Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   Hardware News (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/)
-   -   [GK] HP Screws its Printer Customers With Ink Cartridge Timebomb (https://www.overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1611805-gk-hp-screws-its-printer-customers-ink-cartridge-timebomb.html)

chir 09-19-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

Who buys ink cartridges anyway? It's cheaper just to buy a new printer.

Which tells you everything you need to know about the consumer printer market.
Printers come with very small sample cartridges. The proper cartridges are much longer lasting, especially if there's an "XL" variant like Canons low-end models do. Still though, cartridge prices are a scam. You can buy a thing that resets the EEPROM or whatever, and refill the ink from a bottle if you find the right ink. Saves a crapton of money.

Or buy a proper laser, that works too I guess.

Lady Fitzgerald 09-19-2016 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanimefan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

This is why I only buy Brother printers, and make sure my work does too.

I have a really nice epson.

Nice Epson is an oxymoron. I've owned two Epson products—an inkjet printer and a flatbed scanner—and both were garbage. The inkjet heads were constantly getting clogged. I had to retime the scanner before every time I used it plus the UI was pretty bad. You couldn't give me anything from Epson except to use for target practice.

Lady Fitzgerald 09-19-2016 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakecharmed View Post

...I'm not so sure that I wouldn't just send the images off to a reliable third party for printing.

That's exactly what I used to do when I need a photo quality print after I first got a laser printer. I would just load the files on a USB stick and go the nearest Walgreens with a photo lab. In the long run, it is far cheaper unless you are making prints on an almost daily basis. I haven't needed any photo prints is several years, though.

Butthurt Beluga 09-19-2016 12:07 PM

Probably not good for me as the business that I work for sells mostly ink & toner supplies, most of which is not OEM HP cartridges.

It confuses me though, how can HP do this? There's relatively large re-manufactured toner companies, like MSE, that make reman. toner.
Isn't that pulling the rug out beneath other multi-million dollar businesses?

Lady Fitzgerald 09-19-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chir View Post

...Or buy a proper laser, that works too I guess.

That is the best solution. Most laser printers are far more economical to use per page than an inkjet, even with the higher initial purchase price of the laser printer factored in.

GingerJohn 09-19-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chir View Post

Still though, cartridge prices are a scam.

It would probably be cheaper to perfect the technology to either resurrect or clone Bob Ross and have him paint everything directly from your screen than it would be to buy official ink cartridges.

Snakecharmed 09-19-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

That is the best solution. Most laser printers are far more economical to use per page than an inkjet, even with the higher initial purchase price of the laser printer factored in.

I remember back in 1994 when a top of the line HP DeskJet color was pushing $500 and a black and white HP LaserJet was a couple hundred above that. Having owned color inkjets right up until 2013, I was shocked at how little a color laser cost nearly 20 years later.

I know that color inkjets are dirt cheap now too (my Canon inkjet prior to my current color laser was $70), but what I paid for my color laser is nothing compared to the prices from back in the '90s. Totally worth it considering I spent another $80 on ink for that Canon before it gave me some print head error and I mothballed it.

chir 09-19-2016 12:24 PM

The cheapest Canon injket, MG2550 uses cartridges where the print head changes with the cartridge. Pretty great for being a $45 printer. Also calibrates itself with a calibration sheet + scan upon first installation. Having worked in a print lab, I think the picture quality is great, especially for the price. Replacement ink is aboutsies $60 in total for both XL cartridges that should last casual user at least several months. Good if you don't want to commit to a big color laser, or want relatively awesome small photos printed on a budget.

Then again, getting the pictures printed by a professional is better and cheaper so eh.

In all honesty, the inkjet printer business strategy should die. Terrible price gouging.

tpi2007 09-19-2016 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy9000 View Post

This is why I only buy Brother printers, and make sure my work does too.

This, this and this.

Another great feature of this business that some companies use, like Canon, for example, is when there is something wrong with the ink cartridges or some unknown error message, the multi-function ceases to function, period. The scanner part, which should be completely fine, refuses to work until you solve the ink problem.

Some printer makers get away with way more than they should be legally allowed to.

Snakecharmed 09-19-2016 12:34 PM

I will say that my Canon inkjet had fantastic print quality, but it wasn't worth the upkeep. I should also clarify that it wasn't a print head error, but some other replaceable hardware error that needed me to perform a series of troubleshooting steps before I could eventually do a factory reset, and it would only be good to go after I got another set of ink cartridges because I was out of ink yet again when the error happened. I swore that printer burned through that last set of ink cartridges after 10 power-on cycles in a year despite hardly printing anything on paper.

As for HP, my last HP angered me enough that I took a baseball bat to new cartridges that dried out for no good reason other than being past the expiration date on the packaging (these cartridges predated the generations when they set their cartridges to have a drop dead date). Inkjets and the entire business model behind them suck.