Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   j[Techspot] Asrock X99E-ITX review (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1553147-j-techspot-asrock-x99e-itx-review.html)

ccRicers 04-28-2015 03:10 PM

http://www.techspot.com/review/992-asrock-x99e-itx-ac/

Quote:
As exciting as the notion of a Mini-ITX X99 motherboard was, we expected it to deliver limited features, memory performance and ultimately system performance. Furthermore, placing a 140w Core i7-5960X processor on a tiny motherboard in an equally tiny case seemed like a recipe for disaster.

We proceeded with our Mini-ITX build nonetheless and we ended up with something truly amazing.

As expected, memory bandwidth performance fell, by almost 40% in fact. That seems like a huge blow but we've found that this doesn't necessarily impact performance and the Core i7-5960X delivered virtually the same results using dual-channel memory as it did quad-channel.

Therefore, performance-wise the X99E-ITX/ac is as good as any other X99 motherboard on the market.

PureBlackFire 04-28-2015 03:18 PM

which way is up? lol, just kidding. biggrin.gif can't see this being a popular choice for the X99 crowd.

hyp36rmax 04-28-2015 03:24 PM

Interesting concept as odd as it may seem.  It's still a welcoming addition for those who want the highest performing components in a small package.

EniGma1987 04-28-2015 03:50 PM

I realize that this is so people can get truly the best performance in an ITX system as possible by having 8 cores hyperthreaded, but two of the main points of that platform are its ability to do such large multi GPU systems and have a ton of RAM. Killing off 2 of the 3 main selling points of the platform seems like a waste to me.

PureBlackFire 04-28-2015 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EniGma1987 View Post

I realize that this is so people can get truly the best performance in an ITX system as possible by having 8 cores hyperthreaded, but two of the main points of that platform are its ability to do such large multi GPU systems and have a ton of RAM. Killing off 2 of the 3 main selling points of the platform seems like a waste to me.

exactly.

claes 04-28-2015 06:40 PM

Haters gonna hate...

doogk 04-28-2015 06:42 PM

Options are never a bad thing.

Cakewalk_S 04-28-2015 06:55 PM

I've got the asrock z77e-itx board and it's been rock solid for me. Well except for 1 bios issue but I think it's related to a dying cmos battery... I think we've had some OCN users have their itx boards die on them. Mine is going on 1.5years strong.

Pretty sweet. I'd imagine it's boards will become more popular with Intel's next gen of broadwell and Skylake.. Hopefully lower temps and smaller builds. And who knows, maybe amd can pull something off also.

pcfoo 04-28-2015 07:40 PM

Along with the already introduced 16GB DDR4 UDIMMs, this can be the base for a very very potent workstation, or even miniaturized render node built with up to 18 cores & 32GB or RAM.

The ability to OC s2011-3 i7's is also a big plus if you have the room to apply sufficient cooling.

"Render" me impressed! Kudoz Asrock.

cdoublejj 04-28-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBlackFire View Post

which way is up? lol, just kidding. biggrin.gif can't see this being a popular choice for the X99 crowd.

why not power draw and cooling? best SSF PSU i know of is only 600 watts. might not be enough for an X99 and pumps, fans and top end GPU or might JUST be enough.