Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Monitors and Displays (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/)
-   -   ASUS MG279Q 1440 IPS 144 Hz Adaptive Sync Thread (https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1594770-asus-mg279q-1440-ips-144-hz-adaptive-sync-thread.html)

Arizonian 03-15-2016 10:01 PM

ASUS MG279Q Owners & Discussion Thread




Product Page
Quote:
A Universe of Gaming at Your Command

27-inch, WQHD 2560 x 1440 resolution display with IPS technology provide wide-viewing angles, and clear, vivid visuals

144Hz refresh rate and AMD FreeSync™ technology for seamless visuals and smooth gameplay

ASUS-exclusive Ultra-Low Blue Light, Flicker-Free, GamePlus, and GameVisual technologies provide a comfortable gaming experience

Ergonomically-designed stand with full tilt, swivel, pivot, and height adjustment for comfortable viewing position


Reviews

TFT Central Asus MG279Q Review

Trusted Reviews - ASUS MG279Q Review


Review by Daywalker

Review by =DEAD=

Review by Extrahardware CZ

Review by PRAD

Review by SWECLOCKERS


Where to buy

Amazon

Newegg



Specifications
  • FreeSync™ technology supported (35Hz-90Hz)

Specifcations (Click to show)
Display
Panel Size : Wide Screen 27.0"(68.47cm) 16:9
Color Saturation : 100%(sRGB)
Panel Backlight / Type : In-Plane Switching
True Resolution : 2560x1440 *1
Display Surface Non-glare
Pixel Pitch : 0.233mm
Brightness(Max) : 350 cd/㎡
Contrast Ratio (Max) : 1000:1
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 100000000:1
Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 178°(H)/178°(V)
Response Time : 4ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M
Flicker free
Video Feature
Trace Free Technology : Yes
Skin-Tone Selection : 3 Modes
Color Temperature Selection : 4 Modes
GamePlus(modes) : Yes (Crosshair/Timer)
Low Blue Light : Yes
HDCP support : Yes
VividPixel : Yes
GameVisual :6 Modes(Scenery/Racing/Cinema/RTS/RPG/FPS/sRGB Modes)
FreeSync™ technology supported
Audio Features
Stereo Speakers : 2W x 2 Stereo RMS
Convenient Hotkey
Input Selection

GamePlus
5-way OSD Navigation Joystick
GameVisual
I/O Ports
Signal Input : HDMI/MHLx 2, Mini DisplayPort 1.2, DisplayPort 1.2
USB Port(s) : 3.0x2
Signal Frequency
Digital Signal Frequency : 51.2~221.97KHz(H) / 35~144Hz
Power Consumption
Power Consumption < 38.7W (based on ES 6.0)
Power Saving Mode <0.5W
Power Off Mode <0.5W
Mechanical Design
Chassis Colors : Black
Tilt : +20°~-5°
Swivel : Yes
Pivot : Yes
Height Adjustment : Yes
VESA Wall Mounting : 100x100mm
Super Narrow Bezel Design : Yes
Quick Release Stand Design : Yes
Security
Kensington lock
Dimensions
Phys. Dimension with Stand(WxHxD) : 625 x 559 x 238 mm
Phys. Dimension without Stand (WxHxD) : 625 x 368 x 63 mm
Box Dimension(WxHxD) : 753 x 452 x 224 mm
Weight
Net Weight (Esti.) : 7.3 kg
Gross Weight (Esti.) : 10.5kg
Accessories
Mini-DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable
Power cord
DisplayPort cable (Optional)
Quick start guide
HDMI cable (Optional)
Support CD
Warranty Card
MHL cable (Optional)
Compliance and Standards
Energy Star®, BSMI, CB, CCC, CE, C-Tick, ErP, FCC, J-MOSS, PSE, RoHS, UL/cUL, VCCI, WEEE, WHQL (Windows 8.1, Windows 7), TUV Flicker-free , TUV Low Blue Light, CU(EAC)
Note
FreeSync™ technology supported (35Hz-90Hz)

*1
2560 x 1440 at 144Hz (DisplayPort)
1920 x 1080 at 120Hz (HDMI)







Since there wasn't a place in the Monitors and Display section yet I started this for our members and owners with questions regarding this monitor and place to discuss it. Please feel free to share your experiences, thoughts, pictures and questions. thumb.gif

I will be adding and updating continually. IF any owner would like to assume OP please send me PM.

Tobiman 03-15-2016 10:29 PM

Playing Asserto Corsa on this fantastic monitor atm at 144hz. I want to buy two more. biggrin.gif

MenacingTuba 03-15-2016 11:04 PM

Here are all of the in depth reviews (excluded TFT Central's since it's already in the OP):

Review by Daywalker
Review by =DEAD=
Review by Extrahardware CZ
Review by PRAD
Review by SWECLOCKERS

Malinkadink 03-15-2016 11:11 PM

Curious about anyone who has changed the freesync window to 57-144 from 35-90 and has had some extensive time using the monitor in that configuration. Are there any issues that arose that didn't exist before? Wondering if there is any downside short or possibly long term.

Arizonian 03-15-2016 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenacingTuba View Post

Here are all of the in depth reviews (excluded TFT Central's since it's already in the OP):

Review by Daywalker
Review by =DEAD=
Review by Extrahardware CZ
Review by PRAD
Review by SWECLOCKERS


Thank you added to OP thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

Curious about anyone who has changed the freesync window to 57-144 from 35-90 and has had some extensive time using the monitor in that configuration. Are there any issues that arose that didn't exist before? Wondering if there is any downside short or possibly long term.

From what I've been explained it puts stress on the scalar chip where you can end up with flickering pixels and can possibly fry the scalar when testing wider adaptive sync ranges which adds extra heat.

JunkaDK 03-15-2016 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

Curious about anyone who has changed the freesync window to 57-144 from 35-90 and has had some extensive time using the monitor in that configuration. Are there any issues that arose that didn't exist before? Wondering if there is any downside short or possibly long term.

This i want to know as well! smile.gif

Ha-Nocri 03-15-2016 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

Curious about anyone who has changed the freesync window to 57-144 from 35-90 and has had some extensive time using the monitor in that configuration. Are there any issues that arose that didn't exist before? Wondering if there is any downside short or possibly long term.

Been using it "hacked" from 56-144 Hz for the last few months. Works fine. I think it can easily handle this range, it's just that ASUS saw ~55 Hz as 2 high, especially for this resolution, so they decided to go for 35 Hz. They didn't know AMD would implement LFC.

JunkaDK 03-15-2016 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

Been using it "hacked" from 56-144 Hz for the last few months. Works fine. I think it can easily handle this range, it's just that ASUS saw ~55 Hz as 2 high, especially for this resolution, so they decided to go for 35 Hz. They didn't know AMD would implement LFC.


Good to hear even though a few months is not that much.. how much do you game? Hours per week? smile.gif

I was thinking about getting the mg278 since it supports up to 144hz freesync out of the box, but i really want the IPS panel smile.gif

Ha-Nocri 03-15-2016 11:50 PM

2 hrs per day average I guess. But I remember ASUS talking about it before this monitor came out. They could do to 144Hz freesync, just thought it was more important to cover lower frame-rate.

xSneak 03-16-2016 01:30 AM

Anyone else having this problem? Only happens on unreal engine 4 games, every one of them. My dp cable is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSGa8YQp9kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd9LjeXs4So

JunkaDK 03-16-2016 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSneak View Post

Anyone else having this problem? Only happens on unreal engine 4 games, every one of them. My dp cable is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSGa8YQp9kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd9LjeXs4So

Did you try disabling Freesync? just to see if it makes any difference?

Blackcurrent 03-16-2016 01:38 AM

Excellent monitor have been using it for a few months now

xSneak 03-16-2016 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkaDK View Post

Did you try disabling Freesync? just to see if it makes any difference?

I don't use freesync. I'm pretty sure i have it disabled.

Ha-Nocri 03-16-2016 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSneak View Post

Anyone else having this problem? Only happens on unreal engine 4 games, every one of them. My dp cable is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSGa8YQp9kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd9LjeXs4So

Nope, no problems. At least with Unreal tournament pre-alpha. I have freeSync on.

xSneak 03-16-2016 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

Nope, no problems. At least with Unreal tournament pre-alpha. I have freeSync on.
What about with no freesync?

Majorhi 03-16-2016 12:02 PM

I love my monitor, picked it up this past September on newegg for $575. It's now my center piece in my monitor setup for work/gaming. Haven't gone up to 120 or 144 yet. I game at 1440p so 90 is all I have it set to with freesynch enabled.



Ha-Nocri 03-16-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSneak View Post

What about with no freesync?

Still works fine

Tobiman 03-16-2016 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSneak View Post

Anyone else having this problem? Only happens on unreal engine 4 games, every one of them. My dp cable is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSGa8YQp9kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd9LjeXs4So
My bad. Didn't understand the problem at first until i watched the second video. I don't think it's a freesync problem and I doubt all AMD users are affected.

xSneak 03-17-2016 01:07 AM

I have no problems launching the games with the monitor set to 90hz. It fails the majority of time I try at 144hz. It is the only game engine i have issues with, and unfortunately, one of the most popular indie game engines.

Thanks for feedback earlier.

JunkaDK 03-18-2016 12:10 AM

Hey guys.. hoping for some suggestions/help here.

Yesterday i unpacked my MG279q. Very pleased with the image.. though it has a little IPS glow in the bottom right corner. It's not something i notice while gaming. I've been reading that alot has this issue so.. i guess its just the norm for this screen, though it would expect it to be flawless at this price.

Anyways.. my main issue is that i cannot get freesync to work. I actived it in the OSD and in Crimson 16.3, but whenever i check the OSD it just steady at 144hz even though i can see in benchmarks it is running 60-80 FPS sometimes. I've tested with 3D mark Firestrike, Unigine Heaven and Battlefield 4 - all fullscreen. Tried with V-sync and Crossfire on and off but no difference.

I am running 2 x R9 Fury STRIX in crossfireX. I tried uninstalling with DDU and reinstalling several times. Only thing i haven't removed yet is RadeonPro.. Could that have anything to do with it?

Anyways..

ANY Tips and tricks will be MUCH appreciated on this matter smile.gif

Ha-Nocri 03-18-2016 12:15 AM

You must set refresh rate on desktop to 90 Hz. And in game if the game has the refresh rate setting.

JunkaDK 03-18-2016 12:21 AM

But the panel is a 144hz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

You must set refresh rate on desktop to 90 Hz. And in game if the game has the refresh rate setting.

Why is that? because the standard freesync range is only from 35-90hz? I mean the panel is a 144hz and while doing other stuff than gaming, i would like to take advantage of that nice refresh rate. So setting it to 90hz does not make sense while i understand what you are saying smile.gif

The way i understand the freesync is just that it should activate whenever the FPS dips below 90 FPS.. or am i mistaken? smile.gif

Ha-Nocri 03-18-2016 12:24 AM

did you try it? working now?

Usually max. freeSync range is max refresh rate of the monitor, which is not the case here. That is why I "hack" freeSync range from 56 to 144 Hz.

SystemTech 03-18-2016 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorhi View Post

I love my monitor, picked it up this past September on newegg for $575. It's now my center piece in my monitor setup for work/gaming. Haven't gone up to 120 or 144 yet. I game at 1440p so 90 is all I have it set to with freesynch enabled.



Dude, thats an epic setup. I love it.

JunkaDK 03-18-2016 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

did you try it? working now?

Usually max. freeSync range is max refresh rate of the monitor, which is not the case here. That is why I "hack" freeSync range from 56 to 144 Hz.

I am at work so i cannot try it. :/ I also hacked the freerange range to 56-144.. Are you using CRU or a custom driver? i tried going back to the original driver but that didn't change anything..

Ha-Nocri 03-18-2016 12:28 AM

CRU, since it's so easy to do. But resets every-time I install new drivers.

Malinkadink 03-18-2016 01:49 AM

Anyone use this monitor with a console hooked up as well? I know with a 30 fps game it shouldn't be a problem since we're looking at a 33.33ms frame time, but for 60hz capped games its 16.66ms, and tft shows a total lag of 17ms at 60hz, so i'd expect there to be some frame skipping in such a scenario.

JunkaDK 03-18-2016 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ha-Nocri View Post

CRU, since it's so easy to do. But resets every-time I install new drivers.

After a little research i suspect that RadeonPro could have something to do with it.. i will try to uninstall it when i get home smile.gif

Malinkadink 03-21-2016 02:26 PM

Went ahead and put down an order on one of these threw newegg on the count of the sale, came out to $525. Yeah i use an nvidia card so i cannot use freesync, but with polaris on the way it won't be long until i will get to use it.

Essentially i weighed my options between this and the xb271hu and with this current sale im saving $250 going with the mg279q over the Acer. That's $250 that will go towards a new GPU instead of a monitor that is more or less equal to the asus but uses Gsync instead. The 35-90hz window is rather disappointing when Gsync can work from 30-144hz, but i plan to change it to 57-144hz as i never plan to drop below 60fps in any game ever.

Fingers crossed i don't get backlight bleeding mess, else the lottery begins tongue.gif

xTesla1856 03-21-2016 10:46 PM

I'm picking up mine tomorrow, was originally set on an ultrawide but hen I learned about the MG279Q. My R9 Furies should push that display nicely. I do planon getting 2 more for Eyefinity.

Cyb3r 03-21-2016 10:58 PM

malinkadink gl with it my first screen had 2 dead pixels (both in not really annoying places but still) the replacement had 3dead 5 smeared and backlight bleed from my desk to the end off our dining room and it's not a small room so yeah send the replacement back kept the original but shouldn't be an issue on a 600$ screen but apart from that it's a lovely screen tbh

Jahara 03-22-2016 09:54 PM

Hey all, I wrote a guide on how to soft mod the MG279Q from 35-90 Hz FreeSync to 60-144 Hz. Check it out! thumb.gif

http://nils.schimmelmann.us/post/133778060542/modded-asus-mg279q-drivers-with-60-144-hz-freesync

Malinkadink 03-22-2016 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahara View Post

Hey all, I wrote a guide on how to soft mod the MG279Q from 35-90 Hz FreeSync to 60-144 Hz. Check it out! thumb.gif

http://nils.schimmelmann.us/post/133778060542/modded-asus-mg279q-drivers-with-60-144-hz-freesync

Isn't 57-144hz doable on this monitor? I've seen some even get as low as 56, but thats not guaranteed and i think its pushing it anyways. With 57-144hz LFC will work since 57 * 2.5 = 142.5 which is within the requirement of the minimum refresh being less than or equal to the maximum refresh. 58 immediately breaks that qualification as 58 * 2.5 = 145, so it exceeds the maximum refresh rate.

Jahara 03-22-2016 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

Isn't 57-144hz doable on this monitor?

Yes, some people even have it work at a lowerbound of 54 Hz.

My monitor wasn't super happy at 57 Hz on the low end and I would get occasional black screens. Your monitor might be happier but I haven't had any trouble with 60 Hz being the lower bound.

Malinkadink 03-22-2016 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahara View Post

Yes, my monitor wasn't super happy at 57 Hz on the low end and I would get occasional black screens. Your monitor might be happier but I haven't had any trouble with 60 Hz being the lower bound.

Hmm interesting, i guess i'll see how mine turns out. Worst case scenario i get a similar issue and run it at 59hz so i can still use freesync with 60fps capped games.

mikexo 03-23-2016 04:03 AM

Is there any risk of doing harm to the monitor or voiding warranty in expanding the FreeSync range to 60-144?

Malinkadink 03-23-2016 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikexo View Post

Is there any risk of doing harm to the monitor or voiding warranty in expanding the FreeSync range to 60-144?

I don't really think so, so long as you don't push it too far where the screen may flicker or go black. I'd test 57-144hz and if its fine there leave it, if not go up to 58-144hz and see if there are still issues, so keep going until theres no more problems.

The Eizo FS2735 has two settings for its freesync range, 30-90hz and 56-144hz, the MG279Q is really close to the first range at default since its 35-90hz, so its totally plausible that the MG279Q can handle a range like 56-144hz as well if you get lucky. Worst case scenario you'll use 60-144hz. Only thing with the MG279Q is it doesnt have the freesync range swapping built into the OSD.

Malinkadink 03-23-2016 04:41 PM

Pics (Click to show)






So my unit arrived, huge gash in the box, right on the shipping label rolleyes.gif

To my surprise it looks like the monitor survived the hit as there isn't really too much glaring backlight bleed. All photos are overexposed, one is at 100% brightness, and then 25% brightness, white background was also at 25% background. I can't help but notice a pretty glaring difference in color temperature for the top half the screen vs the bottom half with the lower half being more white, and the top is warmer.

As for dead/stuck pixels theres one stuck pixel at the top right of the screen which isn't the end of the world, but the uniformity is definitely lacking.

Cyb3r 03-23-2016 10:20 PM

malinka i'd send that unit back if it isn't uniform in displaying colors try the dead pixel test online that displays full red / black etc test to see how bad the uniformity is

Malinkadink 03-24-2016 07:43 AM

R 98
G 96
B 100
Brightness 18
Contrast 80
Calibration (Click to show)



Gamma is fine.... greyscale is fine, then theres a total nosedive when it comes to reds. rolleyes.gif

Cyb3r 03-25-2016 08:33 AM

@malinka what tool are you using cause i could compare the values off my MG279Q smile.gif

Iching 03-25-2016 12:38 PM

I just grabbed an open box from Newegg. Fantastic monitor, perfect anti-glare etc. but when I set it to 120/60Hz I get wave/pulsating pixels on the right side of the monitor- both in 2d and 3d. Left side is perfect. At 144Hz there are no issues on both sides.. I tried 4 different DP and miniDP cables but no luck.

Any ideas?

Malinkadink 03-25-2016 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyb3r View Post

@malinka what tool are you using cause i could compare the values off my MG279Q smile.gif

Used a colormunki display after doing a calibration in displaycal using the white led correction file. I did it twice to make sure i didn't mess something up and both calibrations measured >5 Delta E for Red. Theres no question that i got a dud, and its about to be shipped back to newegg.

xTesla1856 03-26-2016 12:52 PM

Hey guys, glad to finally join your ranks with a PG279Q. I got the monitor today and I just can't believe the sheer beauty of it. 1440p @ 144hz is breathtaking, coming from 1080p 60hz. i played Witcher 3 for about 3 hours straight with my eyes firmly glued to the screen. FreeSync is a wonderous thing to behold. But, as with all technology lately, I've had some bad luck: The monitor has one dead pixel, and severe glow in the bottom right corner, much more noticeable than my previous IPS display. I took some pictures with my iPhone 6S, the monitor's brightness is at 30. There is one overexposed picture and one that's pretty close to what my eyes see.




Would you return this monitor? The glow isn't very noticeable during daily use at daylight, but once I'm gaming or watching a movie, it does kinda bother me. I can probably return the monitor no problems at my retailer, as they have a 7 day no questions ask RMA policy.

Here's the dead pixel on the mouse cursor, about an inch off the right edge of the display:

Cyb3r 03-26-2016 04:55 PM

@xTesla1856 yep i'd return that instantly i had similar backlight bleed on my replacement screen i send that one back instead and suffer the 2 dead pixels and 0 bleed on my first screen since i couldn't afford to keep rma'ing screen's to amazon

AvengerNoonZz 03-28-2016 12:30 AM

Hey all,

Does anyone here recommend this monitor? I'm after a 1440p 144hz Freesync IPS monitor and it seems like the only ones I could find locally is the ASUS MG279Q and the Acer XF270HU but I've read the Acer has some problems.

Cyb3r 03-28-2016 10:34 AM

if your willing to play the panel lottery then yes i'd wholehartedly recommend the screen but there's definatly some quality problems going on with the panel maker tbh but if you get lucky enough to have almost none to no backlight bleed and are lucky with dead pixels it's a keeper but do keep that in mind sadly besides benq all other options kinda bite tbh

xTesla1856 03-28-2016 10:58 AM

Still debating whether to return mine or not and play the panel lottery. What if my replacement is even worse? Add in the fact that I live an hour away each way from the store I bought it from and I'm kinda pissed. My previous Dell IPS monitors also had glow, but I didn't notice it as much as I do now. The bottom right corner is the only place I notice it on the MG279Q and against any dark bakground it is annoying, even at daylight.

Cyb3r 03-28-2016 11:18 AM

tesla if the rest off the panel is good you can try to lower your brightness and see if that cleans up the bleed ifnot it's totally upto you on can you stand the bleed or do you want to roll the dice on a return

xTesla1856 03-28-2016 11:34 AM

Brightness is already set to 20, contrast is at 75. Any lower, and it gets too dark for me. I think I'm gonna keep this one and just stand the bleed. After all, it could be much worse. And besides, I'm in love with it rolleyes.gif

Cyb3r 03-28-2016 10:52 PM

yeah the screen is well worth it but the panel maker really needs to fix the bad issues with the panel allready but aou is selling them like hotcakes and there's no competition from either Lg or samsung since they're too bussy with 4k (i'd rather have 144hz than 4k but hey frown.gif )

Eizo is releasing one made on the same panel somewhere down the line this month wonder if that will have the same issues if it does sadly they're in for a storm (since they're asking a premium over even the gsync models)

xTesla1856 03-30-2016 01:18 PM

I decided to RMA my monitor, here's hoping I don't get a lemon back. I set my brightness down to 15 and calibrated the monitor, and still the glow was washing out dark backgrounds like Adobe Premiere and Spotify. I couldn't put up with the glow. Otherwise, the display is to die for. If you have the patience and are willing to roll the RMA dice, it's absolutely worth getting.

SlimDim 03-30-2016 05:43 PM

New to this thread, but I got one of these over the weekend and like tesla had back light bleed in the lower right corner that was too much to ignore so I sent it back last night and waiting for the replacement. Here's hoping.

Curious what you do to calibrate this monitor for best performance. I've read through TFTs review which has a lot of information about which settings are best. Wondering if there is any other reference material I should look over.

Thanks
Slim

Iching 03-30-2016 06:51 PM

I sent back the open box back to Newegg since pixels were going crazy at anything lower than 144Hz and purchased a brand new one. The new one is perfect. Anti=glare is a lot better than on my Dell S2716DG.

Cyb3r 03-31-2016 10:48 AM

@iching when it works it's one off the best displays ever but that's the problem the panel used in this and other 144hz screens is flawed and since AoU has 0 competition in the 144hz market means they don't get punished for weaker quality controll frown.gif

xTesla1856 03-31-2016 12:01 PM

Just picked up my replacement monitor, on my way home now to test and report. Here's hoping it has less bleed !

Cyb3r 03-31-2016 12:41 PM

gl tesla! smile.gif

xTesla1856 03-31-2016 12:59 PM

Got the monitor, adjusted brightness and colors, and oh my f**ing god, I got the perect panel. Close to no bleed, no yellow tinting, just normal silvery IPS glow like my old Dell monitors had. I think I'm in heaven right now, not a single dead pixel to be seen on RGB backgrounds and solid white. No dust under the panel, no coil whine, NOTHING !!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Here's a picture with proper ISO of a solid black screen. Brightness is 18 and contrast is 80. You can only make out the mouse cursor and the "Evaluation Version" banner of MonitorTest.


Call it dumb luck or whatever, perfect panels apparently do exist ! thumb.gif

AvengerNoonZz 03-31-2016 03:39 PM

Is there a lot of blur on this monitor when using freesync?

Cyb3r 03-31-2016 03:46 PM

gz tesla i had to give up on rolling the dice since i really needed a screen back then

Iching 03-31-2016 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyb3r View Post

@iching when it works it's one off the best displays ever but that's the problem the panel used in this and other 144hz screens is flawed and since AoU has 0 competition in the 144hz market means they don't get punished for weaker quality controll frown.gif

I'm not too crazy about AoU either but apparently nobody is interested in making 144Hz IPS panels except for AoU. I think AoU has on and off QC and with demand being so high they're trying to produce and sell as many panels as possible. I'm very fond of LG IPS panels that I have in my 30 inch Dells.

Overall, it's a great looking panel and it looks very good in person. It doesn't have any of that chintzy ROG stuff.

Cyb3r 03-31-2016 10:26 PM

yeah i just wished someone else would counter aou so atleast they'd up their Qc a few damaged panels sure that happens when about 75%+ (hint just guessing but it definitly feels like it) have a flaw in them in one way or another well :/

Iching 04-01-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyb3r View Post

yeah i just wished someone else would counter aou so atleast they'd up their Qc a few damaged panels sure that happens when about 75%+ (hint just guessing but it definitly feels like it) have a flaw in them in one way or another well :/

MG279Q is my 2nd favorite monitor right after my wife's NEC 302W. Dell is also having problems with 144Hz. I had to return on since it had a dead pixel and bloody annoying buzzying at low brightness settings. The replacement is falwless but it still buzzes - common problem.

When I look at my Dells 3007WFP-HC I would say that current displays in terms of quality are complete rubbish.

xTesla1856 04-01-2016 01:43 PM

Just got done playing some Alien Isolation, and boy oh boy was it an experience! Freesync activated and pegged @90hz most of the time, I've never seen smoothness like that ! It also made me realize how great the contrast ratio is and how deep the black levels are, especially once you enable "Deep color output" in the menu. In very dark scenes, I can see some IPS glow but nothing out of the ordinary. Seems I have rediscovered my joy of gaming biggrin.gif

Cyb3r 04-01-2016 04:19 PM

hehe nice tesla you should be able to freesync at 144 tho i'm not doing it on mine since i got an nvidia card (i just didn't want a 144hz gsync panel that wasn't ips at that point (i'm pretty sensitive to viewing angles))

SlimDim 04-08-2016 06:06 PM

Hello there,

So I just received my second one of these monitors and still can notice some backlight bleed in the corners. I'm not great with camera's and could only take this with my iPhone, so it's not as bad as the camera shows. But the rightside corners are noticeable when dark content is displayed.

My question is - how will I know when I get the perfect (or at least close to it) panel? Should it look like Tesla's replacement where the blacks are uniform and balanced? I'm going to keep playing the lottery, but want to make sure I'm cashing in for a better ticket not worse.
Thank for all your help!




Cyb3r 04-09-2016 11:09 AM

simdim that looks like pretty bad bleed it's hard to notice on the iphone photos for sure but it still looks way off

3 corners seem to have extensive backlight bleed

xTesla1856 04-09-2016 04:10 PM

I'd return that.

Arizonian 04-11-2016 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimDim View Post

Hello there,

So I just received my second one of these monitors and still can notice some backlight bleed in the corners. I'm not great with camera's and could only take this with my iPhone, so it's not as bad as the camera shows. But the rightside corners are noticeable when dark content is displayed.

My question is - how will I know when I get the perfect (or at least close to it) panel? Should it look like Tesla's replacement where the blacks are uniform and balanced? I'm going to keep playing the lottery, but want to make sure I'm cashing in for a better ticket not worse.
Thank for all your help!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



If you can see BLB or IPS glow (whichever it may be) while gaming, streaming, watching movies, viewing pictures or on desktop wallpaper, I'd return it. Expect some sort of glow with IPS panels it goes hand in hand, just shouldn't have to put up with it when it's bleeding through ruining content being displayed.

You'll know when you get a good one when you can't see it bleeding through normal usage in your environment through the day. No deeper testing really needed.There is no guarantee you won't get another just like this or worse.

HandGunPat 04-14-2016 11:10 AM

Sold my VG248QE to a buddy, went to go pick up a PG279Q at MC and they were OOS. Picked up a MG279Q with the intent to return it when the PG come back in stock.. Pretty happy with it now and don't think I'll be spending the extra cash on the PG. I've also never used G-Sync before and i'm slightly worried i'm missing out by not using it. tongue.gif

jprovido 04-14-2016 11:12 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBuXRNUWZXU

I got it to work 56-144hz range. sadly enough I had to return my r9 fury. AMD drivers were killing me I couldn't stand it frown.gif might be a conflict with my system or something I don't know I've tried everything even doing a clean install of windows two times!

freesync is awesome tho! I miss it so!

Arizonian 04-15-2016 12:02 AM

@jprovido Sorry to hear about your issues, though congrats on the monitor. thumb.gif

I'm running a fury without issues gaming and concur freesync is awesome. Don't know what to say, if your running an Nvidia GPU only you can determine if your happy without it now that you've seen it.

I can't help but wonder what those issues were gaming you had and if it had anything to do with frame skipping?

I ask that because when you overclock freesync range on a scalar and panel that isn't capable you will get frame skipping. Also a chance you can possibly damage the scalar I think. When I heard you tried the hack to allow wider freesync range I thought it might be conflicting with the firmware.

I read in another thread you did a windows fresh install, that really should have done it if it had anything to do software wise. I only uninstalled Nvidia Geforece, did bradleyw's reg clean, and installed AMD drivers without problems since November. Not sure if two days was enough to trouble shoot it but I understand. smile.gif

jprovido 04-15-2016 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post

@jprovido Sorry to hear about your issues, though congrats on the monitor. thumb.gif

I'm running a fury without issues gaming and concur freesync is awesome. Don't know what to say, if your running an Nvidia GPU only you can determine if your happy without it now that you've seen it.

I can't help but wonder what those issues were gaming you had and if it had anything to do with frame skipping?

I ask that because when you overclock freesync range on a scalar and panel that isn't capable you will get frame skipping. Also a chance you can possibly damage the scalar I think. When I heard you tried the hack to allow wider freesync range I thought it might be conflicting with the firmware.

I read in another thread you did a windows fresh install, that really should have done it if it had anything to do software wise. I only uninstalled Nvidia Geforece, did bradleyw's reg clean, and installed AMD drivers without problems since November. Not sure if two days was enough to trouble shoot it but I understand. smile.gif

nah it was more than that. even with freesync disabled I was still having A LOT OF issues. mostly stuttering and bad performance with some games. I couldn't really understand it tbh. It worked great in GTA V pretty much destroyed my gtx 970 but aside from that and rocket league I've had all sorts of problems with games that I actually play.

I decided the trouble is not worth it. Freesync was nice and all but I had a far more better experience with the gtx 970 and just a regular 144hz IPS 1440p monitor

Farika 04-24-2016 10:16 AM

I have tested CRU and 57-144 or 60-144 range...

Can't have a "valid" at this test : http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

And i have stutters on firefox.

Ha-Nocri 04-24-2016 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farika View Post

I have tested CRU and 57-144 or 60-144 range...

Can't have a "valid" at this test : http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

And i have stutters on firefox.

I had stutters in FireFox so I used opera. I didn't get VALID until I closed all other apps

Farika 04-24-2016 01:09 PM

Don't know why there were stutters on firefox with modded freesync range... It's weird. Perhaps there is frame skipping with the mod ? In game i didn't notice anything... It's ok...

zealord 04-24-2016 01:32 PM

what would you guys say is a good price ($/€) for this monistor used?

Like what would you buy a used MG279Q for (max) ?

jprovido 04-24-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

what would you guys say is a good price ($/€) for this monistor used?

Like what would you buy a used MG279Q for (max) ?

450usd maybe?

zealord 04-24-2016 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post

450usd maybe?

your signature says you are pairing the mg279q with an Nvidia card?

Is it still good even without freesync?

Malinkadink 04-24-2016 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

your signature says you are pairing the mg279q with an Nvidia card?

Is it still good even without freesync?

I had the MG279Q for a day bought from newegg, but sent back due to a defective unit, monitor couldn't display reds even remotely accurately once calibrated which is just wrong for an IPS-type panel. It was very good to use even with a 970. I'm gonna pick another one up locally new for $500 and try again, and if i end up keeping it i'll def be looking at AMD for an upgrade when the new stuff comes out to start using freesync.

$450 used is okay if its "like new", but if its used and or has some defects like a dead pixel here or there then i'd say $400 is a fairer price.

jprovido 04-25-2016 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

your signature says you are pairing the mg279q with an Nvidia card?

Is it still good even without freesync?

i actually bought an r9 fury (the one at the bottom)


here's a video of freesync working at 56-144hz.

Freesync was awesome BUT amd drivers weren't. I'm pretty sure others may have zero issues with their r9 fury but for me it was unbearable. I installed windows twice. tried 4 different drivers but still couldn't fix it. a 144hz IPS monitor is still pretty good without freesync. I'd rather stick with nvidia than deal with the issues. I returned the r9 fury after 2 days it was that bad. Might give polaris a go if drivers get better

jprovido 04-25-2016 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

I had the MG279Q for a day bought from newegg, but sent back due to a defective unit, monitor couldn't display reds even remotely accurately once calibrated which is just wrong for an IPS-type panel. It was very good to use even with a 970. I'm gonna pick another one up locally new for $500 and try again, and if i end up keeping it i'll def be looking at AMD for an upgrade when the new stuff comes out to start using freesync.

$450 used is okay if its "like new", but if its used and or has some defects like a dead pixel here or there then i'd say $400 is a fairer price.

I've read ASUS had QC issues with this monitor. I got pretty lucky. zero backlight bleed, no defects and colors are pretty accurate compared to my 60hz dell IPS monitor it wasn't that bad at all

zealord 04-25-2016 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post

i actually bought an r9 fury (the one at the bottom)


here's a video of freesync working at 56-144hz.

Freesync was awesome BUT amd drivers weren't. I'm pretty sure others may have zero issues with their r9 fury but for me it was unbearable. I installed windows twice. tried 4 different drivers but still couldn't fix it. a 144hz IPS monitor is still pretty good without freesync. I'd rather stick with nvidia than deal with the issues. I returned the r9 fury after 2 days it was that bad. Might give polaris a go if drivers get better

oh no frown.gif

What issues were you having with AMD drivers?

jprovido 04-25-2016 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

oh no frown.gif

What issues were you having with AMD drivers?

like A LOT.

1. can't get the gpu to boot at the first pci-e slot (had to install it on the second slot. looked ugly but I decided to just don't mind it)
2. pretty bad stuttering on Far Cry 3 , 4 and Primal
3. can't play Dota 2 with decent framerates. my 970 can get 144fps @ 1440p stable at 70-80% load. r9 fury can only do 100-130. fps really erratic and gpu is at max load. the thing runs so loud at full load! might not be a big deal for others but 90% of my gaming time is on dota. this is a big deal for me
4. and speaking about the cooler it runs loud and hot!
5. I have problems booting sometimes when I restart. already updated my motherboard to the latest bios problem is still there
6. can't force 144hz on some games that don't natively support them (can easily do this with nvidia control panel)
7. mfer can't overclock for peanuts. overclocking sometimes causes performance hit in benchmarks which was annoying

I'm pretty sure I've missed more but I don't want to think about it tbh biggrin.gif nvidia was a far more consistent experience for me. it just plain works plain and simple.

zealord 04-25-2016 10:28 AM

okay thanks for sharing.

I think I might cave at 380-400€ if price drops that low.

Since there seems to be no alternatives except for the 1000$ EIZO biggrin.gif

jprovido 04-25-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

okay thanks for sharing.

I think I might cave at 380-400€ if price drops that low.

Since there seems to be no alternatives except for the 1000$ EIZO biggrin.gif

but like what Malinkadink said Asus has QC issues with this monitor from what I've read. I've bought this monitor fairly recently so it is possible it has gotten better mine is very good and I'm really finicky about screen quality. might as well give it a try. if it sucks just return it thumb.gif

Dbwiq4616 04-25-2016 10:39 AM

I don't know if I'm ******** or not. I bought this monitor last year (around December I think) and it seemed perfect, tested the pixels of the monitor several times and there didn't seem to be any issues. However, now I'm in a pickle.

I just noticed that there are 2 dead pixels somewhat near the center of the screen, so that's annoying. Actually, it's 1 dead for sure (red/lime/blue/white/black/yellow are all black) and the other is very weird, to say the least. Here's how that one is:

Red: works
Lime: stuck on black
Blue: works
White: stuck on red
Black: works
Yellow: stuck on red

This is very awkward. I've never heard of such strange stuck pixels, nor have I heard of dead/stuck pixels appearing after usage. Very annoying.

Any fixes for the dead/stuck pixels? Tried leaving UDPixel on at 6ms refresh rate (not sure if that's the best for this monitor, but set it to that anyway) and then put the windows over the pixels. No fix after what must've been an hour or more. Same thing with JScreenFix. I tried turning them off and then massaging with microfiber cloth, no go. I don't know if there's anything else I've missed or if I've done something wrong.

Regarding colors and how it feels, I'm in love with it. Also I seem to have very minimal backlight bleed, though I'll check more to be sure. But this pixel situation is killing me.

Malinkadink 04-25-2016 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post

i actually bought an r9 fury (the one at the bottom)

Freesync was awesome BUT amd drivers weren't. I'm pretty sure others may have zero issues with their r9 fury but for me it was unbearable. I installed windows twice. tried 4 different drivers but still couldn't fix it. a 144hz IPS monitor is still pretty good without freesync. I'd rather stick with nvidia than deal with the issues. I returned the r9 fury after 2 days it was that bad. Might give polaris a go if drivers get better

I would love to give Polaris a go to use freesync with this monitor and replace my 970, but it seems like Polaris this summer will only give us an R9 480X which may be as good as an R9 390 at best? With much better efficiency. It looks like Nvidia is going to dominate the high end market until late 2016/early 2017 when AMD releases Vega, so i may stick with the 970 a bit longer or see if i can sell it off and pay no more $50 difference to get a r9 390. Freesync is def worth a $50 loss tongue.gif

Tobiman 04-25-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zealord View Post

okay thanks for sharing.

I think I might cave at 380-400€ if price drops that low.

Since there seems to be no alternatives except for the 1000$ EIZO biggrin.gif
I have no idea what you've experienced in regards to monitors, but for me, I can say that coming from a 1080p 60HZ VA panel to the MG279Q, the experience so far has been sweet gravy. The pixel response time was immediately noticeable even at 60hz and freesync (35hz-90hz) works superbly for adventure games. I can see why people might want to mod for higher ranges but i prefer to turn off freesync then use the 144hz mode for games like Assetto Corsa and BO3. The only downside is that I have some blb on the lower right but it's only noticeable on the startup bios screen and no where else; not even in dark themed games like metro.

I paid $400 for mine used from ebay. The Eizo is worth it, if you have cash to spare, it's possibly more refined. PC centric on youtube even agrees that the PG279Q is slightly better than its freesync counterparts and it's a better idea would be to spend that extra cash on a better GPU.

Malinkadink 04-26-2016 06:44 PM

Got my MG279Q today for $517 new out the door, literally was the only one delivered on the truck today to the store so i got it before too many grubby hands got to it tongue.gif

I tried looking for a manufactured date on the box but couldn't find one, where do they print that? I saw the tag with the S/N and all the other little info and bar codes but couldn't find a date.

Heres an overexposed photo of it from 6 ft or so to eliminate any glow. Theres actually very very little bleed, the glow in the bottom right corner is a bit strong up close but its only really noticeable when the screen is black. I would say that i'm totally content with the monitor and would keep this one as it looks like a really good sample, but theres a dead pixel around 2 inches diagonally to the right from the center. Once its seen it cannot be unseen especially when its in a region that gets a lot of view time. I told myself if i found a dead pixel or two somewhere at the edge i would accept it if everything else was good, and everything else is good, but the pixel is pretty close to smack dab in the center frown.gif


30% brightness


EDIT: I would like to make a correction the first dead pixel i saw is actually a cluster of them, i thought it looked a bit large to be a single dead pixel on a 27" 1440p display. 5 inches or so below that cluster i saw another one as if it just popped up since i didnt see it the first time i scanned over the monitor. Will see about getting an exchange for sure.

Cyb3r 04-27-2016 12:38 AM

@malinka i know the feeling i got dust in the panel itself (ie cannot be fixed by just rubbing and it's distorting the whole pixel sadly) the other actual dead pixel is to the right but i barely notice that one in most use it still annoy's me don't get me wrong but for 0 blb (and i mean 100% 0) and only 2 minor pixel issues i kept it since my replacement had 3 dead 5 smeared (dust + dunno what else) and backlight bleed in the bottom right corner @ what ever brightness frown.gif

sadly i couldn't keep playing the replacement game since i needed a screen asap and it was getting quitte expensive sending the screens back to amazon all the time

Malinkadink 04-27-2016 08:37 AM

I'm gonna definitely get a replacement since i can just do it at the store, but i gotta wait and hope they get more stock, or i could always try the xb271hu, but for $250 more for basically the same monitor with gsync? Not worth that.

MLJS54 04-28-2016 07:07 AM

I'm thinking of grabbing this monitor along with a Fury or a Fury X card.

Quick question: when freesync is enabled, do the AMD drivers auto cap your in-game framerate to the upper freesync range?

Malinkadink 04-28-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJS54 View Post

I'm thinking of grabbing this monitor along with a Fury or a Fury X card.

Quick question: when freesync is enabled, do the AMD drivers auto cap your in-game framerate to the upper freesync range?

I do not have an AMD card but i think there is a setting in the amd crimson suite that can limit your fps, or you can just use msi afterburner with rivatuner which is what i do to limit fps. The only thing with this monitor is it has increased input lag at lower hz ranges and since freesync changes the hz of the monitor dynamically that means that when you're under 144hz you'll have that increased input lag. You can refer to the tft central review for this monitor to see how much lag there is at the various hz ranges.

At just 144hz without freesync this monitor is as fast as any of the other 1440p 144hz AHVA monitors. If you're running with freesync you'll want to make sure to be averaging over 120fps in games if they're competitive in nature. For casual games/playing the added input lag isn't as big of a deal.

MLJS54 04-28-2016 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malinkadink View Post

I do not have an AMD card but i think there is a setting in the amd crimson suite that can limit your fps, or you can just use msi afterburner with rivatuner which is what i do to limit fps. The only thing with this monitor is it has increased input lag at lower hz ranges and since freesync changes the hz of the monitor dynamically that means that when you're under 144hz you'll have that increased input lag. You can refer to the tft central review for this monitor to see how much lag there is at the various hz ranges.

At just 144hz without freesync this monitor is as fast as any of the other 1440p 144hz AHVA monitors. If you're running with freesync you'll want to make sure to be averaging over 120fps in games if they're competitive in nature. For casual games/playing the added input lag isn't as big of a deal.

Thanks. I saw that review. The only game where I'll care about input lag is CSGO. Everything else will most likely be AAA-ish titles where I'll need freesync. My question is, will I have to manually toggle both freesync & FPS cap off, or just freesync, as freesync will override the max fps based on the range?

Malinkadink 04-28-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJS54 View Post

Thanks. I saw that review. The only game where I'll care about input lag is CSGO. Everything else will most likely be AAA-ish titles where I'll need freesync. My question is, will I have to manually toggle both freesync & FPS cap off, or just freesync, as freesync will override the max fps based on the range?

Well the default freesync range for this monitor is 35-90hz, in order to even enable freesync you need to set it to on in the OSD, then go and change your hz to 90 because it will default it to 60hz when you enable freesync in OSD for the first time. This is very cumbersome because if you want to use 144hz again and disable freesync you need to go back into display settings and set it to 144hz and it will change as well as notify you that freesync in disabled since it only works between 35-90hz.

Luckily you wont need to enter the OSD anymore, just change it to 90hz again if you want to use freesync and make sure you're running the game in fullscreen mode. What i would recommend doing though is the little freesync hack to change the monitors freesync range from 35-90hz to 60-144hz instead. This way you can run 144hz 24/7 and just configure in the AMD Crimson software whether you want to enable vsync when you hit the 144fps cap or disable vsync in which case if you go over 144fps it will just act as a normal 144hz monitor with vsync off. That will be useful for CSGO where you want to run the game with the fps completely uncapped.

Ha-Nocri 04-28-2016 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJS54 View Post

Thanks. I saw that review. The only game where I'll care about input lag is CSGO. Everything else will most likely be AAA-ish titles where I'll need freesync. My question is, will I have to manually toggle both freesync & FPS cap off, or just freesync, as freesync will override the max fps based on the range?

if you enable v-sync in game your max fps won't go over 90

Cyb3r 04-29-2016 12:04 AM

personally i don't use any form off vsync (be it gsync freesync or whatever) in csgo since getting higher frames means extra smoothness due to how mouse input is read in csgo (can really be felt when going from 450 > below 300fps on my 144hz)

and yes for 144hz you need a 900 series nvidia card or it won't work has to do with the pixelclock bandwith provided (minimum off 580'ish needed only about 440 delivered on older cards)

VashBengher 05-02-2016 01:40 PM

Hello guys! I need to know if the monitor has the possibility to completly remove the back stand plate for mounting a different monitor desktop arms, like duronic dm351 or something like that. Thankyou very much for the help smile.gif

Lshuman 05-02-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VashBengher View Post

Hello guys! I need to know if the monitor has the possibility to completly remove the back stand plate for mounting a different monitor desktop arms, like duronic dm351 or something like that. Thankyou very much for the help smile.gif

Yes the monitor has vesa mounting on the back. thumb.gif


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.