Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Power Supplies (https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/)
-   -   Possible PSU Coil Whine Fix (https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-power-supplies/1505774-possible-psu-coil-whine-fix.html)

NexusRed 08-04-2014 11:26 AM

Hey guys,

Long story short, about 6 months ago I picked up a Seasonic X 760w PSU. It was 10% off my local retailer so I jumped on it. Over time, it developed coil whine. I first thought it was my Sapphire 7870 XT so I sold that and bought a EVGA GTX 670 and the coil whine went away. Recently, the whine came back and was getting super loud. Narrowed it down to my PSU as the sound was coming from the back of the PSU and I could hear it if I put my ear on the casing of the PSU. This is how I fixed my PSU coil while:

Download/Install/Run OCCT
Stress Test whole system via Power supply tab and set everything to it's maximum.
I let it sit for about an hour (Had to listen to unbelievable loud coil whine. Louder then my portable bedroom AC).
After about an hour or so, it's completely gone. Couple rounds of BF4 and Watch Dogs with no whine.

This fix may not work for you and could damage your system.

Lefik 08-04-2014 03:26 PM

there are some BIOS tweaks in this thread that are recommended by Seasonic to stop coil whine.

larymoencurly 08-04-2014 07:14 PM

Some electronics repair forum mentioned not just coil whine but coil explosion in CRT TVs. No flying debris, just the flyback core cracked and made an explosion sound when the TV was turned on.

BradleyW 08-06-2014 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRed View Post

Hey guys,

Long story short, about 6 months ago I picked up a Seasonic X 760w PSU. It was 10% off my local retailer so I jumped on it. Over time, it developed coil whine. I first thought it was my Sapphire 7870 XT so I sold that and bought a EVGA GTX 670 and the coil whine went away. Recently, the whine came back and was getting super loud. Narrowed it down to my PSU as the sound was coming from the back of the PSU and I could hear it if I put my ear on the casing of the PSU. This is how I fixed my PSU coil while:

Download/Install/Run OCCT
Stress Test whole system via Power supply tab and set everything to it's maximum.
I let it sit for about an hour (Had to listen to unbelievable loud coil whine. Louder then my portable bedroom AC).
After about an hour or so, it's completely gone. Couple rounds of BF4 and Watch Dogs with no whine.

This fix may not work for you and could damage your system.

This is already a known fix, but it only works for a small number of people.
Glad it worked for you though! thumb.gif

Faithh 08-10-2014 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

This is already a known fix, but it only works for a small number of people.
Glad it worked for you though! thumb.gif

I'm wondering how this exactly fixes it.

eXXon 08-10-2014 02:42 AM

Letting it run on the menu of any Crysis game without Vsync (+3000 fps) for a few hours usually works too.

Faithh 08-10-2014 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXXon View Post

Letting it run on the menu of any Crysis game without Vsync (+3000 fps) for a few hours usually works too.

That's for the GPU obviously.

eXXon 08-10-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

That's for the GPU obviously.

Yeah, thought OP was talking about GPU whine, my bad.

chadrew 12-10-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefik View Post

there are some BIOS tweaks in this thread that are recommended by Seasonic to stop coil whine.

I just got a new Seasonic X-460FL2, and I can hear a buzzing noise coming from it which is audible even over the fans. Unfortunately, enabling EuP like suggested in that thread made no difference.

Edit: it did make the PSU completely silent when it's turned off, but still connected to power (there was a slight hum before in this case). It does this by disabling all those wake up functions ( which I don't need anyway). But the problem in the first place was the audible buzz when it's in use.

deafboy 12-10-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithh View Post

I'm wondering how this exactly fixes it.

From my understanding, it kind of reseats the coils if you will. Coil whine is produced by the vibrations in the coils and often happens when the coil isn't originally spun perfectly. Agitating it by stressing it for a long period of time can cause little shift and will help reseat the coils.