgraded Power Supply - AX1200i

Although the AX860i has been perfectly able to handle this build thus far, (even while heavy load during benchmarking and gaming) I chose to go for the AX1200i instead. Reason being, once I get my loop up and running, I'm going to be overclocking and heavily increasing voltages on my CPU and GPU's in order to maximize the overclocking potential. Too close for comfort for me. I'll be swapping my AX860i out today and replacing it with the AX1200i - although with the increased length of the AX1200i, I hope that I'm still able to mount a 2 x 120mm rad on the bottom of the 750D. If not, I'll stick to my original plan and mount a 2 x 140 mm rad to the front of the case.

Newegg was able to get this package to me in less than 24 hours. I ordered it yesterday afternoon, and received it this morning around 10:30 AM. They were also kind enough to waive the re-stocking fee for my AX860i even though I already opened the package.

Thanks Newegg thumb.gif

Corsair AX1200i installed. I'll be ordering the parts for my custom loop soon smile.gif

rbrenner87 11-13-2013 11:10 AM

Excellent build and documentation thus far!

I upgraded my ram on my x79 platform last week to 32gb of the G. Skill Trident X - 2133, and have been very pleased with it.

1440p BF4 gamer here as well, good luck with the rest of the build. Looks great.

BFFigjam 11-13-2013 06:03 PM

I really love those Asus motherboard covers, falling in love.

Sweet looking build man, keep up the good work thumb.gif

brandon6199 11-13-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrenner87 View Post

Excellent build and documentation thus far!

I upgraded my ram on my x79 platform last week to 32gb of the G. Skill Trident X - 2133, and have been very pleased with it.

1440p BF4 gamer here as well, good luck with the rest of the build. Looks great.

Thank you kind sir thumb.gif I'm a huge fan of these G.SKILL Trident X DDR3-2400 kits as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFFigjam View Post

I really love those Asus motherboard covers, falling in love.

Sweet looking build man, keep up the good work thumb.gif

Let me tell you - it looks even better in person. The "armor" actually feels... like armor. All jokes aside. Unfortunately, I was forced to take off the back-plate for now until I can figure out a way to mod it so that it fits in my Corsair 750D. Perhaps while I'm modding my case to install the custom loop, I'll be able to work something out then.

Also, here's a quick clip I took of Battlefield 4 running at 2560x1440 with all settings on Ultra and 4xMSAA. Although you can't see the FPS, it's generally around 110-130 fps during gameplay.

BFFigjam 11-14-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Let me tell you - it looks even better in person. The "armor" actually feels... like armor. All jokes aside. Unfortunately, I was forced to take off the back-plate for now until I can figure out a way to mod it so that it fits in my Corsair 750D. Perhaps while I'm modding my case to install the custom loop, I'll be able to work something

Now you're making me seriously jealous haha. Someone feel free to send me one to review one day thumb.gif

What is it hitting on making it not fit? :/ I thought the 750D would have plenty of room for it.

hiarc 11-14-2013 04:45 PM

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that it is due to the way the standoffs are implemented. The 750D has built-in standoffs, meaning instead of an actual standoff the section is raised up; like so:

Nice build can't wait to see it underwater. I absolutely love my 750D. biggrin.gif

brandon6199 11-14-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFFigjam View Post

Now you're making me seriously jealous haha. Someone feel free to send me one to review one day thumb.gif

What is it hitting on making it not fit? :/ I thought the 750D would have plenty of room for it.

As hiarc mentioned, the 750D has elevated, built-in standoffs that interfere with the ability to successfully mount an ASUS Maximus VI Formula with it's backplate armor into the actual case.

I actually removed the packplate, but kept the armor on the front of the motherboard by securing it with the screws that were originally used to hold the backplate to the front armor of the motherboard. I'll try to get a closer picture of what I mean the next time I'm working on the case so you can see.

I will be working to find a way to mod the case in a way that allows me to use the backplate as well, hopefully that works out smile.gif

BFFigjam 11-14-2013 06:39 PM

Yeah okay then, sounds good

dota2er 11-16-2013 03:39 AM

Hi, dude. Seems like we have the exactly same plan except cooling system. So could I ask you some question about the build. How many monitor you plan to have? I stick with 3D monitor or 2560*1600 resolution monitor; I am not going to have multi monitors. I usually play many games which is the newest one, and I would like to set them in the highest video setting. So shall I buy 2 780 ti? Also, could you tell me the maximum of watt of my build; so that I could decide which power supply I need. Wish you answering me:D, thanks.

Here is the list I am about to buy:
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131976
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116900
Graphic card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487001
SSD: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W16OU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3LRIU0HEWDPA8&coliid=I2FWYEKN1JXIM5
Hard drive: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VFJ9MK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3LRIU0HEWDPA8&coliid=ICX1IB1KPWLGC
RAM: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EWUO22/ref=oh_details_o07_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CPU cooling: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051U7HMS/ref=oh_details_o07_s04_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

brandon6199 11-16-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dota2er View Post

Hi, dude. Seems like we have the exactly same plan except cooling system. So could I ask you some question about the build. How many monitor you plan to have? I stick with 3D monitor or 2560*1600 resolution monitor; I am not going to have multi monitors. I usually play many games which is the newest one, and I would like to set them in the highest video setting. So shall I buy 2 780 ti? Also, could you tell me the maximum of watt of my build; so that I could decide which power supply I need. Wish you answering me:D, thanks.

Here is the list I am about to buy:
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131976
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116900
Graphic card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487001
SSD: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W16OU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3LRIU0HEWDPA8&coliid=I2FWYEKN1JXIM5
Hard drive: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004VFJ9MK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3LRIU0HEWDPA8&coliid=ICX1IB1KPWLGC
RAM: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EWUO22/ref=oh_details_o07_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CPU cooling: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051U7HMS/ref=oh_details_o07_s04_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hello there,

I'm only going to be using a single ASUS PB278Q 1440p monitor for this build. Some might say that 2 GTX 780 Ti's are overkill for a single 1440p monitor setup. However, I disagree.

On titles such as Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3, when settings are cranked to the absolute maximum at 2560x1440, my SLI setup pushes an average of 120-130 fps. With a single GTX 780 Ti, those numbers would be close to half, meaning I would be getting an average of 60 fps. It all comes down with how much you are willing to spend in order to get the extra performance, but I can tell you that GTX 780 Ti's in SLI scale incredibly well. Check this review for more information on these cards in an SLI setup: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gtx_780_ti_sli_geforce_review,1.html

Also, spend the extra $20 and get the i7-4770k (as it has an unlocked multiplier for over-clocking) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

With your build, and a single GTX 780 Ti, I would go for a quality 750-800 watt PSU, especially if you plan on over-clocking. For an SLI setup, I would recommend a quality 1000+ watt PSU, again especially if over-clocking because these cards have been proven to draw a significant amount of power when pushed to the limit.

I've personally always had great experiences with the Corsair AX series lineup. I've owned an AX850, AX860i, and now an AX1200i. For me, it's worth the extra bucks to have the extra features, modular cables, and 7 year warranty. But there are lots of other quality PSU's out there for less as well.

Hope this helps thumb.gif

dota2er 11-16-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Hello there,

I'm only going to be using a single ASUS PB278Q 1440p monitor for this build. Some might say that 2 GTX 780 Ti's are overkill for a single 1440p monitor setup. However, I disagree.

On titles such as Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3, when settings are cranked to the absolute maximum at 2560x1440, my SLI setup pushes an average of 120-130 fps. With a single GTX 780 Ti, those numbers would be close to half, meaning I would be getting an average of 60 fps. It all comes down with how much you are willing to spend in order to get the extra performance, but I can tell you that GTX 780 Ti's in SLI scale incredibly well. Check this review for more information on these cards in an SLI setup: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gtx_780_ti_sli_geforce_review,1.html

Also, spend the extra $20 and get the i7-4770k (as it has an unlocked multiplier for over-clocking) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

With your build, and a single GTX 780 Ti, I would go for a quality 750-800 watt PSU, especially if you plan on over-clocking. For an SLI setup, I would recommend a quality 1000+ watt PSU, again especially if over-clocking because these cards have been proven to draw a significant amount of power when pushed to the limit.

I've personally always had great experiences with the Corsair AX series lineup. I've owned an AX850, AX860i, and now an AX1200i. For me, it's worth the extra bucks to have the extra features, modular cables, and 7 year warranty. But there are lots of other quality PSU's out there for less as well.

Hope this helps thumb.gif

Yes, it does help a lot. I appreciate. What about water cooling system, is that necessary now? Also, this type of card doesn't have Hydro Copper support now. Why you decide to have water cooling system? In addition, if I have fan cooling, shall I buy a case with side-fan?Which operation system you prefer? windows 7 PRO or windows 8.1 PRO?

Jakewat 11-16-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Yes, it does help a lot. I appreciate. What about water cooling system, is that necessary now? Also, this type of card doesn't have Hydro Copper support now. Why you decide to have water cooling system? In addition, if I have fan cooling, shall I buy a case with side-fan?Which operation system you prefer? windows 7 PRO or windows 8.1 PRO?
Mate, no offence but this is a build log, could you please make a thread or PM someone to ask questions. Although Brandon may not mind answering your questions it is just good courtesy to not spam someone else's log with questions. Sorry If I sound angry, I'm not smile.gif.

BFFigjam 11-17-2013 01:36 AM

Quote:

Mate, no offence but this is a build log, could you please make a thread or PM someone to ask questions. Although Brandon may not mind answering your questions it is just good courtesy to not spam someone else's log with questions. Sorry If I sound angry, I'm not smile.gif.

Well said sir, well said.

dota2er 11-17-2013 02:41 AM

Quote:

If it does interrupt, I'm sorry. I'm just wandering some one have the exactly same build like what I plan to build. I have some trouble with this build, then I cant help to asking some question from him. So sorry for interrupting.

Jakewat 11-17-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

If it does interrupt, I'm sorry. I'm just wandering some one have the exactly same build like what I plan to build. I have some trouble with this build, then I cant help to asking some question from him. So sorry for interrupting.
If you would really like some help make a thread and tell us. Most of the people here are involved with helping brandon decide on his final build and have given him advice to make these decisions.

Also @brandon6199 whats next on the agenda of this build? Is it mainly the W/C stuff that is left, and any word on the 780ti block release?

brandon6199 11-17-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

If you would really like some help make a thread and tell us. Most of the people here are involved with helping brandon decide on his final build and have given him advice to make these decisions.

Also @brandon6199 whats next on the agenda of this build? Is it mainly the W/C stuff that is left, and any word on the 780ti block release?

Not yet...

http://www.ekwb.com/news/412/19/EK-FC-Titan-SE-incompatible-with-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti---EK-FC780-GTX-Ti-in-the-making/

However, I do plan on ordering all of the other parts for my custom loop (rads, fans, pump, res, tubing) hopefully today. I'll be ordering everything except the GTX 780 Ti blocks and the EK-FC bridge.

If anything, I'll be setting up my loop to cool the i7-4770k for a couple weeks until I can throw in the GPU's as well... this stock Intel heatsink is killing me! I want to overclock it so badly.. the most I could get out of it was 4.2 GHz, but then, I was reaching load temps of 90C and quickly reset the OC to stock. tongue.gif

I also plan on working on the aesthetics of the build once it's all said and done. I'm looking to have a black and red color combo, including black compression fittings, clear tubing, red fluid, red LEDs, and the red XSPC Photon 170 res LED as well.

Jakewat 11-17-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Not yet...

http://www.ekwb.com/news/412/19/EK-FC-Titan-SE-incompatible-with-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti---EK-FC780-GTX-Ti-in-the-making/

However, I do plan on ordering all of the other parts for my custom loop (rads, fans, pump, res, tubing) hopefully today. I'll be ordering everything except the GTX 780 Ti blocks and the EK-FC bridge.

If anything, I'll be setting up my loop to cool the i7-4770k for a couple weeks until I can throw in the GPU's as well... this stock Intel heatsink is killing me! I want to overclock it so badly.. the most I could get out of it was 4.2 GHz, but then, I was reaching load temps of 90C and quickly reset the OC to stock. tongue.gif

I also plan on working on the aesthetics of the build once it's all said and done. I'm looking to have a black and red color combo, including black compression fittings, clear tubing, red fluid, red LEDs, and the red XSPC Photon 170 res LED as well.
Sounds good. I know the feel of the stock cooler, still have it on my 4670k until I get the rest of my stuff plus I even have the block for it and some fittings but nothing else frown.gif.
Tell me about the Photon when you get it, I'm really keen on it but am having a dilemma on whether it is big enough/ looks right in my big case. But if I see a pic of it in your case it will give me a good idea of the look, not to many people around using the photon in the way I want to.

Jamaican Reaper 11-17-2013 03:04 PM

Subbed....thumb.gif

A7xConnor 11-17-2013 03:16 PM

Subbed!

The trident ram goes nicely with that board! got a few components I'm considering in my future build.

brandon6199 11-17-2013 09:11 PM

Thanks guys thumb.gif

I went out to the store today and picked up some Corsair SP120 fans. Mounted them on the top of my case to intake cool air. I might end up using these fans for my 360 mm top rad when that comes in...

I apologize for the bad quality images, as well as the lack of proper cable management tongue.gif The way I see it, this case is going to be completely stripped down to pretty much nothing once my watercooling parts come in, so it doesn't really bother me for now redface.gif

IBIubbleTea 11-17-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks guys thumb.gif

I went out to the store today and picked up some Corsair SP120 fans. Mounted them on the top of my case to intake cool air. I might end up using these fans for my 360 mm top rad when that comes in...

I apologize for the bad quality images, as well as the lack of proper cable management tongue.gif The way I see it, this case is going to be completely stripped down to pretty much nothing once my watercooling parts come in, so it doesn't really bother me for now redface.gif

\

Did you get High Performance PWM?

Zhood 11-17-2013 09:19 PM

but can it run Crysis?

brandon6199 11-17-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBIubbleTea View Post

\

Did you get High Performance PWM?

Believe it or not, I got both the High Performance PWM and Quiet Edition PWM (for testing and comparison purposes). The center SP120 is the Quiet Edition PWM, and the outer SP120's are High Performance PWM.

I might be returning the High Performance PWM for the Quiet Edition PWM. Even at low RPM's on the High Performance SP120's, they make a humming sound which I'm not really liking. The Quiet Edition SP120's are... quiet! And they move a decent amount of air and have high static pressure at 1450 RPM. Pretty sure I'm going to stick with 3 of those for my Alphacool 360 mm rad.

Now, if only they made the SP120's in a 140mm variant...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhood View Post

but can it run Crysis?

And yes, actually. It can ph34r-smiley.gif

Zhood 11-17-2013 09:24 PM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:

Believe it or not, I got both the High Performance PWM and Quiet Edition PWM (for testing and comparison purposes). The center SP120 is the Quiet Edition PWM, and the outer SP120's are High Performance PWM.

I might be returning the High Performance PWM for the Quiet Edition PWM. Even at low RPM's on the High Performance SP120's, they make a humming sound which I'm not really liking. The Quiet Edition SP120's are... quiet! And they move a decent amount of air and have high static pressure at 1450 RPM. Pretty sure I'm going to stick with 3 of those for my Alphacool 360 mm rad.

Lol just messing. I kind of wish I still lived with my parents still. If I did I would be able to get SLI 780 ti's and already have my PC underwater, unfortunately life happens. One day though smile.gif

IBIubbleTea 11-17-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Are they actually quiet? lol Sorry but are they? I might get the quiet ones too. I got 1 dual pack High Performance on Saturday, Might return them for something more quieter...

brandon6199 11-17-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Are they actually quiet? lol Sorry but are they? I might get the quiet ones too. I got 1 dual pack High Performance on Saturday, Might return them for something more quieter...

Yes, they are thumb.gif

The High Performance SP120's are too loud. The Quiet Edition SP120's are perfect.

IBIubbleTea 11-17-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Yes, they are thumb.gif

The High Performance SP120's are too loud. The Quiet Edition SP120's are perfect.

Hey try this. Bring your High Performance fans to 40% in Fan Xpert 2 in the cpu area. So about 1904rpm. Compare it with the Quiet. The humming is really quiet..

brandon6199 11-17-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Hey try this. Bring your High Performance fans to 40% in Fan Xpert 2 in the cpu area. So about 1904rpm. Compare it with the Quiet. The humming is really quiet..

I did that. Still was a little too loud for my liking. Although, that may have had to do with the issues I was having with Fan Xpert 2 not being able to control the 4 pin PWM fans that were plugged into my motherboards OPT_1 OPT_2 and OPT_3 ports... I'll do some more testing later this week.

IBIubbleTea 11-17-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

I did that. Still was a little too loud for my liking. Although, that may have had to do with the issues I was having with Fan Xpert 2 not being able to control the 4 pin PWM fans that were plugged into my motherboards OPT_1 OPT_2 and OPT_3 ports... I'll do some more testing later this week.

The opt Cant be controlled by the mobo. Btw did it push more air then the Quiet or what?

JLMS2010 11-18-2013 07:15 PM

I see you are using the UT60 radiator. How much clearance do you have left over after the radiator and fans? After my quick preliminary measurements, it didn't look like it would fit. The XT45 would fit fine though.

brandon6199 11-18-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMS2010 View Post

I see you are using the UT60 radiator. How much clearance do you have left over after the radiator and fans? After my quick preliminary measurements, it didn't look like it would fit. The XT45 would fit fine though.

In regards to the 280mm UT60 that I plan on mounting on the front of the case, that will not be an issue at all. I assume you're referring to the 360mm UT60 radiator I plan on mounting on the top of the case... and yes... you are correct. Either it won't fit, or it's going to be a very very tight fit. For some reason, I'm willing to go ahead and take the chance of ordering the 360mm UT60 and figuring out a way to fit it into my case after the fact... since I'm going to be cooling two hot GTX 780 Ti's and an i7-4770k, I need all the rad space I can get.

If all else fails, I'll just go with the 360mm XT45 though. Still undecided to be honest.

EDIT: After my fair share of research, I decided to go with the 360mm XT45 radiator on top instead. Great recommendation thumb.gif

brandon6199 11-18-2013 11:41 PM

UPDATE: All liquid cooling components (except the GTX 780 Ti blocks) have been ordered thumb.gifsmile.gif

Be sure to stay tuned. There will be lots of pics. This is going to be quite interesting... as it's my first time attempting to set up a custom loop.

Jakewat 11-19-2013 12:16 AM

WAIT, do you realize you bought one compression fitting and two 45 rotaries? or is this some kind of troll?
And what was your decision on the photon as it may look strange if you decided to run it from top to bottom.

JLMS2010 11-19-2013 04:20 AM

Quote:

In regards to the 280mm UT60 that I plan on mounting on the front of the case, that will not be an issue at all. I assume you're referring to the 360mm UT60 radiator I plan on mounting on the top of the case... and yes... you are correct. Either it won't fit, or it's going to be a very very tight fit. For some reason, I'm willing to go ahead and take the chance of ordering the 360mm UT60 and figuring out a way to fit it into my case after the fact... since I'm going to be cooling two hot GTX 780 Ti's and an i7-4770k, I need all the rad space I can get.

If all else fails, I'll just go with the 360mm XT45 though. Still undecided to be honest.

EDIT: After my fair share of research, I decided to go with the 360mm XT45 radiator on top instead. Great recommendation thumb.gif

Yeah, I have 2 780 Classifieds and a 4770K. I would have liked to go with the UT60, but wasn't sure if it would fit. According to the test I've seen, the XT45 dissipates very very close to the same amount as the UT60 around 1400RPM (SP120 Quiet).

Glad to see you went with the XT45! That's the one I'll probably be going with as well.

brandon6199 11-19-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

WAIT, do you realize you bought one compression fitting and two 45 rotaries? or is this some kind of troll?
And what was your decision on the photon as it may look strange if you decided to run it from top to bottom.

doh.gif I don't know why the quantity didn't update! I'm calling them now.

EDIT: 7 more compression fittings ordered, so 8 total thumb.gif Thanks Jakewat redface.gif

Jakewat 11-19-2013 12:48 PM

Always got to check them quantities smile.gif

BFFigjam 11-19-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Always got to check them quantities smile.gif
I think you mis spelt, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quadtitties*

brandon6199 11-26-2013 10:44 PM

UPDATE:

I finally received my water-cooling equipment from FrozenCPU earlier today. The only other components that I am waiting on are my EK-FC GTX 780 Ti Nickel (Original CSQ) blocks as well as my EK dual slot parallel bridge (Original CSQ)

I've decided that I'm going to do without my build for the next several days as I get a chance to familiarize myself with the case and all of the water-cooling equipment, instead of waiting to do it all at once. I can already tell that I'm going to need to make a trip to the hardware store and pick up some extra screws, washers, and some type of anti-vibration material. The goal is to pretty much get my loop 90% complete, so when my GTX 780 Ti blocks arrive, I'll be able to pop them right in and fill up the loop.

Here are some pics thumb.gif

Still have a lot of work to do. As I imagined, mounting the XSPC Photon 170 res/pump combo in my 750D is going to be a challenge... but I'll figure it out somehow smile.gif

I need to grab some 6mm M3 screws with washers in order to mount my top and front radiators to the case without having the screw head fall through the hole of the fan/case, which is what it's doing right now with the included M3 screws.

Also ordered some GTX 780 Ti backplates as well as the EVGA Pro SLI Bridge... those should be arriving tomorrow... just for aesthetics smile.gif

FrozenCPU tells me that they're going to have the GTX 780 Ti blocks in stock sometime early next week... going to check back Friday with them to see how their inventory is going to be looking.

Jakewat 11-26-2013 11:05 PM

Nice gear. It would be nicer if I didn't have to break my neck to look at the pics tonguesmiley.gif

brandon6199 11-26-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Nice gear. It would be nicer if I didn't have to break my neck to look at the pics tonguesmiley.gif

Sorry, fixed tongue.gif

Jakewat 11-26-2013 11:35 PM

Ahhh much better smile.gif
So have you made any plans for a fill/ drain port to make things easier for yourself? Can't wait to see the photon installed so I can make up my mind on mine. Also did you have enough fittings for everthing? I roughly counted that you need ten, including gpu blocks, which I think is how many you got.
Also remember to get de-ionized water instead of distilled water just to be safe, every so often people have problems with dyes and pastels when using distilled.

brandon6199 11-26-2013 11:44 PM

For the fill-port, I'm going to be using the M20 fill-port on the top of the Photon, using a small funnel connected to some tubing, which will allow me to fill the loop while the res is mounted in the case. I'm going to do without a drain port this time around. I already have an idea on how I'm going to be draining my system. Granted, it's not as convenient as having a drain-port, but I'll manage.

And yes, exactly 10 fittings is how many my loop requires. (8 regular fittings, 2 45 degree angle fittings).

I'm absolutely blown away with the build quality of the Photon 170 res. Let me tell you, that thing is much heavier than it looks! It feels extremely solid, well-made, and definitely not cheap. Really glad I picked it up.

Jakewat 11-26-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

I'm absolutely blown away with the build quality of the Photon 170 res. Let me tell you, that thing is much heavier than it looks! It feels extremely solid, well-made, and definitely not cheap. Really glad I picked it up.

That's funny because the photon is my cheapest option. You did buy the combo though, the main reason I am so against that combo is just because XSPC overcharge for it and bought separately it would probably be cheaper. Anyway back to the res itself, I could imagine the weight since it is the only glass tube res I have seen around, the rest being acetal. I also like the idea of that diffused led bar down the centre which should look great with the semi transparent fluid your using.

WilVidz 11-27-2013 10:33 AM

everything looking great man, subbed! thumb.gif

brandon6199 11-27-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilVidz View Post

everything looking great man, subbed! thumb.gif

Thanks!

I'm subbed to your build as well... I check it constantly to see how you end up mounting/setting up your Photon 170 res/pump tongue.gif

The main difference between my loop and yours is that you are using rigid tubing, where as I'm using soft tubing. I'm going to be mounting the Photon near the front 280 mm rad, however, setting up the tubing to link the radiator and the pump is going to be pretty tough... I'm trying to avoid 90 degree fittings at all costs, which is why I purchased 2 45 degree fittings. I hope I can figure something out.

Heading to Home Depot after work today to pick up some hardware thumb.gif

EDIT: Just got my EVGA GTX 780 Ti backplates as well as Pro SLI bridge

thumb.gif

MxPhenom 216 11-27-2013 04:51 PM

Hi there Brandon. I will also be doing a build in the 750D mid December and will run the XT45 360 radiator as well. Do you really think 6mm M3 screws will be long enough to put the radiator at the top without the fans inbetween the casing and rad? I would think you would need like 10mm long or so if you consider the rubber parts in the screw hole and then if you are going to use washers as well?

I don't know, but please update your thread when you have that figured out, as that information will help me immensely.

So far so good on your build. More Pictures! thumb.gif

EDIT: 8mm might be a better length. 10 might get a bit long.

kell0w 11-27-2013 09:41 PM

i have the exact same set up as you, the only thing different is that i have a h100i until my ek blocks get in and imma slap my ek water block on. other than that we have the same case psu, cpu, motherboard, and case biggrin.gif:thumb:

brandon6199 11-28-2013 12:18 AM

Continued... thumb.gif

brandon6199 11-28-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxPhenom 216 View Post

Hi there Brandon. I will also be doing a build in the 750D mid December and will run the XT45 360 radiator as well. Do you really think 6mm M3 screws will be long enough to put the radiator at the top without the fans inbetween the casing and rad? I would think you would need like 10mm long or so if you consider the rubber parts in the screw hole and then if you are going to use washers as well?

I don't know, but please update your thread when you have that figured out, as that information will help me immensely.

So far so good on your build. More Pictures! thumb.gif

EDIT: 8mm might be a better length. 10 might get a bit long.

You are correct. As a matter of fact, I actually went with 12mm M3 screws with 1 lock washer and 2 flat washers per each screw. I was looking for 10mm M3 screws, but the shortest M3 screws Home Depot had were 12mm in length. I went ahead and grabbed the 12mm M3 screws, along with some locking washers and flat washers. See below for pics on how I mounted the XT45 to the top of the 750D. Also, going to paint the washers and screws matte black once I get the chance smile.gif (which is what the can of spray paint is for)

More pictures added as well in the post above thumb.gif

Renairy 11-28-2013 12:49 AM

cant wait to see the finish result of this build applaud.gif

brandon6199 11-28-2013 05:14 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback thumb.gif

Here are some more pics of the EVGA backplates and Lamptron fan controller. Decided to test out the fan controller today. I must say, this Lamptron FC5V3 fan controller is awesome. Well worth the $100 I spent on it. 6 channels, 30W per channel, and excellent build quality. Also has 16 different colors you can change the LCD on the front to match the theme of your build.

Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in the states thumb.gif

BennyK491 11-28-2013 07:10 PM

Just bought a 750D today- planning on drowning my 3570k and 780. I subbed to this build log, I'll be following it very closely for ideas! Looks great so far!

dade_kash_xD 11-29-2013 01:43 PM

I just want the OP to know, I am pretty much copying your entire WC setup. I just want to make this known in light of all the copyright infringement lawsuits going down recently tongue.gif Awesome build man! Can't wait to see it progress! Subbed!

brandon6199 11-29-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dade_kash_xD View Post

I just want the OP to know, I am pretty much copying your entire WC setup. I just want to make this known in light of all the copyright infringement lawsuits going down recently tongue.gif Awesome build man! Can't wait to see it progress! Subbed!

Haha... no worries thumb.gif Thanks for subbing, and thanks the kind words smile.gif

Jamaican Reaper 11-29-2013 05:37 PM

Loving your build so far brandon6199,keep it coming....thumbsupsmiley.png

WilVidz 11-29-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

I'm subbed to your build as well... I check it constantly to see how you end up mounting/setting up your Photon 170 res/pump tongue.gif

The main difference between my loop and yours is that you are using rigid tubing, where as I'm using soft tubing. I'm going to be mounting the Photon near the front 280 mm rad, however, setting up the tubing to link the radiator and the pump is going to be pretty tough... I'm trying to avoid 90 degree fittings at all costs, which is why I purchased 2 45 degree fittings. I hope I can figure something out.

Heading to Home Depot after work today to pick up some hardware thumb.gif

EDIT: Just got my EVGA GTX 780 Ti backplates as well as Pro SLI bridge

thumb.gif

I'm definitely gonna end up mounting it the way it is now, you're lucky you can mount it directly to the chassis. tongue.gif I just did a test loop and filled my system, running with 1 GPU until I get my replacement waterblock. cant live without using my rig for too long. wubsmiley.gif

I suggest not filling the res with a funnel and use a syrnige or a filling bottle insted. I tried with a funnel and the water just stays in the funnel unless you shake the res. thumb.gif

Just got my EVGA Pro bridge the same day too. lol

MxPhenom 216 11-30-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

You are correct. As a matter of fact, I actually went with 12mm M3 screws with 1 lock washer and 2 flat washers per each screw. I was looking for 10mm M3 screws, but the shortest M3 screws Home Depot had were 12mm in length. I went ahead and grabbed the 12mm M3 screws, along with some locking washers and flat washers. See below for pics on how I mounted the XT45 to the top of the 750D. Also, going to paint the washers and screws matte black once I get the chance smile.gif (which is what the can of spray paint is for)

More pictures added as well in the post above thumb.gif

Excellent +rep. Ill pick up some 10mm from FrozenCPU online when I place my order on the block.

Thanks again. Nice work on the build!

Aesthethc 11-30-2013 02:25 AM

Subbed! Nice work on the case.

Going to be attempting my build with this case, bought this for Black Friday super excited how nice it looks especially with two cards. I will be fitting two 360's and one 120mm.

The build is going good for you so far, i am excited to see how yours will turn out in the end! Cheers and good luck thumb.gif

ZippyPinhead 11-30-2013 05:13 AM

I gotta ask, whats up with the poor face plate mounting?

Can't you flush mount the bays?

v1ral 11-30-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyPinhead View Post

I gotta ask, whats up with the poor face plate mounting?

Can't you flush mount the bays?
Its just the way corsair has the bays setup, kind of like the way the 900d and I think the 350d is as well.
Any 5.25 device you put in won't be flush.
I'm not too worried though about that, gives it a 3d look to it.
What I'm worried about is the mounting of the rads and fans,souch extra hardware you have to get just to mount that rad.
Looks good op keep it up.

darwing 11-30-2013 12:15 PM

those 120's seem small up there, can it hold 140's on the radiators?

Jamaican Reaper 11-30-2013 12:24 PM

You can use a 140 rad in the back,but you may have to offset the 360 rad a tad bit to have room....

dade_kash_xD 11-30-2013 12:44 PM

Could we mount a 420mm radiator at the top of the 750D?

Jamaican Reaper 11-30-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dade_kash_xD View Post

Could we mount a 420mm radiator at the top of the 750D?

I have read where people says it can be done with some modding (after they did their measurements),but i'm yet to see anyone do it....biggrin.gif