Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   Dell P2414H: AH-IPS - PWM free - light AG coating - 1080p (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1452897-dell-p2414h-ah-ips-pwm-free-light-ag-coating-1080p.html)

melodystyle2003 12-21-2013 11:19 AM

Dell P2414H
Product page

Specification and Features
"Widescreen Full HD display with vivid clarity and a number of comfort and connectivity features that help speed production."

Reviews

TFT central - "The Dell P2414H was a positive upgrade to the P series of screens. The move to the very popular IPS panel technology is a great move by Dell, and it can now offer some excellent all-round performance as a result. The technology brings wider viewing angles and more stable colours compared with alternative TN Film panels which have been used before. Readers will also be pleased that the move to IPS has not cut any corners, and the AG coating is nice and light and not overly grainy like older generations. The use of a flicker free backlight is also a positive result which we're sure will attract potential buyers. Dell have also avoided cutting corners with the stand and connectivity on the most part, with a wide range of easy to use ergonomics available. The only things we would have liked to see included were an HDMI port and maybe USB 3.0 really."

PCMONITORS - "The Dell P2414H puts LG’s latest 23.8” AH-IPS panel to excellent use. The P2414H does not use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to moderate backlight brightness and instead uses DC (Direct Current) modulation. The monitor is therefore considered to have a ‘flicker free’ backlight, which will be welcome news for some individuals who suffer visual discomfort from monitors using PWM-regulated backlights. The colour performance was also pleasing with pretty good results straight from the box. Following a few minor tweaks in the OSD you were greeted with a rich and varied image that makes for very enjoyable gaming and general computing. Given the excellent all-round performance and appealing price this is certainly a model we recommend considering."

Gallery Gallery (Click to show)

ISO 800 exposure -2

Overclock guide to 80Hz Overclock guide (Click to show)

Use displayport connection.
In windows 8.1:
Press Win + R and type: CustomModeApp
Set accordingly:
Horizontal Active: 1920
Horizontal Front Porch: 30
Horizontal Sync Width: 40
Horizontal Back Porch: 45
Horizontal Total: 2035
Horizontal Sync: +

Vertical Active: 1080
Vertical Front Porch: 3
Vertical Sync Width: 4
Vertical Back Porch: 5
Vertical Total: 1092
Vertical Sync: +

80Hz no frame skipping

Color profile setup, brightness and contrast Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have set brightness to 34 and contrast to 65 (60 for low light conditions, 65 for normal 75 for very bright conditions)
Color format 'RGB'
Preset mode to 'Custom preset' with
Red: 93
Green: 96
Blue: 99

More to add soon.

Feel free to ask about this monitor, write your comments and your guides!

Nowyn 12-21-2013 11:25 AM

Interesting. I guess I'll be trying out that overclock on mine.

idi0t 12-21-2013 11:58 AM

if you have an amd vga, they must download and use http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU add new with the same settings and place indicated here, then reboot (only with display port !!!)

tpi2007 12-21-2013 12:18 PM

Nice! Rep+

How's gaming on it ? Any noticeable lag ?

It has officially 8ms response time, but it should do well as the display lag is actually quite good, at 5.5ms according to TFT Central's review.

melodystyle2003 12-21-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowyn View Post

Interesting. I guess I'll be trying out that overclock on mine.
Lets us know with your findings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idi0t View Post

if you have an amd card, they must use http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU the same settings and place indicated here, then reboot
If you can please be more descriptive, post a screenshot will help other amd owners i guess smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

Nice! Rep+

How's gaming on it ? Any noticeable lag ?

It has officially 8ms response time, but it should do well as the display lag is actually quite good, at 5.5ms according to TFT Central's review.
Thanks smile.gif
I have not noticed any lag and i do play multiplayer fps games. I am really surprised by the fact of how relaxed my eyes are when reading large texts comparing to my previous dell ips monitor. I strongly suggest it especially to its price range is a winner.

melodystyle2003 12-22-2013 03:19 AM

Pictures, form, settings are added. Feel free to participate and complete the form smile.gif

bk7794 12-22-2013 07:29 AM

Hello, I was suggested this monitor by another OCN member to replace my Asus VE228 monitor. I have a dual monitor setup with another 19inch dell sitting right next to it. I noticed that the Dell is much more pleasurable to look at than the Asus. I have the whole story here https://www.overclock.net/t/1452178/what-should-i-do-about-eye-strain-issues just in caseyou want some back details.

I was wondering how comfortable is this monitor at its native resolution for reading long amounts of time? Also compared to a flicker monitor, is it noticeably comfortable? I fear spending 260+ dollars on this monitor won't yield me any upgrades except a smaller wallet.

melodystyle2003 12-22-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk7794 View Post

Hello, I was suggested this monitor by another OCN member to replace my Asus VE228 monitor. I have a dual monitor setup with another 19inch dell sitting right next to it. I noticed that the Dell is much more pleasurable to look at than the Asus. I have the whole story here https://www.overclock.net/t/1452178/what-should-i-do-about-eye-strain-issues just in caseyou want some back details.

I was wondering how comfortable is this monitor at its native resolution for reading long amounts of time? Also compared to a flicker monitor, is it noticeably comfortable? I fear spending 260+ dollars on this monitor won't yield me any upgrades except a smaller wallet.

I had eye strain, dizziness in a huge degree since i read a lot everyday, large texts, graphs new and old type pdfs. The oculist found none physical problem and after a long talk he claimed that fatigue from monitor reading is the cause.
I took this monitor cause i read that pwm free monitors are more comfortable on reading. I must admit that this is so true. I catch my self reading text from 20cm from the screen and i wonder why my eyes don't complain...I owned another dell ips monitor before this, so this big difference cant be from something else. By the time you connect the monitor and read a text you feel the difference.
Don't get me wrong, for sure others monitors will offer same or even better reading experience, but on that price range my experience only can say that this monitor is read comfortable. Of course i do continue small time breaks for eye relaxing and still use eye drops with uv filter.

bk7794 12-22-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodystyle2003 View Post

I had eye strain, dizziness in a huge degree since i read a lot everyday, large texts, graphs new and old type pdfs. The oculist found none physical problem and after a long talk he claimed that fatigue from monitor reading is the cause.
I took this monitor cause i read that pwm free monitors are more comfortable on reading. I must admit that this is so true. I catch my self reading text from 20cm from the screen and i wonder why my eyes don't complain...I owned another dell ips monitor before this, so this big difference cant be from something else. By the time you connect the monitor and read a text you feel the difference.
Don't get me wrong, for sure others monitors will offer same or even better reading experience, but on that price range my experience only can say that this monitor is read comfortable. Of course i do continue small time breaks for eye relaxing and still use eye drops with uv filter.

That is very good to know. I do a lot of close up stuff at work and then I used to come home and read online for about another 6 or so hours after that. I now have this problem where I can't really focus too long with my contacts. I then started to notice that my Dell monitor is much more soothing to look at than this, even when I matched the cool color that the Dell puts out. I can find it online for about 225 now, you thinking that it is worth it?

geoxile 12-22-2013 08:45 AM

So how is this different from the U2414H? And has anyone noticed any cross-hatching due to the AG?/