Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   PC Gaming (https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc-gaming/)
-   -   [Official] SOMA - Information and Discussion (https://www.overclock.net/forum/78-pc-gaming/1573586-official-soma-information-discussion.html)

boredgunner 09-13-2015 07:52 PM

No love for this game at all? The release is imminent (Sept 22 2015, PC, Mac, Linux, and PS4). This is the latest horror game from the people who developed Penumbra and Amnesia: The Dark Descent, the two games that revitalized and reshaped the horror genre. No, this is not from the people who developed Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282140/

http://somagame.com/
Quote:
You are certain that you have a subjective experience. There is no doubt that you are a conscious being. But how can you know for sure that others are?

Is there anything another person can do to truly convince you that they are conscious too, or is there no way of being absolutely sure?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

This game had one of the most interesting marketing campaigns I've seen in a while, with the release of videos such as the ones seen above. I really cannot wait to see what this game offers, I loved their previous games and I love the premise of this one even more. What is consciousness? Is there a soul? How can we be sure that those all around us are living, thinking beings? Or are they just imitations of life, are they figments of our imagination? How can we be sure that our perception of the world is the correct one?

Too many horror games don't ask questions, they're just dark corridors and jump scares. This is a breath of fresh air. Frictional Games raised the bar with Penumbra and Amnesia: The Dark Descent and nobody has come close since.

It's marketing really gives off SCP vibes. While most would immediately relate SOMA to SCP-079, I'd say it's more related to SCP-1193.

SOMA is clearly of higher production value than Amnesia and Penumbra. It features a voiced protagonist and far more character interaction.

This game uses HPL3 engine, the evolution of the engine used in their previous games. It uses OpenGL as the graphics API, and sadly sound API has been downgraded from OpenAL to FMOD. Some other things about the game/engine:

• V-Sync functions in a weird way. Disabling it caps the FPS to 60, otherwise it's uncapped. Since I have a G-SYNC monitor I just leave V-Sync on to uncap it (although it can be uncapped in My Documents\My Games\soma\main\user_name_settings.cfg) since G-SYNC overrides in-game V-Sync anyway.
  • Instructions for disabling the crosshair can be found here, but I also had to set the line below it to false (so that's const bool gbDrawDefaultCrosshair = false; in addition to the steps listed in that guide).
  • The only AA method is FXAA and it's highly ineffective as expected.
  • I have not found functioning AA bits for this game. 0x0000F0C1 does not work.
  • DSR does not seem to work properly and is thus unusable.
  • It would seem the game needs to be run in windowed mode or borderless windowed in order to capture video.
  • To disable chromatic aberration, go to Options -> Game and disable Color Separation.

It can be preordered for $27 in the Steam link provided at the top of this post (that's a 10% preorder discount). Since it has launched, it can be purchased for $30. System requirements are listed on that Steam page too: recommended specs are merely a Core i5 or "AMD FX 2.4 GHz," 8GB RAM, and a GTX 480 or Radeon HD 5970. Performance on my system an i7 2600 with turbo and GTX 980 (my previous system) = 75-120 FPS on average on max detail at 2560 x 1440, so it fluctuates a lot.

Frictional Games has also created a YouTube webisode series following the launch of SOMA. Check it out! It doesn't spoil much of the game and does a great job setting the tone, and gives you a look at some of the characters you'll find within the game. It's a sort of prologue, however it may still be best to watch it after beating the game.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWjnM4fZ4U8wLxrFXjL-95ME0QJwdz8m8

Screenshots (2560 x 1440 max detail, some shown with ReShade Dither type 2):

Discuss.

tristanbear 09-14-2015 10:25 AM

I can't see the pictures atm because of school block but if it's developed by Frictional Games I'm in. These guys are really good at making horror! I absolutely loved the Penumbra series as well as the first Amnesia game. thumb.gif

Edit: Just got home and it looks fantastic!

boredgunner 09-16-2015 10:00 AM

Thankfully the developers seem to be focusing more on writing/story again, like with Penumbra. Too bad the i7 6700k is impossible to obtain, I wanted to have my new PC built for this game but nope!

Dimensive 09-16-2015 10:06 AM

I've been looking forward to this game and it's finally almost here! biggrin.gif

boredgunner 09-19-2015 08:11 PM

New trailer:

Sheira 09-22-2015 04:33 PM

This game seems really well made and polished. The story is cool too... didn't get to many really scary moments yet, but I am sure there won't be a shortage of them.

My recording:

boredgunner 09-22-2015 04:39 PM

Some quick things about this game (more about the engine actually):

• V-Sync functions in a weird way. Disabling it caps the FPS to 60, otherwise it's uncapped. Since I have a G-SYNC monitor I just leave V-Sync on to uncap it (although it can be uncapped in My Documents\My Games\soma\main\user_name_settings.cfg) since G-SYNC overrides in-game V-Sync anyway.
  • Instructions for disabling the crosshair can be found here, but this didn't work for me.
  • The only AA method is FXAA and it's highly ineffective as expected.
  • I have not found functioning AA bits for this game. 0x0000F0C1 does not work.

Added this and more to the first post.

Reloaded83 09-23-2015 09:50 AM

Played 64 minutes last night. I'll preface this with, "I'm not really a horror game type of person". I love horror movies, though they rarely scare me. Games on the other hand, I'm a big baby about. Outlast on 3 monitors proved to be too much, and I never finished it. So far though, I'm loving this game.

I haven't gotten very far as you can see, so I haven't even seen whatever it is that's crashing through doors and things, but the atmosphere and over-all sound effects are quite well done. Playing with headphones in a dark room doesn't help either. I'm REALLY hoping to not NOPE out of this game too soon, but we'll see how it goes. I am pretty sure even after an hour of play, I am not very far into the game, since I've been taking it so slowly as I do with most horror games. It has done a quite good job of sucking me into the world. thumb.gif

boredgunner 09-23-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaded83 View Post

Played 64 minutes last night. I'll preface this with, "I'm not really a horror game type of person". I love horror movies, though they rarely scare me. Games on the other hand, I'm a big baby about. Outlast on 3 monitors proved to be too much, and I never finished it. So far though, I'm loving this game.

I haven't gotten very far as you can see, so I haven't even seen whatever it is that's crashing through doors and things, but the atmosphere and over-all sound effects are quite well done. Playing with headphones in a dark room doesn't help either. I'm REALLY hoping to not NOPE out of this game too soon, but we'll see how it goes. I am pretty sure even after an hour of play, I am not very far into the game, since I've been taking it so slowly as I do with most horror games. It has done a quite good job of sucking me into the world. thumb.gif

On a superficial level it's less scary than Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Penumbra - this was absolutely wrong and premature.

I'm calling it right now: this game has the best sound effects ever. Literally every single object crashing against every single surface type creates a unique and accurate sound. Based on its virtual surround support I'd wager it makes very good use of surround sound.

Reloaded83 09-23-2015 10:38 AM

Agreed. I'm using virtual surround on my headphones though I don't know if it does much. I was actually shocked when I threw something and it landed on some shards of glass and actually made the correct sound! You're right about everything making a correct sound. In fact, it's made me uneasy more than once when I walked over a different surface (like say a fence was knocked over by something the second time walking through, and now it makes the sound of chain link). It adds quite a bit.

I believe I played a bit of The Dark Descent, but it was a while back it feels like, and I remember only playing a short bit and never finishing it. As with most other horror games. redface.gif

Good to hear it's "less scary" though. I might actually make it through this one. I'll let you know after I get about another hour to play tonight. thumb.gif

boredgunner 09-23-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Agreed. I'm using virtual surround on my headphones though I don't know if it does much. I was actually shocked when I threw something and it landed on some shards of glass and actually made the correct sound! You're right about everything making a correct sound. In fact, it's made me uneasy more than once when I walked over a different surface (like say a fence was knocked over by something the second time walking through, and now it makes the sound of chain link). It adds quite a bit.

I believe I played a bit of The Dark Descent, but it was a while back it feels like, and I remember only playing a short bit and never finishing it. As with most other horror games. redface.gif

I wish I had your nerves. I'd say you experience these games properly. That's what I say to people who refuse to play horror games out of fear. "A horror game scares you? That's exactly why you should play it. That's what the creators intended."

I highly recommend going back and playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and also the Penumbra collection. thumb.gif

Reloaded83 09-23-2015 10:57 AM

I never made it far enough in the Dark Descent to see the "monster" or whatever it is that I've seen in videos of people further into the game.

I hear ya though, it's a tough balancing act I suppose between being numb to the scary situations, and so scared you can't even play. I'm very curious and engrossed in this world they've created though, so I'm going to do my best to push through. You're right, it is good to be scared by it as that's what it's supposed to do, sometimes I just can't take any more though! I'm amazed I got through as much of Alien Isolation in the Oculus Rift as I did. And I mainly stopped playing that because I reached a point that I just kept dying over and over, so I became frustraed. Part of that was probably BECAUSE I was playing it in the Rift though.

I share your view on nerves, but with people and scary movies. I keep waiting for one to really scare me! smile.gif

GetToTheChopaa 09-23-2015 11:12 AM

Nvidia driver 355.98 crashes constantly with the GOG version. Lowering the overclock, which was stable with all my other games, didn't change anything. Anyone else having issues with Nv driver?

Edit: Gonna try 356.04, see if changes anything.

Reloaded83 09-23-2015 11:17 AM

What kind of crash? When I first tried to play, it would get to the title screen with "Frictional Games" and then freeze. Then I could click and close the program. I verified the files and added the 2 exe files to MSI OSD program, and it worked after that. Pretty sure it was Afterburner causing the problem, as it has for me in other games a few times as well.

GetToTheChopaa 09-23-2015 11:28 AM

Like I said, it's the NVidia driver that crashes. I was able to play with Afterburner on, no problem, game didn't freeze or crash, except for the NV driver to crash and recover every 20-30 minutes. Just installed 456.04 driver, gonna play a little see what's what...

Reloaded83 09-23-2015 11:42 AM

Sorry, I guess I mis-read what you wrote. Thought you just meant it was crashing with that driver. Not the driver itself.

boredgunner 09-23-2015 11:50 AM

No driver issues here although I forget which driver I use. It's one of the 355 WHQL ones. I have the Steam version.
Quote:

I never made it far enough in the Dark Descent to see the "monster" or whatever it is that I've seen in videos of people further into the game.

I hear ya though, it's a tough balancing act I suppose between being numb to the scary situations, and so scared you can't even play. I'm very curious and engrossed in this world they've created though, so I'm going to do my best to push through. You're right, it is good to be scared by it as that's what it's supposed to do, sometimes I just can't take any more though! I'm amazed I got through as much of Alien Isolation in the Oculus Rift as I did. And I mainly stopped playing that because I reached a point that I just kept dying over and over, so I became frustraed. Part of that was probably BECAUSE I was playing it in the Rift though.

I share your view on nerves, but with people and scary movies. I keep waiting for one to really scare me! smile.gif

There are many monsters in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Though I suppose telling you this doesn't encourage you lol.

Reloaded83 09-23-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner View Post

There are many monsters in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Though I suppose telling you this doesn't encourage you lol.

Oh. Well poop. If I can make it through this game, I'll go back and re-try the past ones. smile.gif

GetToTheChopaa 09-23-2015 12:46 PM

All right, looks like everything is fine. No more driver crashes with 356.04. Like the game so far (Lambda).

Reloaded83 09-23-2015 09:20 PM

Another hour in and still going strong. Mostly.
Had my first encounter with the pacing robot. Somehow saw me in my hiding spot. So, my character now seems injured and can't run as fast. Limps. Is there some way to fix that? Is there health or other healing things in this game, or just time? I saved and quit about 10 minutes after that, after dodging the thing yet again to get up to the comms center. I'd say that's good enough progress for now.

I'm still VERY much enthralled with the world they've created and even more curious now. Very cool game so far. thumb.gif

GetToTheChopaa 09-24-2015 05:41 AM

This is how you heal yourself:> Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
in order to heal yourself, interact with those pods with black tubes coming out of them. They are located on every level, but easy to pass if you're in a hurry

boredgunner 09-24-2015 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetToTheChopaa View Post

in order to heal yourself, interact with those pods with black tubes coming out of them. They are located on every level, but easy to pass if you're in a hurry
I haven't beaten the game yet but I wonder if there is a downside to using those? What exactly happens to Simon when using them? I'm leaving Lambda now and things have really picked up, it's more interesting than ever.

Reloaded83 09-24-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Thank you! Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Suddenly it makes sense since they have a weird melted "plus" symbol. I was wondering what they did besides trigger the robot sometimes.

Reloaded83 09-24-2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

I haven't beaten the game yet but I wonder if there is a downside to using those? What exactly happens to Simon when using them? I'm leaving Lambda now and things have really picked up, it's more interesting than ever.
I'm sorry, I'm never very good at understanding what some of the stuff is in games. What is considered Lambda? I personally just got upstairs into the comm center and saved there last night. I've been going very slow and reading everything, but things don't always click easily. Thanks.

XKaan 09-24-2015 08:59 AM

Game is awesome! Work has been busy so I'm not very far, but I'm really enjoying it!

Agreed on the sound - aside from the voice-overs this game has some amazing sound effects and ambient music.

boredgunner 09-24-2015 08:59 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry, I'm never very good at understanding what some of the stuff is in games. What is considered Lambda? I personally just got upstairs into the comm center and saved there last night. I've been going very slow and reading everything, but things don't always click easily. Thanks.

This isn't even a spoiler so I'll omit the tags. Lambda is the name of one of the other stations, like Upsilon. I'll leave the rest for you to find out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKaan View Post

Game is awesome! Work has been busy so I'm not very far, but I'm really enjoying it!

Agreed on the sound - aside from the voice-overs this game has some amazing sound effects and ambient music.

Interestingly enough when you hear Simon speaking under water, the voice actor actually is under water so again it's very realistic. As for voice acting, it's pretty good. Nothing particularly amazing but it's fine. So far the dialogue isn't quite as memorable as Penumbra (especially Black Plague) but it serves its purpose as thought provoking material. I only have less than 4 hours in SOMA at the moment.

Reloaded83 09-24-2015 09:01 AM

Quote:

This isn't even a spoiler so I'll omit the tags. Lambda is the name of one of the other stations, like Upsilon. I'll leave the rest for you to find out.

Ah I see. Thank you. smile.gif Hope I have more time to play this evening. We'll see.

Reloaded83 09-24-2015 09:04 AM

So far I think the voice over is pretty good, short of a few lines here and there. IMO the animation of the people is what is letting things down for me at times.

Reloaded83 09-24-2015 09:08 PM

Another hour down, and made it to Lambda and scoped it out a bit. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Stupid thing got me while I was trying to help Catherine. Tired to run up some stairs and got stuck on them. frown.gif All healed up now though. Creeped the heck out of me.

boredgunner 09-25-2015 08:07 AM

Quote:

Another hour down, and made it to Lambda and scoped it out a bit. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Stupid thing got me while I was trying to help Catherine. Tired to run up some stairs and got stuck on them. frown.gif All healed up now though. Creeped the heck out of me.

Yeah I figured that enemy would scare the crap out of you. Wait until later...

Reloaded83 09-25-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Yeah I figured that enemy would scare the crap out of you. Wait until later...

It was already a bit more difficult to click "play" last night... *Edit: In fact my wife heard me yelp at that point from the living room while watching TV.* But I admit that I was thinking about the story and what may happen later in the game after logging out for the night, so I'm quite curious to see how things turn out!

tristanbear 09-25-2015 08:53 AM

I want it! frown.gif

Reloaded83 09-25-2015 08:33 PM

I.... I don't want to play anymore...........

boredgunner 09-25-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

I.... I don't want to play anymore...........

There's always tomorrow. wink.gif

Reloaded83 09-25-2015 09:03 PM

I wanted to find out more about the story, so I decided to jump back in. Big mistake. Put simply, that's the first time I've died in the game, and I think my heart hurts. That thing is creepy to the max. I'm in CR something or something. I don't even remember. This game is intense for me. Calling it for tonight.

GetToTheChopaa 09-26-2015 08:09 AM

Quote:

I wanted to find out more about the story, so I decided to jump back in. Big mistake. Put simply, that's the first time I've died in the game, and I think my heart hurts. That thing is creepy to the max. I'm in CR something or something. I don't even remember. This game is intense for me. Calling it for tonight.

@Reloaded83 just turn the lights on and go for it! biggrin.gif
I don't think it was quite as in tense for me as it sounds like it is for you mate, but I could absolutely feel my heart throbbing and shrinking at times as I was trying to sneak around that creepy bastard. I missed all these feeling I got from a game, very happy I got it with SOMA.
Unfortunately, I finished the game yesterday...

Reloaded83 09-26-2015 08:14 AM

Well the lights are dimmed, and the door to the room is open, but I don't think any amount of lights would fix it for sure for me. I just get lost in the game, and almost forget that I'm just sitting in a chair, maneuvering a character around a 3D world. I really do have quite a weak constitution when it comes to horror games, but the story of this one is keeping me going. Hopefully I can get past this chase part and move on tonight.

Reloaded83 09-26-2015 09:16 PM

Wonderful. I've managed to jump my character into a place that I'm unable to get out of no matter what I do. And save and restart puts me back in the same place that I'm stuck in. Awesome.

GetToTheChopaa 09-26-2015 09:43 PM

Happened to me too, load an earlier save
Edit: By earlier I mean the previous, obviously.biggrin.gif You shouldn't loose to much progress

Reloaded83 09-26-2015 10:00 PM

Oh, I didn't realize I could do that. Thought the only option was "continue". Good to know, thanks! thumb.gif

boredgunner 09-27-2015 08:05 AM

Quote:

Oh, I didn't realize I could do that. Thought the only option was "continue". Good to know, thanks! thumb.gif

Yeah you can load games and you also have the ability to just hit "Exit" instead of "Save and Exit" so you don't have to save when stuck in a place like that.

Silent Scone 09-28-2015 11:01 AM

Just completed this. 9 hours playtime. Loved it. Very well paced and just the right amount of scares - if not largely depressing!

Great game.

boredgunner 09-28-2015 05:49 PM

I can't play the game anymore. The latest patch broke my game, and even a clean reinstall (discarding my old user profile) doesn't help. Crashes when loading the main menu. I seem to be in the minority though.

Reloaded83 09-28-2015 08:18 PM

Patch 1.01 caused me to crash at the main menu as well, just like it did when I first started playing. I closed MSI afterburner and the OSD and it worked fine. So, it seems for me anyway, it's caused my Afterburner.

boredgunner 09-28-2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Patch 1.01 caused me to crash at the main menu as well, just like it did when I first started playing. I closed MSI afterburner and the OSD and it worked fine. So, it seems for me anyway, it's caused my Afterburner.

You may have saved me from clinical depression! Granted the game's plot keeps losing hope and getting even darker anyway. I will give this a try tomorrow. I haven't even logged into Steam on my PC for the past two days just because SOMA hasn't been working. Its game world is so much better than any other crafted by Frictional Games, not that the others were lacking.

TwirlyWhirly555 09-29-2015 06:48 AM

Finished it today , loved the game !

the part before the credits roll kinda makes me sad though

boredgunner 09-30-2015 07:02 PM

I'm curious if anyone here gets stuttering. I see lots of complaints about it on the Steam discussions, but I get none. I assume G-SYNC is my savior.

Reloaded83 09-30-2015 08:21 PM

I haven't noticed any. I notice a quick pause at times when it auto saves, but that's the only problem I've noticed thus far.

Silent Scone 09-30-2015 10:59 PM

Frame rate was super inconsistent for me. Dropped hard
at times

GetToTheChopaa 10-01-2015 08:11 AM

I remember some instances when I had frame drops, but for the most part it was pretty good. Of course, it took me quite a while to realize that with v-sync off the game is capped at 60 fps and when I turned v-sync on on my 96 Hz Qnix all of a sudden I was playing at 96 fps... I just found that a little weird!

boredgunner 10-01-2015 08:15 AM

Quote:

I remember some instances when I had frame drops, but for the most part it was pretty good. Of course, it took me quite a while to realize that with v-sync off the game is capped at 60 fps and when I turned v-sync on on my 96 Hz Qnix all of a sudden I was playing at 96 fps... I just found that a little weird!

Yeah V-Sync behaves very strangely in this game. I included this info in the first post when making the thread. This game is a reminder to everyone that a variable refresh rate display is a necessity.

Silent Scone 10-01-2015 08:22 AM

It's really not, though lol. It's the frame rate inconsistency that's the issue. Having a variable refresh display with G-Sync or FreeSync is only a remedy. Not a great one in my case at 4K as the frame rate drops to 30 or less at times. Something to do with the light sources.

I really enjoyed SOMA, and given the small team there's little to be resolved by lashing out at the developers, however it is their problem to fix

boredgunner 10-01-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post

It's really not, though lol. It's the frame rate inconsistency that's the issue. Having a variable refresh display with G-Sync or FreeSync is only a remedy. Not a great one in my case at 4K as the frame rate drops to 30 or less at times. Something to do with the light sources.

I really enjoyed SOMA, and given the small team there's little to be resolved by lashing out at the developers, however it is their problem to fix

Yeah I won't go too hard on them, but this should serve as a lesson. They're a small indie studio making their own engine so things are bound to go wrong. We're lucky the game is as stable as it is (in terms of crashes, which don't happen unless you're running an OSD program), and I never ran into broken quests or anything except for when a physics glitch caused a quest to be impossible to complete. Nothing a simple reload didn't fix.

Now that UE4 is free I hope to see more studios, including this one, switch to it for future games. My signature gives that away.

Silent Scone 10-01-2015 09:00 AM

Yes I didn't have a single crash in 9 hours playtime. Won't make excuses for the performance though, one can only point these things out.

boredgunner 10-01-2015 07:09 PM

Has anyone been watching the YouTube series? Added link to the OP. Pretty interesting. I recommend watching it before playing the game, although it's not vital. It provides backstory for Pathos-II and some of the people there; some of whom in some way shape or form appear in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWjnM4fZ4U8wLxrFXjL-95ME0QJwdz8m8

Reloaded83 10-01-2015 09:08 PM

Ok so now I'm noticing the frame drops that were mentioned since I'm looking for them. :/
Also, got stuck at Delta and had to read a walk through because I spent over an hour there trying to figure out what to do, so I haven't actually progressed further since my last post. Maybe I'll get some more time tomorrow to actually get further into the story now that I know what to do.

Reloaded83 10-02-2015 09:37 PM

6 hours total in so far, and I've gotten into Theta and explored some. And now the game has gotten very creepy again, and I question continuing to play. Hopefully, I'll play some more tomorrow evening, and scare the heck out of myself. smile.gif

boredgunner 10-05-2015 08:18 PM

I finally beat the game. I considered Penumbra and Amnesia: The Dark Descent to be the best horror games ever made but SOMA surpasses them in just about every regard. Once again Frictional Games elevates the genre to a different level. I guess it's time to check out the supersecret.rar file now.

JTHMfreak 10-05-2015 08:55 PM

Amnesia: the dark descent is the only game to ever give me a sensE of foreboding, looking forward to this one after I go back too finish dark descent

boredgunner 10-10-2015 03:12 PM

Finally added screenshots to the first post.

knightsilver 10-10-2015 09:39 PM

I'm guessing I missed it, what game engine?

Edit: ?
http://www.moddb.com/engines/hpl3
https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl3/tutorials/basic_modeling

Looks like Maya importing only?

boredgunner 10-11-2015 09:35 AM

Looks like it. I don't do any modeling, but I made a custom story (campaign) for Amnesia which uses HPL 2 engine. This one looks extremely similar so I may be making mods for it too. Easy scripting (AngelScript, based on C++), and the SDK for Amnesia is extremely easy to use.

knightsilver 10-11-2015 10:45 PM

Thx for the info, didn't know game engines/SDK's have come such a long way, past decade, lols...

Been thinking about at least learning Python and C#

boredgunner 10-12-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsilver View Post

Thx for the info, didn't know game engines/SDK's have come such a long way, past decade, lols...

Been thinking about at least learning Python and C#

Knowing Python and C# is useful, but not so much for game development where you'll hardly find those languages used.

Katana 10-13-2015 03:57 PM

Quote:

Knowing Python and C# is useful, but not so much for game development where you'll hardly find those languages used.
Ori and the Blind Forest was written 100% in C# (Unity 5 scripting) so it's not completely absent. Usually a good engine will have some scripting environment, since writing too much practical, broad-stroke logic in C++ feels like moving individual teaspoons of sand.

knightsilver 10-15-2015 08:05 AM

Been looking at Unity myself, especially with native Blender Importing.

But, this Soma looks more my speed, thought/logic, and deepth of the game. Id love to be able to build a game between SOMA,HL/BM and Batman, just seems like we see less and less game where you can use your environment as gameplay and or to use the environment to take out the bad guy!

boredgunner 10-15-2015 08:08 AM

Quote:

Been looking at Unity myself, especially with native Blender Importing.

But, this Soma looks more my speed, thought/logic, and deepth of the game. Id love to be able to build a game between SOMA,HL/BM and Batman, just seems like we see less and less game where you can use your environment as gameplay and or to use the environment to take out the bad guy!

SOMA has an abundance of environment interaction but there is no "taking out the bad guys" here. No combat, and it's a horror game. You should try it. SOMA, Half Life, and Batman (where does this come in) are all conflicting and incompatible ideas.

tristanbear 10-15-2015 08:26 AM

Are there any large pits in SOMA? I remember an area in Amnesia where you could trick the monster into falling into a large pit which basically killed it. As it couldn't get to you anymore.It's not necessary of course but I love getting just a LITTLE payback tongue.gif

boredgunner 10-15-2015 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanbear View Post

Are there any large pits in SOMA? I remember an area in Amnesia where you could trick the monster into falling into a large pit which basically killed it. As it couldn't get to you anymore.

I remember that too, on the Choir level. But there's nothing like that in SOMA.

In Amnesia you can actually kill the water lurkers by going really close to them, and then throwing a heavy object directly onto them. They make a "death scream" and they leave behind a pool of blood.

Penumbra: Overture actually has combat. Everyone who liked Amnesia should definitely play Penumbra and SOMA, which are both deeper games than Amnesia (especially SOMA).

knightsilver 10-15-2015 09:55 AM

BG; Conflicting, maybe, but it can be done. Your just not thinking 4th dimensionally!

boredgunner 10-15-2015 10:00 AM

Quote:

BG; Conflicting, maybe, but it can be done. Your just not thinking 4th dimensionally!

Well, you haven't even played SOMA yet so you don't know what it's like. Hopefully that changes soon!

tristanbear 10-15-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:
I remember that too, on the Choir level. But there's nothing like that in SOMA

Oh Darn. Anyways I'll be picking the game up tonight! I got high hopes for this one biggrin.gif
Quote:
In Amnesia you can actually kill the water lurkers by going really close to them, and then throwing a heavy object directly onto them. They make a "death scream" and they leave behind a pool of blood.

Really? I never knew that. The only thing I used heavy objects for was to block a monsters path or keep them out of reach if I got cornered.
Quote:
Penumbra: Overture actually has combat. Everyone who liked Amnesia should definitely play Penumbra and SOMA, which are both deeper games than Amnesia (especially SOMA).

Yeah, you had a little pick axe/hammer right? I enjoyed Overture but I always thought that Black Plague was the best out of the two. The first monster scene where he comes up behind you in a room with only one way out....Terrifying.

boredgunner 10-15-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanbear View Post

Oh Darn. Anyways I'll be picking the game up tonight! I got high hopes for this one biggrin.gif
Really? I never knew that. The only thing I used heavy objects for was to block a monsters path or keep them out of reach if I got cornered.
Yeah, you had a little pick axe/hammer right? I enjoyed Overture but I always thought that Black Plague was the best out of the two. The first monster scene where he comes up behind you in a room with only one way out....Terrifying.

Penumbra: Overture has several weapons: a hammer, a pickaxe, a broom (yeah, and it's found after the hammer and pickaxe), and dynamite. Black Plague definitely is even more impressive than Overture, although for those wondering, Overture and Black Plague combine to make one game and neither is complete without the other.

knightsilver 10-18-2015 05:42 AM

Take out the bad guy with what's just in ur environment, no weapons sounds very cool!

boredgunner 10-18-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Take out the bad guy with what's just in ur environment, no weapons sounds very cool!

No. Once again, there is no "taking out the bad guy" at all. If you want to take out the bad guy with what's in your environment, the first game that comes to mind is Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic. It's an action game, has all kinds of weapons and magic, but is the best example of using the environment to take out your enemies. The game is extremely skill based and not a good choice for casual gamers at all, so I wouldn't recommend it to you. It also has no story focus so it's the polar opposite of the 100% story driven and atmospheric SOMA.

Unless you were referring to that one sequence we mentioned in Amnesia: The Dark Descent, where you can lead two monsters off a cliff to their deaths. Nothing special about that, and this is only possible once in the game.

You like action games so SOMA probably isn't for you. Didn't you try the Amnesia demo? That gives you a decent idea on what to expect from SOMA... sort of.

- EDIT: I will describe what hostile encounters are like in SOMA. You're totally helpless against them so you have to either sneak around them, perhaps throwing random objects to create distractions, or you run for your life. They'll kill you or brutally incapacitate you in one hit, and if the latter happens then you black out briefly and wake up badly wounded with a bad limp and gimped movement that only go away when you find and use a "healing pod." It's horror, it's all about tension. When an enemy is around, you will cringe whenever you accidentally kick an object on the floor and make an unwanted noise. Enemies are intense but interesting, since if you get close enough you can often hear whispering or even crying.

TwirlyWhirly555 10-18-2015 10:18 AM

Did you have trouble getting past the last enemy ; power suit guy ?

Online after finishing the game I did see that he was apparently rather difficult to get by , I found it not to bad , I did spend a lot of the time siting in a corner facing the wall though : P

boredgunner 10-18-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwirlyWhirly555 View Post

Did you have trouble getting past the last enemy ; power suit guy ?

Online after finishing the game I did see that he was apparently rather difficult to get by , I found it not to bad , I did spend a lot of the time siting in a corner facing the wall though : P

Nope. I only had trouble with the enemy on the derelict underwater ship. That part was crazy in a good way. Also this enemy:

boredgunner 12-24-2015 05:53 PM

Bump, this game is one of today's highlighted deals on Steam. Now is the time to get it if you don't have it already. Beware that this game will really highlight the limitations of your display lol. IPS glow ruined it for me, and it easily shows vignetting and banding issues on OLED displays apparently.

sepiashimmer 01-30-2016 12:02 PM

I can't believe how I could have missed such a good game as this. No one even informs people of it.

evoll88 01-30-2016 12:06 PM

Just played through this a couple weeks ago and it was good. I did have to read online to understand the ending a little better but once I did it makes me want to play it again now that I know more of the story etc.

boredgunner 01-30-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiashimmer View Post

I can't believe how I could have missed such a good game as this. No one even informs people of it.

Yeah the industry only talks about very shallow, casual games. Writing and art sadly have little place in the video game industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

Just played through this a couple weeks ago and it was good. I did have to read online to understand the ending a little better but once I did it makes me want to play it again now that I know more of the story etc.

The ending is straightforward. So are most major details in SOMA's story actually. The more subtle parts are less significant plot events which require more exploration in order to make sense of them, and also the character of Johan Ross who just isn't handled properly (it's like he was rushed).

sepiashimmer 02-02-2016 02:51 AM

For some reason I'm unable to record this game with ShadowPlay. Reminds me of an old game called Temujin.

boredgunner 02-02-2016 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiashimmer View Post

For some reason I'm unable to record this game with ShadowPlay. Reminds me of an old game called Temujin.

Doesn't work with Dxtory either. OBS monitor capture in Windows 10 seems to be the only way, although this is generally the best way to record anyway.

Sir Beregond 07-18-2016 08:30 AM

How have I never heard of this game? I had no idea Frictional games had another horror game out. I will have to buy this tonight.

I'm a huge fan of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and usually replay it every October/Halloween. It's scripted pretty heavily, so it's never the same as playing the first time, but still, I absolutely love it. I'm huge into games that create true immersion and atmosphere, and Amnesia nailed it.

Really looking forward to checking out SOMA.

boredgunner 07-18-2016 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post

How have I never heard of this game? I had no idea Frictional games had another horror game out. I will have to buy this tonight.

I'm a huge fan of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and usually replay it every October/Halloween. It's scripted pretty heavily, so it's never the same as playing the first time, but still, I absolutely love it. I'm huge into games that create true immersion and atmosphere, and Amnesia nailed it.

Really looking forward to checking out SOMA.

Amnesia was one of the most finely crafted horror games ever made, like its predecessor Penumbra. SOMA manages to blow both out of the water. The higher budget design is evident in many forms, all of which are positive, such as the much more detailed/interactive and less repetitive environments, and the voice acting all the way through. It's truly one of the least flawed games ever made and it is one of the finest examples of storytelling in the video game medium.

Have you played Penumbra as well? It's another one of the most well-written games out there, and enemies don't disappear like they do in Amnesia.

Sir Beregond 07-19-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Amnesia was one of the most finely crafted horror games ever made, like its predecessor Penumbra. SOMA manages to blow both out of the water. The higher budget design is evident in many forms, all of which are positive, such as the much more detailed/interactive and less repetitive environments, and the voice acting all the way through. It's truly one of the least flawed games ever made and it is one of the finest examples of storytelling in the video game medium.

Have you played Penumbra as well? It's another one of the most well-written games out there, and enemies don't disappear like they do in Amnesia.

Fully agree with your assessment about Amnesia. That is why I enjoy replaying it despite its scripted nature.

I did play Penumbra and definitely agree that is was just a wonderfully written and executed game.

Well I bought SOMA last night and plan to start it tonight. Can't wait!

Sir Beregond 08-14-2016 11:24 AM

Made it to site Theta, and wow. This game is amazing, and easily one of the best games I've played in a long time. Looking into that mirror in the bathroom answered a lot of questions, that's for sure. thumb.gif

Really looking forward to seeing how the story progresses.

boredgunner 08-15-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Beregond View Post

Made it to site Theta, and wow. This game is amazing, and easily one of the best games I've played in a long time. Looking into that mirror in the bathroom answered a lot of questions, that's for sure. thumb.gif

Really looking forward to seeing how the story progresses.

Glad it's living up to your hopes! I'll be replaying everything from Frictional Games again, starting with Penumbra soon. My new surround system demands it. biggrin.gif

Even though there is no "proper" display for SOMA, except perhaps for the latest LG OLED TVs (but the last gen ones were... far from it). IPS glows like radioactive material and all the blacks turn white and the contrast is so poor that it makes many sections blatantly washed out, TN is washed out and blacks aren't deep enough, VA has black crush which will affect a lot of this game. Plasma?

tristanbear 08-16-2016 11:16 AM

I still haven't beaten Amnesia. I beat both the Penumbra titles but I just haven't put the time in to complete it yet.

boredgunner 08-16-2016 02:16 PM

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is excellent, but I feel Penumbra and SOMA are Frictional's most special games. The writing is the main reason; so much more depth to Penumbra and SOMA, and the dialogue of Penumbra is filled with endless quotable lines from multiple characters. Clarence is the best antagonist in gaming in my opinion, and Penumbra is one of the only existential horror games in existence (although Amnesia and SOMA still have some shades of it).

Frictional's ability to write and build up characters off screen (not just Red but even less plot-significant ones like "The Spider Hater" Dr. Roberts), build up events, and impose pressure and guilt on the player by making the player do something unthinkable (a staple of Frictional Games design), are perhaps unparalleled in this industry. Then there is the attention to detail in examining things all around the game world, like Silent Hill. Just hearing its soundtrack makes me want to replay it.

Amnesia's storytelling methods are also more straightforward, relying on audible flashbacks with no gameplay, notes and other written documents. Whereas Penumbra has these, and also moments like... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
When Clarance and the "plague" infect the player, leading to a symbolic dream-like sequence in which we relive earlier moments in the game and witness these memories be devoured by the plague, illustrating its takeover, and we control the moment where Philip escapes its grasp (perhaps the only person to do so). Artistic, visual, less direct and more symbolic and metaphoric storytelling. Or the entire "meeting" with the Tuurngait, which actually involves gameplay.

And Penumbra has more character interaction in general, with Red and Amabel; still straightforward but Amnesia lacks this, only having brief segments with Agrippa which could use more exposition (although these segments still add style, mood, and tone to the game). SOMA has actual dialogue throughout and finds other incredible ways to involve gameplay in the storytelling process, in a way that enhances both the gameplay and storytelling.

SOMA came in and raised the bar with its more detailed and more complex level design (every area is uniquely textured and designed, nothing is missing or out of place, more awe inspiring places), greater enemy variety (almost every enemy encounter is with a unique entity with distinct AI programming), greater gameplay variety (almost every task you must perform is unique).

Once you understand these games and what went into them, they spoil you. You will look at other games and ask why they don't have the same amount of effort, detail, variety, artistic vision, storytelling prowess drawing on the potential of the video game medium, character development, dialogue quality, sound design, etc.

Sir Beregond 08-27-2016 10:39 AM

It's been too long since I've played through Penumbra. I will need to run through that again.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment though. To me SOMA is far and away better than Amnesia for a couple of reasons. The writing really pulls you in and creates a story and atmosphere far more compelling than Amnesia's as you start to piece things together. Sure, in Amnesia you had to piece together why you took the Amnesia potion, and why you were there, but SOMA really throws you through a loop on that front. How did you end up at the bottom of the ocean in seemingly the distant future?

That's not to say Amnesia is bad, it's not, and I call it one of my favorite games. But SOMA really is a cut above in the writing and characters that they've created.

Not to mention the world design. Each station is different, is unique, and there are far more variants of enemies than the 3 (mostly 2) that existed in Amnesia. I mean, don't get me started on how scary Theta and the Curie were.

Anyway, made it to Omicron. I am starting to feel a certain dread with the story as I'm thinking of how it's going to play out and a couple of things are going through my mind that don't sound like happy endings.

boredgunner 09-04-2016 02:40 PM

Interesting list of easy to miss details in SOMA.

https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-31437.html

Most of them I encountered, others require multiple playthroughs to see. Great stuff nonetheless. SOMA doesn't leave anything out.

Sir Beregond 09-30-2016 11:19 PM

Quote:

Interesting list of easy to miss details in SOMA.

https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-31437.html

Most of them I encountered, others require multiple playthroughs to see. Great stuff nonetheless. SOMA doesn't leave anything out.

That was a great read, thank you.

I finally finished the game and have been on a second playthrough.

Wow.

This is easily one of the absolute greatest games I have ever played. To me, Amnesia can't even hold a candle to SOMA.

Starting with the story, it just absolutely blows Amnesia out of the water. As the game progresses, it transcends just a simple story. I never expected a horror game like this to cause me to think as deeply as it did.
Things like contemplating the human existence and what it means to be human. If an extinction level event happened, how does the human race live on? SOMA went to a depth I never expected out of a horror game. You become emotionally tied to the story, the people, Simon (the player character), Catherine (your one friend), and the human race as a whole more and more as the game progresses.

What is life, and what does it mean to be human and alive?

One of the other things about the game, is the decisions you have to make. You think hard about the decisions you have to make in the game because on the surface it can seem like one thing, but when you dig deep and think hard about everything that has happened, happening, and may happen, it could mean something entirely different. And the funny part? You don't necessarily see the results of all your choices in game, but it nonetheless makes a huge impact to you as you play.
Like, killing the WAU might be a no brainer, but then, wouldn't you also kill everyone else still alive through the WAU? Not everything was a mutated monster, and that move could be considering wiping out what is left of "humanity" not on the Ark. I go back to Amy at Upsilon as an example, if you don't kill her.

SOMA to me was not as scary as Amnesia overall. Amnesia did a good job with the monster jump scares and brooding atmosphere, but SOMA is about something deeper, and the kind of horror is more psychological, emotional, and existential which combined with phenomenal writing and narrative weaved carefully into the unique and well crafted world, makes for one of the best games I have ever played. Sure there are monsters (or are they really?), and stressful encounters and can be scary (to me that would be the Fleshers, and Proxies in the Curie and Theta. Those were really scary and stressful encounters), but that is just a small part of the big picture.

I am really loving this second playthrough too, but nothing will compare to the first playthrough and making the revelations you do.

boredgunner 10-01-2016 10:43 AM

I find SOMA scarier because most enemies don't disappear like they do in Amnesia, AI is less generic and enemy design is just creepier to me, and the story implications bring much more horror than Amnesia's victim of circumstance story. I just completed The Talos Principle for the first time. The parallels it and SOMA share and the completely different yet masterful ways both games tackle some of the same existential issues are interesting. Everyone needs to play both.

evoll88 10-01-2016 11:35 AM

I was looking at picking up The Talos Principle but just never have yet. Looks like I will buy it since its been in my steam wishlist for a while now. I was not sure about the game at first but some others have said its good so I will try it out.

Sir Beregond 10-01-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

I find SOMA scarier because most enemies don't disappear like they do in Amnesia, AI is less generic and enemy design is just creepier to me, and the story implications bring much more horror than Amnesia's victim of circumstance story. I just completed The Talos Principle for the first time. The parallels it and SOMA share and the completely different yet masterful ways both games tackle some of the same existential issues are interesting. Everyone needs to play both.

I should clarify.

I did not find myself having the same sort of "jump scare" moments, like I did with Amnesia.

The monsters in SOMA are way more creepier, for sure, but it played in so well with the story and the revelations you make as to who/what the monsters are. I think the scariest parts of the game for me involved the Fleshers in the Curie, and the Proxies in Theta.

umeng2002 10-02-2016 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

I was looking at picking up The Talos Principle but just never have yet. Looks like I will buy it since its been in my steam wishlist for a while now. I was not sure about the game at first but some others have said its good so I will try it out.

Talos is a surprisingly long game. The puzzles are bit tougher than say Portal's. Also you need to do a fair amount of text reading since the story unfolds, basically, through an in-game computer terminal. Still, a good, interesting, and unique game.

Interesting parallels between it and SOMA.

boredgunner 10-02-2016 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umeng2002 View Post

Talos is a surprisingly long game. The puzzles are bit tougher than say Portal's. Also you need to do a fair amount of text reading since the story unfolds, basically, through an in-game computer terminal. Still, a good, interesting, and unique game.

Interesting parallels between it and SOMA.

Yeah it's around 25 hours if you get everything and don't get stuck for too long too often (26 hours 30 minutes for me). A lot of the storytelling is done through narrated "datastores" too. And like we said such interesting parallels not to mention how the name "Soma" is even a part of its story lol. The game could have been called SOMA but here is what it had to say about that:

And interestingly enough both of these games are such a breath of fresh air, and are two of the absolute best games I've ever played as well as two of the most well written and artistic games.

Sir Beregond 10-02-2016 11:18 AM

Ah...that will have to be the next game I pick up. thumb.gif

evoll88 10-02-2016 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info on talos but is this more like portal with just puzzles or is there some fighting/killing like in soma?