Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Networking & Security (https://www.overclock.net/forum/45-networking-security/)
-   -   Running cabling inside my walls? (https://www.overclock.net/forum/45-networking-security/1581193-running-cabling-inside-my-walls.html)

Razroid 11-20-2015 12:13 PM

Well first off I live in Singapore and some of the users here may be familiar with how some of the older HDB (apartment) buildings do not have networking done up.

The problem is that my router is in the living room and my pc will be in another room and I don't like using WiFi so I researched up online about this and found this article.

The article tells me that I can re-purpose the RJ11 lines that my house already has as a RJ45 terminal so I went and tore open one of the telephone terminals to find that it only has 3 pairs of wires and the geek in me spent the next 30 minutes on trying to figure out what kind of cable this is, needless to say I didn't find an answer and so I'm here asking about this.

Anyway, apart from the obvious fact that this is not a RJ45 line, does anybody know if these lines are interconnected and that I can just somehow "feed" a CAT6 into it until it reaches my room? or does anybody have experience on running wall cabling and can give me tips on it? (slight note, this is an apartment building and all the walls are all solid concrete, no way am I going to be able to cut into the wall with a pen knife to run a new line)

All help appreciated thumb.gif

TheN00bBuilder 11-21-2015 12:24 PM

Wall cabling? Thats not too bad. Either run it flush against the corner of the room and the wall, or grab some of these 3M Command "things" for running it on your wall. Paint to match your wall color, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Medium-Cord-Clips-4-Clip/dp/B0000AQOHL

Razroid 11-21-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheN00bBuilder View Post

Wall cabling? Thats not too bad. Either run it flush against the corner of the room and the wall, or grab some of these 3M Command "things" for running it on your wall. Paint to match your wall color, too.

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Medium-Cord-Clips-4-Clip/dp/B0000AQOHL

I have thought of that before and I already have 30m worth of cat 6 for that idea, but it would look ugly and how would I run it into the room and still have the door be close-able :/

I'm thinking of running a new line to replace the existing phone cabling, problem is I have no idea how to identify the cable that runs from my living room to my room and how I would feed the cable from the living room to my room without it being stuck halfway :/

TheN00bBuilder 11-21-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razroid View Post

I have thought of that before and I already have 30m worth of cat 6 for that idea, but it would look ugly and how would I run it into the room and still have the door be close-able :/

I'm thinking of running a new line to replace the existing phone cabling, problem is I have no idea how to identify the cable that runs from my living room to my room and how I would feed the cable from the living room to my room without it being stuck halfway :/

Hrm... Don't think there is a way to tell. If all the lines are not interconnected (which they probably are), you could plug in a corded phone to one and another to the one in your room? IDK. And also, my door's closable even with the 50 ft. of CAT5E i have to run to avoid using wireless.

Razroid 11-22-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Hrm... Don't think there is a way to tell. If all the lines are not interconnected (which they probably are), you could plug in a corded phone to one and another to the one in your room? IDK. And also, my door's closable even with the 50 ft. of CAT5E i have to run to avoid using wireless.

The way I see it when I opened up my phone terminal points, the living room is the "hub" for the phone lines and the cables probably run from there to my room.

Do you run your cables under the door? I was thinking at the top but now that I look at it, under seems like a good idea ._.

TheN00bBuilder 11-23-2015 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razroid View Post

The way I see it when I opened up my phone terminal points, the living room is the "hub" for the phone lines and the cables probably run from there to my room.

Do you run your cables under the door? I was thinking at the top but now that I look at it, under seems like a good idea ._.

Yeah, it'd be a great idea. I would show you pics of mine, but I can't for a while.

Razroid 11-23-2015 08:36 AM

Quote:

Yeah, it'd be a great idea. I would show you pics of mine, but I can't for a while.

But having cables run along my living room ceiling would look ugly, but I guess that's what I'd have to do to achieve awesome speeds :/

ozlay 11-23-2015 08:44 AM

Looks like cat 3 you have there

you could use a powerline adapter which would get you up to 150mb/s or more maybe

It is possible to use cat 3 however you would not get the speed you want it would be less 100mb/s so a powerline adapter would work just as well if not better.

cones 11-23-2015 09:35 AM

If you have carpet you can somewhat tuck the cable under the trim. Just get a cable close to the color of things.

pwalkerttu1 11-23-2015 09:54 AM

Never mind, I missed the part about solid concrete walls.....