Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Builds, Logs & Case Mods (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/)
-   -   [BUILD LOG] DEFCON-3: AN EPIC MILITARY MOD COMPLETED!!!! (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/1462622-build-log-defcon-3-epic-military-mod-completed.html)

Jolly Roger 01-27-2014 04:50 PM

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 95

DEFCON-3

(From Wikipedia)

Codename: ROUND HOUSE

The defense readiness condition (DEFCON) is an alert state
 used by the United States Armed Forces. The DEFCON system was developed by the Joint Chiefs of Staff
 and unified and specified combatant commands It prescribes five graduated levels of readiness (or states of alert) for the US military, and increase in severity from DEFCON 5 (least severe) to DEFCON 1 (most severe) to match varying military situations. 

CHASSIS: Cooler Master Storm-TROOPER

Inspiration: United States Armed forces, the second amendment to the United State's Constitution, and to all those who have, do, and will serve for the cause of freedom all over the world.

Vision: The mod will incorporate a military theme that is not restricted to any one branch of the military. It will be very detailed and will feature military insignia, weapons, colors, and other motifs. 

Features: The mod will feature custom side windows, a replica Browning M1919 mounted to the top of the case via picatinney rail, fully customized LED lighting in two colors with wireless remote control, real military insignia, plasma cut designs, digital camo patterns, military minded components, air-craft style switches, and miniature aircraft models.

Jolly Roger 01-27-2014 04:50 PM

CLICK HERE FOR FINAL PICTURES

or keep scrolling to see how I did it. 

Jolly Roger 01-27-2014 04:51 PM

The TROOPER is a good looking case to begin with, but it needs a few adjustments. Nothing the plasma cutter can't take care of. :thumbsups

First a couple windows:

Then an M16 silhouette:

Then a little custom lettering:

Edges an corners needed a lot of work with a dremel after the cutter was done with them. Here they are finished:

Now it's time for their new look; truck bed liner.

Turned out pretty good. I wanted the coat to be rough and uneven as possible.

The black wire grilles are about to get a make-over:

CAMO!!!

While we're at it we might as well get rid of that rear grille.

And borrow a little black fingernail polish to touch it up.

Time to shoot my case:

Trying to decide where to put the holes. ;)

I had originally planned on using the .40SW pictured, but at the last minute, my father, who is a ballistics expert, warned me that the .40SW is too large and too slow to make a good looking hole. After doing some test shots on some other metal I saw that he was right. The .40 SW tore it to pieces.

So plan B: the classic .223. And it worked like a charm. 

Unfortunately I do not have video of the event, but the results are here. I did not want to risk shooting from a distance and missing the marks so I shot at very close range. The escaping gases at the muzzle bent the panel out of shape a bit, but I was able to bend it back no problem. Also, the blasts took off chips of paint, but that just adds to the effect. 

Those new windows need glass. 

New toy from Christmas

And clips that are usually used in the automotive field to hold them in.

Paint one side of the plexi-glass.....

Then stick it on paint side in.

Forgot to mention the sniper rifle silhouette that I cut on the bottom left.

This plexiglass sheet will be mounted with magnets as stand-offs, just behind the lettering cut outs on the side panel...

Epoxy holds the magnets on.

A rough crinkled effect.

I'm going to take a break from the case mod for a bit and focus on a hardware mod for this post.

What do you do when you get a brand new heat sink in the mail?

(Prettiest base I've ever seen.)

...well you naturally head to the gun range right?

I need brass.

Or more accurately, nickel-plated brass...

Polish them up and epoxy holds them on nicely.

The Silver-Arrow Bullet Mod. :sniper:

Beakz 01-28-2014 10:19 AM

Wow. Just wow. Subbed. 100%

Jj333 33 01-28-2014 10:26 AM

Looking very nice so far! Subbed.