Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Software News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/)
-   -   [Phoronix] Confirmed: Vulkan Is The Next-Gen Graphics API (https://www.overclock.net/forum/226-software-news/1543806-phoronix-confirmed-vulkan-next-gen-graphics-api.html)

Evil Penguin 02-28-2015 11:21 AM

Quote:
As a follow-up to last week's "Vulkan" trademark by the Khronos Group and mulling it over this weekend, I've now been able to confirm with two independent entities that Vulkan is indeed the next-gen graphics API designed as the successor to OpenGL for high performance 2D/3D graphics.

The Vulkan details will go public on 3 March tomorrow for GDC2015. For whatever silly reason I wasn't pre-briefed on the matter even though Phoronix is the leading source for Linux OpenGL/graphics information, etc, there were two sources that came through and delivered official documents on Vulkan and the forthcoming OpenCL 2.1. While I'm not under NDA with Khronos, I respect the work done by them and their stakeholders, so as such I won't spill all the beans ahead of time. Just to say today that Vulkan is indeed the name for their new open API for high-efficiency access to modern GPUs across all platforms from desktops to mobiles to embedded/consoles. While Vulkan delivers highly-efficient graphics/compute, OpenGL and OpenGL ES will continue to evolve.

Source

What would you guys/gals think of the new name? tongue.gif

Pip Boy 02-28-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Penguin View Post

Source

What would you guys/gals think if the next-gen OpenGL was called Vulkan? tongue.gif

I would think Mantle.

Evil Penguin 02-28-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Boy View Post

I would think Mantle.
Yup, I wonder how much Khronos borrowed from Mantle.

Pip Boy 02-28-2015 11:31 AM

Quote:

Yup, I wonder how much Khronos borrowed from Mantle.

Khronos got their API out of the gate very fast indeed

.. almost too fast wink.gif

now they name it vulcan, volcano .. lava ... mantle etc..

This should mean the same benefits of DX12 or more really as its cross platform, but the real benefit will be that it actually gets used quicker as with any SteamOS game it will help get the performance target up and devs might end up not choosing DX12 because it limits their portability.

basically this could be valves golden ticket

XLifted 02-28-2015 11:37 AM

Sounds hot and uncomfortable.

With the way the AMD GPUs are made lately, they need to find other words to define they architecture such as a Cool Breeze or "temperatures below 90 Celcius" maybe it will get them on the right path of reducing the temps on these GPUs

I live in Arizona and GOOD God, I'm tired of sitting in my boxers in my room because it's so hot. I mean sauna is good for you and whatnot, but my eyes are sticky from that sweat in the summer. biggrin.gif

I need to see my screen.

That picture Pip, is VERY appropriate to the summer here with AMD gpu

TFL Replica 02-28-2015 05:29 PM

I thought it was a tribute to Spock, but the trademark was filed 10 days ago. Mantle makes much more sense anyway.

inedenimadam 02-28-2015 05:33 PM

Quote:

What would you guys/gals think if the next-gen OpenGL was called Vulkan? tongue.gif

They can call it whatever they like. If it improves my user experience on my PC, I will support it.

AndroidVageta 02-28-2015 06:44 PM

Something I'd like to know here are what the differences are. Besides DX12 being Windows specific what would an API like "Vulcan" bring to the table that DX12 either doesn't do or can't do? What's the competitive point? Why would I, as a game developer, want to use Vulcan over DX12?

DVLux 02-28-2015 07:01 PM

Vulkan, Mantle, Metal... What's next? Intel's new "Molten Core" API?

Evil Penguin 02-28-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidVageta View Post

Something I'd like to know here are what the differences are. Besides DX12 being Windows specific what would an API like "Vulcan" bring to the table that DX12 either doesn't do or can't do? What's the competitive point? Why would I, as a game developer, want to use Vulcan over DX12?
Windows Vista?, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 support.
Android, Linux, Mac? support.

Mantle - currently restricted to AMD cards
DX12 - restricted to Windows 10
Metal - currently restricted to certain Apple mobile devices

Why choose DX12 or Mantle when glNext can work on more platforms and vendors?