Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Water Cooling (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/)
-   -   PETG Tubing VS Acrylic Tubing Pros + Cons (https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1490076-petg-tubing-vs-acrylic-tubing-pros-cons.html)

MrBlunt 05-16-2014 09:24 PM

Hello! i am thinking about going with PETG tubing rather than acrylic tubing. Seem's much safer to use being so much stronger, i wouldnt have to worry about cracks.

What are your thoughts?

BadDad62 05-17-2014 06:22 AM

Has there been an issue with Acrylic tubing??

Might hear from "B Negative"

B NEGATIVE 05-17-2014 06:56 AM

Cracking is not an issue with acrylic,I have yet to hear of a single incident of tubing cracking and failing.

PETG is not UV stable and water permeation is a factor to consider compared to acrylic.

MrBlunt 05-17-2014 08:22 AM

I've done a couple acrylic rigs. The last one i was moving, and it slipped out of my hand after putting it down and it fell maybe 1". i had cracks from the top rad to the cpu and cracks in another bend. im aware that cracks are usually from being stressed too much when being bent. And if done correctly should be ok. But after watching the videos on PETG, i still havent seen any bad pieces of PETG or results from water permeation, *which i dont really understand**,and i havent seen any real results about being uv unstable. now are they talking about say the amount of uv from one of those dentist curing lights vs sun vs a uv light cathode or led.
This will be an extremely heavy build. i can easily imagine the frame of the pc twisting slightly if picked up which could induce a crack in acrylic.

what do ya think Bnegative

DaveLT 05-17-2014 08:25 AM

Water permeation means that water will evaporate out of PETG due to being able to nanoscopically leak through the tube.

B NEGATIVE 05-17-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlunt View Post

I've done a couple acrylic rigs. The last one i was moving, and it slipped out of my hand after putting it down and it fell maybe 1". i had cracks from the top rad to the cpu and cracks in another bend. im aware that cracks are usually from being stressed too much when being bent. And if done correctly should be ok. But after watching the videos on PETG, i still havent seen any bad pieces of PETG or results from water permeation, *which i dont really understand**,and i havent seen any real results about being uv unstable. now are they talking about say the amount of uv from one of those dentist curing lights vs sun vs a uv light cathode or led.
This will be an extremely heavy build. i can easily imagine the frame of the pc twisting slightly if picked up which could induce a crack in acrylic.

what do ya think Bnegative

If you are willing to be the guinea pig then try it but,to me,its not been tested anywhere near long enough for it to be adopted yet.

MrBlunt 05-17-2014 08:35 AM

icic.. Nice builds btw!! +rep

well i already ordered some, and i have both acrylic and PETG.
i have enough spare parts laying around to make a simple loop and expose it to whatever.
any thoughts on that?

B NEGATIVE 05-17-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlunt View Post

icic.. Nice builds btw!! +rep

well i already ordered some, and i have both acrylic and PETG.
i have enough spare parts laying around to make a simple loop and expose it to whatever.
any thoughts on that?

Do it,all testing is valid if all components are subject to the same conditions.
It will be a long test for you tho.....months rather than weeks.....

If you post results,i will include them in my acrylic bending thread.

Unicr0nhunter 05-18-2014 07:20 PM

PETG is definitely stronger and is reported to be easier to work with (bends easier) than acrylic. It not being UV resistant like acrylic is though could be an issue I would imagine. Will it yellow or possibly become more brittle over time or who knows what else if exposed to sun or UV lights? Also the fact it is hydroscopic (absorbs water) similar to flexible tubing I suspect could mean it might be more susceptible to staining by dyes/coolants. I don't know the answers to any of those things though as I won't be getting any PETG myself at least not for a while until some of those suggested possibilities of drawbacks from ways it differs from acrylic are confirmed or ruled out.

Is PETG being offered anywhere in any colors like acrylic or just clear?

NASzi 05-18-2014 10:14 PM

been rocking petg for months now with no issues. Not worried about UV because I don't have any UV cathodes in my rig, also the inside of my rig rarely sees daylight. It was much easier to work with than acrylic and I have been very pleased with it.