Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Submit a Bug Report (https://www.overclock.net/forum/17791-submit-bug-report/)
-   -   [Solved] Sluggishness when composing a post, and problems previewing or submitting a post (https://www.overclock.net/forum/17791-submit-bug-report/1450911-solved-sluggishness-when-composing-post-problems-previewing-submitting-post.html)

Techie007 12-13-2013 07:18 PM

• What happened?

In the last few days (as of December 12), I noticed that my Internet browser starts lagging and hanging when I'm typing a post.  It only affects this website.  Sometimes, I can type a whole sentence and then wait for 10 or more seconds before it will actually appear on the screen.  When it is like this, I also notice that the LAN LED on the computer blinks as I'm typing my post, as if it is sending my keystrokes realtime.  When I stop typing, the LED stops blinking.  At other times, (like right now, as I'm typing this post) it works normally.  When it is behaving sluggishly, almost without fail it gives me the "Are you sure that you want to leave this page?" message when I click [Preview].  When I click [Submit], it says that I've already submitted this form, even if I am clicking it for the first time.  Upon refreshing the page, sometimes I find that an older version of my post was actually posted, which I can then edit.

• Are you able to reproduce this problem consistently?

Not 100%.  While this problem has affected every post I have made in someone else's thread in the last couple of days, it is working perfectly as I type this on the "New Thread" page.  I've even clicked [Preview] a couple of times.

• What steps did you take to reproduce this problem?

Find an interesting (to me) thread, start reading it, click the "Quote" button, and then start typing a response.

• What action did you expect to occur when this bug appeared?

Responsiveness instead of sluggishness.  Previewing my post when I click [Preview] instead of asking if I want to leave the page.  Submitting my post when I click [Submit], instead of saying that I've already submitted this form.

• Any additional information that will help us diagnose the issue:

It has affected every post I have made in the last few days except for this one.  When it asks if I want to leave this page, if I click no, it usually reverts my post (as shown in the editor) to an earlier version, causing me to lose some of my work.  I then copy what is left of my post, go back to the original page, refresh it, click one of the [Reply] buttons, paste my post back into the editor and continue where I left off.  I also notice that when I'm experiencing the problem, that there is a message (and buttons) I haven't seen before, on the bottom of the editor, continually flickering between "Save draft?" and "Saving draft..." as I type.  I have never noticed them before.  I even don't see them now, as I type this, and it is working perfectly.  Also, when it is hanging, Task Manager shows Firefox.exe at 50% CPU usage (this computer has a Core2 Duo CPU).

• Browser, active browser addons, and operating system:

Firefox 25.0.  I am not aware of any recent (as in the last few days) update.
      33 browser addons.  You probably don't want me to list them all.  I sincerely believe it is a new bug on this website.
      Windows Vista SP1.

• URL where the issue occurs:

(Most) any thread on Overclock.net.

EDIT: Now that this has been posted, I am in the thread view and am now editing this post with no difficulty.  I don't know why it is working correctly in this thread and not in any of the other threads I have posted in recently.  In addition, the "Draft" messages and buttons are still not showing up here.

Techie007 12-13-2013 07:33 PM

Having written the above post, I saw that I got a reply in a thread I had posted in.  I went to this URL (via the Subscriptions page), clicked [Reply] on his post, and there the dastardly "Draft" buttons and messages were, under the editor.  It performed very sluggishly.  I did not click the [Preview] button.  The post submitted with no difficulty when I clicked [Submit].

Back on this thread, I clicked the [Reply] button.  I now see the "Discard Draft" button on the left.  I see "Save Draft?" on the right.  Every few seconds it toggles to "Saving..." then "Draft Saved."  I wish it wasn't sending what I type near realtime.  However, on this thread, even with the draft system now working, it is performing acceptably.

tompsonn 12-14-2013 03:52 AM

Its still slow as a grandma on lower power CPUs (such as ARM). Typing is impossible.

Techie007 12-14-2013 03:39 PM

Well, the thing is this website has always been pleasantly fast for me both on navigation and on CPU load until recently, starting several days ago.  I'm convinced that the problem is with the draft system.  When my browser starts hanging, it is saving the draft every time I press a key, instead of every few seconds (which is still ridiculously fast).

CynicalUnicorn 12-15-2013 08:19 AM

Oh good, I'm not the only one. I'm actually not going to correct any mistakes in this post when it inevitably freezes. Tricore 2.1GHz laptop Phenom II here, hi. Signal strength to WiFi router is awesome, nothing intensive is running in the background. 4.6GHz FX-6300 is suffering the same fate too, though its WiFi card isn't as good (yeah, I know, Ethernet, but I really don't want to deal with wiring everything). The worst part is when Firefox freezes for a fraction of a second, goes to the washed-out screen, and then resumes as if nothing ever happened. I wouldn't be too bothered by it if text were only appearing in bursts, but the freezing and dropping every key press (3-5 depending on whether or not my train of though is derailed) is a big issue. No problems on the mobile at all though. Is it the new "Draft Saved" thing that's causing the problems?

Alright, that's annoying: this is the first post in the last few days that hasn't suffered from this issue as you can tell by my impeccable spelling and grammar. Solution: allow us to enable or disable the draft feature and, if enabled, let us set the rate at which it saves.

Chipp 12-15-2013 05:53 PM

In general, with an issue like this, I'd suggest trying to reproduce the issue without your (many) browser addons running. We can sometimes isolate the issue to a particular addon or combination of addons, which makes it vastly more simple to fix (with the caveat that some issues are not going to be fixable - especially with addons like NoScript or others that have the potential to effect script loading). A very easy way to do that is with Firefox Safe Mode.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode

If the issue occurs with no addons, we can be certain it is something strictly related to site / browser interactivity. If it is fixed, then we need to explore which of your specific addons could be causing the problem to appear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

Oh good, I'm not the only one. I'm actually not going to correct any mistakes in this post when it inevitably freezes. Tricore 2.1GHz laptop Phenom II here, hi. Signal strength to WiFi router is awesome, nothing intensive is running in the background. 4.6GHz FX-6300 is suffering the same fate too, though its WiFi card isn't as good (yeah, I know, Ethernet, but I really don't want to deal with wiring everything). The worst part is when Firefox freezes for a fraction of a second, goes to the washed-out screen, and then resumes as if nothing ever happened. I wouldn't be too bothered by it if text were only appearing in bursts, but the freezing and dropping every key press (3-5 depending on whether or not my train of though is derailed) is a big issue. No problems on the mobile at all though. Is it the new "Draft Saved" thing that's causing the problems?

Alright, that's annoying: this is the first post in the last few days that hasn't suffered from this issue as you can tell by my impeccable spelling and grammar. Solution: allow us to enable or disable the draft feature and, if enabled, let us set the rate at which it saves.

Can you please provide browser / OS info? Thanks!

CynicalUnicorn 12-15-2013 06:00 PM

Oh yeah, sorry! Firefox 21, Windows 7 64-bit, and: NoScript (blocking nothing whatsoever on this site), Ghostery (blocking trackers labeled analytics and advertising), AdBlockPlus, and some other things that aren't affecting/can't affect it. I'll give safe mode a shot though.

EDIT: And nothing changed. The momentary freezes never happened, but those are uncommon. Extremely irritating, but uncommon.

TUDJ 12-16-2013 06:02 AM

I'm also having this issue, it looks like it's to do with a (new?) draft feature which seems to save the draft after every single character I type..

Chrome Version 31.0.1650.63 - no addons/extensions
Win 7 SP1 Pro x64

OCN tab usage in Chrome looks fine, cpu/memory doesn't spike when this is happening. Network spikes at 87b/s every second or so whilst typing a post.

Techie007 12-16-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post

In general, with an issue like this, I'd suggest trying to reproduce the issue without your (many) browser addons running. We can sometimes isolate the issue to a particular addon or combination of addons, which makes it vastly more simple to fix (with the caveat that some issues are not going to be fixable - especially with addons like NoScript or others that have the potential to effect script loading). A very easy way to do that is with Firefox Safe Mode.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode

If the issue occurs with no addons, we can be certain it is something strictly related to site / browser interactivity. If it is fixed, then we need to explore which of your specific addons could be causing the problem to appear.

I read your post, and found a thread that I wanted to reply on, clicked reply, and started typing in the editor.  It was extremely sluggish.  So I restarted Firefox in safe mode as you suggested.  Wow—by default Firefox looks ugly like Internet Explorer!  The OCN website also looks bad in safe mode.  It loads with the classic navy-blue background, but then it flickers to a gaudy orange/pictured/distracting background several seconds after the page loads.  Every time I load a new page, the background switches back to navy-blue, and then later, back to the gaudy orange.  Very un-asthetic.  For me, it normally displays with a consistent navy-blue background.  Anyway, in Firefox safe-mode I went right back to the thread linked above, and the sluggish editing behavior was exactly the same. redface.gif

Yet again, on this thread, it is working just fine.  It is saving my draft every few seconds instead of every time I press a key.  Why it works OK on this thread and not any other stumps me.  This is consistent with CynicalUnicorn's post earlier (the last paragraph).

Chipp 12-16-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipp View Post

I read your post, and found a thread that I wanted to reply on, clicked reply, and started typing in the editor.  It was extremely sluggish.  So I restarted Firefox in safe mode as you suggested.  Wow—by default Firefox looks ugly like Internet Explorer!  The OCN website also looks bad in safe mode.  It loads with the classic navy-blue background, but then it flickers to a gaudy orange/pictured/distracting background several seconds after the page loads.  Every time I load a new page, the background switches back to navy-blue, and then later, back to the gaudy orange.  Very un-asthetic.  For me, it normally displays with a consistent navy-blue background.  Anyway, in Firefox safe-mode I went right back to the thread linked above, and the sluggish editing behavior was exactly the same. redface.gif

Yet again, on this thread, it is working just fine.  It is saving my draft every few seconds instead of every time I press a key.  Why it works OK on this thread and not any other stumps me.  This is consistent with CynicalUnicorn's post earlier (the last paragraph).

Thanks for confirming in Safe Mode. We've determined there are two issues at play here - our release notes suggested the saves would occur 3 seconds after typing stopped, when in actuality saves (when working as designed) are occurring 3 seconds after any content change, regardless of whether or not you are still typing at the 3 second mark. In effect, this means that while you are typing, autosaves happen every 3 seconds no matter what. This effects everybody, and was a miscommunication of the spec for this feature.

In parallel, a small number of users are experiencing an issue where saves occur far more frequently than every 3 seconds (though we don't think it is quite as frequently as every keypress). This is a bug, and we are investigating currently.