Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [GK] HP Screws its Printer Customers With Ink Cartridge Timebomb (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1611805-gk-hp-screws-its-printer-customers-ink-cartridge-timebomb.html)

skupples 12-25-2019 09:30 AM

i just stick to printing as infrequently as humanly possible, in gray scale. It's the best way. It's the same reason i had blades instead of skateboards as a kid. Gotta save the treeees.

otherwise? ask someone that works in an office to run off some laser color for you, if you don't have access yourself.

ltpdttcdft 12-25-2019 12:10 PM

Inkjet = dumpster fire.
Black & white lasers are now extremely cheap to buy and run.

Only problem left is color.

Can anyone recommend a reliable, low TCO color laser/LED/other powdered toner based printer (no liquid ink) in 2019?
Preferably without suicide chips? Extra points for a healthy aftermarket supplies market, especially for the toners and transfer drums/belts.

skupples 12-25-2019 03:41 PM

^ brother color laserjet. They won't be cheap, but it'll be the last printer you ever buy.

only suicide chip is in the drums, and you can reset those from ui.

Hydroplane 12-25-2019 04:42 PM

My last printer was an HP color laserjet... gave it away on Craigslist in 2015 and frankly the guy who took it away was doing me a favor. It was worth less than 0 dollars to me, it was such a piece of junk. For the once a year I still actually need to print something, I do it at work.

delerious 12-25-2019 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnb99 (Post 28251484)
That’s the gimmick with those printers. Enough ink for a lifetime but better use it in a month or it’ll clog up from lack of use.
Enough Ink for a year but it expires in a month.

Printer ink is such a rip off

Almost as bad, my Epson photo printers would need a cartridge replacement and after replacing it, I would watch the remaining cartridges levels drop when charging the new one. It was cheaper to replace multiple colors at once than watch them drain without printing.

D-EJ915 12-25-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skupples (Post 28251786)
^ brother color laserjet. They won't be cheap, but it'll be the last printer you ever buy.

only suicide chip is in the drums, and you can reset those from ui.

Issue with brother is their software is even worse than HP and their support is worse too if you can even believe that. Lots of mom & pop shops my company supports buy them but why stuff never works right with the scan to email or what not and their support never has an answer lol.

If you have a business just rent a real copier imo, it's worth saving the headache and ticket costs from your on call it dept every month lol.

skupples 12-25-2019 06:41 PM

i've been lucky enough to never have to reach out to their support in 6 years of ordering their big boy laser colors for c level folks. though we did recently switch to HP's laser color due to the 9xxx series we were ordering going EOL soon or something.

Hwgeek 12-26-2019 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnb99 (Post 28251484)
That’s the gimmick with those printers. Enough ink for a lifetime but better use it in a month or it’ll clog up from lack of use.
Enough Ink for a year but it expires in a month.

Printer ink is such a rip off

Cloging issue is there yes if you aren't using it at least once in two weeks- you need to do head cleaning, it also depends on the Humidity in your place.
Regarding the expiretion time- not true, I bought the Epson in 2018 and the exp date on the ink is 2021.

The-Real-Link 12-26-2019 02:44 AM

Had an HP Officejet that lasted over 10 years until finally some ink hose kinks and dried up ink finally made it to where it wouldn't accept new cartridges / print. Ended up just investing in a color laser since most everything else I have is Canon anyway. But yeah wouldn't touch another HP product after just spending so much on ink.