Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Builds, Logs & Case Mods (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/)
-   -   [Build Log] Pew Pew Reactor (powered by "Grape Soda") - Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2 X99 system. (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/1516430-build-log-pew-pew-reactor-powered-grape-soda-cooltek-jonsbo-w2-x99-system.html)

BakerMan1971 10-01-2014 04:00 PM

Well guys its my second build log, now this one is going to take a few months as I have to save up for the components.
To start with however I have bought the Cooltek W2 case and will be transferring "Twisting Get" into it over the coming days.

But I can't start a build log without any pictures, so here are a few of the new case, comparing it to a mAtx case and test positioning my friends MSI X99S SLI along with looking into how the Thermalright True Spirit 140 would fit (or not...)

Here are some comparison shots, apologies for the quality of some, I am not the greatest photographer, and I cant even blame the 14mp Compact Fuji.

potato shot first: redface.gif

As you can see it is slightly taller than the Cooler Master mAtx case but not much.

Now with some parts to show the main compartment capabilities:......

That is a standard ATX board size, as you can see there is lots more room for motherboard thumb.gif

Now looking at the Thermalright True Spirit 140

Oh Dear the side panel is not going on with that sucka..... heatsink dimensions: 155mm (gives 2-3mm GPU clearance on this board) 53.4mm Thickness without fan, 170mm high, which is 7mm above the maximum clearance stated for the case, so no give there. blushsmiley.gif

now finally a couple of shots with a gpu in.

sorry for the blur in this one but it does demonstrate a gap for the gpu redface.gif

Thank you for reading thumb.gif

BakerMan1971 10-01-2014 04:01 PM

Built my old Twisting Get rig into the new case this last weekend... it went mostly smoothly smile.gif

Old Rig:

Power supply fitting snugly and on some nice noise dampening parts:

Ok, this is my only real issue with this case, the 3.5" HDD caddy has two problems for me, I can only mount two 3.5" HDD's (unless I have missed something really obvious), I would have hoped for a removable bracket within the drive cage for anyone wishing to install an optical drive or Liquid reservoir. My Second issue with the drive case is that the hdd's have to be mounted back to back, which means twisting the power cable around to the connectors and making cable management a little less tidy.

The other issue with the case is not so terrible, and is down to the rubber HDD mounts in the bottom of the main case tray, where two fans can be mounted.
The grommet can, as it did in my case, make contact with the fan hub and prevent it from spinning, I initially thought one of my bottom fans had failed.

p.s. Don't worry I turned the front bottom fan around so the labels matched direction redface.gif

SSD mounting was a breeze:

On mounting the board I had to see just how close my BeQuiet Dark Rock Advanced was to the side panel, its got about 1mm spare, be very careful choosing large air coolers for this case.

Untidy cabling for power on test:

Powering on.....

Panel fitted (plastic off) looking incredible

Cables tidied a little, this a a temporary build in, as I am looking to grab x99 components as soon as my wallet will let me biggrin.gif

Offside view with filter installed on PSU fan.

and finally the blue and red that becomes blue and pink due to light leakage, but the power and hdd lights look nice, the buttons even more so, light leaks onto the USB ports giving them some interesting illumination.

the Cooltek W2 case drops my temperatures by about 2-5C compared to the Vengeance C70, the lack of drive bays in the main chamber blocking airflow from the front fans is where I think the main difference is made, and I am sure with higher quality fans, even more can be knocked off as more positive air pressure is created.

Again thank you for reading thumb.gif

BakerMan1971 10-01-2014 04:01 PM

************ Reserved for X99 build pics **************
Need to get more pics off the camera but here is the start of the x99 build smile.gif

So many pins!

Found something nice and solid to cover the pins, keeping them safe smile.gif

some off the camera now (I am not very good at this but it serves its purpose)

smithydan 10-01-2014 05:18 PM

Looking forward to the build and the other build lol

You can mod the thermalright, cut the top two fins and upwards off.

Oh, by the way the corsair vengeance also gave me some help in what I had ask, thanks biggrin.gif

BakerMan1971 10-02-2014 01:42 AM

yes the Corsair does look quite the monster! smile.gif

On a side note on the MSI X99S Sli board, the thermalright is 155mm wide and you can still fit a GPU in the top x16 slot, this of course means that anyone considering the new Noctua NH-D15 should be fine providing they take care of any ram heatsink issues.

veryrarium 11-04-2014 12:32 AM

I'm also looking forward to a W2 build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithydan View Post

You can mod the thermalright, cut the top two fins and upwards off.
That won't change the height of the cooler as the heatpipe ends determine the height.

BakerMan1971 11-04-2014 08:40 AM

Well I am saving up for the bits n bobs to build x99 into the case, and I am also going to go AIO for the first time ever, the Rajintek Triton has caught my eye, and I think I will mix the colours to make it look like its running on Grape Soda ! smile.gif

*** build update ***
Motherboard has just arrived along with a 5820k, plunged for these as there is currently a cashback deal going on with Intel and various manufacturers.

Soon the build will commence.

BakerMan1971 11-25-2014 06:04 AM

Overclocking session and some bios screenshots.

Hi Guys

Not got the AIO yet so keeping overclocking voltage at 1.25

Bios is 152Beta

Managed to get the system to 4.3GHz and it appears to be stable at that point, so far I have only changed the Multiplier , Vcore and set Vcore/Ring Voltage Mode to Override.

veryrarium 11-25-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerMan1971 View Post

Well I am saving up for the bits n bobs to build x99 into the case, and I am also going to go AIO for the first time ever, the Rajintek Triton has caught my eye, and I think I will mix the colours to make it look like its running on Grape Soda ! smile.gif
Oh no, with the black W2 and a black motherboard, don't you want to go with a black and white theme? sadsmiley.gif

BakerMan1971 11-26-2014 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryrarium View Post

Oh no, with the black W2 and a black motherboard, don't you want to go with a black and white theme? sadsmiley.gif

There are already some amazing B&W builds out there, and my keyboard lights up purple (Mech on a budget smile.gif ) so I thought why not purple inside the case?, although the all-black look is pretty sweet.

Focussed on testing the system for now then let's see where the build takes me once I get the AIO smile.gif

*** UPDATE ***

Had my first hard reboot during BF4 last night, no BSOD, but one restart windows reported the dreaded 124 error, which of course is the system not being happy with voltage.
Might see where I can find LLC withtin the bios, which may be all it needs for that little extra stability.