Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   Playing with my Seiki se39uy04. Got it to do 1440p at 60hz. Playing with other custom stuff. (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1442986-playing-my-seiki-se39uy04-got-do-1440p-60hz-playing-other-custom-stuff.html)

salamachaa 11-15-2013 03:12 PM

MAJOR POST REVISION/REDO

Ok, so here is what is going on with the panel nowadays.

My exact setup is as follows:

i7 2600k
asrock extreme4 z77
r9 290
Catalyst 14.2 beta
16gb of ram
seiki se39uy04

Once I downloaded and installed drivers I used amd pixel patcher to patch the HDMI spec.

I then downloaded Toastyx's custom resolution utility.

BEFORE Adding anything with toasty's CRU I suggest adding the resolution. I don't know the steps on how to do it on NVIDIA. In order to add any resolution into CCC that you want follow these steps:

1. Run regedit with administrative privileges.
2. Navigate to your 2d Driver file path. The path can be found in CCC under information: software. It should be under hkeylocalmachine/system/controlset001/control/class/ (the last part of the path is specific to each driver version).
3. Click on it and double click the reg file titled "DALNonStandardModesBCD2"
4. Edit this file.

The syntax in the file may seem a little confusing. The first four numbers are for the horizontal resolution, the next four numbers are the vertical resolution. The next eight numbers are for color settings that I am not going to get into. The final two numbers are for refresh rate. Leave the refresh rate 00, as this will make windows search for all driver level added refresh rates.

For example, if I wanted to add 3200x1800 I would type:

32 00 18 00 00 00 00 00 00

Regedit will add another line automatically once all fields are populated.

5. NOW YOU CAN ADD THAT RESOLUTION TO CRU. Your TV should accept any signal that is added via the registry at any refresh rate as long as the pixel clock is under 295mhz. I believe this is a firmware limit, but I am not sure. The hardware limit should be 315mhz.

YOU MUST HAVE GPU SCALING OFF FOR THESE CUSTOM RESOLUTIONS. Scaling by the TV varies greatly. For example, 3200x1800 looks better than 1440p for me and waaaayyy better than 1080p. If I change the resolution to 3216x1809 it scales horribly and looks worse than 1080p.

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?

You can change existing resolutions to higher refresh rates as long as the pixel clock is under 295mhz.

Resolutions that are tested and passing a UFO blur test and scale well for me:

3840x2160 @ 33hz
3200x1800 @ 47hz
2560x1440 @ 72hz
1920x1080 @ 125hz

If something doesn't scale well for you:

I'm not lying to you, as ae-?a has pointed out, some seiki 39 inch panels seem to work differently than others. Also make sure you flash your firmware to the 50 inch version. This did improve scaling for me.

My advice: see what looks good on your panel. At the very least, you should be able to get a few more hz out of the panel using this trick. I'm sure other resolutions work fine, I just haven't tested them. If you have something that works well and you think looks good let me know and I'll test them and add it to this OP.

If the 50 inch firmware doesn't work for you, try this custom one made by ae-?a

go4life 11-15-2013 05:54 PM

Since it is a TV, it will not be real 120hz, but rather adding frames to imitate 120hz. I have never in my life heard of a true 120hz TV sadly. So you will probably only get 60hz.

Spartan F8 11-15-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4life View Post

Since it is a TV, it will not be real 120hz, but rather adding frames to imitate 120hz. I have never in my life heard of a true 120hz TV sadly. So you will probably only get 60hz.

The seike 4K TV does [email protected] or [email protected] Also there is the skyworth TV that was able to pass a frameskip test at [email protected] There is also some TVs that overclock to true 120hz when the motion interpolation is turned off.

Sources
https://www.overclock.net/t/1401149/true-120hz-from-pc-to-tv-list-of-tvs-successful-overclocking-of-hdtv-and-plasmas
https://www.overclock.net/t/1403821/pcper-seiki-announces-39-4k-ultra-hdtv-for-700

So they do exist but not really natively. thumb.gif

mdrejhon 11-15-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go4life View Post

Several models manage to support true 120Hz from a computer, but this is usually undocumented.

See this:
HDTV Refresh Rate Overclocking HOWTO: True 120Hz from PC to TV

salamachaa 11-15-2013 11:19 PM

I have thus been unsuccessful in getting 120hz on my tv. I think it is a firmware issue that seiki plans on updating on an indefinate "soon". The 50 inch model does get true 120hz though.

I am just glad to get 1440p at 60hz out of the thing. The TV properly recognizes it once the EDID is forced to it via Toasty's CRU. There just seems to not be any way to get the TV to cooperate in any kind of 120hz at over 720p.

ae-?a 11-17-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamachaa View Post

Hey guys. I have been playing with my Seiki se39uy04. I got it going at 2560x1440 at 60 hz. Proof: http://imgur.com/5MTxfqS

I am going to shoot for other things as well. Anyone know a good test for 120hz?

The Scaler does not handle resolution above 1920x1080 correctly unless you got some newer panel or something.

I have gone into this in detail on hardforum which nobody seemed to believe initially that things are just getting interpolated down to 1080p then upscaled to 4k:

50 inch:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040268394&postcount=590

39 inch:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040274952&postcount=603

Honestly I am surprised that nobody found this horrible scaling so obviously horrible of the several people who said they ran at 1440p and it was 'working' as I do not consider that to be 'working.'
Quote:

I have thus been unsuccessful in getting 120hz on my tv. I think it is a firmware issue that seiki plans on updating on an indefinate "soon". The 50 inch model does get true 120hz though.

I am just glad to get 1440p at 60hz out of the thing. The TV properly recognizes it once the EDID is forced to it via Toasty's CRU. There just seems to not be any way to get the TV to cooperate in any kind of 120hz at over 720p.

My last email from Seiki on the 13th of November was:

I have some movement on our end. Our engineering team says they can address the issue easily, but they would like to get their hands on the test signal that you used to generate the artifact issue. Is this something you can send to us?

(The refresh rate multi-tool which I gave them a link to). Not totally sure why they called it an 'artifact' issue as its a frame drop issue, LOL.

salamachaa 11-17-2013 03:40 PM

I don't know honestly. The panel itself put itself in a 2560x1440p mode that was programmed into it but unreachable by other means. The picture is noticeably sharper than running in 1080p mode. Have you tried flashing your firmware lately? I just flashed it Friday. There are two different firmwares on their site for the same model. The only difference seems to be options it enables in the menu.

ae-?a 11-17-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

I don't know honestly. The panel itself put itself in a 2560x1440p mode that was programmed into it but unreachable by other means. The picture is noticeably sharper than running in 1080p mode. Have you tried flashing your firmware lately? I just flashed it Friday. There are two different firmwares on their site for the same model. The only difference seems to be options it enables in the menu.

Can you take a picture with a camera or something very close to text or something? that should make it pretty obvious...

I am using the one from 08/28 which is the newest one they published. I actually got that one in my correspondents with seiki before they had it on their site. Since the 39 and 50 inch both have this issue I would be amazed if you did not unless its doing video card scaling but then it would only be 30 Hz (not 60).

salamachaa 11-17-2013 04:27 PM

This is a shot from the only camera I have (an htc one). I took the picture directly next to the tv as close as I could get. One is at 1080p and one is 1440p.

IMAG0113.jpg 847k .jpg file

IMAG0112.jpg 821k .jpg file

A little side note:

I tried GPU scaling on and off and it did NOT change the refresh rate. My panel identified it as 2560x1440 60hz both times and blur busters ufo test came up as valid 60hz both times.

salamachaa 11-17-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae-?a View Post

Can you take a picture with a camera or something very close to text or something? that should make it pretty obvious...

I am using the one from 08/28 which is the newest one they published. I actually got that one in my correspondents with seiki before they had it on their site. Since the 39 and 50 inch both have this issue I would be amazed if you did not unless its doing video card scaling but then it would only be 30 Hz (not 60).

Sorry it took me a while to response by the way. I wanted to test 720p 1080p and 1440p to make sure it was not artifacting in any of them. I also wanted to make sure I was getting the correct refresh rate.