Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Builds, Logs & Case Mods (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/)
-   -   [build log] "Grey Matter" - Caselabs S5 with a look of S8 (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18082-builds-logs-case-mods/1548802-build-log-grey-matter-caselabs-s5-look-s8.html)

Gabrielzm 03-30-2015 04:48 PM

Build setup/parts listing :
Case and accessories
▪ CaseLabs Mercury S5 Gunmetal exterior and Black interior
▪ CaseLabs 120.2 Flex-Bay Rad Mount
▪ XXL Clear window on the right and window and vent door on the left
▪ drop-in mount for a 360 mm rad on top and a window too.

Components
▪ MB EVGA x99 micro
▪ PSU corsair hx850i
▪ 32 GB ddr4 ram corsair
▪ 2x titan sli
▪ 1 samsung evo 1 tb
▪ Cpu core i7 5960 x

Cooling
▪ Gentle Typhoons custom painted to grey/black reversed
▪ Ek Coolstream PE 240 mm rad (2x)
▪ Ek Coolstream PE 360 mm rad (1x)
▪ D5 Aquacomputer USB Pump (1x)
▪ EK-D5 X-TOP CSQ - BLACK Acetal
▪ Shoggy Sandwich
▪ EK-HD Tube 10/12mm 500mm - 2 pack (10x for practice since I will try some bends on some critical parts)
▪ Mips cpu block
▪ EK Titan block short clear/nickel (2x)
▪ Ek BLACK backplate (x2)
▪ Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 XT USB Fan-Controller
▪ Aquacomputer Black Faceplate for Aquaero
▪ Custom pastel color (most likely a clear shade of grey)
▪ Aquacomputer Flow sensor mps flow 400, G1/4 (1x)
▪ Most likely ek fittings for 12 mm acrylic with black cap.

Lights: custom made 5050 bright white leds in superbrightleds mount with frosted top
Cables: most likely will ask Joey from ensourced to make some.

The Plan: I want a powerful and compact system to my work office. I am a biologist so the name of the build. I use computers at work to do a lot of statistics, simulations and math so Quiet, Powerful and Compact are the keywords here. Minimum tubing is another goal. To accomplish that I want to cram rads on this little s5. The idea is to put an additional 240 mm on the bottom compartment which will involve cutting the mid-plate. Besides I am in love with the look of the s8 but I wish the size of the s5. So the solution to me will be to mod the case and give the s5 a look of s8. If I succeed in it grey matter will be puzzling to look at it since at first sight will look like the big brother. The center piece of it is a custom frontal window with the reservoir built-in there. Let’s see how it goes…

Here is a draft of the plan on the front. White will be a window/reservoir custom made. It will extend as far back as I can with the loop/vgas there so one can see the reservoir on the front and side of the case. Red will be the new I/o position. The grey side is the vent part and inside will be another 240 mm rad there.

Xclsyr 03-30-2015 04:56 PM

Now this will be interesting! thumb.gif

MakaveliSmalls 03-30-2015 05:03 PM

I loved Chessboard, so i can't wait to see your work on this one biggrin.gif

Gabrielzm 03-30-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclsyr View Post

Now this will be interesting! thumb.gif

Thks Mate. Let's see if I can pull this off. Never done custom work on acrylic and while I am not shy of using my dremel never did cut such a large chunks of the case before. First pictures. I am in love with the PE rad. Such a gorgeous rad and scream "mod me please". I am of mind of trying coat powder paint on them this time even though I enjoy painting rads....

ek dropped off the first components of the project today (even included a small gift).

seross69 03-30-2015 05:13 PM

Gotta sub for this!!!!!

Gabrielzm 03-30-2015 05:23 PM

Thank you guys (@MakaveliSmalls and @seross69) and welcome aboard. Will start working on the 7 or 8 GTs and the rads too. More pictures:

case was ordered yesterday so most likely will be here around mid-may. Until then I expect to do work on the loop (testing different configurations to check flow) as well as do a lot of the custom job on painting and acrylic reservoir. Which reminds me I need to place an order on aquacomputer that will include the tap.

DarthBaggins 03-30-2015 07:10 PM

Ooh MiPs block thumb.gif

Gabrielzm 03-30-2015 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBaggins View Post

Ooh MiPs block thumb.gif

Was saving that one biggrin.gif . I think will go nice on this build theme and its very low restriction will help with the flow with 2 GPU blocks + cpu. GPus will go parallel most likely. thumb.gif

Pheozero 03-30-2015 07:23 PM

This thing is going to be a monster. If you put the same amount of effort you did in to chessboard, this thing is going to be so awesome biggrin.gif

szeged 03-30-2015 07:29 PM

Subaroonies