Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Memory (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/)
-   -   My new DDR2 4x4GB wont work (https://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1595868-my-new-ddr2-4x4gb-wont-work.html)

TheCooler 03-27-2016 12:45 PM

Hello I have a question about installing/upgrading DDR2 memories.
I started with 4x2GB Patriot this works fine.
The upgrade is the Kingston 4x4GB, when I put those in my system will not start even the monitor stays in sleepmode.
When I pull two 4GB sticks from the system starts and everything works fine. All sticks 4GB mem sticks work like this.
I bought this memorie with the notice its suitable for AMD.
It would be great if this can be resolved. I have been working all day to get to this point.

ASUS M4A78 PRO (board)
Phenom II x6 1090T
Kingston 4x4GB PC2-6400 800Hz (upgrade)
Patriot 2x2GB PC2-6400 800Hz (older)

KarathKasun 03-27-2016 12:48 PM

The problem is that you are running the memory clocks too high.

4x high density modules require a lower memory bus speed than 4x low density modules or 2x high density modules. The extra chips on each module put a much higher strain on the IMC.

AFAIK Phenom II chips are only validated to run 4x HD modules at 667 or 533. You may need to run them at 2.0v and looser than spec timings with a CPU-NB voltage boost and reduced CPU-NB clocks to get all 4 modules working at 800 if its even possible.

TheCooler 03-27-2016 01:47 PM

Thanks KarathKasun.

I have been trying your suggestions.
The motherboard doesnt go lower then 667Mhz.

Inserted 4x4GB Kingston
So i started with 2.00V DRAM 667Mhz. See picture. System start but couldn't finish startup W10 freeze.

More power DRAM system starts but still W10 startup freeze.
Even more DRAM V 2.26V system start crashing in loops. Not even W10

I had a look in the DRAM Timings, about this I know nothing about but this is a photo of 2 DRAMS installed.

What did go wrong?

KarathKasun 03-27-2016 01:52 PM

Dont push above 2v, you run a much higher risk of damaging the ram.

If Windows will start with 2 modules installed, get a printout of the SPD tables from CPU-Z and set the timings accordingly in the BIOS (use the values for DDR2-800). Make sure you use a command rate of 2t. Install the other 2 modules and see what happens.
If that fails, set each value to the next highest number and try again.

You could also set CPU-NB voltage to ~1.3v and CPU-NB to 2200.

TheCooler 03-27-2016 02:19 PM

Hope I undertsand this.

So i get this. (printout of the SPD tables from CPU-Z?)

Or is it this? (printout of the SPD tables from CPU-Z?)

And then make changes here, DRAM Timings And then try again.
Should I change DRAM Volts this time?

What numbers is use and where should i use them?

ssateneth 03-27-2016 08:34 PM

huh, didnt know 4GiB modules were made for DDR2. My nforce 790i sli ultra board only supported 2GiB maximum per stick and it was DDR3.

anyways, maybe you're giving too much volts. My friend's computer started getting BSODs, did some tests, it was the RAM. I pushed more volts, the problem got worse. so I instead undervolted and all the memory-related errors went away.

You probably aren't going to be worried overclocking on such an old platform. I suggest just sticking to the JEDEC specifications. 400MHz (800MHz DDR) with 6-6-6-18-24 timings at 1.8 volts. If you still get problems, try less sticks until you're stable. if you aren't stable with 1 stick, then you need to adjust RAM specific settings/volts (try a slower JEDEC speed). if you are stable with less sticks, its your memory controller, so adjust your memory controller settings accordingly.

cookieboyeli 03-27-2016 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCooler View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Hope I undertsand this.

So i get this. (printout of the SPD tables from CPU-Z?)

Or is it this? (printout of the SPD tables from CPU-Z?)

And then make changes here, DRAM Timings And then try again.
Should I change DRAM Volts this time?

What numbers is use and where should i use them?

Starting form the top
TCL 6
TRCD 6
TRP 6
tRTP Auto
TRAS 18
TRC 24
TWR Auto
TRRD Auto
Leave the rest auto for now. Hopefully that boots into windows with all 4 modules... I don't see a Command rate setting on there. My 4x4 800MHz on my Athlon II X4 630 does not like a command rate of 1 either and will not boot to windows...

Keep the voltages bumped up for now as well, but stay below 2.0v on the ram. High density DDR2 can run out of spec (80c) at stock 1.8v without heat spreaders in a poorly ventilated case. It's probably fine above 2.0v but without a temp gun you can't know. One thing is for sure, if 2.0v isn't enough to boot, then much more won't be either.

This may help you:
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/27283-memory-timings-explained-w-suggested-timings-memset-vs-bios.html

TheCooler 03-28-2016 02:47 AM

Wel let me tell you how far I get.

My Mainbord cant get lower then 1.9V DRAM
I have changed the DRAM timing like suggested
Set DRAM on 667MHz
Both settings CPU/NB 2200 from 2400 give same results.
The system starts with 4x4GB Kingston
But crashes in W10

Then I set the DRAM on 800MHz
all same settings and 2200-2400 CPU/NB
And also 1.9-1.99 DRAM V
In these settings the PC doesn't start, cant even enter BIOS, screen stays in sleepmode.

KarathKasun 03-28-2016 04:03 AM

Check for an updated BIOS. I have a feeling you are going to need 533 to get the modules to work together properly.

TheCooler 03-28-2016 05:02 AM

Sadly KarathKasun I have the newest BIOS update/version and there will be no new ones for this board.