Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [AMD] AMD Financial Analyst Day 2015 (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1554329-amd-amd-financial-analyst-day-2015-a.html)

maarten12100 05-06-2015 07:23 AM

Quote:
Executive Presentations
Lisa Su, President and Chief Executive Officer
Mark Papermaster, Senior Vice President and Chief Technology Officer
Forrest Norrod, Senior Vice President and General Manager Enterprise, Embedded, and Semi-Custom Business Group
Devinder Kumar, Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

Source

I expect those slides leaked by Insider2015 to make an appearance possible with more slides. A lot of info about Carrizo, Zen and Fiji is bound to be spilled considering we don't know that much about the later 2. Just a few hours away have to work but will watch it when I get home or maybe I read the summary. Looking forward to it thumb.gif

svenge 05-06-2015 07:34 AM

Hopefully it's better than some of their previous presenations...

maarten12100 05-06-2015 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

It's funny AMD hasn't actually increased core count ever since interlagos. Intel on the other hand futures 18 cores in their chips.
So stereotyping about something AMD may have done 5 years ago at which point HT wasn't as good as it is today yet doesn't make sense.

If Zen doesn't perform that is bad new for AMD and about the same news for every consumer that buys a new chip. Good luck paying 600 euros for a piece of silicon that with R&D costed less than 200 total to make. redface.gif

amay200 05-06-2015 07:45 AM

Let the waiting begin!

These events usually lead to disappointment for me as they don't usually lead to many revelations regarding future architectures.

I'll be interesting to see if they talk much about their 2 semicustom silicon contracts.

p4inkill3r 05-06-2015 07:46 AM

Quote:
If Zen doesn't perform that is bad new for AMD and about the same news for every consumer that buys a new chip. Good luck paying 600 euros for a piece of silicon that with R&D costed less than 200 total to make.
Unfortunately, there are those that would willingly do so if it meant the death of AMD.

That being said, I am anxious to hear some new information out of this meeting.

RagingCain 05-06-2015 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

Quote:

It's funny AMD hasn't actually increased core count ever since interlagos. Intel on the other hand futures 18 cores in their chips.
So stereotyping about something AMD may have done 5 years ago at which point HT wasn't as good as it is today yet doesn't make sense.

If Zen doesn't perform that is bad new for AMD and about the same news for every consumer that buys a new chip. Good luck paying 600 euros for a piece of silicon that with R&D costed less than 200 total to make. redface.gif

Mind you, I would kill be over the moon for an 18 core i7 desktop CPU. I would would meh at an AMD 18 core CPU.

svenge 05-06-2015 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarten12100 View Post

It's funny AMD hasn't actually increased core count (or IPC) ever since interlagos. Intel on the other hand features 18 cores in their chips with much greater IPC due to superior design and manufacturing...

Fixed that for you.

The main difference between Intel's addition of cores to their server chips and what AMD did is that Intel's core count wasn't designed to paper over a design that was massively inferior for almost all work loads in terms of performance and performance/watt. Instead, it was a natural outgrowth of their leadership in node size.

Also, how could AMD have increased the core count given that they sold their fabs to GloFo (who has yet to mass-produce anything smaller than 28nm, and even that node is wholly unsuitable for "construction core" chips). You'd pretty much have to encapsulate an entire 32nm wafer to get a 18-core die on AMD's platform, and then make a MCM module twice as large to hold two of them like the current G34 server chips do...

On top of that, AMD's x86 server market share is less than 5%, which means that there's absolutely no demand (and subsequent profits) to justify the R&D costs involved with new CPU designs in that sector. And as we all have seen over the last several years, without new server chips for AMD there can be no new designs trickling down to the AM3+ platform.

FallenFaux 05-06-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

As someone who manages a bunch of ESXi hosts, I would love for them to come out with the rumored 32 core CPU.

Edit:
Quote:

...Also, how could AMD have increased the core count given that they sold their fabs to GloFo (who has yet to mass-produce anything smaller than 28nm, and even that node is wholly unsuitable for "construction core" chips)...

GloFo is using Samsung's 14nm tech.

azanimefan 05-06-2015 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

Mind you, I would kill be over the moon for an 18 core i7 desktop CPU. I would would meh at an AMD 18 core CPU.

and if the hypothetical amd had a better ipc then anything intel had?

lets be honest here, we're all performance nuts. many of us remember when AMD was king of the performance hill, and love their chips where they were great. So i don't think anyone here would be particularly oposed to an AMD chip that came out with better performance then anything intel had on the market.

that said, the chances of that happening are pretty slim. I would love the cpu market to be a two horse show again, but it's probably not going to happen. If it's close to intel's current gen IPC it will just stretch out AMD's long slow death. if it's not even matching sandy bridge performance we might as well stick a fork in AMD and wonder about when congress will break up intel as a monopoly...

Ganf 05-06-2015 08:25 AM

I'm all about Moar corez if Zen pans out. DX12 and Vulkan love moar.