Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Intel CPUs (https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/)
-   -   Suggested 4790k Voltage at 4.7 ghz (https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/1553186-suggested-4790k-voltage-4-7-ghz.html)

XLifted 04-28-2015 10:37 PM

Hey, guys

Just bought I7 4790k, it's should be shipped soon enough.

What voltage do you suggest generally for 4.7 Ghz on this processor?

I will be cooling using Corsair H105, with push-pull configuration, so plenty of heat dissipation.

I'm guessing 48x on the multiplier based on my reading, but what voltage?

Any other suggestions on overclocking this CPU in particular would be appreciated, haven't overclocked Intel in my life. Plenty of tinkering with AMD though, so not a noob in AMD at least tongue.gif

Danbeme32 04-28-2015 10:43 PM

Right now am running my 4790k at [email protected] for me to get 4.8 I have to push it over 1.3v..

XLifted 04-28-2015 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbeme32 View Post

Right now am running my 4790k at [email protected] for me to get 4.8 I have to push it over 1.3v..

Do you think you have hit the "silicone lottery" with that chip, or is it a standard voltage for this frequency?

I've read most are suggesting to stay under 1.3 volts with this chip

Cyro999 04-28-2015 10:56 PM

1.3 is fine but temps won't be too great if you have HT on. You need to test with the right load, as some loads will hit 100c before other loads pass ~60c, even though they both run at 100% CPU utilization.

Normal is about [email protected] for these chips.

Check out THE ocn guide~ https://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics/

Also, use manual voltage always. Vcore will be 0.02v above what you set in bios, but you won't see that unless you're looking at the right sensor (and there are lots of wrong sensors that will show you VID instead of vcore)

so much little stuff with haswell it's impossible to cover without writing a thousand word rant, so just read the guide

Danbeme32 04-28-2015 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLifted View Post

Do you think you have hit the "silicone lottery" with that chip, or is it a standard voltage for this frequency?

I've read most are suggesting to stay under 1.3 volts with this chip

It was the luck of the draw..It will be a hit and miss. Some people got chips that would take 1.225v and others can't hit unless they do 1.3v

XLifted 04-28-2015 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

1.3 is fine but temps won't be too great if you have HT on. You need to test with the right load, as some loads will hit 100c before other loads pass ~60c, even though they both run at 100% CPU utilization.

Normal is about [email protected] for these chips.

Check out THE ocn guide~ https://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics/

Also, use manual voltage always. Vcore will be 0.02v above what you set in bios, but you won't see that unless you're looking at the right sensor (and there are lots of wrong sensors that will show you VID instead of vcore)

so much little stuff with haswell it's impossible to cover without writing a thousand word rant, so just read the guide

Thank you, I definitely will.

Can you tell me what is HT? Hyper Threading I'm guessing?

Why would you turn it off if at all?

Thought it's always a benefit to have it on.

Cyro999 04-28-2015 11:13 PM

Quote:

Thank you, I definitely will.

Can you tell me what is HT? Hyper Threading I'm guessing?

Why would you turn it off if at all?

Thought it's always a benefit to have it on.

It's a significant benefit for some loads and usually doesn't impair performance, but a 4c8t CPU at 1.3v will be hotter than a 4c4t CPU at 1.3v in the same load. For a video encoder, you might see 90c with HT on and 78c with it off with the same cooling, though the 90c will get like 22% more performance.

XLifted 04-28-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

It's a significant benefit for some loads and usually doesn't impair performance, but a 4c8t CPU at 1.3v will be hotter than a 4c4t CPU at 1.3v in the same load. For a video encoder, you might see 90c with HT on and 78c with it off with the same cooling, though the 90c will get like 22% more performance.

You have lost me with those terms tongue.gif

My understanding is to keep under 95 Celcius, correct?

Cyro999 04-29-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

You have lost me with those terms tongue.gif

My understanding is to keep under 95 Celcius, correct?

4 core 4 thread vs 4 core 8 thread

and no, hotter = bad. If it's constantly at 95c when video encoding or playing a game that maxes all cores, that's not good. I keep to high 70's with peaks into the lower 80's in worst case scenario+sustained load myself, with real world loads (encoder stress test)

higher temps will speed up degradation (so high temps + high volts combination + long loads = bad) but it's not really well known by how much. Overall though you should at least stay well clear of the throttle point (staying under ~85-90c after an extended load test for example, so if your room/case temperature rose by 5c, it'd still be 90-95c peak)

jordan1794 04-29-2015 03:08 PM

My i7 4790K does 4.8 Ghz with 1.265 vcore.
My LEPA aquachanger 240 keeps my temperatures between 69 and 77 (core temperatures: 75-77-76-69)
I've read of many people needing 1.35 or higher vcore to hit 4.8 though(Which is quite a bit higher than safe). I think my chip is definitely on the high end of the spectrum. I also have my Uncore ratio up to 4.4 with only 1.05 vring.