Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Air Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/)
-   -   Noctua NH-D15 Club (https://www.overclock.net/forum/246-air-cooling/1480717-noctua-nh-d15-club.html)

Capt 04-09-2014 11:27 AM

noctua_logo_300_300px.jpg

Welcome to the Noctua NH-D15 Club!

Built on the basis of the legendary NH-D14 and carrying on its quest for ultimate quiet cooling performance, Noctua’s flagship model NH-D15 is an elite-class dual tower cooler for the highest demands. Its expanded heatpipe layout and two premium grade NF-A15 140mm fans with PWM support for automatic speed control allow it to further improve the NH-D14’s award-winning efficiency. Topped off with the trusted, pro-grade SecuFirm2™ multi-socket mounting system, Noctua’s proven NT-H1 thermal compound and full 6 years manufacturer’s warranty, the NH-D15 forms a complete premium quality solution that represents a deluxe choice for overclockers and silent-enthusiasts alike.

About Noctua
Designed in Austria, Noctua's premium cooling components are internationally renowned for their superb quietness, exceptional performance and thoroughgoing quality. Having received more than 3000 awards and recommendations from leading hardware websites and magazines, Noctua's fans and heatsinks are chosen by more than a hundred thousand satisfied customers around the globe.

Noctua's Website

Noctua NH-D15 Reviews Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Noctua NH-D15 Specifications Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Code:
Socket compatibility         Intel LGA2011 (Square ILM), LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA1150 & AMD AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM1, FM2, FM2+ (backplate required)
Height (without fan)            165 mm
Width (without fan)             150 mm
Depth (without fan)             135 mm
Height (with fan)               165 mm
Width (with fan)                150 mm
Depth (with fan)                161 mm
Weight (without fan)            1000 g
Weight (with fan)               1320 g
Material                Copper (base and heat-pipes), aluminium (cooling fins), soldered joints & nickel plating
Fan compatibility               140x150x25 (with 120mm mounting holes), 140x140x25 (with 120mm mounting holes), 120x120x25
Scope of Delivery               
2x NF-A15 PWM premium fan
2x Low-Noise Adaptor (L.N.A.)
Y-cable
NT-H1 high-grade thermal compound
SecuFirm2™ Mounting Kit
Noctua Metal Case-Badge
Warranty                6 Years 

Fan Specifications
Fan specifications               
Model           2x Noctua NF-A15 PWM
Bearing         SSO2
Max. Rotational Speed (+/- 10%)         1500 RPM
Max. Rotational Speed with L.N.A. (+/- 10%)             1200 RPM
Min. Rotational Speed (PWM, +/-20%)             300 RPM
Max. Airflow            140,2 m³/h
Max. Airflow with L.N.A.                115,5 m³/h
Max. Acoustical Noise           24,6 dB(A)
Max. Acoustical Noise with L.N.A.               19,2 dB(A)
Input Power             1,56 W
Voltage Range           12 V
MTBF            > 150.000 h

Noctua NH-D15 Pricing and availability Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The NH-D15 will be available by mid-April at suggested retail prices of EUR 89.90 / USD 99.90.

How To Join The Club Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
To join this club simply post a pic of your NH-D15 in this thread and I will add you to the list. You are also welcome to post any pics of your rig with the NH-D15 installed so we could see how it fits in your case and if it touches the first PCIe slot of your mobo. Don't double post and keep quoted pics with the spoiler tag so it doesn't get messy.




noctua_nh_d15_1.jpg

noctua_nh_d15_4.jpg

Capt 04-09-2014 11:28 AM

Members:

 

 

 

Signature:

 

[OCN] Noctua NH-D15 Club

 

[URL=https://www.overclock.net/t/1480717/official-noctua-nh-d15-club/0_30][OCN] Noctua NH-D15 Club[/URL]

Capt 04-09-2014 11:31 AM

reserved for future stuff. biggrin.gif

mav451 04-09-2014 12:26 PM

Haha here I am Googling for a update on the price (because of Robilar's post about 50mins ago) and then I stumble on this.

doyll 04-09-2014 01:21 PM

ehume started a thread yesterday.. like over 30 hours ago.. for NH-D15.
www.overclock.net/t/1480290/nh-d15/0_20
You even posted on it. What's this one all about? rolleyes.gif
https://www.overclock.net/t/1480290/nh-d15/0_20#post_22082242
Now you use [Offical] rolleyes.gif and start another one. On what authority do you make this one more "official" than ehume's ???
Hopefully a mod will merge this one into ehume's. tongue.gif

Capt 04-09-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

ehume started a thread yesterday.. like over 30 hours ago.. for NH-D15.
www.overclock.net/t/1480290/nh-d15/0_20
You even posted on it. What's this one all about? rolleyes.gif
https://www.overclock.net/t/1480290/nh-d15/0_20#post_22082242
Now you use [Offical] rolleyes.gif and start another one. On what authority do you make this one more "official" than ehume's ???
Hopefully a mod will merge this one into ehume's. tongue.gif


That thread is more of an announcement of the NH-D15. This thread on the other hand will be the official club of the NH-D15.


ehume 04-09-2014 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

ehume started a thread yesterday.. like over 30 hours ago.. for NH-D15.
www.overclock.net/t/1480290/nh-d15/0_20
You even posted on it. What's this one all about? rolleyes.gif
https://www.overclock.net/t/1480290/nh-d15/0_20#post_22082242
Now you use [Offical] rolleyes.gif and start another one. On what authority do you make this one more "official" than ehume's ???
Hopefully a mod will merge this one into ehume's. tongue.gif


That thread is more of an announcement of the NH-D15. This thread on the other hand will be the official club of the NH-D15.


Yeah. I agree with that.


doyll 04-10-2014 02:44 AM

I stand corrected.

Capt, please accept my apology for jumping at you the way I did.

Capt 04-10-2014 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post


Yeah. I agree with that.

Cool! thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

I stand corrected.

Capt, please accept my apology for jumping at you the way I did.

It's all cool! thumb.gif

Devotii 04-10-2014 10:01 AM

Gosh that thing is a beast!!

doyll 04-10-2014 01:16 PM

It definitely is bigger.
Specification differences:
NH-D15(with fans) = 165x150x161mm(H,W,D), 1320g, 2x NF-A15 PWM 1500rpm 140,2 m³/h 24.6dBA
NH-D14(with fans) = 160x140x151mm(), 1070g, NF-P14 / NF-P12 1200/1300rpm 110,3 / 92,3 m³/h 19,6 / 19,8dB(A

NH-D15 is 5x10x10mm bigger; 250g heavier; 200/300rpm faster; 40m³/h more air (guessing) and is almost 5dBA louder at full speed

There are 2 NF-A15 fans;
The 1500rpm version supplied with coolers.
And the 1200rpm one we can buy.
Deepor found this in NH-U14S manual there are two versions of A15
Quote:
Please note that while the NF-A15 fan included with NH-U14S runs at 1500rpm, Noctua recommends using the standard 1200rpm retal version as a rear fan in push/pull mode as the combination of 1500rpm at front and 1200rpm at the rear will provide the best balance of performance and acoustics.

If you would like to run both fans at same speed, please use the supplied Low-Noise Adaptor on the front fan to reduce the speed to 1200rpm.
See here, second page, middle column; "Adding a second fan": http://noctua.at/pdf/manuals/noctua_nh_u14s_manual_en.pdf

Chunky_Chimp 04-10-2014 02:06 PM

Please note that clubs and threads in general can't be made official unless approved by staff; since this section still has no specific Editor, it falls on mega_option101 to decide.

Capt 04-10-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post

Please note that clubs and threads in general can't be made official unless approved by staff; since this section still has no specific Editor, it falls on mega_option101 to decide.

Ah, my bad, didn't know.

doyll 04-10-2014 05:09 PM

[Official] is really a joke. Fractal Design Case Club thread has over 11,000 post and is not [Official] rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

BoredErica 04-12-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

[Official] is really a joke. Fractal Design Case Club thread has over 11,000 post and is not [Official] rolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif

The [Official] Haswell thread is dead and the original post stopped updating BEFORE Haswell came out. My thread has 12,000+. Go figure. ;)

 

I want to see D15 reviews and I want to see them now! NOW!!!! :mad:


Micko 04-12-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Specification differences:
NH-D15(with fans) = 165x150x161mm(H,W,D), 1320g, 2x NF-A15 PWM 1500rpm 140,2 m³/h 24.6dBA
NH-D14(with fans) = 160x140x151mm(), 1070g, NF-P14 / NF-P12 1200/1300rpm 110,3 / 92,3 m³/h 19,6 / 19,8dB(A

NH-D15 is 5x10x10mm bigger; 250g heavier; 200/300rpm faster; 40m³/h more air (guessing) and is almost 5dBA louder at full speed


Doyll can you give us a rough estimate of delta t we can expect between NH-D14 and NH-D15 ? Thanks.

mam72 04-12-2014 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micko View Post

Doyll can you give us a rough estimate of delta t we can expect between NH-D14 and NH-D15 ? Thanks.

The D15 around 1-5°C cooler, This Is An Estimate.

Capt 04-12-2014 01:24 PM

In my opinion, maybe 2-3c cooler under load compared to the NH-D14.

doyll 04-12-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micko View Post

Doyll can you give us a rough estimate of delta t we can expect between NH-D14 and NH-D15 ? Thanks.
I would guess it will perform better but really don't want to guess. Hopefully some will be reviewed soon.

doyll 04-15-2014 06:28 PM

First review of NH-D15
http://www.modders-inc.com/noctua-nh-d15-dual-tower-cpu-cooler-review/
Very similar performance to PH-TC14PE even though NH-D15 uses 1500rpm 82.52cfm NF-A15 Premium fans compared to first generation PH-TC14PE using 1300rpm 78.1cfm PH-F140TS fans. Current PH-TC14PE coolers come with 1300rpm 88.6cfm PH-F140HP fans. Assuming this review is accurate, with improved PH-F140HP fans now used on PH-TC14PE, it should easily be equal to, maybe even slightly better than NH-D15.

Capt 04-15-2014 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

First review of NH-D15
http://www.modders-inc.com/noctua-nh-d15-dual-tower-cpu-cooler-review/
Very similar performance to PH-TC14PE even though NH-D15 uses 1500rpm 82.52cfm NF-A15 Premium fans compared to first generation PH-TC14PE using 1300rpm 78.1cfm PH-F140TS fans. Current PH-TC14PE coolers come with 1300rpm 88.6cfm PH-F140HP fans. Assuming this review is accurate, with improved PH-F140HP fans now used on PH-TC14PE, it should easily be equal to, maybe even slightly better than NH-D15.

I added the review to the list. thumb.gif

Just what I thought, it's only a few Celsius better than the NH-D14 under load. I would still like to see some reviews from more popular websites before deciding if it's worth upgrading.

doyll 04-16-2014 04:15 AM

I will be surprised if there is even 2-3c difference between NH-D14 & NH-D15 using same fans.

Capt 04-16-2014 05:34 AM

Yeah, the differences in temp between them is very little. I just had high hopes for the D15 and now I'm disappointed to see it's only 2-3c better. Hopefully the D15 will force the D14 to come down on price and I think it'd be cheaper to get a NH-D14 and just buy two NF-A15s instead.

BoredErica 04-16-2014 05:50 AM

Why does the Noctua U14s have lower temps than the 14D, lol. (In the review)


deepor 04-16-2014 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post

Why does the Noctua U14s have lower temps than the 14D, lol. (In the review)

Its single fan is great and comparing the amount of metal in the two coolers, there's not that big a difference and both have six heat-pipes. They might also have learned about something smart to do for the U14S design or its manufacturing in the years between D14 release and U14S release.

BoredErica 04-16-2014 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepor View Post


Its single fan is great and comparing the amount of metal in the two coolers, there's not that big a difference and both have six heat-pipes. They might also have learned about something smart to do for the U14S design or its manufacturing in the years between D14 release and U14S release.

Still seems insane that a little cooler like that is beating my huge D14.

 

My head hurts. :mad:


deepor 04-16-2014 06:00 AM

It's a bit wider and a bit higher. tongue.gif

Capt 04-16-2014 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwizzie View Post

Still seems insane that a little cooler like that is beating my huge D14.

My head hurts. mad.gif

The U14S is much better than the D14 for a variety of reasons. It has more fins and way better fan. You can see the review here that talks about fins and fin thickness etc.

doyll 04-16-2014 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post

The U14S is much better than the D14 for a variety of reasons. It has more fins and way better fan. You can see the review here that talks about fins and fin thickness etc.
Physical measurements are fine and good, but when it's all said and done and they fired up their test systgem the D14was 2c better than U14S w/ 2 fans and 6c better than U14S with single fan.

Capt 04-16-2014 08:12 AM

@doyll

That's true but in my opinion the U14S is the winner for one major reason. Keep this in mind, the D14 is a dual tower while the U14S is a single tower cooler that has the same performance as the D14 while being significantly smaller and weighing less. It's smarter to buy a second fan for the U14S than buy that monster of D14 that takes up too much space. I'd take the size of the U14S over the size of the D14 just because of the size and weight.

deepor 04-16-2014 08:20 AM

There are situations where the D14 will work but U14S won't fit, for example on an mATX board with the graphics card in the closest slot to the CPU socket and on an ITX board with graphics card. It also works alright without front fan (I'm using it like that).

doyll 04-16-2014 08:29 AM

NH-U14S = 165x150x52 mm costs abut $65-70.00 with poo brown fan and can't cool as good as NH-D14 SE2011
TS140P = 171x155x53.4mm costs about $55.00 with pretty black and white fan and performs as good as NH-D14 SE2011


No! It's 0.3c warmer. frown.gif

But it's 2.5dBA quieter! biggrin.gif
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), default quality

But back to the NH-D15. Sure would be nice to see more reviews. rolleyes.gif

Capt 04-16-2014 08:38 AM

The discussion started with the U14S vs D14 so out of those two, I'd take the U14S for the reasons I stated above. I know there are better coolers out there than the D14/U14S that are far cheaper but I was specifically comparing the U14S against the D14.

doyll 04-16-2014 08:44 AM

Okay. I was specifically comparing them both against the TRUE Spirit 140 Power. tongue.gif

But seriously, the NH-U14S is a very nice cooler. thumb.gif

Capt 04-16-2014 08:52 AM

Here's a second review. Updated OP!

noctua-nh-d15-performance-overclocked.png

noctua-nh-d15-performance-cooling-mark1.png

ohhgourami 04-16-2014 09:43 PM

Anyone know when we can buy one? Looks like NCIX has it posted but says shipping in 1-2 weeks which we already know. Who will be the first to carry?

rpjkw11 04-17-2014 06:03 AM

Modders, inc. had a nice review yesterday. I came away with the impression that money spent upgrading from my DH14 and Phanteks TC14 could be better spent elsewhere. I'm NOT knocking the new DH15. Upgrading from just about any other air cooler would be worthwhile. I'm a big Noctua fan (no pun intended) and the only reason I'm using Phanteks is because I decided to go with a color scheme, blue in my case, just to try my hand at sleeving cables. BTW, never again; I'll buy them ready sleeved next time. But the single color idea is a good one as evidenced by so many creative enthusiasts.

I do, however, want to buy one of these coolers anyway.

Capt 04-17-2014 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

Anyone know when we can buy one? Looks like NCIX has it posted but says shipping in 1-2 weeks which we already know. Who will be the first to carry?

I'm waiting for Amazon to start selling it because I have a $200 gift card on it. biggrin.gif

BeAuMaN 04-17-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

Anyone know when we can buy one? Looks like NCIX has it posted but says shipping in 1-2 weeks which we already know. Who will be the first to carry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post

I'm waiting for Amazon to start selling it because I have a $200 gift card on it. biggrin.gif

You won't have to wait long... they're physically within the Amazon warehouses right now, and should be listed this week (via Fulfillment by Amazon).

Capt 04-17-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuMaN View Post


You won't have to wait long... they're physically within the Amazon warehouses right now, and should be listed this week (via Fulfillment by Amazon).

You just created an account to say that? Damn, that's nice! thumb.gif

ohhgourami 04-17-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuMaN View Post


You won't have to wait long... they're physically within the Amazon warehouses right now, and should be listed this week (via Fulfillment by Amazon).
Very good insight! Rep to you.

BeAuMaN 04-17-2014 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post

You just created an account to say that? Damn, that's nice! thumb.gif

Well, I was following the status of this cooler. I'm building my PC this week, and I had ordered a NH-D14 from Amazon originally, though they sent me a NH-U9B SE2 by accident. Instead of simply returning it, I decided to call the Amazon Fulfillment vendor directly... and asked them about the NH-D15, since I had to return my cooler anyway, and they said it was already in the warehouse, just waiting to be listed.

Anyhow, I lurk here plenty, so I thought I'd pass this along to others that have been waiting in anticipation smile.gif. Amazon will be upgrading my order for it to 1-day shipping, so I still may be able to finish this computer by the end of the week, depending on when they list it. Else I'll just toss the stock cooler on and install next weekend.

BoredErica 04-17-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuMaN View Post


Well, I was following the status of this cooler. I'm building my PC this week, and I had ordered a NH-D14 from Amazon originally, though they sent me a NH-U9B SE2 by accident. Instead of simply returning it, I decided to call the Amazon Fulfillment vendor directly... and asked them about the NH-D15, since I had to return my cooler anyway, and they said it was already in the warehouse, just waiting to be listed.

Anyhow, I lurk here plenty, so I thought I'd pass this along to others that have been waiting in anticipation smile.gif. Amazon will be upgrading my order for it to 1-day shipping, so I still may be able to finish this computer by the end of the week, depending on when they list it. Else I'll just toss the stock cooler on and install next weekend.

I thought you were like an Amazon insider or something. :D


Capt 04-18-2014 12:33 PM

I found another review. Use Google Translate because it's not in English.

http://www.mod-your-case.de/index.php?forum2-showposts2-508

load.png

doyll 04-18-2014 01:30 PM

So the NH-D15 isn't any cooler than other top cooler but is quieter.

ehume 04-18-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

So the NH-D15 isn't any cooler than other top cooler but is quieter.


It ought to be quieter -- the A15 is quieter than the P14 while putting out the same airflow (115.5 m³/h for A15, 110.3 for the P14). The blades ought to give it higher static pressure, as well.

 

Is it worth $10 more? Dunno.

 

Can you get your D14 to perform like a D15? Yes -- buy two NF-A15's and make sure your RAM is low profile.


ohhgourami 04-18-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post


It ought to be quieter -- the A15 is quieter than the P14 while putting out the same airflow (115.5 m³/h for A15, 110.3 for the P14). The blades ought to give it higher static pressure, as well.

Is it worth $10 more? Dunno.

Can you get your D14 to perform like a D15? Yes -- buy two NF-A15's and make sure your RAM is low profile.
I guess I'll be the one to do the comparison then. The D15 just has to be released though...

Capt 04-19-2014 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

I guess I'll be the one to do the comparison then. The D15 just has to be released though...

I can't wait, my $200 Amazon gift card waits patiently by my side. biggrin.gif

doyll 04-19-2014 04:23 AM

ChipLoco review is out. Again no big deal. 0.6c cooler than 14PE which has PH-F140TS 1200rpm fans.


http://www.chiploco.com/noctua-nh-d15-review-33440/5/

They changed test systems last year. Original 14PE testing 17/05/12 was on i7 [email protected] and NH-D15 is on [email protected] .5GHz. Can't find anything about retesting on new system. No idea how the 14PE.

14PE and NH-D14 are 3c different at 28c ambient in original review while above they are 6.1c different.
http://www.chiploco.com/phanteks-ph-tc14pe-cpu-cooler-review-12761/6/

BeAuMaN 04-19-2014 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

I guess I'll be the one to do the comparison then. The D15 just has to be released though...

I keep wondering what's taking so long. They put up the basic sales page a couple days ago iirc, yet it's still not in stock:
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm-NH-D15/dp/B00JJY25NI/ref=gfix-submit-correction-product-detail


Refreshing has yielded no results thus far wink.gif

doyll 04-19-2014 10:18 AM

Maybe they didn't want orders to pile up over Easter break?

Capt 04-19-2014 11:26 AM

Added ChipLoco's review to OP. I see that it's only a tiny bit better than the 14PE which is disappointing.

Here's another review. It seems to be 1c cooler than the Cryorig R1 Ultimate under load.

BeAuMaN 04-19-2014 05:49 PM

Welp, I inquired again, and I got a different result. Below is the e-mail, removing some comments on the similarities to the NH-D14. I apologize if I might have lead you astray:
Quote:
Hi (BeAuMaN),

Regarding the NH-D15 it would not be sold until at least 30 days later.

The stock has not been released yet in noctua's manufacturer overseas. Top 30 days on top of it for shipping, +1 week going to Amazon's warehouse, the time would be roughly 40 days.

Until then, no one would be able to sell this unit unfortunately.
...
...

Hope this helps..

(Name Withheld)

Not sure If this is more correct than the previous person I talked to on the phone. I did inform them though what the other person had told me. Anyone else want to ask around to confirm this?

Neo Zuko 04-19-2014 05:56 PM

Ah, the days I lusted after heatsinks before I lusted after watercooling parts...

Capt 04-19-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeAuMaN View Post

Welp, I inquired again, and I got a different result. Below is the e-mail, removing some comments on the similarities to the NH-D14. I apologize if I might have lead you astray:
Not sure If this is more correct than the previous person I talked to on the phone. I did inform them though what the other person had told me. Anyone else want to ask around to confirm this?

So we have to wait another 30+ days? crap. mad.gif

Faithh 04-19-2014 07:26 PM

All of the reviews we've seen are just bad. I can't really understand how the NH-u14/12s is on par with a nh-d14/15 when there's a 10° difference in this test http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/noctua_nh-u14s_review/5. I couldn't keep the temps below 90° before hitting the thermtrip in small fft's with a [email protected] with 1.35V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

Anyone know when we can buy one? Looks like NCIX has it posted but says shipping in 1-2 weeks which we already know. Who will be the first to carry?

Now. I can buy one from the netherlands they have it in stock.

This shop has them in stock and ships everywhere in the EU: http://i.imgur.com/Jutg2zK.png & http://i.imgur.com/LvHgJ59.png

ehume 04-19-2014 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

All of the reviews we've seen are just bad. I can't really understand how the NH-u14/12s is on par with a nh-d14/15 when there's a 10° difference in this test http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/noctua_nh-u14s_review/5. I couldn't keep the temps below 90° before hitting the thermtrip in small fft's with a [email protected] with 1.35V.

 

If a single-tower heatsink is really well made, it should keep up with the big boys until . . . until it runs out of heat-shedding power. If the U14 is as well made as other Noctua products, we should see exactly that. It is only at the higher OC's that tandem tower heatsinks really come into their own.

 

The problem comes when you have a CPU that runs up against its limits before the heatsink runs up against its own limit. My Haswell has that problem. I can get it to run stable at 4.7 GHz. But when I crank up AVX2, the core temps skyrocket in seconds, no matter which cooler I use. There is a gap between the cpu's silicon chip and the IHS, and the TIM is not good enough to bridge it.

 

I have not seen any reviews where the U14 and any of the tandem towers (D14, D15, Phanteks, Silver Arrow, etc etc) have been tested on 2011 cpu's like the Ivy Bridge - E, where there is not TIM but solder. Only there will you see the tandem tower heatsinks really show their stuff.

 

If the Devils Canyon Haswell refresh has solder instead of TIM, I will get one. Otherwise, we can wait for the Haswell-E that comes out later this year and hope that someone does a heatsink comparison using it.

 

I am not impressed with the current reviews I have seen. I am willing to look at some more, if they have cpu's that fully tax the heatsinks.


Faithh 04-19-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

I have not seen any reviews where the U14 and any of the tandem towers (D14, D15, Phanteks, Silver Arrow, etc etc) have been tested on 2011 cpu's like the Ivy Bridge - E, where there is not TIM but solder. Only there will you see the tandem tower heatsinks really show their stuff.
I am not impressed with the current reviews I have seen. I am willing to look at some more, if they have cpu's that fully tax the heatsinks.

You won't really expect me to link Haswell/Ivy bridge benchmarks. The oc3d link I posted tested a [email protected] so. Anyone who buys a nh-d14/d15 for Haswell/Ivy is doing it wrong unless you want to fill the empty space in your case up.

Their singletower coolers are impressive, literally the best out and honestly it destroys any 120mm AIO, my enermax 120x (silverstone oem TD02) isn't doing better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

I am not impressed with the current reviews I have seen. I am willing to look at some more, if they have cpu's that fully tax the heatsinks.

Half of them don't even know how to apply thermal paste properly. Spreading it out, doing line method or using way too much. This is how much you really need for S2011: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pC7fdhet5qA/TUOwll2SXUI/AAAAAAAAA_M/PdkYX0EUBsw/s1600/dollop.jpg

They still fail to pick the right cpu out, it's so stupid to use haswell cpu's

BeAuMaN 04-19-2014 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

This shop has them in stock and ships everywhere in the EU: http://i.imgur.com/Jutg2zK.png & http://i.imgur.com/LvHgJ59.png

Well, looking at a list of .nl sites, this one seems to ship abroad (Read: United States), but you'll pay a premium for it: http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/information/page.html?articleId=1136477&channel_code=57&product_code=92580632&utm_source=hardware

Also this place in the UK: http://www.quietpc.com/nh-d15

Capt 04-20-2014 12:41 AM

Noctua said the D15 will be available by mid April but I guess not. I think we're looking at early May now.

doyll 04-20-2014 02:04 AM

Most reviewers use case systems to test in with room ambient as base temp, but do not monitor cooler intake air temp rolleyes.gif
Room temperature is really worthless. It's the temperature of air going in to cooler that is important, not what the room temperature is. rolleyes.gif
Their tests results are how well their system is cooling in their room.
I don't have their system or their room.
I could care less how well their system cools.
I want to know how well the cooler being tested cools.

Just changing coolers in a system usually changes the case airflow and therefor cooler intake air temp... Changing cooler fans does too. wink.gif

cpmee 04-20-2014 02:10 AM

Quote:
Room temperature is really worthless. It's the temperature of air going in to cooler that is important, not what the room temperature is.

Agreed, delta change of cpu temp over motherboard temp is a better, easier and more consistent measurement IMO. Of course the problem with that is that the mobo thermistor is located in different places on different mobos, so the mobo would have to be the same for comparisons.

doyll 04-20-2014 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmee View Post

Agreed, delta change of cpu temp over motherboard temp is a better, easier and more consistent measurement IMO. Of course the problem with that is that the mobo thermistor is located in different places on different mobos, so the mobo would have to be the same for comparisons.
So motherboard temp cannot be used universally for testing.

So we are back to monitoring the air temp going into cooler.
  • It's simple.
  • It's cheap.
  • It gives an accurate baseline temp for all testers to use to determine a delta temp

All that is needed is a cheapo digital
indoor / outdoor wired remote sensor thermometer. A piece of stiff wire on last 23cm with a clamp to hold it. All insulated so cannot short out to anything.
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2a

ehume 04-20-2014 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

I have not seen any reviews where the U14 and any of the tandem towers (D14, D15, Phanteks, Silver Arrow, etc etc) have been tested on 2011 cpu's like the Ivy Bridge - E, where there is not TIM but solder. Only there will you see the tandem tower heatsinks really show their stuff.
I am not impressed with the current reviews I have seen. I am willing to look at some more, if they have cpu's that fully tax the heatsinks.

You won't really expect me to link Haswell/Ivy bridge benchmarks. The oc3d link I posted tested a [email protected] so. Anyone who buys a nh-d14/d15 for Haswell/Ivy is doing it wrong unless you want to fill the empty space in your case up.

Their singletower coolers are impressive, literally the best out and honestly it destroys any 120mm AIO, my enermax 120x (silverstone oem TD02) isn't doing better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

I am not impressed with the current reviews I have seen. I am willing to look at some more, if they have cpu's that fully tax the heatsinks.

Half of them don't even know how to apply thermal paste properly. Spreading it out, doing line method or using way too much. This is how much you really need for S2011: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pC7fdhet5qA/TUOwll2SXUI/AAAAAAAAA_M/PdkYX0EUBsw/s1600/dollop.jpg

They still fail to pick the right cpu out, it's so stupid to use haswell cpu's


Thank you for pointing out the OC3D again. I had not noticed they are using Ivy-E. That said, their delta temps look suspiciously low. Now, is it my imagination, or on the 4.4GHz test in that last chart, is the D14 running 10c cooler than the U14 (44.33c delta vs 54.1c)?


cpmee 04-20-2014 03:27 AM

Quote:
So we are back to monitoring the air temp going into cooler.

It's simple.
It's cheap.
It gives an accurate baseline temp for all testers to use to determine a delta temp
As long as the same digital thermometer and its placement is used for all tests. Any of the common thermometers have an accuracy of +/- 2F at best or could be much worse.

doyll 04-20-2014 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmee View Post

As long as the same digital thermometer and its placement is used for all tests. Any of the common thermometers have an accuracy of +/- 2F at best or could be much worse.
Accuracy of ±02f is ±1℃, and that is as accurate as room thermometers and motherboards are. I figure at least ±2c for most reviews.

KipH 04-20-2014 06:21 AM

Hi all. Just sub'ing and will be joining. I have my NH-D15 sitting here next to me now. What do you want to see? I am going to unbox video then install. Anything else?

Oh ya. It will be the heart of my new build, I got ideas! Or voices in my head, they have ideas, I must obey.

ohhgourami 04-20-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip69 View Post

Hi all. Just sub'ing and will be joining. I have my NH-D14 sitting here next to me now. What do you want to see? I am going to unbox video then install. Anything else?

Oh ya. It will be the heart of my new build, I got ideas! Or voices in my head, they have ideas, I must obey.
Want to run that by me one more time? tongue.gif

KipH 04-20-2014 02:54 PM

You are right. Darn typo. 15. I mean D15

Neo Zuko 04-20-2014 03:00 PM

Just don't argue with yourself... That's a hard one to win.

Elohim 04-20-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Most reviewers use case systems to test in with room ambient as base temp, but do not monitor cooler intake air temp rolleyes.gif
Room temperature is really worthless. It's the temperature of air going in to cooler that is important, not what the room temperature is. rolleyes.gif
Their tests results are how well their system is cooling in their room.
I don't have their system or their room.
I could care less how well their system cools.
I want to know how well the cooler being tested cools.

Just changing coolers in a system usually changes the case airflow and therefor cooler intake air temp... Changing cooler fans does too. wink.gif

You are overstating that effect quiet a bit though i would say. It's just one of many factors that makes cooler testing very tricky and vague in general.

doyll 04-20-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elohim View Post

You are overstating that effect quiet a bit though i would say. It's just one of many factors that makes cooler testing very tricky and vague in general.
I don't think I am. Mostly because it is a large variable that can easily be removed from the list of many tricky and vague factors. This one variable would make a big difference, but that's only my opinion.

ohhgourami 04-20-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip69 View Post

You are right. Darn typo. 15. I mean D15
If you can do a direct comparison to the D14 using the same fans!

ehume 04-20-2014 05:13 PM

I used to measure ambient temps at the heatsink intake. However, I stopped doing that when when I was testing the Noctua NH-L12. I found wildly varying net temps. But when I looked at the results, I was getting consistent top temps. It was the ambient that was all over the map. Since I was comparing it with the NH-D14, I looked at the ambients at the intake for that as well. I was unhappy with the variance. Now I measure ambient temps in true ambient -- hanging down from my workbench. I am much happier with the consistency I get.

 

No longer do I trust ambient temps measured at the heatsink's input.


KipH 04-20-2014 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

If you can do a direct comparison to the D14 using the same fans!

Oh. That is a good sugestion. Unfortunately, I have only a NH-U12S and NH-U14S (using the NH-U14s right now, its great, but as I have that great Samsung low profile ram, not the best choice smile.gif

I'll try to trade to get a D14 for, say a NH-U12S? thumb.gif Good idea.

Faithh 04-20-2014 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip69 View Post

Oh. That is a good sugestion. Unfortunately, I have only a NH-U12S and NH-U14S (using the NH-U14s right now, its great, but as I have that great Samsung low profile ram, not the best choice smile.gif

I'll try to trade to get a D14 for, say a NH-U12S? thumb.gif Good idea.

Seeing that you got a 3930K, lovely but could you please compare it with prime95? So take small FFT's, then select custom and use for the min & max FFT 16 and use 20mins for each FFT. Just to have more accurate results

KipH 04-20-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

Seeing that you got a 3930K, lovely but could you please compare it with prime95? So take small FFT's, then select custom and use for the min & max FFT 16 and use 20mins for each FFT. Just to have more accurate results

You got it. That is exactly what I need to know to look for thumb.gif

doyll 04-21-2014 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

I used to measure ambient temps at the heatsink intake. However, I stopped doing that when when I was testing the Noctua NH-L12. I found wildly varying net temps. But when I looked at the results, I was getting consistent top temps. It was the ambient that was all over the map. Since I was comparing it with the NH-D14, I looked at the ambients at the intake for that as well. I was unhappy with the variance. Now I measure ambient temps in true ambient -- hanging down from my workbench. I am much happier with the consistency I get.

No longer do I trust ambient temps measured at the heatsink's input.
With that logic if the CPU readings were not to our liking we could monitor the temp of something else instead.. rolleyes.gif

The reason the NH-L12 intake temps were varying so much is because the cooler was circulating it's own heated exhaust back into it's intake. Common problem with down flow / pancake coolers. The cooler exhaust is deflected out by motherboard, back up around cooler by RAM, GPU, I/O housings, etc, and is drawn in by cooler intake fan.

Reversing the fan and drawing air away from motherboard with this style cooler usually results in lower CPU and motherboard component temps.

ladcrooks 04-21-2014 12:38 AM

I have an old NOCTUA SE1366 NH-U12P on my i7920 - couldn't be any more happier. Great products thumb.gif

ehume 04-21-2014 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

I used to measure ambient temps at the heatsink intake. However, I stopped doing that when when I was testing the Noctua NH-L12. I found wildly varying net temps. But when I looked at the results, I was getting consistent top temps. It was the ambient that was all over the map. Since I was comparing it with the NH-D14, I looked at the ambients at the intake for that as well. I was unhappy with the variance. Now I measure ambient temps in true ambient -- hanging down from my workbench. I am much happier with the consistency I get.

No longer do I trust ambient temps measured at the heatsink's input.
With that logic if the CPU readings were not to our liking we could monitor the temp of something else instead.. rolleyes.gif

The reason the NH-L12 intake temps were varying so much is because the cooler was circulating it's own heated exhaust back into it's intake. Common problem with down flow / pancake coolers. The cooler exhaust is deflected out by motherboard, back up around cooler by RAM, GPU, I/O housings, etc, and is drawn in by cooler intake fan.

Reversing the fan and drawing air away from motherboard with this style cooler usually results in lower CPU and motherboard component temps.


While I agree with you on that, my further explorations led me to separate my USB thermometer's temp-reading head as far from heatsinks as possible.


doyll 04-21-2014 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post

While I agree with you on that, my further explorations led me to separate my USB thermometer's temp-reading head as far from heatsinks as possible.
The NH-L12 intake air temp was changing dependent on exhaust air mixing into intake air. Using a different temp does not change the reality that the intake air temp increased the harder it worked. The cooling ability was the same, but the air temp going into cooler increased thus increasing CPU temp.

As an analogy let us consider the test room as a house with central heating, the computer case as the lounge, the CPU & cooler as the fireplace and the GPU as a space heater.
  • The house thermostat is set at 23c and all rooms are 23c. We light the fireplace and turn on space heater in lounge and lounge gets heats up; to 28c while rest of house is still 23c.
  • This means if we are reading temps from a computer in the lounge the CPU is now going to be 5c hotter than if coputer was in any other room in the house. Are we going to say the lounge is 23c instead of the 28c it actually is because the rest of house is 23c?
  • Than say the CPU cooler does not cool as well as well in the lounge as it does in the rest of the house because it is 5c hotter?
  • I'm not going to say that. tongue.gif
  • I'll say the cooler cools the same in lounge as rest of house but is 5c hotter because lounge is 5c hotter. biggrin.gif
Same as computer case / cooler intake air temp compared to room temp.
I want to know what the cooler's actual cooling ability is, and if there is a problem with how it circulates air I want to know that too. thumb.gif

UnknownPlayer 04-22-2014 01:55 AM

Too bad it isn't priced like the old model, I'm sticking to my NH-U14S biggrin.gif


ladcrooks 04-22-2014 04:53 AM

that's what i like, a good review and without a doubt it can stand against water cooling. I myself like to keep water and electric separate.

thanks for the post and thread thumb.gif

kaistledine 04-22-2014 04:57 AM




heres mine !

Capt 04-22-2014 05:05 AM

^ I think you are in the wrong thread. This is for the NH-D15. biggrin.gif

kaistledine 04-22-2014 05:07 AM

haha my mistake !

Capt 04-24-2014 07:28 PM

For people who cannot wait until it's released, the NH-D15 is currently being sold on eBay for a premium price and it ships from Italy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Noctua-NH-D15-Dissipatore-CPU-NH-D15-/121322215400?pt=Ventole_per_PC_e_Server&hash=item1c3f5e17e8

KipH 04-25-2014 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt View Post

For people who cannot wait until it's released, the NH-D15 is currently being sold on eBay for a premium price and it ships from Italy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Noctua-NH-D15-Dissipatore-CPU-NH-D15-/121322215400?pt=Ventole_per_PC_e_Server&hash=item1c3f5e17e8

$150? That sounds like the regular price in EU, they are always + 50% on the US price tongue.gif

I am loving mine. Its like a D14 improved with all the good things of the U14s + better ram room. Brilliant cooler.
Video soon.

doyll 04-25-2014 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip69 View Post

$150? That sounds like the regular price in EU, they are always + 50% on the US price tongue.gif

I am loving mine. Its like a D14 improved with all the good things of the U14s + better ram room. Brilliant cooler.

Video soon.
Sorry, but you are mistaken.

NH-D15 price
in Great Britain is £74.60, is $125.45 (inc. 20% VAT)
in Germany € 99,38, that is $137.49 (inc. 19% VAT)
in France is € 70,63, which is $97.72(inc. 20% VAT)
in Spain is € 89,28, which is $123.52(inc. 21% VAT)

All prices are each country's Amazon website. Italian Amazon does not have NH-D15 available.

Edit:
I have heard from people that Alternate.de will sell outside of EU and are reputable.
http://www.alternate.de/Noctua/NH-D15-CPU-K%C3%BChler/html/product/1136477?

KipH 04-25-2014 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Sorry, but you are mistaken.

NH-D15 price
in Great Britain is £74.60, is $125.45 (inc. 20% VAT)
in Germany € 99,38, that is $137.49 (inc. 19% VAT)
in France is € 70,63, which is $97.72(inc. 20% VAT)
in Spain is € 89,28, which is $123.52(inc. 21% VAT)

All prices are each country's Amazon website. Italian Amazon does not have NH-D15 available.

Edit:
I have heard from people that Alternate.de will sell outside of EU and are reputable.
http://www.alternate.de/Noctua/NH-D15-CPU-K%C3%BChler/html/product/1136477?

And 113 is a tiny bit more than those. If you need pay vat on top, not so tiny. 14 Euro premium is not bad at. This time.

doyll 04-25-2014 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip69 View Post


And 113 is a tiny bit more than those. If you need pay vat on top, not so tiny. 14 Euro premium is not bad at. This time.
No idea what 113 is all about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip69 View Post

$150? That sounds like the regular price in EU, they are always + 50% on the US price
Europe is not always + 50% on the US price. rolleyes.gif

EU prices are $104.54, $115.53, $81.43 and $102.08 which averages out to $100.90..
In fact they are usually similar. Considering MSRP is € 89.90 and $99.90.. € 89.90 is $124.38 and if we subtract the 20% VAT we end up with $103.96.. Which is only + 3.75% more than US price... Far different than your U]always + 50% on the US price[/U] statement.

KipH 04-25-2014 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

No idea what 113 is all about.

Did you click the Ebay link? I think you are off on a tangent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Europe is not always + 50% on the US price. rolleyes.gif

EU prices are $104.54, $115.53, $81.43 and $102.08 ...

Thats called hyperbole, and you are being pedantic. Good day sir.

doyll 04-25-2014 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip69 View Post


Thats called hyperbole, and you are being pedantic. Good day sir.
No, that is at the very least a gross exaggeration of the actual prices.. or simply total ignorance of what actual prices are.
Either way it is false information that some viewers of our fine forum may believe is truth and should not be posted by you or anyone else.

Considering your avatar you should go out of your way to post truth, not false information.

Edit:
Pedantic or not, my opinion is you just can't admit you mistakenly thought prices in Europe were 150% of USA prices. biggrin.gif

crowTrobot 04-25-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

All of the reviews we've seen are just bad. I can't really understand how the NH-u14/12s is on par with a nh-d14/15 when there's a 10° difference in this test http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/noctua_nh-u14s_review/5. I couldn't keep the temps below 90° before hitting the thermtrip in small fft's with a [email protected] with 1.35V.

You are not factoring in gravity and heatsink mounting.

The NH-D15 review was on open air test bench horizontally, making all heatsinks perform on par since gravity is not a factor with the heatpipes.

Same site review of Nepton 140XL with a U14S and D14: http://www.modders-inc.com/cooler-master-nepton-140xl-cooler-review/4/

Notice how the temp differences in their 3960X are closer to the Overclock3d.net result? Both were done inside tower cases, Switch 810 and Overclock3d.net's CM Trooper

Methodology, CPU used, internal ambient with fans, etc. is different between the Modders-Inc Nepton 140XL review and the NH-D15 review as well, but you can still see how temp is affected by the orientation of the cooler.

doyll 04-25-2014 03:57 PM

Gravity has no affect. Cooler intake air temperature versus room ambient / case intake air temp does have a significant difference. Room ambient / case intake temperature versus the actual temp of air going into cooler varies dramatically. even on open bench testing... and much more when testing is in a case.

Nepton 140XL has a huge advantage when tested in a case against air coolers compared to open bench testing because it expels it's heated exhaust outside of the case.. meaning it 's heated exhaust does not heat up the case air like air cooler do in most cases.. no pun. Cases can be setup so air coolers do not increase case air temp. But reviewers / testers don't even monitor case air temp and even more importantly the temperature of air going into the cooler.

deepor 04-25-2014 04:13 PM

I also never heard of gravity having an effect on the heat-pipes of tower style coolers. I only heard that gravity can break the top-down coolers with the C-shaped heat-pipes. But even for those it only means that they have to be installed in a certain orientation to work right.

doyll 04-25-2014 05:11 PM

Pretty sure that was with the NH-C14 with the ends of heatpipes pointing down with the 'U' shape of the pipes upside down. All other positions work fine.

specopsFI 04-26-2014 01:55 AM

Hi,

Vortez has posted a review using 3930k @4.6GHz:

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/noctua_nh_d15_review,9.html

However for me, the most interesting part is the passive testing of the heatsinks with the CPU at stock:



The difference between the NH-D14 and NH-D15 heatsink seems to be 1.7 degrees. Also shows why the twin tower models are still the best for SB-E/IV-E: the NH-U14S failed that test while both the Noctua twin tower models still had headroom to spare.

doyll 04-26-2014 03:40 AM

i notice David is monitoring the intake fan temp instead of room ambient... but the case intake fans, not cooler intakes. frown.gif
Quote:
Testing methodology
Testing will be based on temperatures recorded by Real Temp after 20 passes of LinX stress test. The maximum absolute temperatures will be recorded after the test and averaged over the 6 cores. The delta is then calculated by subtracting the temperature recorded near the intake fans from the average temperature calculated. Tests are conducted with the Intel i7 3930K at its default 3.6GHz stock speed and overclocked to 4.6GHz @ 1.42V. The tests are done inside the Corsair Carbide 500R chassis to simulate real world conditions. To keep the tests standardised we are using Noctua's NT-H1 thermal paste on all coolers.
Also wonder about the 'average temperature'. Is it from start of test or after temps stabilize? Case air temp can take 5-10 minutes to stabilize, sometime even longer. Using temperature readings before temps stabilize will result in lower intake temperature average than it really is.

Capt 04-26-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

i notice David is monitoring the intake fan temp instead of room ambient... but the case intake fans, not cooler intakes. frown.gif
Also wonder about the 'average temperature'. Is it from start of test or after temps stabilize? Case air temp can take 5-10 minutes to stabilize, sometime even longer. Using temperature readings before temps stabilize will result in lower intake temperature average than it really is.

I completely agree with this. I never liked Vortez's testing methodology anyway. When I have done my own testing in the past, I have noticed that it takes a very long time for case temps to stabilize after a heavy overlock (4.5Ghz+ with 3960X).


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.