Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community

Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community (https://www.overclock.net/forum/)
-   NVIDIA (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/)
-   -   Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! BIOS Flash To AMP! Extreme Edition (https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1612207-zotac-gtx-1080-amp-bios-flash-amp-extreme-edition.html)

Insan1tyOne 09-23-2016 10:01 PM

Hello Everyone,

I just recently purchased a Zotac GTX 1080 AMP card for $580 and after doing a bit of research it would seem to me that there is absolutely zero difference between the PCB used for the "Amp!" cards and the PCB used for the "Amp! Extreme" cards. Thus, I have decided that when I receive my new card, that I will be attempting to flash it over to the Extreme BIOS (using NVflash) so that I can grab the higher power target and increased stock / boost clocks.


Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! PCB: (BIOS FILE HERE - TPU)

cooler3.jpg


Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme PCB: (BIOS FILE HERE - TPU)




I figured I would create this post ahead of time to see if any other users have attempted this, and / or if anyone would advise against doing this for any reason, as I definitely would not want to brick this brand new card. If all goes well, I am planning on turning this thread into a "how-to" guide so that other owners of the plain "AMP!" card can switch over to the Extreme version.

Edit: If any current owners of the plain "AMP!" edition would like to attempt this before I receive my card this coming week, please feel free to do so and report back on your findings!

Thanks!

- Insan1tyOne thumb.gif

davepk 09-24-2016 08:24 AM

Techpowerup shows two different BIOSes for the extreme.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=Zotac&model=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&did=10de-1b80--&since=

The BIOS you linked to shows the following power limit. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/185008/zotac-gtx1080-8192-160616
Quote:
Board power limit
Target: 270.0 W
Limit: 326.0 W Adj.
Range: -50%, +21%

The other BIOS shows the following. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/183937/zotac-gtx1080-8192-160603
Quote:
Board power limit
Target: 320.0 W
Limit: 386.0 W
Adj. Range: -50%, +21%

I have an Extreme arriving soon and was curious about bios options and noticed this.

Has anyone here tried both?

Insan1tyOne 09-24-2016 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepk View Post

Techpowerup shows two different BIOSes for the extreme.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=&manufacturer=Zotac&model=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&did=10de-1b80--&since=

The BIOS you linked to shows the following power limit. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/185008/zotac-gtx1080-8192-160616
The other BIOS shows the following. https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/183937/zotac-gtx1080-8192-160603
I have an Extreme arriving soon and was curious about bios options and noticed this.

Has anyone here tried both?

I am not sure if anyone has tried both, but if you are receiving a new Extreme Edition soon, you should use NVFlash to save its latest BIOS and post it here (or on TPU) for us to use / examine. That way we would know what the official specifications for the Extreme Edition BIOS is.

- Insan1tyOne biggrin.gif

Samikka 09-25-2016 10:38 AM

I have AMP Extreme with 86.04.17.00.BA bios version (326.0 W limit according to techpowerup). I flashed 86.04.17.00.04 (386.0 W limit according to techpowerup) bios on it using zotac`s firestorm software. My fps in furmark fell from 91 to 87 and my power usage from the wall fell from 470-490 Watts to around 430 Watts. After i flashed it back everything returned to "normal".

davepk 09-25-2016 11:29 AM

Thanks for testing that. Mine also came with 86.04.17.00.BA

I guess the real solution is to wait for BIOS editing to become available.

Either way i'm really happy with my Extreme.

Getting 2012Mhz out of the box is quite something, though i can only add 10Mhz (2023) to the clock, any more and it starts crashing.

And, the mem easily bumped up to 5508Mhz (+100)

All while staying below 60C on a user specified fan curve that stays below 75%.

Samikka 09-25-2016 12:29 PM

I have +52 (over 2100) on core clock, +200 on memory clock, 120% power limit and +100 Core voltage (%). I have played r6 siege on it and runned firestrike and it has been stable for the week i have owned it. I can`t push core clock much further and i haven`t tried to push Memory clock further

Insan1tyOne 09-25-2016 12:48 PM

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samikka View Post

I have AMP Extreme with 86.04.17.00.BA bios version (326.0 W limit according to techpowerup). I flashed 86.04.17.00.04 (386.0 W limit according to techpowerup) bios on it using zotac`s firestorm software. My fps in furmark fell from 91 to 87 and my power usage from the wall fell from 470-490 Watts to around 430 Watts. After i flashed it back everything returned to "normal".
Quote:
Originally Posted by davepk View Post

Thanks for testing that. Mine also came with 86.04.17.00.BA

I guess the real solution is to wait for BIOS editing to become available.

Either way i'm really happy with my Extreme.

Getting 2012Mhz out of the box is quite something, though i can only add 10Mhz (2023) to the clock, any more and it starts crashing.

And, the mem easily bumped up to 5508Mhz (+100)

All while staying below 60C on a user specified fan curve that stays below 75%.

Thank you for confirming this guys, now us normal "AMP!" owners know that 86.04.17.00.BA is the correct version to use when we want to try flashing up to the "Extreme" edition. My normal "AMP!" edition just shipped today, so hopefully I will have it in hand by the end of the week and will be able to test flashing it over to the "Extreme" edition using the aforementioned BIOS.

- Insan1tyOne thumb.gif

Reefer 09-29-2016 10:45 AM

Gonna follow this.

my bios version is 86.04.17.00.A2.

Curious if this is gonna work...

Insan1tyOne 09-29-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer View Post

Gonna follow this.

my bios version is 86.04.17.00.A2.

Curious if this is gonna work...

According to that BIOS revision you have the normal "AMP!" edition of the card as well... Seeing as both of the PCBs are identical except for the "Extreme" edition having a larger stock air-cooler, I see no reason why this would not work. In theory there are only two things that I could see going wrong from this:

  1. The card becomes unstable because it cannot support the higher clocks.
  2. The card overheats / becomes louder due to the higher default power target and power limit.


But those are fairly small risks, so I think that everything will go well. My AMP! edition is supposed to arrive today, so hopefully I will be able to complete this test tonight.

- Insan1tyOne thumb.gif

Reefer 09-29-2016 03:51 PM

Yeah it is the normal Amp edition... While running Firestrike and Time Spy @ 2050 (+232) GPU and @ 5500(+500) Mem. The temps are not going over 73°C.

Will try the Bios tomorrow. Mine just arrived today aswell... so first wanted to test a bit ...

Keep you posted....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

According to that BIOS revision you have the normal "AMP!" edition of the card as well... Seeing as both of the PCBs are identical except for the "Extreme" edition having a larger stock air-cooler, I see no reason why this would not work. In theory there are only two things that I could see going wrong from this:

  1. The card becomes unstable because it cannot support the higher clocks.
  2. The card overheats / becomes louder due to the higher default power target and power limit.


But those are fairly small risks, so I think that everything will go well. My AMP! edition is supposed to arrive today, so hopefully I will be able to complete this test tonight.

- Insan1tyOne thumb.gif


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.